• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PREY reviews are in, critics love it

jason10mm

Gold Member
Same way Alien races speak in both English and their native languages on Star Trek... The universal translator translates everything they say BUT they can still say something in their native languages. THAT is more confusing than this
This was done so well in Farscape (babble fish in ear, you always hear your language no matter what) I'm shocked when sci-fi shows struggle with the concept.

Hunt for Red October also solved the "how do we depict the language difference?" issue incredibly well, pretty much everyone else is just apeing them.

I just thought of something funny. If this thread happened on ResetEra a few people would probably be banned.

I hope I'm allowed to say that word here lol

Neolombax

It was okay for me. Thought it started off slow, dozed off a few times, my wife kept waking me up. Near the end of it the action ramped up and it was exciting to watch. Also had a nice easter egg at the end of the movie too, tying it up to the series.

This thread got me thinking we really need a new Alien movie. Maybe AvP. The possibilities with these are endless. It's better than Star Wars which will keep on going until modern civilization collapses.

sol_bad

I only own Requiem on blu ray, never bought AvP1, hated that they made it PG13. Requiem isn't the greatest film either but I love how brutal it is and how it doesn't care about and disposes of it's characters.
lol

Last edited:
I only own Requiem on blu ray, never bought AvP1, hated that they made it PG13. Requiem isn't the greatest film either but I love how brutal it is and how it doesn't care about and disposes of it's characters.
lol

I think I liked the final moments of Requiem the most. I can see the government doing some shit like that.

Just finished it

movie played out pretty much exactly as I expected and the CGI animals looked horrible but it was still pretty enjoyable overall. Probably the best predator film since predator 2 but I’d prob need to watch predators 2010 again to be sure.

I didn't like the Adrien Brody predator movie. Just wasn't enjoyable.

wrong-drumpf.gif

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I mean they should take Alien back to its roots. I've been watching them all today and I think there's magic to be recaptured under the right director.
They will fuck it up. They lose sight of the original message that humans aren’t the powerhouses and have to fight to survive against a foe that has acid for blood,

They made two perfect versions and I’m glad they stopped at two. I mean why remake or continue them imagine they did one and it was about some random stuff.

how the space jockeys made humans so were our gods but then the bad guy was really a mental android like ash and everyone was really dumb like smoking weed in your helmet dumb. Imagine ? And the actual alien wasn’t even in the film until like the last 20 mins Ahahahaha

Last edited:
And later he said that it was all him and that he had to drag her back. He was just being nice at first till she became too stubborn.

She hesitates when taking the short at the eagle.

She "almost" got a deer and gets told that almost doesn't feed mouths.

I agree that she turns into some kind of warrior rather than a hunter later in the movie.
That was in the beginning. Later he said that it was her plan with the tree or whatever that worked.

She was waiting for the eagle to come around and when the brother shot it, he had to go across the river to get it.

And then the way she was sliding around the predator when we saw just how quick and agile it is - hard to suspend disbelief.

Romulus

I have to keep saying this:

Watch it again. She used kicks, momentum, center of gravity, weapons, etc. She wasn't trading punches with them. She used her disadvantages as advantages. It was like watching a Krav Maga practitioner.

A Krav Maga practitioner whose skills barely beat a skinny kid hours earlier.

Stitch

Gold Member
lol
Both AvP have harder extended cuts on Blu-ray. First one still isn't super gory, but there's at least a bit more blood :p

AvP

Requiem

Literally not one human on the planet could 1v1 a Predator and win, functionally there is no difference between Arnie and Amber, they both get ruined in a straight fight.

Its never a straight fight, and the human always finds a way to outsmart the predator, but to be mad about a young woman doing it is stupid as hell when no one should stand a chance.

Doczu

Well watched it yesterday and i liked it. Good beer and popcorn movie with nice setpieces and good action scenes. CGI animals were meh, but they weren't the selling point.

I did cringe a bit during the final showdown when the Predator was alligned perfectly with his mask targeting system, but still it was a fine watch.

Ulysses 31

That was in the beginning. Later he said that it was her plan with the tree or whatever that worked.

