• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro Was a Test Case for PlayStation 5 Lifecycle, According to Sony.

SleepDoctor

Banned
I guess we will have to wait and see. Better visuals isn't limited to just resolution and framerate, but expecting 8K/120 is one of the more absurd things I have seen written. Its probably 4 years before high end GPUs reach 60fps at 8K, let alone 120fps.

My hope with the PS5 and X-series is that current developers target above 60fps with dynamic resolution scaling and VRR for HDMI 2.1 systems.
For non-HDMI 2.1 Id hope they lock it 60 fps.

Somewhere i believe when i speaking about the xbox Phil said something about 4k/120fps iirc. Hence why i want a ver significant "upgrade" if they choose to go that route again.

What's all this about hdmi 2.1? Any tv support that already?

magnumpy

psvr being added to the ps4 really showed how forward thinking they were. sony has had great success with playstation, their overall business really hangs on it. :messenger_ok:(y)

ethomaz

Banned
I loved my PS4 Pro (and X1X) for that matter. They provided the Gen a much needed visual boost and was perfect for when I transitioned from my 1080p 55inch over to 4K/HDR TCL and finally to my OLED. I don't know what ethomaz ethomaz was playing, but for me the Pro and X were amongst the best things to happen this Gen. The X was a bigger move for Xbox than the Pro was for Sony.

I'm all for mid Gen refreshes as long as they don't become an every year thing. 3 years is fine.
I good exemple easy to everybody see because there is a lot of pictures available.

Go in Next-gen racing graphics comparison thread and look at GTS pictures that most are from Pro... after look for the pictures I took myself.

Pro: blurry, tons of AA issues, artifacts.
PS4: sharper, good AA, no artifacts.

Yhe best IQ is on PS4.

Features that I don’t like or Sony promised but did not delivery on Pro:
- Same frame rate exactly as PS4 for a fair ecosystem play field (at least on MP games)
- Different graphical modes... make a single graphic mode for Pro and optimize it for best... don’t give options just because the performance on one mode is crap... that is a disservice and we are not console players.
- Checkboard... give me native resolution... 1440p or even 1080p... stop with CB rendering it blurry the IQ and add too many artifacts...

I really think the Pro ideia was bad since announce but I was opened to change my mind but what Sony delivered was not on the same level as the original PS4.
Instead to make the player life easy it add more issues.

O really hope next gen we have only single machine... consoles are not PCs.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
Somewhere i believe when i speaking about the xbox Phil said something about 4k/120fps iirc. Hence why i want a ver significant "upgrade" if they choose to go that route again.

What's all this about hdmi 2.1? Any tv support that already?
The newest LG oled 9 series. That or the next lg oled will be my next gen TV to replace my oled 7 series. Looks like it will also get g sync via firmware eventually.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I good exemple easy to everybody see because there is a lot of pictures available.

Go in Next-gen racing graphics comparison thread and look at GTS pictures that most are from Pro... after look for the pictures I took myself.

Pro: blurry, tons of AA issues, artifacts.
PS4: sharper, good AA, no artifacts.

Yhe best IQ is on PS4.

You can't be this delusional.

ethomaz

Banned
You can't be this delusional.
Delusional?

I have the game and played it in both lol
GTS IQ looks better on PS4.

I don’t even begin to list the games that have better frame rate on PS4 that Pro lol

Plus PS4 is way cheaper.

Anybody that wants the to have the best experience today I recommend the PS4 over the Pro... it is not worth your money unless you want to say you have a PS4 Pro ar home.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Delusional?

I have the game and played it in both lol
GTS IQ looks better on PS4.

I don’t even begin to list the games that have better frame rate on PS4 that Pro lol

Plus PS4 is way cheaper.

Anybody that wants the to have the best experience today I recommend the PS4 over the Pro... it is not worth your money unless you want to say you have a PS4 Pro ar home.

So 1800p looks worse than 1080p?

And the enhanced frame rate mode looks worse than non enhanced frame rate?

And 30 fps replays look better than 60fps replays?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You don’t have to buy the mid gen refresh, and the base PS4 never suffered for it.

They lived up to their promise in that regard and it caused zero disruptions with Sony.

Was a great test bed for BC as well for them.

ethomaz

Banned
So 1800p looks worse than 1080p?

