• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: From sex symbol to icon: How Crystal Dynamics saved Lara Croft

black070

Seriously ? Lara Croft lacks any sort of meaningful characterisation in the reboot. Crystal Dynamics didn't save Lara Croft, they simply made the franchise relevant again.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
http://neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1269063

The more recent discussion is here. Understandable bump as OP of the new thread quoted an old post from this thread and I think someone mistakenly replied to it.

File not found?

I like to think of Lara Croft as an Icon like James Bond is.

Tomb Raider Eras are like James Bond Eras:

Tomb Raider 1/2/3 - Sean Connery

Tomb Raider Last Revelation/Chronicles/Angel of Darkness - Roger Moore/Timothy Dalton

Tomb Raider Legend/Anniversary/Underworld- Pierce Brosnan

Some could say the Tomb Raider Reboot and Rise of the Tomb Raider of this gen are the Daniel Craig era of grittiness and bring divisiveness among fans.

This is pretty accurate. Though in my opinion, anything post Core has been disappointing. Legend and Underworld are fine and all, but they just don't have that Magic that the Core era had (even if the series was sliding under them due to Edios' milking)

ethomaz

Banned
Lara was a icon before, no?

These new games now are way less popular than before.

What he is trying to say in this article?

Auctopus

I finish the reboot last January and the character of Lara Croft is absolutely horrible.

It's just constant "No, I've got to do this.", "I'm not giving up." and "I've got to do this because I want to survive."

I get it, you're strong willed! Don't tell me, show me.

tkscz

Lara was a icon before, no?

These new games now are way less popular than before.

What he is trying to say in this article?

"We don't see her as sexual as she was before so now she is important and better written if you disregard the awkward writing."

The problem I have with articles like these is they put such a huge focus on their looks over their characters. OG Lara was such a badass and took little shit from anyone, but wasn't too over baring, nor did she come off as an Indiana Jones rip-off, always felt like her own character. New Lara wants me to feel bad for her, but is able to kill a room of guys and monsters and a bear on her own, it's disjointing. However, no one ever talks about who the old Lara was, just what she looked like, which, by the PS2 era, was cartoony and was obviously not supposed to look like a real woman.

Garlador

"From icon to sex symbol: How Nintendo ruined Samus Aran"

Kristen-Bell-Laughing-to-Crying.gif

It really is amazing how the Tomb Raider reboot and Other M came out so close together, both with the goal of "humanizing" their standoffish and indestructible female leads... and how one of them succeeded and the other one plummeted.

Top Bottom