• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Poll] The best Metal Gear Solid game of all time?

The Best Metal Gear Solid game?

• Total voters

Kokoloko85

My vote is either MGS1 and MGSV
I voted V because it needs more love. Also it gave me the best playground to play Kojima’s gameplay the longest.... 300 + hours.
2,3,4 are also great in the own rights. 3 the most popular.
We still need a MGS game in Solid’s Snakes prime.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
this is really tough. all the games have something special about them.

ultimately i voted MGSV: TPP. it was far and away the best game, game play wise. i think the story is VASTLY underrated as well, and have enjoyed delving deeper and deeper into it across multiple plays. it is embarrassing the amount of hours i put into this one.

i would have voted MGS3 overall but some of the later, bigger areas don't really work for me. the gameplay in that one is solid but the tech just wasn't there yet to do what Kojima wanted to do. MGSV is the ultimate realization of that style of gameplay. large chunks of it feel like MGS3 Remastered to me, and that's a great thing.

Terenty

Basically mgs 1 - 3 are all on the same level of greatness, mgs 4 is the worst one and quite a shit game by Kojima's standards, and 5 is great too, but worse than the first three.

Hard to vote really

Last edited:

Jacknapes

Snake Eater gets my vote. It's what i would consider a near-perfect Metal Gear Solid title. Good, emotional story and a great setting.

moomoo14

I voted for 3, since it has the best balance of great gameplay and a great story. However, I think 2 has the most interesting and impactful story for me, and 5 is easily the gameplay peak of the series.

HE1NZ

Banned
The fact that 3 is supposedly set in Siberia, but features jungles, snakes and crocodiles killed it instantly for me. It made me realize Kojima doesn't really know what he's doing and just stacks all the stuff he saw in movies as a kid. It's clumsy gameplay didn't help. I can't see how anyone can enjoy the first three without a heavy dose of nostalgia. They aged terribly and were pretty bad to begin with.

R6Rider

Gold Member
The fact that 3 is supposedly set in Siberia

Pretty sure it wasn't. And just because games aged bad whether true or not doesn't take away the fact that if I compare my enjoyment of each game at the time I played them, 3 is still the most memorable and had the best overall experience. V overall wasn't very good, but had the best and advanced gameplay, but it's also the most recent.

Last edited:

hunthunt

Banned
MGS3 was Kojima at his finest, crazy over the top action and narrative, fantastic and engaging gameplay, incredible graphics and an unforgettable experiencie

11/10.

Arachnid

The fact that 3 is supposedly set in Siberia, but features jungles, snakes and crocodiles killed it instantly for me. It made me realize Kojima doesn't really know what he's doing and just stacks all the stuff he saw in movies as a kid. It's clumsy gameplay didn't help. I can't see how anyone can enjoy the first three without a heavy dose of nostalgia. They aged terribly and were pretty bad to begin with.

Yeah it's a little videogamey since it features mountains, swamps, and whatnot within jogging distance, but almost all video games are the exact same way. Plus, wasn't the setting in MGS3 fictional? Kind of a strange complaint to have considering the media

Airbus Jr

Banned
MGS4 for me

First game i purchased on PS3..first time i experienced a real HD game after PS2....

The opening scene...i was completely blowned away...

MGS4 and God of War III is a masterpiece i will never forget

Last edited:

GymWolf

Mgs1 psx, still my favourite game of all time.

I'm gonna ask for a ban for everyone who choose twin snakes.

Last edited:

HE1NZ

Banned

Yeah it's a little videogamey since it features mountains, swamps, and whatnot within jogging distance, but almost all video games are the exact same way. Plus, wasn't the setting in MGS3 fictional? Kind of a strange complaint to have considering the media
Jogging distance is fine. But there's no jungles in Siberia. The closest jungle to Russia is third of a globe away, somewhere in India I assume. Kojima was clearly referencing Vietnam movies there. So the question is if he doesn't realize the mistake or thinks his audience won't notice.
surprised you made it this far into a series about giant robots and cloned super soldiers
It's not the same if it's explained of the story. Misplaced geography is not explained and don't seem like an elaborate joke.