And the enhanced frame rate mode looks worse than non enhanced frame rate?

And 30 fps replays look better than 60fps replays?
You don’t play replays but it a nice touch though... even so replays are 60fps in cockpit view on PS4 too... only external cam is 30fps.

Yeap Pro graphic mode in GTS is blurry and with AA issues... the PS4 has better IQ with clean image and better AA (there is very few noticeable aliasing in PS4 version... it is really a great job).

Framerate is the same in both PS4 and Pro Performance mode... perhaps Pro Perf mode has a little advantage here.... visual is identical thought.... both have better IQ than the graphical mode.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
You don’t play replays but it a nice touch though... even so replays are 60fps in cockpit view on PS4 too... only external cam is 30fps.

Yeap Pro graphic mode in GTS is blurry and with AA issues... the PS4 has better IQ with clean image and better AA (there is very few noticeable aliasing in PS4 version... it is really a great job).

Framerate is the same in both PS4 and Pro Performance mode.

Both of those are untrue.

ethomaz

Banned
You admitted you don't even watch videos...

Just take the loss and move on.
I play game I don’t watch videos lol

So?

Loss like you are in this thread? Becausr you can’t counter what I said about the GTS versions because it is true.

GTS on PS4 has better IQ than on Pro with graphic quality mode.

You probably never played the two versions of GTS but isdefense control because your Pro doesn’t look that shine like you want it to be.

Maybe next post you will say I’m a Sony’s hater:pie_thinking:

Last edited:

TTOOLL

Life cycle should be no less than 7 years imo.

Also don't want to hear shit about refreshes when we're still a year out from next gen. I don't want anything less than 4k/60fps next gen.

So if they're already talking about upgraded consolesp, i expect something like 8k/120fps.

Dude.... c'mon

ethomaz

Banned
hard disagree and I don’t even fuck with Sony like that anymore

the Pro is awesome, definitely worth the upgrade if you can afford it.
Anybody can afford the Pro it is the same price you bought the PS4 in the first year... I just don’t see value in the Pro.

I don’t fuck with Sony too but sometimes they need to get called out like in the half-backed mid gen upgraded created just to get money from double dippers.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I play game I don’t watch videos lol

So?

Loss like you are in this thread? Becausr you can’t counter what I said about the GTS versions because it is true.

GTS on PS4 has better IQ than on Pro with graphic quality mode.

It doesn't. Your word doesnt magically make it true. And since you "don't watch videos" what's the point of posting one that clearly shows you're wrong? I'll even post a written article. Let's see how you spin it.

And if you did watch videos you'll see that in literally every test the PS4 drops frame where the pro doesn't in performance mode. And in quality mode it still drops less frames than PS4 base.

ethomaz

Banned
It doesn't. Your word doesnt magically make it true. And since you "don't watch videos" what's the point of posting one that clearly shows you're wrong? I'll even post a written article. Let's see how you spin it.

And if you did watch videos you'll see that in literally every test the PS4 drops frame where the pro doesn't in performance mode. And in quality mode it still drops less frames than PS4 base.
I already showed where you can get exemples... go to Nex-gen racing graphics comparison thread but you won’t or can’t because you know what I said is true.

Pro graphic mode pics makes people things GTS look bad lol it is blurry and with big AA issues.

Again I play the game not watch videos from two years ago.

Have you played the game? Performance are pretty much the same between PS4 and Pro Performance... you can try right now with patch 1.51.

BTW the opposite of previous versions (GT5 and GT6) this time you can‘t really blame the game performance... it barely drops framerate.

Last edited:
If we will enter in specific games debate...

PS4 Pro image is blurrier and have a most pixeled foliage look than PS4 image in RDR2.

Performance reach lows 20s in both that is not optional.
You are extremely disingenuous.

Set the pro to 1080p output and you get a rock solid 30fps with the same IQ as on the regular PS4 in RDR2 (because then you have access to the sharpness slider, which is disabled in "4k" mode). Having the option to choose between better performance and IQ (in almost all games) is a huge benefit of the Pro.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I already showed where you can get exemples... go to Nex-gen racing graphics comparison thread but you won’t or can’t because you know what I said is true.

Pro graphic mode pics makes people things GTS look bad lol it is blurry and with big AA issues.

Again I play the game not watch videos from two years ago.

