• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pride Toronto votes to remove police floats and marches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audioboxer

Cops are welcome out of uniform

Yes, but the institution has had a lot of issues with the LGBT community. I'm sure you're aware of this, so why is it bad for the institution to try and make amends?

How do you improve confidence with the institution in this instance if your answer to them being there and successfully and collectively taking part one year is to then exclude them the next?

Yes, but the institution has had a lot of issues with the LGBT community. I'm sure you're aware of this, so why is it bad for the institution to try and make amends?

Because they aren't making amends to us all... black queer folk are still targeted.

They should march without having to join hands with a system that discriminates against them.

Queer folk must stand for queer folk of all colours and genders or we fail our brothers and sisters.

Showing up and not beating people's faces in is not making amends.

Amends are made on a daily basis in the precincts and meeting rooms by changing the policies and culture of the department, not by showing up to a parade.

Audioboxer

Because they aren't making amends to us all... black queer folk are still targeted.

They should march without having to join hands with a system that discriminates against them.

Queer folk must stand for queer folk of all colours and genders or we fail our brothers and sisters.

I'm pretty certain black queer folk attend PRIDE? Is the police float some exclusive white person only float? Do the police not talk to black LGBT members at PRIDE? Is there no black police there? Is it impossible for there to be a black LGBT cop?

Don't worry, mostly rhetorical questions as I dunno why you want to other black LGBT members when the whole point in PRIDE is everyone is there to celebrate LGBT regardless of any other social or biological factors.

Showing up and not beating people's faces in is not making amends.

Amends are made on a daily basis in the precincts and meeting rooms by changing the policies and culture of the department, not by showing up to a parade.

Because there doesn't exist a gradient in between where small things, such as attendance, still count?

Apathy

Am I missing something or have the police already said they are retaliate because of this?

No, of course not, that'd be horrible to say, think or do. What they mean is that the plice have for the past 3 decades made huge efforts and leaps to better understand the LGBT community and put in place a lot of community outreach and better education for officers and been more inclusive, to the point where they were welcomed guests in the parade, including having chiefs show up in recent years. All that was possible due to the bridges they as an organization and lgbt members of their organization help build with the lgbt community

No, of course not, that'd be horrible to say, think or do. What they mean is that the plice have for the past 3 decades made huge efforts and leaps to better understand the LGBT community and put in place a lot of community outreach and better education for officers and been more inclusive, to the point where they were welcomed guests in the parade, including having chiefs show up in recent years. All that was possible due to the bridges they as an organization and lgbt members of their organization help build with the lgbt community

And those bridges are burned now because? Like unless we all think shit is gonna go backwards why are we talking about burned bridges?

Koodo

Banned
Burning bridges will not lead to progress.
Silly me, I thought the tax funded public institution that is the police department was obligated to serve every member of their communities equally – rather than appease whichever is networking with them best.

But I get it, it's easier to burn the fringes of our community instead and bleach the image of the LGBT of any imperfections. :)

The issue is that it's not just the police organization that is being removed, but LGBT members of the police force are being restricted from wearing their uniforms. They are being told that they can't represent themselves as who they are. Even if you have a problem with them, they should have the right to participate as they see fit. LGBT members within the police department is a fact of life, you can't just make things like that disappear because you don't like the police as a whole.

I wonder if everybody would be on board with banning crucifixes and hijabs from the parade as well?

Who they are is LGBT.
What they do is police work.

These 2 things are not the same.

Genuine question from an ignorant American. Is the relationship between the police and black people nearly as bad in Canada as it is here?

I'd assume it has to be a little better but...

the1npc

Silly me, I thought the tax funded public institution that is the police department was obligated to serve every member of their communities equally – rather than appease whichever is networking with them best.

But I get it, it's easier to burn the fringes of our community instead and bleach the image of the LGBT of any imperfections. :)

What are you even going on about? Yes police should be serving people more equally I agree.

But how is banning them from the event going to do anything?

Genuine question from an ignorant American. Is the relationship between the police and black people nearly as bad in Canada as it is here?

Naw it is not nearly that bad brah. It isn't perfect by any means but not like that.

What are you even going on about? Yes police should be serving people more equally I agree.

But how is banning them from the event going to do anything?

Having them in the event aint doing anything to improve relations either if black people are still being targeted, and if a tax payer funded government org is going to abdicate its duty to protect and treat fairly all of its citizens because it couldn't have a float in the parade every one of them deserves to be in prison for theft of taxpayer money.

Plus people shouldn't have to walk side by side with an organization that oppresses them. Might as well invite the Westboro Church to come march in it too.

