• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 [OT] Taking Over The World One SSD At A Time

wd40

I've never played demon's souls, so out of curiousity I looked up some guides for it and some other stuff to see how big it is. I assumed it was like a wee 12 hour gothic romp which why I probably wasn't gonnae buy it but a 40 hour average completion time? 100+ hour platinum? holy shit lmfao. This game seems to have so much depth too and the PS3 version at least looks fun as fuck, not to mention I already thought it was probably the best looking PS5 game yet. I'm really excited to play this now lol, whenever I get my PS5, probably sometime in January or so.

DrDamn

Hmm are you sure? Seems like most games have more than 8 seconds of logos in the beginning so wording of this seems strange then. Are we sure it isn't quick resume?

See the DF article or video on the UI. They asked and had it confirmed that the joining of Destruction All-stars was a cold boot of the game from Sackboy, not a quick resume. There was just one SIE splash screen then straight into the game.

I've never played demon's souls, so out of curiousity I looked up some guides for it and some other stuff to see how big it is. I assumed it was like a wee 12 hour gothic romp which why I probably wasn't gonnae buy it but a 40 hour average completion time? 100+ hour platinum? holy shit lmfao. This game seems to have so much depth too and the PS3 version at least looks fun as fuck, not to mention I already thought it was probably the best looking PS5 game yet. I'm really excited to play this now lol, whenever I get my PS5, probably sometime in January or so.

Have you played any other Souls games? All are fairly lengthy especially if you want to be completionist, which btw will often require online guides, there's weird ass things you need to do to open up certain areas depending on the entry.

-Arcadia-

Banned
On a lark, I decided to use YouTube on my TV (only 4K screen in the house), check out the Souls trailer, and if I thought 1080p looked good... :messenger_hushed:

I really cannot wait for proper next-gen games like this. 4K for this generation of games has been awesome, but I personally feel that for it to really excel, you need to feed a screen tons of detail. The textures, world, everything, need to be just as good-looking as the sky-high resolution. This was definitely that.

I think 4K gaming, next-gen, is going to be a whole different ballgame.

Bryank75

Banned
On a lark, I decided to use YouTube on my TV (only 4K screen in the house), check out the Souls trailer, and if I thought 1080p looked good... :messenger_hushed:

I really cannot wait for proper next-gen games like this. 4K for this generation of games has been awesome, but I personally feel that for it to really excel, you need to feed a screen tons of detail. The textures, world, everything, need to be just as good-looking as the sky-high resolution. This was definitely that.

0sim2Xt.gif

Grinchy

Banned

Yep, I always watch the new footage on my TV as well. I don't think people can really even get a proper idea of what it actually looks like if they don't.

Things like the Ratchet and Clank gameplay probably don't look all that mind-blowing to someone who is just using Chrome on their computer monitor or watching on their phones, but on a good 4K HDR set in the app, it's on another level.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Yep, I always watch the new footage on my TV as well. I don't think people can really even get a proper idea of what it actually looks like if they don't.

Things like the Ratchet and Clank gameplay probably don't look all that mind-blowing to someone who is just using Chrome on their computer monitor or watching on their phones, but on a good 4K HDR set in the app, it's on another level.

It still looked really good in 1080p, but yeah, it’s a whole different thing in proper 4K.

I didn’t even look at Ratchet. I’ll have to try that out, because I thought it looked CG mindblowing in just 1080p.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
About to email Gamestop to see if they will deliver to me, since it looks like we will be in lockdown for the rest of the year... :/

Similar situation here also we are on a 4 week lockdown, I think up to and past Christmas it will be very uncertain. I have one at smyths (in store collection) and one from amazon (delivery), one for me and one for my friend so I think I am covered either way for day one play!

Bryank75

Banned
Similar situation here also we are on a 4 week lockdown, I think up to and past Christmas it will be very uncertain. I have one at smyths (in store collection) and one from amazon (delivery), one for me and one for my friend so I think I am covered either way for day one play!
This is what I got back, so far...

'We are unable to answer your query with absolute certainty at the point in time.
However in the event of store closures due to increased government restrictions, we will contact all customers that have pre-orders in store and provide further fulfillment options.'

I suppose it's the best they can do right now. If they can deliver to me, I'll be very happy.

Have you tried messaging Smyths customer service? Amazon should be 100% anyway, right?

wd40

Have you played any other Souls games? All are fairly lengthy especially if you want to be completionist, which btw will often require online guides, there's weird ass things you need to do to open up certain areas depending on the entry.
I played DS2 on 360 for like 20 minutes lol, I wasn't really caught by it, but granted I didn't really give it a chance. I'm looking up about like world tendecy and shit in demons souls, this game looks fucking unreal lmao

Nehezir

Banned
It literally says:
I noticed. and corporations also lie. Censorship, shadowbanning, which kind of data is being harvested and sold, amazon/apple/google listening in and recording more than they say etc.

Never believe anyone who works with the Anti-Defamaton League.

Nehezir

Banned
I was primarily concerned with if that was added to the TOS.

I get what you guys are saying, but it costs me nothing to not give a company willing to do that the benefit of the doubt. neither they nor their partners act in good faith.

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

I noticed. and corporations also lie. Censorship, shadowbanning, which kind of data is being harvested and sold, amazon/apple/google listening in and recording more than they say etc.

What's wrong with you?

Reficul

These days I'm replaying GOW (NG+). Yesterday I noticed that the game had received a new update.
I checked online for patch notes and it was just stability and bug fixes.
Do you guys think they have added some code snippets to make it ready for PS5?
I read that GOW3: Remastered also received a patch recently.

