• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS VR2 to add PC support in 2024 (currently in testing)

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Nope. Why do you think that?

It uses USB just like the Quest. It's down to the drivers and support from Sony. That's it.

Why on earth would you need a PS5 if the article clearly states PCVR support? What kind of conspiracy theorist are you?
Because if you‘ve been following the issues that iVRy has trying to get PSVR2 on NVidia hardware you’d realise the hardware issues.
I can guarantee you’ll need a PS5.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Because if you‘ve been following the issues that iVRy has trying to get PSVR2 on NVidia hardware you’d realise the hardware issues.
Could be a whole different way to connect, similar to Quest Link, where it uses a normal USB C connection to stream video to the PSVR2 hardware rather than attempt to use it like a proper HDMI esque video out connection like VirtualLink USB C was.

I don't think iVRy could have done it because he has to make the PSVR2 think it's connected to a PS5/in the way it expects, Sony can probably cook up a driver and app more easily, maybe require a firmware update for the device to enable this mode.

Last edited:
What exactly is the selling point of this game? I see people keep talking about it. I check the youtube videos and it's not anything I'd go crazy for.
The graphics, the story, the experience.

Pulling back the slide of your gun to check for a final bullet never gets old, messing around with headcrabs is pure slapstick humor, the effects and environments are jaw dropping.
Grabbing stuff with one hand and at the same time picking off enemies with the other is pure bliss.

Sometimes you run out of ammo. I had a choice. Reload and lose time or grab that brick on the floor and toss it at the enemy. Yeah sending a brick flying towards an enemy while quickly reloading is SO cool.

Its moments like this that VR really comes to life. Try it. You wont be disappointed.

Its a full fledged 3D FPS but in VR. Come on!!

Ah that. Valid point, sorry.

But this isnt a PC limitation. Its an optimisation process which can be adressed by a new PSVR2 firmware.
If Sony is going to mandate a PS5 as a bridge, than all has been for nothing.

Up until now it was a modding project. Now Sony is going to have a go. I dont see problems in the future and think it will work the same as the Quest.
Maybe with a Sony frontend needed, but that's fine.

The only limitation now is the know-how of the modding community.
iVRy is for a huge range of VR capable devices, not dedicated to PSVR2. The current PSVR2 driver is a mutation of the old PSVR driver if im not mistaken and that one even never worked flawlessly on PC.
Even if you have a Skullsplitter 5000 high end rig, it wont run properly. The drivers are emulation heavy.

Let Sony do it. they know how this thing is built. :)

Last edited:
Could be a whole different way to connect, similar to Quest Link, where it uses a normal USB C connection to stream video to the PSVR2 hardware rather than attempt to use it like a proper HDMI esque video out connection like VirtualLink USB C was.
This. Bandwidth needed probably is equal to Quest, so a single USB connection should suffice.

Interfectum

Aq0SBL3.jpeg

Ozriel

M$FT
Excellent decision, and may provide a shot in the arm for PSVR2 sales. Should have been there at launch, because it’ll be a challenge going up against the Quest 3. But better late than never

EDIT. I wonder if you’ll still need a PS5 for this. PC running PCVR content connects to PS5 and PS5 connects to headset.

Certainly not.

Sad Joe Biden GIF by GIPHY News

For Quest.

Pancake lenses + higher resolution + standalone use + wireless PCVR will likely keep the Quest 3 ahead as the default PCVR headset.
on the flip side, PSVR2 has deeper black, significantly better controllers, eye tracking and foveated rendering, so it’ll still be well received by many on the PC side.

Excellent decision, and may provide a shot in the arm for PSVR2 sales. Should have been there at launch, because it’ll be a challenge going up against the Quest 3. But better late than never

Certainly not.

Pancake lenses + higher resolution + standalone use + wireless PCVR will likely keep the Quest 3 ahead as the default PCVR headset.
on the flip side, PSVR2 has deeper black, significantly better controllers, eye tracking and foveated rendering, so it’ll still be well received by many on the PC side.
Eye tracking for menus for Quest would've been the shit.
Loved that on the PSVR2. It worked flawlessly.