Have you played the game? Performance are pretty much the same between PS4 and Pro Performance... you can try right now with patch 1.51.

BTW the opposite of previous versions (GT5 and GT6) this time you can‘t really blame the game performance... it barely drops framerate.

Play the game weekly. And I follow that thread and what you claim doesn't exist.

When comparing a checkboard rendered game in stills you "might" see moments of what appears to worse AA but is indeed not but the checkboard rendering at work which in motion isn't conceivable due to the higher pixel count. What you are saying is literally false. And it's also quite ironic you tell me to go play the game then say to go look at pictures? So which is it?

The game isn't blurrier and is literally impossible considering the game uses the same AA settings as the base console in quality mode on a 4K screen.

But what's even more hilarious is GTS is actually one of the few games that enhances the game on a 1080p set and actually used a HIGHER setting of AA. Again making it impossible to have a blurrier image.

First you said the performance is the same and now are saying it's pretty much the same. Facts will tell you the base PS4 drops more frames than the Pro. That's a fact.

So what else you got?

ethomaz

Banned
You are extremely disingenuous.

Set the pro to 1080p output and you get a rock solid 30fps with the same IQ as on the regular PS4 in RDR2 (because then you have access to the sharpness slider, which is disabled in "4k" mode). Having the option to choose between better performance and IQ (in almost all games) is a huge benefit of the Pro.
I’m one of the guys that thinks consoles should not have graphical options at all... if you want that you can buy a PC.

Consoles should stay consoles... PS4 in that regards is more a console than what they tried to do with Pro.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I’m one of the guys that thinks consoles should not have graphical options at all... if you want that you can buy a PC.

Consoles should stay consoles... PS4 in that regards is more a console than what they tried to do with Pro.

So if the PS5 has an option between performance and framerate, will you be pissed?

ethomaz

Banned
Play the game weekly. And I follow that thread and what you claim doesn't exist.

When comparing a checkboard rendered game in stills you "might" see moments of what appears to worse AA but is indeed not but the checkboard rendering at work which in motion isn't conceivable due to the higher pixel count. What you are saying is literally false. And it's also quite ironic you tell me to go play the game then say to go look at pictures? So which is it?

The game isn't blurrier and is literally impossible considering the game uses the same AA settings as the base console in quality mode on a 4K screen.

But what's even more hilarious is GTS is actually one of the few games that enhances the game on a 1080p set and actually used a HIGHER setting of AA. Again making it impossible to have a blurrier image.

First you said the performance is the same and now are saying it's pretty much the same. Facts will tell you the base PS4 drops more frames than the Pro. That's a fact.

So what else you got?
So you deny the pics I posted there? Sowing the people posting Pro pics do a disservice to the game graphics?

You started the conversation about the performance and not me... GTS performance is actually even in Pro Perf. and PS4.

The fact continue being PS4 has sharper and less aliasing IQ in GTS than the Pro with Graphic mode (Perf Mode has the same PS4 IQ).

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
So you deny the pics I posted there? Sowing the people posting Pro pics do a disservice to the game graphics?

You started the conversation about the performance and not me... GTS performance is actually even in Pro Perf. and PS4.

The fact continue being PS4 has sharper and less aliasing IQ in GTS than the Pro with Graphic mode (Perf Mode has the same PS4 IQ).

I just explained how your pics are disingenuous.

The AA method is IDENTICAL.

More pixles creates less aliasing. Which the pso Pro renders at a higher resolution. Meaning it's IMPOSSIBLE to have a blurrier image. And if you are playing in 1080p using graphics option it's a HIGHER AA. Are you now saying that a higher AA makes a more blurry image?

The frame rate. It's not even. It's literally not. You can say it a million times but that doesn't change facts.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
When it came out, it was not competing with One X because the One X was 11+ months out to be fair... 12 months later and at $100 more it should not deserve heaps of praise for being more powerful (they do deserve praise as they made a quiet smaller box that was also more powerful, but 12 months of additional R&D, manufacturing process maturity, and raising the console price by a large margin do wonders ;)).

PS4 Pro never had the ultimate monster power as target also because it did not need it from a brand image point of view (Xbox was the platform that was sold on performance dominance from day 1, it was a PR disaster to be more expensive and slower for their brand). I still think that given the time it came out and the price it was a well designed machine (despite the lack of UHD Blu-Ray, that was a SHITTY choice... grrr....).