Social media has created a monster and the Sillicon Valley idiots finally woke up to it. Facebook, Google, TikTok: they are all trying to push the genie back in the bottle. If Sony boots anyone who can't behave I won't lose sleep over it. 4chan is still up.

WakeTheWolf

Social media has created a monster and the Sillicon Valley idiots finally woke up to it. Facebook, Google, TikTok: they are all trying to push the genie back in the bottle. If Sony boots anyone who can't behave I won't lose sleep over it. 4chan is still up.
The issue with that is moderation tends to have myopia and favors those with particular views and deems the others as hate speech.

Yep the length of it is why I'm pleasantly surprised Bluepoint got it ready for launch. If all sections of the base game have the same graphical quality as the gameplay demo oh boy.

dano1

A Sheep

Then turn of your internet and live in your basement 🙄

Thirty7ven

Banned
The issue with that is moderation tends to have myopia and favors those with particular views and deems the others as hate speech.

It's not hard, don't go around being a racist, throwing death threats, or any variation of trying to destroy the other person online through the use of offensive words.

Online has been the wild west for a while. Personally doesn't bug me, but playing online and hearing the other guy call me everything under the sun just because he's a sore loser... I don't want kids being subjected to this shit.

beck_

These days I'm replaying GOW (NG+). Yesterday I noticed that the game had received a new update.
I checked online for patch notes and it was just stability and bug fixes.
Do you guys think they have added some code snippets to make it ready for PS5?
I read that GOW3: Remastered also received a patch recently.

I expect they have gone through some of the old first party games (especially ones on PS+ collection) and added support of the PS5 card system (jump to levels etc). They said in UI reveal that some PS4 games would have that feature on day1 of PS5. I am hoping that seeing as they were doing a patch for these games, they may have used that opportunity to do some PS5 tweaks also for resolution/FPS etc.

We shall see next month.

WakeTheWolf

It's not hard, don't go around being a racist, throwing death threats, or any variation of trying to destroy the other person online through the use of offensive words.

Online has been the wild west for a while. Personally doesn't bug me, but playing online and hearing the other guy call me everything under the sun just because he's a sore loser... I don't want kids being subjected to this shit.

This is the problem in general. The echo chamber only see through the eyes of their own ideology and have no balance when it comes to moderation. There's very few places on the internet that aren't heavily moderated in a way that's rather schizophrenic and sensitive. Neogaf does not have this issue so there is hope but it's very few and far between.

I can see where your mind is though, quick to assume toxicity in gaming is mostly a racist problem. Your intepretation is what matters too. It's easy to say everything is racist and a death threat (lets face it most people aren't going out their way to kill you on the internet). My interpretation is that most of the nastiest people I've ever come across is those that are politically obsessed and hate that you don't agree with their ideology. I could be wrong but I'm okay with that. Most people just seem to deal in absolutes these days. And I don't expect Sony to moderate their chats appropriately and I think we'll get a overly-censored version of it but it won't be the end of the world.

But let's not derail. PS5 will be just fine for gamers and most people won't have to worry about their accounts being banned. Just do what most Xbox gamers do and not use the party functions.

Last edited:

DrDamn

I've heard that it might also be on PS4, but I hope not, that'd be so dissapointing.

Why would it be disappointing? At it's heart it's a damn fine PS3 game. It looks like it's following the original in gameplay terms fairly tightly but with a massive overhaul of the graphics. It's one of the best looking console titles we've seen for the next gen machines and one of the key drivers of that is the atmosphere the graphical prowess and design give it. If there is a PS4 version coming too it has taken nothing away from the PS5 title.

Cross gen games can absolutely be held back in terms of scope and implementation. The scope of this game is defined by the original and the implementation looks fantastic. There is nothing to be disappointed about.

DrDamn

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-series-x-power-consumption-and-heat-analysis

I wonder how BOTH consoles will meet the newer 2019 EU regulations, standby mode allows 2W, not 30W.

Instant resume standby does not meet EU 2W regulations or am I missing something ?

Like the X1/X1X I suspect there will be an eco-standby mode which doesn't allow for background downloads etc - that was <2W. Does seem quite a leap from the 10W of the X1X and 14W of X1 original in this respect though. PS4 Pro is also about 10W for "suspend" mode - 3W lower if you turn off power to the USB ports.

Edit: It could be the XSX was actually doing something like downloading or applying updates when they measured it at 29W.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
This is the problem in general. The echo chamber only see through the eyes of their own ideology and have no balance when it comes to moderation. There's very few places on the internet that aren't heavily moderated in a way that's rather schizophrenic and sensitive. Neogaf does not have this issue so there is hope but it's very few and far between.

I can see where your mind is though, quick to assume toxicity in gaming is mostly a racist problem. Your intepretation is what matters too. It's easy to say everything is racist and a death threat (lets face it most people aren't going out their way to kill you on the internet). My interpretation is that most of the nastiest people I've ever come across is those that are politically obsessed and hate that you don't agree with their ideology. I could be wrong but I'm okay with that. Most people just seem to deal in absolutes these days. And I don't expect Sony to moderate their chats appropriately and I think we'll get a overly-censored version of it but it won't be the end of the world.

But let's not derail. PS5 will be just fine for gamers and most people won't have to worry about their accounts being banned. Just do what most Xbox gamers do and not use the party functions.

Don’t know where you’re going with this at all.

You’re talking gibberish about ideology, as if anybody is talking about gay marriage with somebody you don’t know while playing COD or FIFA. Like what the fuck are you talking about mate?

And your advice at the end “do what most xbox gamers do” uh... ok...

xacto

It will look fun until you get to die over and over at the same boss... but hey, that SSD will be our friend in this game 👍🏻

Top Bottom