She was waiting for the eagle to come around and when the brother shot it, he had to go across the river to get it.

And then the way she was sliding around the predator when we saw just how quick and agile it is - hard to suspend disbelief.
Still means she had a couple of failures which makes it harder to classify her as a Mary Sue.

With the eagle it seems clear to me that she's not sure she can make the shot and the going across the river thing to get it is her cope. And how was she sure the eagle would've turned around?

Those Apex Legends slides in the woods she and Princess Leia pull off do look silly I agree.

As is walking off a beartrap wound. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Where are the women? Yes I'm assuming gender.

/s :messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:
They will fuck it up. They lose sight of the original message that humans aren’t the powerhouses and have to fight to survive against a foe that has acid for blood,

They made two perfect versions and I’m glad they stopped at two. I mean why remake or continue them imagine they did one and it was about some random stuff.

how the space jockeys made humans so were our gods but then the bad guy was really a mental android like ash and everyone was really dumb like smoking weed in your helmet dumb. Imagine ? And the actual alien wasn’t even in the film until like the last 20 mins Ahahahaha

Yeah that's why I said under the right director. And none of these overrated geriatric hacks who suck at directing in their senior years.

I'm also not sure by "they stopped at two". Don't know exactly what you're talking about

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Yeah that's why I said under the right director. And none of these overrated geriatric hacks who suck at directing in their senior years.

I'm also not sure by "they stopped at two". Don't know exactly what you're talking about
There are only two alien movies. Only two it is a fact.
Imagine if they made two other worse sequels then a crossover that was a family friendly movie. Then tried prequels that were shit. Imagine that hahahahahab

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Random lady pulls off superhuman feat in a movie: "ridiculous, literally impossible, nonsense, trash"
Random guy pulls off superhuman feat in a movie:
To be fair, the GUYS in these films are 'roided out MONSTERS that LOOK like they could do those things. If anyone could slide off a suspended walkway, fall 20 feet, and kick off the wall to land punching, it's Dwayne. But in the west at least, the women are rarely in that kind of shape, or any shape other than "cocaine slim" really. This is why you don't hear these complaints about asian actresses in martial art films, the actresses are highly trained, in excellent shape, and CAN DO, or at least look like they can do, what their character does.

So when Arnold, shredded gorilla that he is, strains to pull back a bow as thick as a lamp post in Pred1, the audience FEELS like that arrow could punch through a battleship. When Amber Midthunder teases back a bow as thick as her pinky finger with a draw weight of "loose string pulled down by it's own gravity", the FEELING isn't there. The Predator in Prey is a giant lean beast shown casually leaping between trees and at times dashing like a bullet. Amber NEVER even remotely approaches this level of physicallity other than her highly scripted fight scenes. Had the actress a gymnasts body or at least a fitness models physique with some tricep definition and maybe a shot of abs, lats, and quads, then it would have sold better. But they keep her almost entirelly wrapped in layers of deer skin, she has a full face, and if there is muscle in there, it wasn't on display. She LOOKS weak, and in a visual medium like film, that IS important. No matter how good the choreography, if a weak looking woman raises her spindly little arm and blocks a haymaker thrown by a 250 pound brute, it just doesn't play well anymore. So even the fight with the brave was unconvincong, the tussle with the trappers ludicrous, and the fight with the pred outright offensive to logic.

Naru shines when thinking. Using the guy as bait (not sure why a stationary wounded animal would draw a Pred in but whateves), exploiting the magic herb, circling back to the mud pit, figuring out the homing dart, that was her realm and I'd rather they had leaned into that more rather than also have her be an accomplished knife fighter and jui-jitsu expert as well with that actress.

Ulysses 31

To be fair, the GUYS in these films are 'roided out MONSTERS that LOOK like they could do those things. If anyone could slide off a suspended walkway, fall 20 feet, and kick off the wall to land punching, it's Dwayne. But in the west at least, the women are rarely in that kind of shape, or any shape other than "cocaine slim" really. This is why you don't hear these complaints about asian actresses in martial art films, the actresses are highly trained, in excellent shape, and CAN DO, or at least look like they can do, what their character does.

