• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 sales surpass 40m worldwide

Eotheod

I'll get one when it's cheap in Australia, in the meantime I'm happy that everyone is doing well. Everyone is eating this generation and it is so damn nice to see, really good time for gaming as a whole. Obviously we have shit moments but the industry is incredibly strong.

I wish Sony had done what Microsoft did and offer PlayStation through Telstra. I would have jumped on that by now, maybe even had done so at the start. Being able to get a console and pay off alongside my phone is incredibly alluring.

NEbeast

Could have gone elsewhere but since PS5 hasn't sold 40 million and then we have 110 million PS4 owners on top there is obviously tens of millions of people yet to upgrade, simple maths
We saw Halo at 120fps and Forza with Ray Tracing so we have seen it and we have Forza Motorsport to come which is a real next gen only game, there is plenty to come from the hardware, The Coalition are bound to push it further.
Frustrated World Cup GIF

zapper

i read jim ryan's press release, kudos to him, he sure knows his stuff and he's a great ceo, but now i pray sony let us know a little more about the future of ps5. I hope for a showcase similar to the old e3s for september, it would be perfect and the right time, right? once this boredom of the activision deal is over, with these sales, with a new model of ps5 and spiderman on the way, they must necessarily tell us something

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Buy one and find out.

I did that last gen and didn't like the games. It's all the same shit this gen so why would I buy one?

I don't know maybe its my personal life, or maybe it was the COVID factor but I felt PS5/this-gen has been in the market for ages.

If news says so I have to admit 40M is a lot. Feels like a decade to me.

Compared to whom ?

Xbox first party
Grounded -82
Hi-Fi Rush - 87
Pentiment - 86
Ghostwire Tokyo - 82
Deathloop - 89
Redfall - Shit

Now sequels are dismissed.

What a time to be alive. Also....3rd parties making remakes and remasters count for...reasons.
I seem to remember a time when the narrative was Xbox has no games it's all Halo, gears and Forza. How is that different than
last of us
Horizon
Spiderman

What games other than MLB has sony first party put out so far this Year?

drganon

I did that last gen and didn't like the games. It's all the same shit this gen so why would I buy one?

Xbox first party
Grounded -82
Hi-Fi Rush - 87
Pentiment - 86
Ghostwire Tokyo - 82
Deathloop - 89
Redfall - Shit

I seem to remember a time when the narrative was Xbox has no games it's all Halo, gears and Forza. How is that different than
last of us
Horizon
Spiderman

b94c45ac766105c011517adad572e557.jpg

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

Xbox first party
Grounded -82
Hi-Fi Rush - 87
Pentiment - 86
Ghostwire Tokyo - 82
Deathloop - 89
Redfall - Shit

last of us
Horizon
Spiderman

When was the first Halo, Gears and Forza game?
When was the first Last of Us, Horizon, Spider-Man game?

?

HL3.exe

And still no real forward pushing 'next gen' games released, with gameplay that we haven't already experienced on previous gen.

Last edited:
I feel like both systems sell based on the reputation of past gen, instead of what respective platforms holders have done this generation.
I think Sony have done a great job with software so far. Personally I’ve bought Demon’s Souls, Ratchet, Kena, Miles Morales, God of War, Horizon, Returnal and I got some games I missed out on through PS+ extra like Ghost of Tsushima and Death Stranding.

Poltz

Xbox first party
Grounded -82
Hi-Fi Rush - 87
Pentiment - 86
Ghostwire Tokyo - 82
Deathloop - 89
Redfall - Shit

last of us
Horizon
Spiderman

You are really comparing franchises that started in 2002, 2005 and 2006 with franchises that started in 2013, 2017 and 2018?

Last edited:

Spitfire098

Xbox first party
Grounded -82
Hi-Fi Rush - 87
Pentiment - 86
Ghostwire Tokyo - 82
Deathloop - 89
Redfall - Shit

last of us
Horizon
Spiderman

843.jpg

Mr.Phoenix

Xbox first party
Grounded -82
Hi-Fi Rush - 87
Pentiment - 86
Ghostwire Tokyo - 82
Deathloop - 89
Redfall - Shit

last of us
Horizon
Spiderman

You realize you have a problem right?

Last edited:

Neo_GAF

Banned
congratz to sony.
selling a console with no games has never been easier than today.

really questioning how far gaming has come.

i know 5 friends, who are still into gaming but all of them are playing on steam/switch, the rest are dads who used to play back in the day and only own a ps5 for fifa with friends(which i do not count)

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Ps5 is a different look but it has a formidable lineup of games, I wasn’t asking for a disk drive so I went futureproof with the digital edition, I think it’s the best console on the market and I put the series s second.

It's damning in a way to consider, that in just six months, PS5 has sold more systems than Xbox Series S & X will manage for the entirety of 2023. They will be lucky to hit 75% of that 10 million and that will require a massive boost in sales volume for September-December (because they don't have anything coming in August).

This should really put into perspective just how much brand rot has occurred with Xbox this generation. Barely tracking at OG Xbox levels in the third year is not the sign of a healthy platform.

Killer8

Biggest argument against a supposed upcoming price cut yet. You don't decide to take in less money during your most successful year in history.

Ar¢tos

Xbox first party
Grounded -82
Hi-Fi Rush - 87
Pentiment - 86
Ghostwire Tokyo - 82
Deathloop - 89
Redfall - Shit

last of us
Horizon
Spiderman

Listing games that were in development before MS bought Zenimax as wins for MS first Party seems kinda dodgy... MS has no responsibility for those scores.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Biggest argument against a supposed upcoming price cut yet. You don't decide to take in less money during your most successful year in history.
They did just that with the PS4 and Pro tho.

Base console got a price cut, Pro took over the launch price.

Banjo64

cumsessed
A game that got shat on mostly by people who never touched it.

Looks awful from afar but it's an endearingly weird and unique thing with a surprising horror undertone. As part of PS+ it was a great 7/10 distraction.
I played 10 minutes of it on Game Pass. It was a certified Game Pass game alright.

Top Bottom