Metal Gear Solid 2 I think. There wasn't anything remotely like it when it came to attention to detail, story-telling, the underlying philosophy and message, etc. It was the reason I got a PlayStation 2. And while it received a fair amount of criticism back in the day, mainly because of Raiden, I never let that overshadow the joy I had playing the game.

Metal Gear Solid 3 would be my second most-favorite game and for mostly different reasons. It was a great homage to the old spy thriller genre, very interesting characters, surprising plot twists, as well as great stealth mechanics.

The original Playstation version of Metal Gear Solid is probably my favorite because it was simple and well executed, it had the best balance between cutscenes and gameplay, and the gameplay itself was simple, albeit clunky at times. The story is straight up reminiscent of a B grade movie from the late 80s/early 90s, but it's charming as Hell.

While I'm here I'm just going to say that Twin Snakes is better than original MGS. Yeah the cutscenes are fucking silly. MGS is fucking silly. The bosses each get their own music and you can do the dumbassed shapeshifting card thing without backtracking through half the game. Sign me up.

And i'm going to say that it's not, because the plot was better directed in the original, and the soundtrack was better as well. The remake kind of screwed it up, and that's a big problem in a story focused video game.

And those graphics .. I don't know if its just me, but i'll take those low polygon assets with no faces over those uncanny robotic presentations with disturbing faces. The graphics in Twin Snakes never sat well with me, they looked worse than in Metal Gear Solid 2. Probably has something to do with those faces.

Last edited:

ExpandKong

Banned
And i'm going to say that it's not, because the plot was better directed in the original, and the soundtrack was better as well. The remake kind of screwed it up, and that's a big problem in a story focused video game.

And those graphics .. I don't know if its just me, but i'll take those low polygon assets with no faces over those uncanny robotic presentations with disturbing faces.

You're entitled to your wrong dumb opinion you doofus but I will say the soundtrack in Twin Snakes would be 100% superior if they hadn't neglected to include Enclosure somehow. Also Meryl doesn't call him Oat-acon anymore so 10 million points to Gryffindor house.

KOMANI

KOMANI
The original Playstation version of Metal Gear Solid is probably my favorite because it was simple and well executed, it had the best balance between cutscenes and gameplay, and the gameplay itself was simple, albeit clunky at times. The story is straight up reminiscent of a B grade movie from the late 80s/early 90s, but it's charming as Hell.

And those graphics .. I don't know if its just me, but i'll take those low polygon assets with no faces over those uncanny robotic presentations with disturbing faces. The graphics in Twin Snakes never sat well with me, they looked worse than in Metal Gear Solid 2. Probably has something to do with those faces.
What are you talking about?

ipWtpuy.png

2 years after MGS2, and managed this.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I'll finish MGS2 someday

i stopped playing as soon as the character switch happened and threw my PS2 disc out the window
I highly recommend playing through it.

The story is C.R.A.Z.Y.... at least for me at the time. I had never experienced a storyline that crazy mad. And I haven't since..

I dunno if nowadays it would be as wild, but to me the game was excellent.

RaySoft

Original MGS PSX release... simply because that was the first time I realised that games could be something greater than just "games". That the game was friggin' fantastic helps as well:)

Last edited:

GametimeUK

I went with 2 as it's my favourite. If I had to be objective upon reflection it's probably 3. There's just something about sneaking around a building that resonates more with me as opposed to sneaking around a jungle.

I love MGS1, 2, 3, 5, Ground Zeroes and Twin Snakes. Dislike 4 massively.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
My favorite MGS game really depends on what mood I'm in, you can't just pick one MGS I've played so many times, the first few chapters of MGS4 are so good and I'm with the majority that MGS3 brings the most to the table (efficient amount of cut-scenes, important story etc.) MGS2 is packed with special moments.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I highly recommend playing through it.