So when Arnold, shredded gorilla that he is, strains to pull back a bow as thick as a lamp post in Pred1, the audience FEELS like that arrow could punch through a battleship. When Amber Midthunder teases back a bow as thick as her pinky finger with a draw weight of "loose string pulled down by it's own gravity", the FEELING isn't there. The Predator in Prey is a giant lean beast shown casually leaping between trees and at times dashing like a bullet. Amber NEVER even remotely approaches this level of physicallity other than her highly scripted fight scenes. Had the actress a gymnasts body or at least a fitness models physique with some tricep definition and maybe a shot of abs, lats, and quads, then it would have sold better. But they keep her almost entirelly wrapped in layers of deer skin, she has a full face, and if there is muscle in there, it wasn't on display. She LOOKS weak, and in a visual medium like film, that IS important. No matter how good the choreography, if a weak looking woman raises her spindly little arm and blocks a haymaker thrown by a 250 pound brute, it just doesn't play well anymore. So even the fight with the brave was unconvincong, the tussle with the trappers ludicrous, and the fight with the pred outright offensive to logic.

Naru shines when thinking. Using the guy as bait (not sure why a stationary wounded animal would draw a Pred in but whateves), exploiting the magic herb, circling back to the mud pit, figuring out the homing dart, that was her realm and I'd rather they had leaned into that more rather than also have her be an accomplished knife fighter and jui-jitsu expert as well with that actress.
Naw, you just hate women and you feel your insecure masculinity threatened whenever you see a strong woman.

Last edited:

Already picked this logic apart posts ago.

Ulysses 31

Already picked this logic apart posts ago.
Literally not one human on the planet could 1v1 a Predator and win, functionally there is no difference between Arnie and Amber, they both get ruined in a straight fight.

Its never a straight fight, and the human always finds a way to outsmart the predator, but to be mad about a young woman doing it is stupid as hell when no one should stand a chance.
You didn't pick apart what the problem is with Prey vs OG Predator. You trying to deflect.

In Prey the predator does dumb things(wounding itself, getting hit by its own weapons when it can disable them, doesn't use the slicing metal at correct times, doesn't squeeze her throat after choke slamming, doesn't pin her down with its weight) in order to lose.

Last edited:
You didn't pick apart what the problem is with Prey vs OG Predator. You trying to deflect.

In Prey the predator does dumb things(wounding itself, getting hit by its own weapons when it can disable them, doesn't use the slicing metal at correct times, doesn't squeeze her throat after choke slamming, doesn't pin her down with its weight) in order to lose.

Damn, its almost like its a less experienced Predator thats literally never even seen a human before.

Watch the movie.

The rules apply to either everyone or they apply to no one. Nit picking Prey but not Predator is entirely pointless, because by any real life logic the outcome is the same. Its called "Entertainment" and you're sort of expected to go along with some things for the experience.

Guess what? A man cannot fire a fucking minigun handheld like Blaine does in Predator, but we allow it because its *fucking cool.*

Ulysses 31

Damn, its almost like its a less experienced Predator thats literally never even seen a human before.

Watch the movie.
It should be experienced with its own tools and this Predator fails badly in that regard.

Sure, I can let things like getting bit by the wolf slide because it may be the first time a Predator is on earth.

By the end fight though, the Predator had seen and had human interactions so I find it hard to classify it as still a newbie in that regard.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

The original predator does the same type of stuff. Kills the injured guy who isnt a threat instead of the fully armed Dutch. Doesn't blow Dutch's arm off when it shoots him, doesn't slice Dutch's head into pieces when it catches him at the end.
The Predators are not expecting to lose, and in both cases die when they are kinda complacent and showboating so they have a cool story to go along with their skull.

Ulysses 31

The rules apply to either everyone or they apply to no one. Nit picking Prey but not Predator is entirely pointless, because by any real life logic the outcome is the same. Its called "Entertainment" and you're sort of expected to go along with some things for the experience.
What standard/rule is Predator held to that Prey isn't?
Guess what? A man cannot fire a fucking minigun handheld like Blaine does in Predator, but we allow it because its *fucking cool.*
Predator has silly things too but those aren't used in the fight vs the predator(IIRC) to ultimately win.

