• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 sales surpass 40m worldwide

No way this is correct
Xbox has only 10M outside the US?
I tend to agree with Welfare on this one, he usually has very thorough guesstimates, and If I had to guess his data is based on last year's NDP HW leaks, the official Xbox HW worldwide numbers from that recent Brazil MS conference and the US HW tidbits that Matt Piscatella provides each month. There's more to that, I'm sure, but his guesstimates should be quite accurate maybe within a 5% margin of error.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Nice presumptuous reply

The PS5 might have launched in 2020, but it did NOT come out for everyone in 2020. If it did, I would have had it. Nobody I knew could get one. So knock it off.

For everybody I know, the PS5 came out about eight months ago. When we all started getting one. And now there’s already talk of a Pro when the current base model feels new for millions of us
You said 'a slap in the face to the 40 million of us. '

Many of us had it since Nov 2020. Some of us had 2 or more since 2021, 2022.

So you mean it feels like a slap in your face and everyone you know, not 40 million. Unless you know 40 million ppl.

And to that, like some said...see the PS4 Pro.

yazenov

That's why its so disheartening to hear a PS5 Pro is already coming out. It's almost like a SLAP to the 40 million of us.
I don't get it. It will be an optional minor upgrade for the people who wants the extra power and graphic options. I think most people are happy with want they have and don't need to upgrade since I assume all games going forward will be compatible with their existing hardware.

Or, if you really want to upgrade, you could sell or trade in your existing PS5 for the pro for a fraction of the price? It's not that complected IMO and having options for better hardware such as the Pro or Slim is better than not having any options available.

The Dream Team!
eisMrSv.png
mnzuFIM.png
iu01CgQ.png
1NiUQjd.png
AcymE87.png

Eiknarf

Banned
I don't get it. It will be an optional minor upgrade for the people who wants the extra power and graphic options. I think most people are happy with want they have and don't need to upgrade since I assume all games going forward will be compatible with their existing hardware.

Or, if you really want to upgrade, you could sell or trade in your existing PS5 for the pro for a fraction of the price? It's not that complected IMO and having options for better hardware such as the Pro or Slim is better than not having any options available.
So for the rest of humanity, until AI wipes us out, is it safe to say that every console will get a sequel? Like a Hollywood movie?

The PS7
The PS7 Pro

The PS8
The PS8 Pro

Last edited:

Elios83

Great, they've basically covered the gap with PS4 created by previous shortages and are now selling at a faster pace. New model starting at 399$ + Spiderman 2 will do the rest this year.

Last edited:
Nice presumptuous reply

The PS5 might have launched in 2020, but it did NOT come out for everyone in 2020. If it did, I would have had it. Nobody I knew could get one. So knock it off.

For everybody I know, the PS5 came out about eight months ago. When we all started getting one. And now there’s already talk of a Pro when the current base model feels new for millions of us
Don't buy a Pro. It's not complicated.

...and i still don't know what games are even on the thing.

Aside from maybe FFXVI.
You're in luck as I'm currently doing/looking through all the games released so far on PS5 (physical only). There's a total of 600 PS5 games which have received a physical release in one of these 3 territories: US, PAL/EU and JP.

The data from the spreadsheet is being compiled by PS5 game collectors over at psnprofiles.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The biggest story is that the US and Japan, the markets where PS3 and PS4 flopped, account for 50% of PS5 sales in 2023.

In other words, the PS5 will pull ahead of PS4 the following quarter and never look back.

On a time aligned-basis:

-PS5 sales are tracking 3% above PS4 in the US
-PS5 sales are tracking 20% above PS4 in Japan
-PS5 sales nearly double PS4 in China

9.0 million units (Dec LTD 31.0 M)

4cqBxxq.jpg

Iab9Zcs.jpg

ZziO1Ic.jpg

PS4 didn't remotely "flop" in the US. Maybe you're thinking of the PS3? That's the only time Xbox has crushed PlayStation in America.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
That's why its so disheartening to hear a PS5 Pro is already coming out. It's almost like a SLAP to the 40 million of us.

Firstly, it's not "already" coming out. If it is even coming (it's all rumors for now) it's more than a year away (fall 2024).

