• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MTX makes the majority of money for Playstation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Sony Interactive Entertainment had a record-breaking second quarter in terms of revenue, pulling in ¥954.1 billion — up 32.38 per cent year-on-year. Of that total, physical games accounts for about ¥35.5 billion, which comes out to roughly four per cent. For comparison's sake, digital sales of full games on PS Store represents 21 per cent of total revenue.

in this record-breaking Q2, physical games is the only sales category that has decreased year-on-year. By that same measure, all other areas saw significant growth.

MOD EDIT: From Thick Thighs Save Lives Thick Thighs Save Lives Clickbait title. The digital split for full game software is 67%.

image.png

Of course that MTX and other DLC are digital only (there's also thousands of games sold only digitally) which will skew the % for the total software revenue on the platform in favor of digital, but Push Square knew that well when making the post. Same with the OP for posting this shite article. 🙃

Edit: Oh when they did their flawed math they actually took all the revenue generated by the PlayStation division in last quarter which also includes things like PS+ subs, PS5 sales, accessories, etc. and that's how they got that 4% for physical software sales :messenger_tears_of_joy:.

image.png

Yeah, it's bait. The split is 37% physical to 63% digital as per the latest Sony fiscal report.

Why are you even posting trash articles like this ArtHands ArtHands ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Chechack

Im also all digital now,me and my brother stay together and we both have PS5,so its easier to buy digital where we both can share and play at the same time.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I’m part of the problem.
If discs didn’t get damaged so easily I would probably have stuck with it. We shouldn't have strayed from cartridges.
Cartridge systems were beast. Every cartridge system my fam or I had worked. No optical drive issues, no scratched discs (I had only a few scratched ones, including a used one from a store that skipped), and no disc rot you hear about.

I'm no engineer, but rom chip stuff is just way more sturdy. You'd think with cartridges, after jamming it in and out of the slot maybe the system slot or chip would get scratched up or wear out (you could even see the metallaic strips on the rom chip), but for whatever reason it always works. I took care of my gear best I could but everyone knows someone who would treat their console like shit jamming in cartridges hard but it still all seemed to work.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I will buy physical as long as they are available. I like the boxes and discs (feels as if I've really bought something) and if I don't like the game, can always sell it to the local Cex store and not lose much money.

Not to mention I usually get at least 10% off from the get-go, even on pre-orders, on amazon due to their offers.

physical games are total win in my eyes.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Just so we are clear, that's 4% of the total money the entire division made, not 4% of game sales.

The game sales split is something like 20% physical to 80% digital.
yeah.
And on top of that - It's counting all digital stuff vs most of that is not on physical.
I would like to know numbers on big games. What is the split on gow ragnarok, spider man2, Elden ring.
The big hitters could fare way better

Clickbait title. The digital split for full game software is 67%.

image.png

Of course that MTX and other DLC are digital only (there's also thousands of games sold only digitally) which will skew the % for the total software revenue on the platform in favor of digital, but Push Square knew that well when making the post. Same with the OP for posting this shite article. 🙃

Edit: Oh when they did their flawed math they actually took all the revenue generated by the PlayStation division in last quarter which also includes things like PS+ subs, PS5 sales, accessories, etc. and that's how they got that 4% for physical software sales :messenger_tears_of_joy:.

image.png

Just so we are clear, that's 4% of the total money the entire division made, not 4% of game sales.

The game sales split is something like 20% physical to 80% digital.

Yeah, it's bait. The split is 37% physical to 63% digital as per the latest Sony fiscal report.

Last edited:
Wasn't the split announced yesterday 67:33 ???

Clickbait trash source?
It is, check my post. It's clickbait trash from Push Square.

The digital software split is even mentioned in the article but ArtHands ArtHands letf it out of their OP. I wonder why? 🤔

Zooming in on PlayStation's physical/digital sales split (which looks at units sold rather than cash), just over two thirds (67 per cent) of software sales were digital in Q2 2023. This is a slight increase year-on-year, but down compared to Q1 2023.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Sony cheats these numbers quite a bit as well since they count the digital games bundled with consoles as physical purchases. I'm with StreetsofBeige StreetsofBeige it will probably creep up from 80 going forward until you hit that threshold moment where publishers start to not bother with it, which will boost the digital numbers.

Yeah, weird math here. So physical revenue was 16% and Digital Revenue was 84%, but game purchase percentage was physical 33% and digital 67%. This makes sense, as they don't get all of the revenue for physical game sales and instead have to split them with retailers. I expect these splits to continue trending towards digital over time.....

Go_Ly_Dow

image.png

image.png

So they have no grounds to justify going all digital next-gen if they tried going by this data. Even if we saw see further physical purchase decline in favour for digital, as long as consumers have a choice I'm quite confident you'd still get a ratio of about 50:50 next gen. Also factoring in global inflation and cost of living in general more and more may opt for physical games which are not only cheaper at launch by a fair bit, but can also be resold.

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

image.png

image.png

THANK YOU.

Was going to correct the OP as well, this thread and title are pure LIES, disinformation to be precise, and pure BULLSHIT jerkoff for "I want physical to die and loose any ownership just because" folks.
jurassic park deal with it GIF

OP, you should be ashamed to spread such disinformation.
Embarrassed Shame GIF

BREAKING NEWS: physical games are also digital data, so, we can state with confidence that physical market is 0% !

Last edited:
So they have no grounds to justify going all digital next-gen if they tried. Even if we saw see further physical purchase decline in favour for digital, as long as consumers have a choice I'm quite confident you'd still get a ratio of about 50:50. Also factoring in global inflation and costing of living in general more and more may opt for physical games which are not only cheaper at launch by a fair bit, but can also be resold.
Yeah, I mentioned this elsewhere, but physical is still alive and well in both Japan and here in Europe so I don't see Sony or Nintendo ditching this option with their next systems (they're Japanese companies after all).

It is somewhat of a problem in the US as their bigger retail chains are starting to no longer stock physical media (films, tv and audio cds) in-store, but they'll keep stocking physical games for the time being.

Last edited:

Zathalus

PS6 disc will be an optional accessory sold separately and not included with any console by default. PS7 won't have any disc option at all.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member

image.png

image.png

Aaaaaand we're done here.

Kupfer

Physical Games Represented Just 4% of Sales for PlayStation Last Quarter​

Please FFS, stop spreading such bullshit ArtHands ArtHands
First of all, you only have to consider content that can be purchased both digitally and in stores. then we can talk about numbers.
Taking the percentage of revenue from the sale of physical media out of the total revenue is simply a bad and dubious approach.
Evil tongues could even claim that this is propaganda to persuade the stupid gamer again and again that physical is dead and you should give in to the digital future.

HARDCORE PHYSICAL WILL NEVER DIE
TWX0ahS.png

bam bam bam bam flap flap flap flap

Last edited:
You also don't see people doing that to their consoles, or phones, laptops, etc... Sorry, but that's a really dumb reason.
Nah, you just don't play on the go, I guess. Carrying around a bunch of discs just isn't practical. The main reason for carrying around physical Switch games for me, is because they don't need internet like digital.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Looks like it's time, time to start selling collectors cases with bonus for $10-15, or the case with digital key for $75. That way collectors can still have something for the wall.
Better than nothing for those of you who like the boxes!

Day one retail PS5 games: 50€ and I can easily resell it for 40 if it sucks
Day One digital PS5 games: 80€ and Im stuck with it forever

Some people love to be f**** I guess, problem is that we are all getting screwed in the end thanks to them.

Looks like some people like to think what they want is what everyone else wants, so it's time to sulk. I never sell games, so explain how I'm getting screwed?
I buy games when they come out sometimes, sometimes on game subs, and sometimes way down the road when cheaper or on sale.
Also I challenge the notion that you sell every game you buy, or even half if you are a game collector. If you do you are not typical, you are the exception.

You act like there isn't other ways to save money, buy games later down the road, on sale in the digital store, via subs, so much drama that it's $80 every single time.
Also most games are the same price when they launch at the e-store vs the physical store. (there is the odd exception) Your not buying $80 games right now for $50 every time just because physical exists.

Lastly, if its that big of deal, stop playing games full stop for just 6 months and you will never pay full price for a game again.

StereoVsn

Yeah, once you really look at the numbers it’s not nearly as bad. I don’t see Sony dropping physical media in the next gen, especially outside NA.

I will also stick to physical PS5 and Switch games since you have a lot more flexibility and a degree of ownership with those.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

image.png

image.png

The OP and article are talking $$$ split. The ratio line you're talking about is units.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
PS5 with bluray drive owner.....cant recall the last physical game i purchased.

Ive been buying all digital since its more convenient or me tbh

Ordered Yakuza Gaiden from Playasia today!

Once physical is dead, I have no idea what the point of consoles is supposed to be. I'll just stay on PC - and reduce my day1 purchases drastically. Not sure why platform holders want that, but I guess I might be the weirdo here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom