• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 sales surpass 40m worldwide

drganon

Out of curiosity, I just checked the /r/games thread with the 40M PS5 sales milestone and some of the comments in there are twitter level of wildness.

image.png
There is no cure for stupidity.

Eiknarf

Banned
Pardon my ignorance but what is Xbox doing wrong? Or maybe they aren’t doing anything wrong? Then what is Sony PS5 doing right?

Last edited:

zedinen

The biggest story is that the US and Japan, the markets where PS3 and PS4 flopped, account for 50% of PS5 sales in 2023.

In other words, the PS5 will pull ahead of PS4 the following quarter and never look back.

On a time aligned-basis:

-PS5 sales are tracking 3% above PS4 in the US
-PS5 sales are tracking 20% above PS4 in Japan
-PS5 sales nearly double PS4 in China

The figure is until July 16th.

So 10m units until then for this CY.

9.0 million units (Dec LTD 31.0 M)

4cqBxxq.jpg

Iab9Zcs.jpg

ZziO1Ic.jpg

Out of curiosity, I just checked the /r/games thread with the 40M PS5 sales milestone and some of the comments in there are twitter level of wildness.

image.png

Looks like SoloKnightRobert has a new alt.

At this point Microsoft could put consoles out for free and Sony would still outsell them

Waiting for the $300 Game Pass Ultimate-Series S rebate offers any day now.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Did people really expect things to go differently?

PS5 is following PS4's succes, probably surpassing it in lifetime sales.
There was just a minor slow-down due to supply issues (pandemic and chip-shortages and all).

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Pardon my ignorance but what is Xbox doing wrong? Or maybe they aren’t doing anything wrong? Then what is Sony PS5 doing right?
For me, it was Demon's Souls. For others, probably another one of the games that Sony published since 2020. Or just the follow up of the PS4 was enough to trust them with the PS5. For Xbox, a lot of mistakes have been made. Sony did their own mistakes too, so no need to list them all again. One has still to be said because it is for me a huge one. They do not care enough of the market outside of the USA. Be it marketing, finding partners or just existing, they do not try to be global like Sony did. Even Nintendo is a lot better than Xbox in Europe from that perspective, and it should not have been the case if they cared at least a little. Shame because they have a good product in this gen and should have pushed it better. I can't understand why they are that way. Maybe with Gamepass they will try harder in Europe in the future?

bender

What time is it?
Could have gone elsewhere but since PS5 hasn't sold 41 million and then we have 110 million PS4 owners on top there is obviously tens of millions of people yet to upgrade, simple maths
We saw Halo at 120fps and Forza with Ray Tracing so we have seen it and we have Forza Motorsport to come which is a real next gen only game, there is plenty to come from the hardware, The Coalition are bound to push it further.

drganon

Could have gone elsewhere but since PS5 hasn't sold 41 million and then we have 110 million PS4 owners on top there is obviously tens of millions of people yet to upgrade, simple maths
We saw Halo at 120fps and Forza with Ray Tracing so we have seen it and we have Forza Motorsport to come which is a real next gen only game, there is plenty to come from the hardware, The Coalition are bound to push it further.
702.jpg

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Xbox doing wrong:

- Not having enough AAA games for Xbox
- Putting all their 1st party games on PC on day one, giving people less of a reason to buy an Xbox console
- Pushing GamePass so hard that many Xbox gamers aren't buying games like they use to

Sony doing right:

- Providing a true console experience that we all know and remember like Nintendo. No gimmicks.
- Putting out great AAA games
- Getting close "enough" to Gamepass with their own subscription service to satisfy most PS gamers.
- Sticking to their "generations matter" strategy like Nintendo has also done.

MrA

Banned
Maybe they really will sell over 25 million PS5s this year.
I stand by that's a long shot, Sony certainly is shooting for it though, I really didn't they'd run a sale as good as the one in Europe in July, if the US/UK summer sale happens and they run a nice sale for the holiday season they might pull it off. Though I personally stand by 22 to 23 million this year, and 125 to 135 million lifetime, unless either nintendo really drops the ball with the switch 2 or ms pulls its head out its butt and figures out how to punch its way out of a wet paper bag
The shareholders thank you.

mmm yes those dividends Sony provides are quite nice, not my fault when people fail to invest in winners, same reason I hold Nintendo stock (would buy into MS but the price per share and dividend size, eh not worth it)

Nice to see the global supply lines start to get caught up. I couldn't find that motherfucker 2 years ago to save my life. Had to settle for an XboxX for a companion for my TV. Not that it's bad either. Just weird for a PC counterpart.

NCAA Football and MLB The Show isn't on PC, so...

Last edited:
Fiscal Year Quarterly sell through versus shipped for PS5.
  • Q3 20/21 - 4.4M sold, 4.5M shipped
  • Q4 20/21 - 3.2M (7.6M) sold, 3.3M (7.8M) shipped
  • Q1 21/22 - 2.3M (9.9M) sold, 2.3M (10.1M) shipped
  • Q2 21/22 - 3.2M (13.1M) sold, 3.3M (13.4M) shipped
  • Q3 21/22 - 4.0M (17.1M) sold, 3.9M (17.3M) shipped
  • Q4 21/22 - 2.0M (19.1M) sold, 2.0M (19.3M) shipped
  • Q1 22/23 - 2.3M (21.4M) sold, 2.4M (21.7M) shipped
  • Q2 22/23 - 3.0M (24.4M) sold, 3.3M (25.0M) shipped
  • Q3 22/23 - 6.6M (31.0M) sold, 7.1M (32.1M) shipped
  • Q4 22/23 - 5.0M (36.0M) sold, 6.3M (38.4M) shipped
  • July 16 2023 - 4.0M (40.0M)
Sell through for April 1st to June 30th (Q1 23/24) would likely be around 3.5 million, so expect a shipment of around 4 million for the quarter reported next week for a LTD of around 42.4 million.

Note: It's typical for high selling platforms to have around 4 million more units shipped than sold through so expect shipped to moderately exceed sell through for the next few quarters.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

What sony is doing right is focusing on games ad the brand that s Playstation. Simple as that.

What MS is doing wrong, is not focusing on the games and their brand. As crazy as this may sound, the people that have made the best case to not buy an Xbox... is Microsoft themselves. They treat consoles like its not that important. So outside of the feel-good PR stuff, they say... their real messaging comes through too.

an example, one of the biggest games releasing this year... is an Xbox (and PC) exclusive. It speaks volumes when the business model of the platform making that game is such that you dont only not have to buy the game for $70, you don't even have to buy the Xbox to play it.

reinking

Gold Member
IMO their biggest problem is they have created an echo chamber which has caused them to lose site of games being the most important part of a console and the belief that Game Pass/streaming is more important than consoles. Their paid influencers have become so inorganic and obvious they seem to be talking to themselves at this point and it has little impact outside of Xbox circles.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
OMG will someone finally fire Jim Ryan for all his incompetence??!
Oh wait,no.. wrong news cycle sorry.

You are mixing shipped vs sold through. The number of sold through PS5s for March - July should be around 4M.

They're basically doubling their console sales from last year so far. I wonder if Q4 23 will reach 12 million console sales.
Spider Man 2 will be instrumental to get Christmas sales.

Top Bottom