• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 appears to show physical games taking up much less space than digital (but they aren't)

Thief1987

That is the storage used. But here's another more in-depth of a screen I took just now:

wOqY33r.jpg
Iirc part of games data also in the "Other" category, did you check there?

Last edited:

AeneaGames

I asked the question a couple of months ago and many people was SURE that it was the same - If you buy physical copy it gets installed and the disc is just used as a dongle to prove you have the game.

Here is the thread:

Well - that is another point NOT to get the digital PS5 - smaller SSD AND the games take more space.

SSD has the same size in both digital and bluray editions

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Hold up hold up. If there's data to be read on the disc, wouldn't that mean digital loads faster because all the data is on the ssd, since the blu ray disc drive is slower than the ssd?

They have to get access somehow to the data, and a loading on a physical disc is slower than the digital disc.

ZywyPL

Banned
How the hell is that even possible? Either the rest of the data is being streams from the discs, or is installed later on, or there's simply something fishy going on here...

Vae_Victis

Banned
OP, can you double-check the size figures by adding them all up to see if the reported free space makes sense, or something is being undercounted by the OS somewhere?

Eg. if you add all your game sizes and the reserved for system space, and it turns out you should have 160GB free but the system says you only have 91, then it's likely a bug in displaying the size of disc games.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Does it add data over time? 17gb sounds ridiculously small for AC.

PS4 ripped the entire disc to the console, which could take quite a while. If PS4 still uses the disc its kind of a game changer because it saves a lot of storage. Though you lose quick resume I guess.

They should cut languages on a per region basis though.

Last edited:

cragarmi

OP, can you double-check the size figures by adding them all up to see if the reported free space makes sense, or something is being undercounted by the OS somewhere?

Eg. if you add all your game sizes and the reserved for system space, and it turns out you should have 160GB free but the system says you only have 91, then it's likely a bug in displaying the size of disc games.
For some reason a good chunk of data from the disc is being shown as 'other' in storage, this could just be a bug, or stored here temporarily until the game and patches have fully installed. It is odd to say the least

Three

We couldn't figure it out but when you play Creed, they have lots of pre-rendered action sequences. I'm assuming the movies are running from the disc on the disc version. But then with Demon's Souls, I have no idea what's going on there. It's a 20GB difference.

If someone has COD and wants to verify their storage size, post it and I'll get a screen of mine from the storage section itself or the way I did Creed.

Both have the same patch. But as I said above too, I think the disc version is streaming the cinematics vs loading them from the drive.
Game audio and movies streaming from the disc are probably huge. Especially if the game installs all languages.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I have the same Other size as my digital friend. But even so, wouldn't Other also be for digital copies of the game?

I think you need to add up all your game space and also include the OS data and see if everything adds up properly.

sublimit

Banned
This is nice. People always act like games are never actually on the disc and you have to basically the entire thing. Proves them wrong. More reasons to keep buying physical.
This.
It pisses me so much when people who support digital and subscription services say that crap in order to make physical look as if it has no advantages over digital.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Game audio and movies streaming from the disc are probably huge. Especially if the game installs all languages.
I made a thread about language sizes and their impact on total game size and people said it wouldn’t be much of an issue at all. Looks like this might be proving that to be wrong

rapid32.5

Soulsborne games last gen were mostly under 20GB.
1TB SDD is nothing to get excited about, 5TB should be ok by the end of this gen.

sn0man

I don't know how it's possible for Valhalla to weigh ~17GB. Even if you remove other languages it's still a huge game. Is the disc drive active during gameplay? With PS4 retail games I actually like that the drive always stays silent after the first boot, especially if the drive itself is quite noisy in an older console model.
Not to mention saving the life of the drive itself.
Cant wait for this thread to fail and the smug op to have egg on their face. No way does Sony design a console with SSD storage then parts of games run from slow-ass bluray drive ffs 🤣
The IO system is supposed to be fast. Maybe pulling from two places at one time for certain tasks is faster
Hold up hold up. If there's data to be read on the disc, wouldn't that mean digital loads faster because all the data is on the ssd, since the blu ray disc drive is slower than the ssd?

They have to get access somehow to the data, and a loading on a physical disc is slower than the digital disc.
True but if the data on SSD is selectively installed because say a language pack isn’t installed it might be faster on SSD. Less data to address/access/retrieve etc.

ethomaz

Banned

Well that is not the case if it is not critical data for the render... like music, video, etc... it can be streamed from the disc without any issue.

Three

I made a thread about language sizes and their impact on total game size and people said it wouldn’t be much of an issue at all. Looks like this might be proving that to be wrong

If you look at timestamp 29:50 the different languages can take up a fair bit of space. I think for spiderman it ads up to around 8GB for sound and movies.

Hairsplash

Last night my brain decided to look at my drive space on my PS5 since I have all but the NBA 2K21 launch game installed now and I noticed I still wasn't out of room after installing Call of Duty Black Ops Soviet Russia. On the back of the box, it says the minimum size required was around 230GB. This is excluding the campaign which is a digital download. With all modes installed, my COD is around 140GB installed. I thought that was strange so I checked some others with a friend tonight and he was blown away/confused.

