• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 appears to show physical games taking up much less space than digital (but they aren't)

DryvBy

Edit: someone proves just how stupid I am and that's all I wanted from this outside of laughing at the digital vs physical weirdo wars.

Last edited:

DryvBy

This was already debunked the other day wasn't it?

I took shots between the two

Disc version, fully installed:
EnKhnYnW4AITXGz

Digital version, fully installed:
EnKhnhsXMAEM_Kn

DryvBy

How is this possible?

We couldn't figure it out but when you play Creed, they have lots of pre-rendered action sequences. I'm assuming the movies are running from the disc on the disc version. But then with Demon's Souls, I have no idea what's going on there. It's a 20GB difference.

If someone has COD and wants to verify their storage size, post it and I'll get a screen of mine from the storage section itself or the way I did Creed.

Can you choose language on disk version? I thought maybe only system default language files are installed. (voice, cinematics)
And how much is Day 1 patch (and other) weights?

Both have the same patch. But as I said above too, I think the disc version is streaming the cinematics vs loading them from the drive.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
I took shots between the two

Disc version, fully installed:
EnKhnYnW4AITXGz

Digital version, fully installed:
EnKhnhsXMAEM_Kn
Interesting. What's the "starting the app" thing? Ineligible on the disc version?

When you actually play the disc version can you get up close and hear/feel if the disc is spinning at any time? It must just be loading video or audio from the disc, only possible explanation.

-Arcadia-

Banned
We couldn't figure it out but when you play Creed, they have lots of pre-rendered action sequences. I'm assuming the movies are running from the disc on the disc version. But then with Demon's Souls, I have no idea what's going on there. It's a 20GB difference.

If someone has COD and wants to verify their storage size, post it and I'll get a screen of mine from the storage section itself or the way I did Creed.

Both have the same patch. But as I said above too, I think the disc version is streaming the cinematics vs loading them from the drive.

I think this is spot-on. The removal of 4K cinematics, could, by themselves, lead to a massive decrease.

Incredibly smart by Sony, if so.

Something like the CoD difference, though... we need OP to come through with more screens first, but that one seems too big for cinematics.

Edit: You are the OP. This is... awkward.

Last edited:

kingwingin

Interesting. What's the "starting the app" thing? Ineligible on the disc version?

When you actually play the disc version can you get up close and hear/feel if the disc is spinning at any time? It must just be loading video or audio from the disc, only possible explanation.
Ineligible is because the disc isn't in the console

nosseman

it's been like that since ps3~

I asked the question a couple of months ago and many people was SURE that it was the same - If you buy physical copy it gets installed and the disc is just used as a dongle to prove you have the game.

Here is the thread:

Well - that is another point NOT to get the digital PS5 - smaller SSD AND the games take more space.

TheKratos

Nah the 16gb-40gb is too much of a difference, something feels off. The screen you're showing is the disc info. I rather see the screen of actual storage used.

dolabla

Apparently disc version is smaller on Xbox (Series X) too? At least for CoD. My disc version shows 130.7gb installed (with hd textures, ray tracing, etc all installed). This article is of the digital version and it's listed as 187.9gb. https://www.videogameschronicle.com...r-install-requires-190-gb-on-xbox-series-x-s/

While Activision recently said the game’s initial file size at launch is 136 GB on Xbox Series X/S, a full install actually takes up 187.9 GB, a screenshot (below) originally posted on Reddit reveals.

Edit: Here's a photo of mine on Series X:

RBjvRPx.jpg

Last edited:

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Do you have an external HDD attached OP? My Mortal Kombat 11 install size is about 12GB but it downloaded nearly 60 GB of data... Could that be installed on the HDD instead?

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

I don't know how it's possible for Valhalla to weigh ~17GB. Even if you remove other languages it's still a huge game. Is the disc drive active during gameplay? With PS4 retail games I actually like that the drive always stays silent after the first boot, especially if the drive itself is quite noisy in an older console model.

Last edited:
Top Bottom