Ozriel

M$FT

Apple pushing out the Vision Pro may be the best thing to have happened to VR. Everyone’s going to be on their A game going forward. There will probably be a Quest 3 Pro with the bells and whistles.

Can’t wait to see how Sony improves the VR experience for the PS5 Pro. I was going to sell off my PSVR2, but Sony embracing SteamVR means we’re going to be seeing much more developer support. Hopefully Alyx comes too, with Pro enhancements

The Eye tracking was the only thing I missed from the PSVR2 after switching over to the Quest 3.
Quest 3 is going to implement a Gaze Tracker in the new UI, That fakes eye tracking. I have my doubts it will be usefull.

The Eye tracking was the only thing I missed from the PSVR2 after switching over to the Quest 3.
Quest 3 is going to implement a Gaze Tracker in the new UI, That fakes eye tracking. I have my doubts it will be usefull.
Nah give me real eye tracking. Faux features are always lackluster...

How is the eye distance setting on Quest 3? PSVR2 had it software wise, the Quest 2 has 3 manual settings, which I find MUCH easier to use.

Apple pushing out the Vision Pro may be the best thing to have happened to VR. Everyone’s going to be on their A game going forward. There will probably be a Quest 3 Pro with the bells and whistles.

Can’t wait to see how Sony improves the VR experience for the PS5 Pro. I was going to sell off my PSVR2, but Sony embracing SteamVR means we’re going to be seeing much more developer support. Hopefully Alyx comes too, with Pro enhancements
Dont expect those games to come to PS5. The PSVR2 is going to Pc as hardware.
PC games are not coming to PS5.

So you'll never see Alyx on PS5....

Sony just wants to sell more headsets. That's why they are unlocking it for use on PC. Pc wont get Gran Turismo. PS5 wont get Alyx.

Last edited:
Nah give me real eye tracking. Faux features are always lackluster...

How is the eye distance setting on Quest 3? PSVR2 had it software wise, the Quest 2 has 3 manual settings, which I find MUCH easier to use.
The PSVR2 can auto do the eye distance thing,
I remember when I got the Quest 3 asking if I could see what my eye distance was, instead I had to pull out a ruler and a mirror for the Quest 3. You turn the knob and set it manually.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Herman Hulst was right. When he said exclusives will be at least 1 year later, looks like he also meant hardware too.
Zing! But in all seriousness, most of us were saying since day 0 that VR gaming is a different beast, in fact, I myself called it that it would be a year later minimum that this goes to the PC. The single cable interface and controllers allows for seamless interfacing with it.

This one should have no issues if they get it to work due to the controllers and inside out tracking being pretty much standard now. Steam has a lot of profiles and adapts to various sets. They even got PSVR to work.

This single chord will be working in no time, and I expect official support a year or two in.

This is true.

Last edited:

coastel

Doubt Reaction GIF

They are doing this to give more games to PSVR2 users, not to give more games to PC users.....
Still worth it anyway in that case and im sure gran turismo will go to PC eventually if not then whatever I'll wait for the ps5 pro to hopefully improve the GT pixilated look.

The PSVR2 can auto do the eye distance thing,
I remember when I got the Quest 3 asking if I could see what my eye distance was, instead I had to pull out a ruler and a mirror for the Quest 3. You turn the knob and set it manually.
I have 1 eye which has slight focus issues, so the PSVR2 never was 100% clear for me because I kept looking dead center with my bad eye and it would fuck up the calibration.

The Quest 2 I set between 1 and 2 (basically 1,5) and its clear as day on both eyes. :) Thats why I prefer manual.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
Until I read otherwise, I am reading this as Sony allowing/releasing a Steam link type streaming app for streaming your PC VR games to the PS5 which then outputs via the wire to the headset.

To anyone with lots of VR knowledge, should I sell my Index for a PSVR2?

Index is pretty obsolete, the Quest 3 is better in almost every aspect. PSVR2 as well, but PSVR2 vs Quest 3 is more of a toss off.

It's easily seen as a generation upgrade in image quality jumping to a Quest 3 - people say Alyx never looked so good who have an Index and upgraded to a Quest 3.

Last edited:

willothedog

I don't think iVRy could have done it because he has to make the PSVR2 think it's connected to a PS5/in the way it expects, Sony can probably cook up a driver and app more easily, maybe require a firmware update for the device to enable this mode.
Eh? The Quest has a Snapdragon onboard for decoding the data, PSVR doesn't.

Until I read otherwise, I am reading this as Sony allowing/releasing a Steam link type streaming app for streaming your PC VR games to the PS5 which then outputs via the wire to the headset.

Index is pretty obsolete, the Quest 3 is better in almost every aspect. PSVR2 as well, but PSVR2 vs Quest 3 is more of a toss off.

It's easily seen as a generation upgrade in image quality jumping to a Quest 3 - people say Alyx never looked so good who have an Index and upgraded to a Quest 3.
After reading other forums on this subject I think your correct. Simply connecting it to a PC over USB C might not work.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Hmmmm. Not sure how this will actually work. If you need both your pc and ps5 on, that would be incredibly dumb.

I’m very much on the fence of getting the psvr2.

Doesn't the PSVR2 have an OLED display?

Bry0

This. Bandwidth needed probably is equal to Quest, so a single USB connection should suffice.
Don’t forget they work in fundamentally different ways. The psvr2 does not have an onboard processor, it uses virtualink which is like a powered display port alt mode via usbc. The quest does not get a direct video feed when you plug it into a pc, the app encodes a videos stream and sends it over the cable, then the quest headset uses the processor in it to decode the video stream. They work in fundamentally different ways. Sony would likely need to produce some kind of powered adapter with a DisplayPort out like the index uses to enable direct pc connection.

Last edited:
Don’t forget they work in fundamentally different ways. The psvr2 does not have an onboard processor, it uses virtualink which is like a powered display port alt mode via usbc. The quest does not get a direct video feed when you plug it into a pc, the app encodes a videos stream and sends it over the cable, then the quest headset uses the processor in it to decode the video stream. They work in fundamentally different ways. Sony would likely need to produce some kind of powered adapter with a DisplayPort out like the index uses
Yes if you use Questlink to launch Steam VR, which sends it encoded. ;)

But if you launch directly into the pc through the Virtual Desktop, it's a direct feed as far as i know....
That's how I use it (mostly to fuck around with UEVR) and it's a " dumb" connection if im not mistaken.
I launch the games through the normal Steam client with the -vr switch and then it uses the same direct shell and works like a glove.

Instead of synching Steam VR to the headset, launching Steam VR etc.

Questlink encodes Steam VR. But not Virtual desktop and mirroring the pc screen I think. Could be wrong...

But even then, a small break-out box could fix this. No need for a PS5 in between.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Eh? The Quest has a Snapdragon onboard for decoding the data, PSVR doesn't.
It does have some kind of mediatek chipset inside, if it's used 100% by the various existing functions, tracking etc. and has removed all excess functions PSVR2 doesn't need is probably unknown.

The PC could do part of the work. How is it okay if the PS5 streams PC games and decodes it for use with PSVR2 but the PC itself can't do any of it without the PS5 with a given app made for it?

Last edited:
It does have some kind of mediatek chipset inside, if it's used 100% by the various existing functions, tracking etc. and has removed all excess functions PSVR2 doesn't need is probably unknown.

The PC could do part of the work. How is it okay if the PS5 streams PC games and decodes it for use with PSVR2 but the PC itself can't do any of it without the PS5 with a given app made for it?
PSVR2 is crafted to work with the PS5's architecture I think and handles instructions WAY differently. So they either have to emulate it somehow or use a breakout box like the OG PSVR had.
It's a small price to pay I think.

Top Bottom