Because there doesn't exist a gradient in between where small things, such as attendance, still count?

It doesn't "count" because it's not actually improvement, unless you seriously think that the problems with the police are so bad that police have to demonstrate "we can tolerate standing outside with you for a few hours without going apeshit" as progress.

There isnt lgbt police officers?

LGBT folks who are employed as police officers are more than welcome to come. Just not in their uniform.

evanmisha

I am straight up gonna get banned in this thread if I stick around. I have written and deleted so many posts. "Is this the hill I want to die on? A street fair for straight girls sponsored by Pepsi?" My brain says no but my heart says yes.

I am straight up gonna get banned in this thread if I stick around. I have written and deleted so many posts. "Is this the hill I want to die on? A street fair for straight girls sponsored by Pepsi?" My brain says no but my heart says yes.

Don't die on a hill that isn't going to make any difference what so ever. From the moment BLM touched this it was going to be a losing battle in terms of public perception. Dont let yourself get banned over something that was going to be virtually impossible to win from a support point of view

Apathy

And those bridges are burned now because? Like unless we all think shit is gonna go backwards why are we talking about burned bridges?

No but continuing to maintain bridges with the police is a great way to lower crime, make the community less fearful of the police, feel that their issues will actually be listened to if they have a problem and go to the police to have it solved.

Oh i didn't know the police departments weren't funded taxes before the 90's, silly me. You know it's always had that mandate but there was a time where the police would not take allegations from gay men seriously. If a gay man called the cops against domestic abuse they'd chalk it up to "some homos fighting" or if some dick holes decided to go out on a Friday night for some good ol' fashion gay bashing the police didn't care, despite it being their mandate to protect everyone.

Relations with the police have gotten better over the years because of active participation within the police from LGBT officers and outside of the police through better understanding with the community. when there is community involvement, individuals are more likely to report crimes they have suffered instead of keeping quiet because they don't fear the police isn't going to ignore them.

People aren't getting shot here daily, but you'd think they were if you asked some people

Audioboxer

It doesn't "count" because it's not actually improvement, unless you seriously think that the problems with the police are so bad that police have to demonstrate "we can tolerate standing outside with you for a few hours without going apeshit" as progress.

LGBT folks who are employed as police officers are more than welcome to come. Just not in their uniform.

Sounds like they are trying to make the effort to make it "count"

Durham Regional Police Service deputy chief Chris Fernandes said in an interview Monday that it sends a strong message both to the public and employees when officers participate in the celebrations in uniform. Durham officers made their biggest showing ever at Sunday’s parade.

“We are proud to support Pride, and we do it every year,” Fernandes said, adding that not being able to participate “would be a loss for us.”

Saunders told reporters Monday he could not comment on the involvement of Toronto police in future Pride events until he could speak with Pride organizers. But he said the service is committed to showing its support for those within the Pride community however it can.

“It’s not a one day a year thing, it’s a yearly thing. And we continuously have many things that we attend over the year with all of our LGBTQS communities. And we’ll continue to do that. So nothing’s going to stop us from doing that.”

As I said a gradient. Small steps can lead to small improvements. All improvements are needed if we are to go forward successfully. Hence why I'm baffled at such negativity towards this. Negativity towards the police in general, sure, but this? It's like attacking them for one of the few good things they are doing. So strange. Not to mention Canadian forces are their own identity, and while Canadian GAFers have said they have their problems it doesn't sound anywhere near as bad as America.

the1npc

Having them in the event aint doing anything to improve relations either if black people are still being targeted, and if a tax payer funded government org is going to abdicate its duty to protect and treat fairly all of its citizens because it couldn't have a float in the parade every one of them deserves to be in prison for theft of taxpayer money.

Plus people shouldn't have to walk side by side with an organization that oppresses them. Might as well invite the Westboro Church to come march in it too.

Havibg them there helps to show lgbt people that the police are on their side. While the TO police have work to do in terms of equally treating people its not the 80s. Queer and trans is normal and mainstream now

evanmisha

Sounds like they are trying to make the effort to make it "count"

As I said a gradient. Small steps can lead to small improvements. All improvements are needed if we are to go forward successfully. Hence why I'm baffled at such negativity towards this. Negativity towards the police in general, sure, but this? It's like attacking them for one of the few good things they are doing. So strange. Not to mention Canadian forces are their own identity, and while Canadian GAFers have said they have their problems it doesn't sound anywhere near as bad as America.

You're from the UK, right? As in you live there now and don't live in Canada?