The story is C.R.A.Z.Y.... at least for me at the time. I had never experienced a storyline that crazy mad. And I haven't since..

I dunno if nowadays it would be as wild, but to me the game was excellent.
yeah there is no experience like playing 2. one of the funniest most insane thrill rides of my gaming life.

just the one random moment where you slip on bird shit. beautiful! at that point i wanted to personally thank Kojima.

T8SC

The nuclear weapons disposal facility on Shadow Moses Island in Alaska's Fox Archipelago was attacked and captured by next-generation special forces being led by members of FOX-HOUND.

Fbh

For me it's still MGS. I liked the more "arcadey" style, I still think it has one of the more enjoyable stories in the franchise and psycho mantis is still one of the most clever things in any Kojima game

Pejo

Gameplay wise, Phantom Pain.

Total package though, Snake Eater.

I also still really like MGSIV personally, despite it being kind of an odd child. Too bad it's still only on PS3.

Kupfer

[X] Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
- because it is the only one I was able to finish

Last edited:

RSB

Banned
It's pretty much a tie between MGS and MGS2 for me, but if I have to pick just one, I choose MGS.

MGS3 while not quite as perfect as MGS and MGS2 was great too, and it ended the story on a high note.

And yes, to me MGS ended with Snake Eater. I consider MGS4 and everything that came after to be nothing more than terrible fan fiction (with mostly fun gameplay though, so it's not all bad)

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
MGS3 by a mile. Only game I've played in almost 40 years where I actually gave a shit about the story and characters. It looked stunning, the levels were awesome, bosses were a highlight, the camouflage system was great and that ending definitely raised the dust levels around my house. Best of all though is the improvement in every respect over the mind numbingly pretentious MGS2 not to mention being rid of that little bitch Raiden.

Best PS2 game ever imo.

You can't beat the original, but 2 has always been my personal fav.

3 is a pretty lame choice for best imo, I mean it's great but doesn't quite reach the same highs as 1 and 2.

Roufianos

I'd probably say:

MGS1
MGS3
MGS4
MGS2
MGSV
PW

1 is my Goat and 3's up there too.

4 probably has the most memorable moments but it's let down by uneven pacing and some dumbass plot points.

The tanker in 2 is perfection but the Big Shell seems disjointed from the rest of the series.

V is ass. PW is impressive for a handheld game but its plot is dumb af.

I hated V so much that it actually put me off the series. I haven't played it since but been planning to get back to it soon.

Last edited:

Dark Star

voted for MGS3.

MGS3 : best overall game, masterpiece. best story and character, just a legendary accomplishment for it's time.

MGSV : great stealth gameplay, nice graphics, etc. but the story is all over the place, unfinished, and the open world is a joke. still a fun game to play, though. i really enjoyed replaying it, too.

Last edited:
You think so? I’m not going to challenge you but I would be curious to see an example. Again, just out of curiosity.
mgsts_review_030804_bev1.jpg
metalgearsolid2pc_08.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
metal-gear-solid-2-1.jpg

Twin Snakes Left, MGS2 PS2 Right.

Twin Snakes is clearly better looking. Both have areas that are worse or better than the rest of the game but on average Twin Snakes is a better looking games. I will say the GameCube could have made it look even better if they put in the effort, but they still had better graphics.

KOMANI

KOMANI
mgsts_review_030804_bev1.jpg
metalgearsolid2pc_08.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
metal-gear-solid-2-1.jpg

Twin Snakes Left, MGS2 PS2 Right.

Twin Snakes is clearly better looking. Both have areas that are worse or better than the rest of the game but on average Twin Snakes is a better looking games. I will say the GameCube could have made it look even better if they put in the effort, but they still had better graphics.
I can’t agree, but I totally understand where you’re coming from. This exchange did remind me of this though.

Top Bottom