I have a disc drive on my PS5 (as it should be) and my friend has a digital only because he only buys digital games. We checked the file size of each game that I had a physical copy vs his digital copy. Then we tested each game digital to digital to make sure my PS5 wasn't acting funny or his wasn't. Here's a list of games we tested:

-Assassin's Creed - disc version is ~16GB; digital is ~40GB.
-Demon's Souls - disc version is ~32GB; digital is ~52GB.
-(he didn't have COD digital yet)
-Spider-man was the exact same size for both of us

That's just an example of the differences we saw. So not only am I saving money, I'm saving drive space as well going physical. And they say digital only is the future...

is the game “slower” todo some things... like the first time you load a level it takes more time?
that game has a ps4 version, right. does the disc version of the ps4 vs digital version do the same thing?... (space wise)
is the ps4 disc version the same speed on the disc version for ps5?
is the digital version faster in loading at all?

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
could this just be a bug at not reading install sizes on disc games properly. seems a bit mad the difference, and the SSD being so quick to stream off the disc even for FMV would be much slower

DryvBy

I think you need to add up all your game space and also include the OS data and see if everything adds up properly.

Sorry to get back to this thread late. I thought the same thing and went ahead and added up all everything. It's adding up perfectly to what the sizes are vs what it says its using.

I saw some questions if I ever hear the drive running. Sometimes, yes, I'll hear the drive kick on. The machine is dead silent otherwise but every now and again you'll hear that little motor spinning that disc.

BONUS: Because I'm SUCH a great guy, I went ahead and bought a PHYSICAL copy of MK11 to compare to my digital copy as well. I'll report after work in a few hours but I have it installing now. I just wanted to test more games.

If anyone has a digital copy of COD, post a screen of the file size.

Also, if anyone has Assassin's Creed Van Halen on Xbox Series X on the disc, let us know what it shows it's using on the drive too. I'm curious if the drives are storing crap because this is a huge win for me since I buy way too many freakin' games! (I own all but NBA 2K11 so far on PS5)

Barakov

Gold Member
Last night my brain decided to look at my drive space on my PS5 since I have all but the NBA 2K21 launch game installed now and I noticed I still wasn't out of room after installing Call of Duty Black Ops Soviet Russia. On the back of the box, it says the minimum size required was around 230GB. This is excluding the campaign which is a digital download. With all modes installed, my COD is around 140GB installed. I thought that was strange so I checked some others with a friend tonight and he was blown away/confused.

I have a disc drive on my PS5 (as it should be) and my friend has a digital only because he only buys digital games. We checked the file size of each game that I had a physical copy vs his digital copy. Then we tested each game digital to digital to make sure my PS5 wasn't acting funny or his wasn't. Here's a list of games we tested:

That's just an example of the differences we saw. So not only am I saving money, I'm saving drive space as well going physical. And they say digital only is the future...
That'll make the fridge re-arranging a little bit easier. Physical wins again.

Sorry to get back to this thread late. I thought the same thing and went ahead and added up all everything. It's adding up perfectly to what the sizes are vs what it says its using.

I saw some questions if I ever hear the drive running. Sometimes, yes, I'll hear the drive kick on. The machine is dead silent otherwise but every now and again you'll hear that little motor spinning that disc.

BONUS: Because I'm SUCH a great guy, I went ahead and bought a PHYSICAL copy of MK11 to compare to my digital copy as well. I'll report after work in a few hours but I have it installing now. I just wanted to test more games.

Also, if anyone has Assassin's Creed Van Halen on Xbox Series X on the disc, let us know what it shows it's using on the drive too. I'm curious if the drives are storing crap because this is a huge win for me since I buy way too many freakin' games! (I own all but NBA 2K11 so far on PS5)
I would play the shit out of AC Van Halen!

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
The most likely scenario here is that you are seeing a bug in how it's reporting file sizes. Probably incorrectly stating the size for each game, maybe only showing what has been downloaded.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

I've been 100% digital since late 2014, and with only 2TB that I usually need 20-30% of it. With current internet speeds downloading the game again shouldn't be a problem.

But that's great news nonetheless, thanks for sharing! So this is true after all:

mgxr3k4s85z51.jpg

DryvBy

I've been 100% digital since late 2014, and with only 2TB that I usually need 20-30% of it. With current internet speeds downloading the game again shouldn't be a problem.

But that's great news nonetheless, thanks for sharing! So this is true after all:

mgxr3k4s85z51.jpg

Get ready to be called a liar over and over lol. As if I'd benefit from lying about this. I just wanted GAF to be FIRST! on this.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Haha yeah everybody has fiber internet lol.

For the ones that go digital. Although I just upgraded from 16Mbps bullshot ADSL to 200Mbps fiber. Survived with that since 6 years now (downloading the game while in rest mode as I usually preorder my games and download them 1-2 days prior to launch).

Everyone has different ways of gaming, I usually delete the game after a while when beaten, rarely check the game again if not MP game.

paypay88

Banned
this is not truth , shit thread.

all games are played on from drive and they have all exact same size.
disk is useless trade/selling tool at this point since content on disk already outdated before game arrives to your copy.

you may not like digital gaming thats fine but dont think you "own" games when what you own is simple plastic selling tool

Sethbacca

Can you choose language on disk version? I thought maybe only system default language files are installed. (voice, cinematics)
And how much is Day 1 patch (and other) weights?

You can choose to install or uninstall the extra voice packs on AC for sure. I saw it last night when I was peeking through the options. I think it was in the little "..." button menu next to the play button from the splash screen that I found it

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

LOL @ the bolded.

image.jpg

Top Bottom