• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Poll] The best Metal Gear Solid game of all time?

The Best Metal Gear Solid game?

• Total voters
There have been Metal Gear Solid games released at retail but which one do you believe is the BEST game in the series? Choose one in the poll, and then explain why in a post below!

metal-gear-solid.jpg
METAL GEAR SOLID

52507_front.jpg
The Twin Snakes

Metal_Gear_Solid_2_Substance_Original_Xbox__03017.1520984789.jpg
METAL GEAR SOLID 2

TDWHRfd.png
(Requested by TLZ TLZ and MiyazakiHatesKojima MiyazakiHatesKojima )

220px-Mgs3box.jpg
METAL GEAR SOLID 3

220px-Mgs4us_cover_small.jpg
METAL GEAR SOLID 4: CUTSCENES OF THE PATRIOTS

220px-Metal_Gear_Solid_Peace_Walker_Cover_Art.jpg
PEACE WALKER

s-l300.jpg
Portable Ops

packshot-cebde01a8c18c74cd8f8dbc34d83d318.jpg
METAL GEAR SOLID V PROLOGUE

580c3f01-2a03-475e-90e6-f3703bafd08a_1.fa47a563459d7ded19185e0067c38aed.jpeg
METAL GEAR SOLID V

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Not sure it's fair counting MGS1 and its Remake as separate entries.

MGS 1 PSX gets my vote and then MGS 3. Both games really blurred the line between game and movie, utilizing the best of both mediums IMO.

Loved the opening of MGS5 then when it seemed to go open world I "noped" out.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I went with the one I spent the most hours on, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker. Played it 200+ hours on the PSP and then another 100 between the PS3 port and the Vita digital version.

Second place, under that same criteria, would be Metal Gear Solid 5: Phantom Pain. 150 hours easily.

MGS4 would be third, somewhere around 80-100 hours (I'm not sure exactly).

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Oh man ..

Why are we still here GAF ? Just to suffer? Every night, I can feel my rage … and my anger … The time I’ve lost… the comrades I’ve lost… won’t stop hurting… It’s like they’re all still there. You feel it, too, don’t you?

I can't choose one only .. it's like you asking me to move with one leg or use one hand , every fuckin part is completing the other , solid snake , Big boss , The boss , Eva , Kaz , meryl , liquid , Otacon , Grey fox , Raiden , sniper wolf , psycho Mantis , The end , the sorrow, paz , strange love , ocolot , Johnny and so many great characters..
Best game ? No
Best movie ? No
Best series? No

Its

A Hideo Kojima Game

Haha then why add “metal gear related name”? And why not include :

Haha you only made this thread cause you found one other person that felt like Twin Snakes was the best metal gear. Not even hating, but you should have gone all the way.

That game was already in the poll.

I voted for mgs3 as well, but mgs5 has a strong case, even with its flaws. It's the best combat and stealth gameplay the series has ever had, and there's a ton of content even though it feels incomplete. But mgs3 "accomplishes its mission" by feeling complete and whole, like it did everything it set out to do.

I hate mgs4's guts. Best moment was the end credits, that's not an ironic smartass complaint. Literally the coolest thing that happens in the entire game is when you the read the name of the voice actor for big boss in the credits and think "but big boss wasn't in this game" and suddenly the credits stop and a scene with big boss happens. Second best moment was when Snake wore a disguise with Gillian Seed's coat. Every other thought I have about mgs4 is how trash it was. Uncreative bosses...Johnny pooping himself...Sunny making eggs...Fuck off. Imagine making mgs3 and following it up with this piece of crap. And imagine me buying the overpriced ps3 out of excitement for the follow up to mgs3 and getting such a disappointing experience. Ugh. Past trauma revisited! Just thinking about it now makes me push playing death stranding further to the bottom of my backlog.

Last edited:
I'm actually surprised both variations of V were thrown under the bus. On Gaf I keep hearing how V was a step up from the disappointment of 4.

KOMANI

KOMANI
i would love to give it to GZ, MGS1, and I pulled my vote from MGS2 to give it to Ghost Babel. It’s a testament to how great the franchise is.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I'm actually surprised both variations of V were thrown under the bus. On Gaf I keep hearing how V was a step up from the disappointment of 4.

Phantom Content has a mixed reception among the fandom just like 4. And Ground Zeroes is superb but its an appetizer not a meal.

Kev Kev

snake eater and its not even close

For the MGS3 lovers in the thread, was your introduction to the game via Snake Eater or Subsistence?

mine was snake eater. the work around for the camera issue is that you could go into first person. and since you could lean left and right or peak over shit while in that view, it was mega helfpful for scouting out areas and even necessary at times.

subsistence was even better tho. i still used first person perspective a lot but having the camera was liberating. its been so ong since i played the og snake eater that i cant remember what having the "fixed" camera was like. but it never bothered me as i was used to it from mgs1 as a kid and mgs2 later on of course

Last edited:
Metal Gear Solid 1 is my favourite.
Metal Gear Solid 2 was most hyped though due to the period of my life and the massive upgrade in graphics.
Metal Gear Solid 3 was a masterpiece too, if I was younger it would have been my favourite with the help of nostalgia.
After 4 I kinda lost interest in the series (was so hyped but felt the game was overproduced and with too much cheesy exposition for my taste).

KOMANI

KOMANI
The one with the stable framerate unlike Subsistence lol
That might be because they added more environment so you couldnt see how bare the map was with the 3D camera. (According to Ryan Payton).
Side note: all versions of mgs3 sold less than 1,2, and I believe 4 worldwide.

Thabass

MGS 3 followed VERY closely by Peace Walker and MGS2. So close, but Debriefing FOR THE SONG ALONE + the rest of the game is the reason this game is my number one. Glad to see other people agree.

MrS

Banned
Peaked with 3 imho. The atmosphere, boss fights and story were all absolutely incredible.

Last edited:
Definitely 2. It controls great, the level design is awesome, the narrative is the best and it holds up better than any other game in the franchise. There are no objectively wrong picks though, what a great franchise.

Rising is also a masterpiece.

Top Bottom