• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Showcase Officially Announced for Next Wednesday, May 24 at 1pm Pacific Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

KXVXII9X

From all the predictions people are spouting, nothing really makes me hyped for this. It seems like a lot of focus will be on remakes, already established franchises, and GaaS.

It seems like no one is interested in any new IP's or games with fresh and interesting gameplay. The predictions feel too safe to me. Just the same as last generation but a bit prettier. Yay?

I do hope we see more current gen games that look and play like current gen. I think Sony should take a break from open world Action-Adventure RPGs. I was more interested in their games like Astrobot and Sifu and Stray times exclusives than most of the big titles they have out.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
All I want to see, which will get me hyped is new IP.

I feel like theyve utilised their current line up of big hitters such as Uncharted, Spider man, Last of Us etc....

I just dont want to see ONLY sequels...Give us a fresh new ip or two that blows us away.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Choo Choo
type212131622216ydg0.png

Varteras

Gold Member

I feel like theyve utilised their current line up of big hitters such as Uncharted, Spider man, Last of Us etc....

I just dont want to see ONLY sequels...Give us a fresh new ip or two that blows us away.

New IP and reboots of dormant ones is what I would love to see over the next few years. I feel like PlayStation has quite a few that would do very well today if done properly. And it's been long enough since the last entries that they would feel fresh.

Colony Wars. Folklore. Free Realms. Killzone. MAG. MotorStorm. Omega Boost. Primal. Resistance. SOCOM. Syphon Filter. Twisted Metal. Warhawk. Not to mention the multitude of JRPGs from their past.

I know damn well that only a fraction of these have a chance at coming back and most will likely be replaced by something else new in the near future. But I can dream.

zapper

I understand the desire for new ip's, but would anyone (besides me) like a return of jak and daxter, killzone, tlod, others?

however from what is written on the blog I expect several new IPs, and I expect them more from ps than from third parties.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I understand the desire for new ip's, but would anyone (besides me) like a return of jak and daxter, killzone, tlod, others?

however from what is written on the blog I expect several new IPs, and I expect them more from ps than from third parties.

I love seeing the return of old IPs, as long as they are done well. I would *love* to see a new Killzone game designed after the concepts and weighty-realisitic design of Killzone 2. I don't want to see a Killzone that is designed around 3 or 4.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
TGO TGO is there room on the train please?

Lisa Simpson Full Steam Ahead GIF by The Simpsons

lol at these train haters, good to be back on GAF after a bit of a break. Things about to get interesting this week.

I am a train hater, but I also think the train concept is fun and that all those that are hyped get something awesome/cool at the presentation. I am just a bit jaded at this point. Secretly I do want this to be everything I hope/dream.

Predominant focus on Japanese games, no bullshit censorship that is hypocritical in nature.
Less focus on third person action cinematic narrative driven games as the predominant AAA genre from their first party studios. Give me some AAA hack and slash, AAA RPGs, AAA shooters, etc. Don't need to get rid of the TPSCinemaNarrative titles, just add diversity to the first party line up more often.
Some amazing shadowdrops. Give me that damn Little Devil Inside already! Hell, shadowdrop some killer PS1 and PS2 titles for the Premium service. Give me Trophy support on Toy STory 2! Let me play Gran Turismo 4! give us Medievil 1 and 2!
Also less than 1 game that is just cinematic CGI "coming next year/coming soon" bullshit. Everything should have gameplay. Everything should have release windows.

That is what would get me hyped up for a Showcase.

Last edited:
I am a train hater, but I also think the train concept is fun and that all those that are hyped get something awesome/cool at the presentation. I am just a bit jaded at this point. Secretly I do want this to be everything I hope/dream.