Secondly, nobody's gonna force you to upgrade. Your PS5 won't be remotely destructed, it will still work and it will still run all the same games the Pro will.

Thirdly, you not having a PS5 until very recently is entirely on you. If you REALLY wanted one in 2021 you rather easily could have (without paying scalper prices). They were not readily available to just go get, no, but they were available with a little effort.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

I did that last gen and didn't like the games. It's all the same shit this gen so why would I buy one?

Xbox first party
Grounded -82
Hi-Fi Rush - 87
Pentiment - 86
Ghostwire Tokyo - 82
Deathloop - 89
Redfall - Shit

I seem to remember a time when the narrative was Xbox has no games it's all Halo, gears and Forza. How is that different than
last of us
Horizon
Spiderman

What games other than MLB has sony first party put out so far this Year?
Last gen was way better game wise and LOL@the desperation of mentioning games on other platforms.

You have no argument.

Melchiah

Nice presumptuous reply

This is just weird logic for me, like a friend of mine who bought PS3 at its twilight, and was pissed when PS4 was released. Eventhough, it was his own decision to jump in late, and there were countless good games he had missed from the PS3's earlier years. The same applies to the PS5. Plus, if you really wanted the console at launch, you should have reserved one well in advance, like I did already in February 2020. Reserving PS4 after E3 of 2013 was just early enough to get it at launch back then, and you didn't have to be Nostradamus to see that there would be more demand for PS5. Good foresight always pays off.

EDIT: Typo

Last edited:

Neo_GAF

Banned
People keep repeating this crap while others are enjoying all the games that have released.
correct me if iam wrong, this gen has less exclusive games than ever.
i myself own a ps5 and xsx, but if it wouldnt be for exclusives such as returnal and ff16, there wouldnt be a ps5 in my household, even though the ps5-controller is the best invention since dual shock.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Argos has dropped the price to £399.99 and quite a few other places, with bundles including controllers - 25 million this year EASY!

Holy shit its gonna fly!

Last edited:
Playstation is killing it. Nintendo took themselves out of the console race and Microsoft has pivoted the Xbox brand as a subscription service.....crazy.

I no see no true competitor.......

Spider-Man GIF by Insomniac Games

TrackZ

I want a Pro. A powerful and more expensive one that can hold better resolutions, frame rates, and fidelity settings on games. I'm ready to buy it this year.

PS5 is down to £399 here :messenger_face_screaming: and no it's not the digital model. That's £389. Standard PS5 is usually £480. Right now the PS5 is only £100 more than a Series S or £94 than a Switch OLED.

There has to be a slim model coming soon for them to be knocking that much off the price. So I guess I'll wait a little longer :)

Playstation is killing it. Nintendo took themselves out of the console race and Microsoft has pivoted the Xbox brand as a subscription service.....crazy.

I no see no true competitor.......

Spider-Man GIF by Insomniac Games
That's not a good thing.......

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Argos has dropped the price to £399.99 and quite a few other places, with bundles including controllers - 25 million this year EASY!

Holy shit its gonna fly!

25 million is the holy grail. It's insane that it's even remotely possible. I still think it'll end up 1 million or so short. Unless........the Spiderman PS5 sells crazy numbers.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
25 million is the holy grail. It's insane that it's even remotely possible. I still think it'll end up 1 million or so short. Unless........the Spiderman PS5 sells crazy numbers.

A 399 disk ps5 is gonna sell so many units. Like I even nearly bought a second one and sold two to work colleagues today by informing them and saying how much of a good deal it is.

If they can keep this price going for some time then Holy poop.

Millions upon millions lol

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
A 399 disk ps5 is gonna sell so many units. Like I even nearly bought a second one and sold two to work colleagues today by informing them and saying how much of a good deal it is.

They must be trying to get through their summer inventory before September hits. I'm getting concerned on how Sony will be able to sell people a slim $399 disc-less version with a $99 disc drive as an option now. This deal seems almost too good.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
They must be trying to get through their summer inventory before September hits. I'm getting concerned on how Sony will be able to sell people a slim $399 disc-less version with a $99 disc drive as an option now. This deal seems almost too good.

Maybe the new model comes with a kind of price drop. 🤔 dunno

Unknown?

I believe this is the price for the new slim model when released.

Top Bottom