Action movies often have questionable things like how much damage can something/someone take and still go on, with extra terrestrial or magic things there's more leeway. Naru is neither so seeing what she endures and pulls off does raise questions.

Ulysses 31

The original predator does the same type of stuff. Kills the injured guy who isnt a threat instead of the fully armed Dutch. Doesn't blow Dutch's arm off when it shoots him, doesn't slice Dutch's head into pieces when it catches him at the end.
Indeed but there's a scene later on that could help excuse it. It's possible it saw Dutch as the leader of the group and wanted to challenge him without anyone else interfering/distracting.

When it caught Dutch the movie established the "honor" predators can have for their prey by giving them a more fair fight and disarming partially. If that wasn't established first I'd have the same issue with that as I do with with Prey when it has Naru by the throat. (It does seem like a trope that baddies throw protags around after grabbing them when logically the fight should be over shortly thereafter)
The Predators are not expecting to lose, and in both cases die when they are kinda complacent and showboating so they have a cool story to go along with their skull.
It had sustained multiple wounds by that point so it would boggle my mind if was going easy on her rather than being "not so smart". Clearly it must've seen her as a threat at that point.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Naw, you just hate women and you feel your insecure masculinity threatened whenever you see a strong woman.

What the hell kinda low effort rebuttal is that? I've articualted, pretty clearly, the decisions Prey producers COULD have taken to make a better female protagonist, both narratively and in physical performance. Disagree with those points, if you can, but lay off the personal attacks and insults. Is that ALL you children can do?

Actually, you can (now).

But don't let that dissuade you from your train of thought. The key element is that it was a 6'4" foot former Navy SEAL doing it, not a 5'1" 95 pound high school cheerleader. Physical presence adds credibility to the stunt. Frankie Adams, Gina Carino, Chyna, they all could have pulled it off as well.

jason10mm

Gold Member

Watch the movie.
I have seen the film and am not sure where this "the predator has NEVER been on earth/seen humans before!" bit is coming from.

The pred never seems confused or lost. It kills things it sees HUNTING; the snake, the wolf, the bear; to make for an appropriate trophy. It doesn't seem confused or surprised by humans using tools, in fact it has a nice little shield/buckler thing that has little value other than blocking bullets/arrows. It does get surprised by some TACTICS used by humans, but hell, most people would have been fooled by similar things (other than the cold skin thing, which is both ridiculous in concept and something that, having seen it once, the Pred should have anticipated being used again).

I have seen the film and am not sure where this "the predator has NEVER been on earth/seen humans before!" bit is coming from.

The pred never seems confused or lost. It kills things it sees HUNTING; the snake, the wolf, the bear; to make for an appropriate trophy. It doesn't seem confused or surprised by humans using tools, in fact it has a nice little shield/buckler thing that has little value other than blocking bullets/arrows. It does get surprised by some TACTICS used by humans, but hell, most people would have been fooled by similar things (other than the cold skin thing, which is both ridiculous in concept and something that, having seen it once, the Pred should have anticipated being used again).

Its been well publicised that this is the very first Predator to come to earth, it isn't something I've made up.

Ulysses 31

What the hell kinda low effort rebuttal is that? I've articualted, pretty clearly, the decisions Prey producers COULD have taken to make a better female protagonist, both narratively and in physical performance. Disagree with those points, if you can, but lay off the personal attacks and insults. Is that ALL you children can do?
The low effort kind that intellectually lazy people tend to do when something they like is attacked.

I'd thought after all my Marvel criticisms you've seen me do you'd (hopefully) know I wouldn't really use such arguments to characterize and dismiss people I disagree with... :lollipop_confounded:

jason10mm

Gold Member
The low effort kind that intellectually lazy people tend to do when something they like is attacked.

I'd thought after all my Marvel criticisms you've seen me do you'd (hopefully) know I wouldn't really use such arguments to characterize and dismiss people I disagree with... :lollipop_confounded:
I can't tell if we are agreeing or disagreeing on this.

How about I buy the next round and we start fresh?

7PvvSCy.jpg

Top Bottom