Predominant focus on Japanese games, no bullshit censorship that is hypocritical in nature.
Less focus on third person action cinematic narrative driven games as the predominant AAA genre from their first party studios. Give me some AAA hack and slash, AAA RPGs, AAA shooters, etc. Don't need to get rid of the TPSCinemaNarrative titles, just add diversity to the first party line up more often.
Some amazing shadowdrops. Give me that damn Little Devil Inside already! Hell, shadowdrop some killer PS1 and PS2 titles for the Premium service. Give me Trophy support on Toy STory 2! Let me play Gran Turismo 4! give us Medievil 1 and 2!
Also less than 1 game that is just cinematic CGI "coming next year/coming soon" bullshit. Everything should have gameplay. Everything should have release windows.

That is what would get me hyped up for a Showcase.
I would go nuts if they would show Soul Reaver remake. Just imagine what they could do with SSDs and realm shift mechanics with modern graphics.

Also we need more Medievil. This was my first game bundled with PS One. Such a fond memories of childhood with this game. I have bought the remake obviously. Would love to see remake of Medievil 2 too. But one can only dream- just my wishful thinking at this point.

BTW Maybe Sony is testing the waters with Medievil? They've put it on PS Plus. It would be cool if they did. Just my wishful thinking yet again at this point.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I genuinely feel this is going to be an S tier showcase.

So exciting to have some positivity in gaming. Zelda tears comes out and is once again another incredible game...we are finally over all the cross gen stuff....although it was decent it's now time to get down with the sickness!

Let's go, Sony!

Just one big new Sony ip here and I'm gonna splurge. I really want it to be Sci fi in the traditional sense. Cory, Let's see it!

Actually… honestly, do you know even the first thing about how UE, or any other damn game engine, works?
you-got-me.gif

I'm so clueless that i made fast traversal in the Matrix Demo that was faster than the spiderman demo. This was in the face of fans that told me it was impossible and required god-tier SSD/IO.

The facts are that in 24 hours you will discover first-hand that spiderman 2 will look incrementally better than Miles Morale despite the manufactured praise that is going on.
Its so manufactured that the only comparison you see is a barren picture of a Spiderman 1 street from 2018 compared to the Spiderman 2 Reveal trailer.
Instead of comparing it to Miles Morale which released 2 years later. The same Miles Morale that fans were claiming were a generation better than Spider man 1 after seeing the MM trailer.

So will SM2 blow the Matrix Demo out of the water?
Clearly not.

It will be inferior when it comes to:
- Lighting Quality
- Shadow Quality
- Reflections
- Geometric Density
- Texture Resolution
- Dynamic Lighting

The only thing that SM2 will be better at is:
- Art Direction

This gets posted alot that Spiderman 2 will look like this... First of all it wont.
Secondly the Matrix Demo actually does look like this and CAN look identical to this. If you want the matrix demo to look exactly like this all you have to do is change up the building assets and use identical roof top assets, add trees, change time of day, then color grade and frame the shot.

R4Sl8Pc.jpeg

bastian-hoppe-013-bastianhoppe-artstation-matrix-013.jpg

Last edited:
you-got-me.gif

I'm so clueless that i made fast traversal in the Matrix Demo that was faster than the spiderman demo. This was in the face of fans that told me it was impossible and required god-tier SSD/IO.

The facts are that in 24 hours you will discover first-hand that spiderman 2 will look incrementally better than Miles Morale despite the manufactured praise that is going on.
Its so manufactured that the only comparison you see is a barren picture of a Spiderman 1 street from 2018 compared to the Spiderman 2 Reveal trailer.
Instead of comparing it to Miles Morale which released 2 years later. The same Miles Morale that fans were claiming were a generation better than Spider man 1 after seeing the MM trailer.

So will SM2 blow the Matrix Demo out of the water?
Clearly not.

It will be inferior when it comes to:
- Lighting Quality
- Shadow Quality
- Reflections
- Geometric Density
- Texture Resolution
- Dynamic Lighting

The only thing that SM2 will be better at is:
- Art Direction

This gets posted alot that Spiderman 2 will look like this... First of all it wont.
Secondly the Matrix Demo actually does look like this and CAN look identical to this. If you want the matrix demo to look exactly like this all you have to do is change up the building assets and use identical roof top assets, add trees, change time of day, then color grade and frame the shot.

