• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Makes More Money from DLC, Microtransactions Than Anything Else.

tommycronin

Imagine the amount they'd make if multiplayer was free on ps5. I wonder if they'll budge if Microsoft does it first.
I mean that for non f2p games.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
tenor.gif

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
The same is true for Xbox, which is why GamePass is a thing now.

fermcr

Microsoft is going after the Fortnite, Call of Duty and FIFA crowd... so it wouldn't be surprising if they had free online for the next Xbox.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Of course money is their priority so is MS .. great news for the company and hard one on fanboys for each company and that is so stupid and naive

why fighting over this ? I can’t understand

Bolivar687

Banned
I had to buy the Modern Warfare battle pass. I really did not like the direction Call of Duty had been heading this gen and MW was pretty much exactly what I wanted the series to do. I was obligated to reward that. Forgive me, GAF.

One interesting takeaway here - Microsoft's strategy next generation is entirely predicated on 1) having the fastest console and 2) also claiming consoles don't matter because its all about their subscription. But both hardware and subscriptions are dwarfed by software, which is what Sony is betting on for next gen, which also happens to be where they make most of their money.

Ask the people who feel the need to bring up Microsoft?

They obviously think so, otherwise it wouldnt be a factor.

?
People bringing up Microsoft are merely confirming that is indeed the way the industry is headed given their strategic decisions. There's no implication as to whether or not its good or bad.
You're reading into things a bit too much.

Vawn

Banned
But Era and GAF told me it's all about the single player exclusives!

You pick a condole on the differences, not the stuff available on either choice.

Plus, most revenue does not mean the most people. GaaS and F2P target and exploit the whales.

Last edited:

Garjon

This is why people are talking about console manufacturers ditching the online multiplayer paywall, they could stand to make more money by getting rid of barriers to GaaS. It's a risk but could pay off quickly

Vawn

Banned
This is why people are talking about console manufacturers ditching the online multiplayer paywall, they could stand to make more money by getting rid of barriers to GaaS. It's a risk but could pay off quickly

Yup, Xbox will get rid of Gold, but they'll be doing it to make MORE money, not less.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Yup, Xbox will get rid of Gold, but they'll be doing it to make MORE money, not less.

Wlof course they do, does anyone truly think different?

They are a company after all. You can still be consumer friendly and earn money.

Vawn

Banned
Wlof course they do, does anyone truly think different?

They are a company after all. You can still be consumer friendly and earn money.

Idk if exploiting whales through microtransactions is "comsumer friendly". Is the mobile market style consumer friendly?

some stats:

in this news about sony playstation model of earning, in the first 25 messages, there is
TWELVE times name "microsoft" , NINE times "xbox", EIGHT times "MS"
and only TWO times "playstation" and SIX times "sony", and this only because a member brought up the "sony does bububu microsoft!" and got quoted/replied to

this speaks volumes

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Idk if exploiting whales through microtransactions is "comsumer friendly". Is the mobile market style consumer friendly?

If you are not a whale, then why even care?

Also, isn't this article about Sony and not Microsoft?

Checking... Yup, it's about Sony getting fed by whales, not Microsoft.

ACESHIGH

Banned
You pick a condole on the differences, not the stuff available on either choice.

Plus, most revenue does not mean the most people. GaaS and F2P target and exploit the whales.

Most people just pick up a console to play the most generic multiplat games like FIFA, COD, Fortnite, Destiny and the like. Tradition and the network effect does the rest.

List wars are a thing but only for the enthusiasts

Bodomism

Banned
Only Nintendo made the most from 1sy party titles.

How are Sony and Microsoft going to make money when most of their 1st party offering were bundled for free with the consoles lol.

Last edited:

Quasicat

My students dump so much money into Vbucks, it’s scary. Many of them also do it right through the PSN, eShop, or Xbox stores.

It always made me wonder if that is why Epic came up with their own storefront...they were tired of paying the platform holders 30%.

Vawn

Banned
Most people just pick up a console to play the most generic multiplat games like FIFA, COD, Fortnite, Destiny and the like. Tradition and the network effect does the rest.

Yet the one with the higher-rated exclusives outsells the other 2.5 to 1.

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
The last DLC I purchased was for GT5 on PS3 :messenger_grinning_smiling:

I'll assume it's free-to-play games that are the cause of this.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.

Casuals are more attracted to games like COD, Fortnite, etc they far outweigh us hardcore but that doesn't mean that exclusives don't matter

slade

This isn't exactly some hidden secret. Sony has the bigger and more casual fanbase. Also, IIRC Yoshida also said some time ago that Sony doesn't make much profit from first party games. Those are only there to differentiate themselves from the competition.

https://www.inquisitr.com › ... › Sony
Web results
Sony: Most Playstation First-Party Games Are Not Profitable

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Everyone should remember that Playstations are platforms. Sony takes a cut on all new added content sold. Third party and first party, just like steam. The entire industry is coming to the realization that the path forward is all about recurring revenue. That means added content and subscription based services. Added content is like the yearly game update model on steroids and then you have subscription services like PS Now and PS+. I believe subscription based services will eventually win out MTX and added content.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

I wonder if Sony would be willing to give up that subscription money to increase profits from the digital sales. Seems almost a 3:1 ration for digital sales vs subscriptions. Free service might increase digital sales more than any sub income would. Would be a bold move.

It sucks and is in no way surprising.

This is a major reason why I've tended to buy more first party and smaller Indie titles over the last few years.

You've got to support complete package games where you can, and thank goodness Sony and Nintendo at least, are still willing to put a major budget into such games.

Could be how gaming industry is prospering like hell.

I know I have accumulated tons of full games for basically peanuts. They are definitely not getting too much from me.

Bodomism

Banned
I'm sure this applies only to Playstation lol
And Microsoft XBOX too as both companies sell their 1st party games so dirt cheap a few month after the release date or just given away for free with every hardware sold to costumer.

Meanwhile Zelda BOTW is still retains the original $60 MSRP.

Top Bottom