Was it really a year? I hadn't noticed. You are right that the One X should be a fair amount better specs wise than the Pro however the Xbox One S, which I believe came out the at the same time as the PRO haf the common sense to include a UHD player and not increase the price. The reason I didn't upgrade to a pro was simply the UHD. Sony didnt need to include it but it showed a lock of foresight.

Also others may disagree and it would be fair but the Xbox One X feels so far ahead of the PS4 Pro in terms of features that, while not quite a next gen leap it wouldn't be a stretch to imagine if you made a marginal increase to the specs and sold it as the base model of next gen. (Add 4GB of RAM and 20% bump on the processing) and boom "Xbox Series A"

Rbk_3

Don't expect any decent looking games running above 60, and with so much better cpus we will get more 60 fps games nex gen.

I had 165Hz monitor few month ago, it's great with m+k and you can tell the difference between 60 fps and above 100, but since I'm playing most games with controller high refresh rate goes to waste, you wont feel the difference with gamepad. Sold it and got 34" ultrawide (75Hz, freesync).

No way. I play Modern Warfare on PC with a controller and 120hz is night and day compared to 60hz. Going back to 60hz feels like playing in mud.

Max_Po

Banned
No way. I play Modern Warfare on PC with a controller and 120hz is night and day compared to 60hz. Going back to 60hz feels like playing in mud.

well if you plan to drop down to console's targeted 30 fps, better call an undertaker before doing so....

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
When it came out, it was not competing with One X because the One X was 11+ months out to be fair... 12 months later and at $100 more it should not deserve heaps of praise for being more powerful (they do deserve praise as they made a quiet smaller box that was also more powerful, but 12 months of additional R&D, manufacturing process maturity, and raising the console price by a large margin do wonders ;)).

PS4 Pro never had the ultimate monster power as target also because it did not need it from a brand image point of view (Xbox was the platform that was sold on performance dominance from day 1, it was a PR disaster to be more expensive and slower for their brand). I still think that given the time it came out and the price it was a well designed machine (despite the lack of UHD Blu-Ray, that was a SHITTY choice... grrr....).

Even with the extra R and D the Pro IMO was still an afterthought in many ways. Microsoft wanted to design the best possible box they could from point a to z that was 100 percent compatible with everything on the one platform and I believe they hit it. From power to form factor.

The Pros addition of a tiny amount of RAM handicapped it. The lack of a UHD drive on a "4k machine" is still baffling to me.

The design of the the box itself is also pretty bland. And imo ugly as sin.

The pro to me feels like a machine they did because they could while the X feels like a machine hand crafted with a purpose.

Last edited:

Those are not "graphical options".... it's being forced on a system level. You set your Pro to 1080p output and never touch that again. The game itself takes advantage of the faster hardware... this is how it should be and this is how it's been for PS4 Pro if you use it as a 1080p machine (there are a handful of games that force super sampling, though), because most games don't have performance/resolution modes..
It's most likely going to be the same for PS5... any game that struggles to hit their frame rate or dynamic res target on PS4/Pro (60fps modes in Borderlands 3, FFXV, God of War etc) will run with stable 60fps and whatever the top end of the dynamic res is.

I'm not against devs implementing performance and resolution modes, though. Doing it on a system level has it's drawbacks... but the fact that games simply run better on Pro was the main reason why I picked that one over the regular PS4 and I'm glad that this tradition will continue. However I do believe that 6-7 years is still too long for a console generation. Should be 5-6 years instead.

Last edited:

Nester99

Well my launch PS4 is rocking all game without lose any experience plus it didn’t have the Pro issues... he’ll even the promise to having the same performance Sony didn’t deliver with Pro lol

I believe PS4 is still the best console launched this gen.
I easily recommend PS4 over PS4 Pro.

Pro issues?
Enjoy your subpar visual experience. HDR is substantially better.

ethomaz

Banned
Good thing the base model actually supports HDR.
In his defense the marketing to sell Pro seems to give the impression HDR is a Pro feature lol
So people that wants HDR buys the Pro thinking the base doesn’t have it.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Whatever the state of individual title is, the fact remains the in the overwhelming majority of cases Pro is going to come out on top, in terms of performance and/or image quality because, at the end of the day its still a higher clocked PS4 with a better GPU.

Top Bottom