R4Sl8Pc.jpeg

bastian-hoppe-013-bastianhoppe-artstation-matrix-013.jpg

24 hours?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I would go nuts if they would show Soul Reaver remake. Just imagine what they could do with SSDs and realm shift mechanics with modern graphics.

Also we need more Medievil. This was my first game bundled with PS One. Such a fond memories of childhood with this game. I have bought the remake obviously. Would love to see remake of Medievil 2 too. But one can only dream- just my wishful thinking at this point.

BTW Maybe Sony is testing the waters with Medievil? They've put it on PS Plus. It would be cool if they did. Just my wishful thinking yet again at this point.

I never got a chance to play Soul Reaver. I have only ever played Blood Omen and Blood Omen 2, both of which I adored. Would love a chance to play Soul Reaver 1 and 2 though. Hopefully shadowdrop on Playstation Premium? One can dream.

Medievil is such a treat. The fact that you can play both the remake AND the original on disk when you buy the remake was 10/10 awesome. Wish all remakes did that.

naguanatak

I'm hoping for

Death Stranding 2 (preferably gameplay...something new, with a twist)

GenDESIGN's new project

MGS Remake Trailer (1 or 2 would be nice, but I would settle for 3)

Something I can't even think of. A surprise in todays climate of announcements of announcements and leaks.

And although I'm not a hype person, I would like to get a ticket and ride in on the train on wednesday. So please add me TGO... Don't know how to @ users here, long time lurker most of the time

gothmog

Gold Member

I agree. Make new IPs and plan on remasters and cross gen sequels for the next console if they're hits. By the time all of that hits you have time to make new games that actually take advantage of the hardware.

nbkicker

As always not thinking about it to much, every yr a sony showcase and so called insiders saying how amazing and turns out mediocre, for me if spiderman 2 is going to release this yr then now is the time to show gameplay, we no mortal kombat will show a gameplay trailer, and i still think there will be something streetfighter shown since game out week after maybe first dlc shown, but for me happy to see how spiderman 2 looks anything else a bonus

I never got a chance to play Soul Reaver. I have only ever played Blood Omen and Blood Omen 2, both of which I adored. Would love a chance to play Soul Reaver 1 and 2 though. Hopefully shadowdrop on Playstation Premium? One can dream.

Medievil is such a treat. The fact that you can play both the remake AND the original on disk when you buy the remake was 10/10 awesome. Wish all remakes did that.
If they drop old version is PS Plus Premium / Classics at least - play them. This game blew my mind when I was 12 years old or so.

I remember vividly when we got (me and my older brother) demo disc in the mail with Soul Reaver.

There was a subscription I vaguely remember the specifics and they did send you PlayStation demo discs through mail. I think MGS was there on it too.

I think there were three or four dudes with PSX or PS Ones in my residential area we always did share games, news or did playthroughs together. Simpler times. I think that Soul Reaver demo blew each one of us then too. Not only me, and other friends were older than me at that time.

I also remember Alone In The Dark, Resident Evil 3, Tenchu.

It was fun back then.

Now.. I WISH they would bring back TENCHU!

Now that Rise of The Ronin is around the corner and Ghost of Tsushima showed that Feudal Japan setting can sell pretty well.

One can only dream. This would actually be huge if they would announce either Soul Reaver remake or a new TENCHU game!

TENCHU was FromSoftware IP? Or they only published it? Hmm.

Last edited:

kungfuian

Choo Choo
type212131622216ydg0.png
You should volunteer your skills to the x-box folks for the June event. Thinking blimp or air craft carrier.

Or maybe Phil giving it to Greenburg giving it to Nadella giving it to Major Nelson in a repeating pattern. Something fun for them. Like a very intimate conga line.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: TGO

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Syphon Filter revival or nah?
I'd love to say yes, but I think the studio management didn't want a Days Gone 2, and pushed for a Syphon Filter game that the dev team rejected. That was the news from Garvin and Ross but they left at the release of Days Gone so it could be the case the dev team were more receptive to making a SF game post Garvin & Ross.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom