• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PREY reviews are in, critics love it

ManaByte

Gold Member
Predator has the reverse Star Trek movie rule. With the TOS movies, the even number ones (Khan, Voyage, Country) were the good ones and the odd-number ones were bad.

Predator: Good
Predator 2: OK
Predators: Good
The Predator: Worse than getting Monkeypox and Ebola at the same time.
Prey: Good

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Meme Reaction GIF

jason10mm

Gold Member
That "The Terminal List" is sitting at 40% critics (26% 'top critics') but a SMASHING 95% audience score tells me which one of these metrics I should be following.

Not saying the critic score is ALWAYS inversely related to my tastes as there are certainly plenty of double low scores with critics and audiences, but when I see a massive delta like that (or the reverse, high critic/low audience) thats when I take notice.

Little Mac

Gold Member
I'll wait for Critical Drinker's review. :messenger_winking_tongue:
He’s gonna shit all over it haha A movie about a 500+ pound warrior alien with vastly superior technology, who’s culture and training makes it excel at hunting and destroying other planet’s apex predators, getting bested by a 100 pound Native American woman with a bow and arrow … doesn’t stand a chance. He has given Ripley (from Aliens) praise for being a strong and believable female protagonist (rightfully so), so you never know.

Regardless, I’m gonna watch the fuck out of it because OG Predator is one of my favorite movies of all time. Kristian Harloff, a reviewer I respect, said it was his second favorite predator movie so I’m game.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
He’s gonna shit all over it haha A movie about a 500+ pound warrior alien with vastly superior technology, who’s culture and training makes it excel at hunting and destroying other planet’s apex predators, getting bested by a 100 pound Native American woman with a bow and arrow … doesn’t stand a chance. He has given Ripley (from Aliens) praise for being a strong and believable female protagonist (rightfully so), so you never know.

Either people didn't see the first Predator or remember it wrong. Arnold beat the Predator by hiding in the mud and killing it with a trap made out of sharp sticks.

Hulu is actually the best cord cutting option for live TV. You can get live TV Hulu (which will get you all the televised NFL games), add-free Hulu streaming, Disney+, and ESPN+ for $68.
This is true.

I'll wait for GAF impressions and other reviews on this one I think. I found the trailer really unappealing and I don't think it's worth my limited free time to find out.

Mossybrew

I dunno about this Midthunder chick. She kinda sucked in Legion, trying to pull off this tough warrior woman role, it just didn't work for me.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I havent seen all the Predator movies (I didnt see that one years ago where people said it was super dark and could barely see the action), but given all the others ones I saw, the only good one is the original movie.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I havent seen all the Predator movies (I didnt see that one years ago where people said it was super dark and could barely see the action), but given all the others ones I saw, the only good one is the original movie.

Predators is fine. It would've been better if the Lawrence Fishburne character was Danny Glover as originally intended and if they manager to get Arnold back for the ending, but it's sill better than Predator 2.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Sounds like you're referring to AVP Requiem. Which was indeed terrible but somehow still better than Shane Black's The Predator (and also too dark in some scenes).

I'll wait for Critical Drinker's review. :messenger_winking_tongue:
Critical Drinker made me realize why gaming side of GAF becomes so annoyed with Dunkey so much. He's the movie version of Dunkey, except I think he's takes his own opinions more seriously(which is worse).

This is a good watch if you haven't seen it:

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Critical Drinker made me realize why gaming side of GAF becomes so annoyed with Dunkey so much. He's the movie version of Dunkey, except I think he's takes his own opinions more seriously(which is worse).
I would hope he takes his opinions more serious than Dunkey's seeing how the latter brings up a more nitpicks for laughs than more serious criticisms. At least from the few videos I've seen of Dunkey years ago.

Taking your criticisms serious enough to elaborate on them is not a bad thing in my book, as long as it doesn't reach "you're stupid if you disagree" territory.

I would hope he takes his opinions more serious than Dunkey's seeing how the latter brings up a more nitpicks for laughs than more serious criticisms. At least from the few videos I've seen of Dunkey years ago.

Taking your criticisms serious enough to elaborate on them is not a bad thing in my book, as long as it doesn't reach "you're stupid if you disagree" territory.
Just like with Dunkey, I'd appreciate all of this about TCD way more if it weren't for his shtick.

Madvocate is better at critique than TCD in every way. It's just a shame that he uploads so slowly.

Little Mac

Gold Member
Either people didn't see the first Predator or remember it wrong. Arnold beat the Predator by hiding in the mud and killing it with a trap made out of sharp sticks.

It was actually the 300+lb log suspended 25 feet in the air, by a 250 lb Mr Olympia on steroids, that took it down. Not to mention the makeshift grenade tip arrow that pissed it off. Can’t wait to see how she manages to kill it.

Draugoth

Gold Member
q7CHWzq.png
tgo1VAi.jpg

Synopsis:

In the Comanche Nation in 1719, a fierce and highly skilled warrior named Naru learns the prey she is stalking is a highly evolved alien with a technologically advanced arsenal.
  • Release: August 5, 2022 via Hulu (United States)
  • Director: Dan Trachtenberg
Reviews:
Consequence - 91/100
While she can slide, slash, and shoot with the best of them, Midthunder also imbues Naru with just enough character to keep us invested in her journey. For her, the fight against the Predator means more than just survival: It means validation for her own place in the tribe, the chance to prove her worth by defending her people.
Collider- 91/100
The only real downside to Prey is the streaming format through which it'll be released, with the 20th Century movie being shuttled over to drop on Hulu later this week. It's no hyperbole to say that this is a film that demands to be seen on as big a screen as possible, if only in order to thoroughly appreciate one of the best action movies of the year thus far, let alone one of the best Predator movies since the first.
IGN - 80/100
Empire - 80/100
IndieWire - 75/100:
The Film Stage - 75/100

Fbh

The trailer looked pretty good so I hope it's good.

RT score is worthless though. "OMG it has a 90%+.........like The Last Jedi"

sol_bad

It was actually the 300+lb log suspended 25 feet in the air, by a 250 lb Mr Olympia on steroids, that took it down. Not to mention the makeshift grenade tip arrow that pissed it off. Can’t wait to see how she manages to kill it.

See 40 seconds into the clip. If we want to be realistic, Arnold would be dead right at that point. Hit so hard he goes flying 20 feet. He'd be knocked out or concussed and unable to get back up.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
See 40 seconds into the clip. If we want to be realistic, Arnold would be dead right at that point. Hit so hard he goes flying 20 feet. He'd be knocked out or concussed and unable to get back up.
Forget that, Arnold gets hit in the shoulder with a shot from the Predators shoulder cannon that blew a hole through Jesse Ventura but Arnie shrugs it off like he got stung by a mosquito and he then hoists up that 300lb log. Of course the Predator used a low power shot to just disarm Arnie because the movie seconds before established that the Predator only kills armed people.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
After being wounded by an elite fighting force. With bullets. Not to mention Arnolds exploding arrow which disabled it's cloak. Then a giant log being dropped on it. I don't think you've watched it.

I can't wait for this 90 pound slay queen to single handily defeat the predator.

Last edited:
Top Bottom