Havibg them there helps to show lgbt people that the police are on their side. While the TO police have work to do in terms of equally treating people its not the 80s. Queer and trans is normal and mainstream now

Oh, really? Funny then that 2 Conservative Party leadership candidates are running openly anti-lgbt campaigns. If you think being trans is mainstream now you're living in a dream world.

No but continuing to maintain bridges with the police is a great way to lower crime, make the community less fearful of the police, feel that their issues will actually be listened to if they have a problem and go to the police to have it solved.

So basically nothing should happen due to this if the police act like they basically should always act? Ok.

As a side note, if a portion of the LGBT community that are also people of color have serious beef with the police at pride, shouldn't the police extend an arm directly to them in a show of good faith? I mean I onow we are talking about the police and black people so . . . But in all seriousness, if they are actually concerned about the community shouldn't they. If the police have been so active in the community why has it come to this?

Yeah, I made that clear earlier. I don't think there is many Canadians discussing this just now. Only one I know of in the last few pages. Pretty certain that is Apathy.

I'm canadian. Just for reference.

evanmisha

Yeah, I made that clear earlier. I don't think there is many Canadians discussing this just now. Only one I know of in the last few pages. Pretty certain that is Apathy.

I understand if you don't want to answer this, and feel free to ignore me if so, but are you yourself a member of the LGBT community?

Audioboxer

I understand if you don't want to answer this, and feel free to ignore me if so, but are you yourself a member of the LGBT community?

No I'm not. Emotional interests stem from being raised in a devout religious household and being around a lot of homosexual bigotry. Still am whenever I debate my parents on homosexuality. It's probably why you'll see me debate religion a lot on GAF. I understand this topic has nothing to do with that, but in this case I just seen this as a backwards move to try and bridge relationships for a minority.

Now that you've asked this, and where I'm from, and given your post earlier about deleting your own posts, I'm going to guess you don't like my input. Fair enough but please challenge it if that's the case and don't get too personal. I did post in here just with my feelings at the top of page 5 and then others starting engaging with me so the debate happened.

spelen

Under Fantino, the Toronto police had stopped black drivers way more than white drivers - in line with American police statistics. The Toronto Star ran a big expose on it. I assume it's changed for the better in the last decade or so, but I haven't kept up with municipal politics since then.

police relations in Toronto can be better but problems here are not on the same level as they are in our American neighbors

Its the saddest thing seeing people say it's easy for policeman to just separate out their sexuality from their other overriding personal identity as a public servant who takes pride in their work.
It's kind of like telling a gay person to be have homosexual relations but stop 'acting' gay because somehow it is possible to seperate their sexuality from their identity.

I like that apparently the unacceptable discrimination line is apparently did they shoot you?

I'm not gonna put words in his/her mouth. I'm just gonna say the statement reeked of "whiney overexagerating black people fronting on your problems".

Which in itself doesn't even bother me because you aint gon win that battle. I get more passionate about America than here. I already know shit here will be downplayed so it's w/e.

Its the saddest thing seeing people say it's easy for policeman to just separate out their sexuality from their other overriding personal identity as a public servant who takes pride in their work.
It's kind of like telling a gay person to be have homosexual relations but stop 'acting' gay because somehow it is possible to seperate their sexuality from their identity.

Not it's not...that's a horrendous analogy.

I'm pretty sure that LGBT officers don't spend all of their free time in uniform. In fact, I'd wager a guess that when they're off the clock and not working a security detail (do Canadian cops even do that?), they're probably in regular ass clothes and not their uniform.

This is a really bad analogy.

Enzom21

Not Canadian, not LGBTQ, not black.

Not surprised.
Don't bother engaging, especially when it comes to anything involving that last one.
Change isnt going to occur overnight. Especially not if they are banned from attending pride imo.

Why is it the citizen's responsibility to fix the relationship with law enforcement?
Law enforcement is at fault here, no one else. Citizens don't have to do a damn thing for law enforcement.

People are born cops?

the1npc

If being banned from a fluffy parade prevents the people in power from doing their jobs fairly then...well, idk what to tell you tbh!

Look I just believe banning police is going to do nothing and most likely not help relations with police and lgbt people.

Id love to be proven wrong though I guess we agree to disagree?

I am also not excusing disgusting police practices like profiling

Enzom21

Look I just believe banning police is going to do nothing and most likely not help relations with police and lgbt people.

Id love to be proven wrong though I guess we agree to disagree?

I am also not excusing disgusting police practices like profiling

How exactly? Are police going to start harassing people in the LBGT community because they can no longer have a float in their parade?

The best way to show people that the police is on their side is by actually doing the work day in day out that proves it.

Not a fuckin float.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom