• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 [OT] Taking Over The World One SSD At A Time

splattered

Crap just got everything turned on and sync'd and realized i let my PSN subscription lapse this year so it wouldn't auto hit my account. Are the upper tiers worth it over the essentials? I primarily play Xbox but would love to play older titles... but then i think i've also read Sony isn't really adding new games to the emulation collection? Torn on what to spend on a year here... $120 won't kill me but i don't know if it's worth the extra cost.

*Also, which charging station is best for controllers? The official Sony one? Looking through Amazon seems like people complain about the angle of the controllers making it hard to charge them.

Last edited:

splattered

Also, i don't remember but weren't we supposed to get access to a crap ton of games for free just for buying the PS5? Or is that expired now/only come with an active PSN subscription?

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
The BEAST has arrived! 👹

rX8HGEn.jpg

splattered

You guys think they will offer a sale on PSN tiers before end of year or should i just pay full price now? Prob just gonna go with the middle tier.

splattered

Sorry for the onslaught of questions :)

I am getting all my PS5 games installed and the external hooked up to make sure that still works... i just figured out where the notifications/downloads tab has moved to and i see a crap ton of PS4/1 Error entries. Are these PSN games i don't have the license to because my PSN lapsed? There are like 30 or 40 of these in the list... though a lot of the games i got from PSN do already show up. Not sure what this big list of error games are? Is it safe to just delete these or should i wait until i subscribe to PSN again?

*I just googled this and it says it's been a major glitch since launch? Supposed to factory reset my ps5 to fix this? Fuck I just finished setting it up and transferring saves etc... You gotta be kidding me. I hope this isn't the case.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Sorry for the onslaught of questions :)

I am getting all my PS5 games installed and the external hooked up to make sure that still works... i just figured out where the notifications/downloads tab has moved to and i see a crap ton of PS4/1 Error entries. Are these PSN games i don't have the license to because my PSN lapsed? There are like 30 or 40 of these in the list... though a lot of the games i got from PSN do already show up. Not sure what this big list of error games are? Is it safe to just delete these or should i wait until i subscribe to PSN again?

*I just googled this and it says it's been a major glitch since launch? Supposed to factory reset my ps5 to fix this? Fuck I just finished setting it up and transferring saves etc... You gotta be kidding me. I hope this isn't the case.

Man I hope it's the latter... I'm not using any external drive so can't be any help sorry

I'm also still new. Transferd the saves I wanted last night and hit the sack. Going to have to take a look if I have access to my PS4 library so I can just pick and install. If that's the case I need to do some research to format/blank my Pro for selling it eventually.

GT7 PS5 update is downloaded and Demon's Souls as well by now I reckon. The latter will be my first real Next Gen (graphical) experience...

Robert Redford Nodding GIF by Turner Classic Movies

splattered

Man I hope it's the latter... I'm not using any external drive so can't be any help sorry

I'm also still new. Transferd the saves I wanted last night and hit the sack. Going to have to take a look if I have access to my PS4 library so I can just pick and install. If that's the case I need to do some research to format/blank my Pro for selling it eventually.

GT7 PS5 update is downloaded and Demon's Souls as well by now I reckon. The latter will be my first real Next Gen (graphical) experience...

Robert Redford Nodding GIF by Turner Classic Movies

I chose to transfer profiles and saves from my ps4 during setup.... Yet we still have to manually upload and download ps4 saves to the cloud if upgrading from ps4 to ps5 like nioh and spiderman? Wtf is this lame shit. Why are all the profile/save/version upg etc processes so crap on playstation? Geez. I might just go in and delete this long list of errors on the download list... I do see my ps4 games on external and almost 3gb of ps4 saves, so hopefully deleting all these error files won't mess anything up.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I chose to transfer profiles and saves from my ps4 during setup.... Yet we still have to manually upload and download ps4 saves to the cloud if upgrading from ps4 to ps5 like nioh and spiderman? Wtf is this lame shit. Why are all the profile/save/version upg etc processes so crap on playstation? Geez. I might just go in and delete this long list of errors on the download list... I do see my ps4 games on external and almost 3gb of ps4 saves, so hopefully deleting all these error files won't mess anything up.

Again, not familiar with external drive way of things. I chose to transfer just a hand full of saves. Those were I put hundreds of hours into. And yeah. Logged in with account password etc so i think all my games linked to my account are accessible from my PS5 library. Gonna take a good look when I can.

If I'm not mistaken your problem lies from downloading your ps4 games onto an external drive which gave the errors, correct?

Yeah maybe those error messages are a bug that don't mean anything for the completed process of the transfers. I'll delete them and see what's up. It's a bold move but yeah. Then again I want to download as little as possible and keep most of my games in my library until I want to play them and only then download them. (On the internal storage)

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Damn. It's been a while having a next gen experience. Series S was/is a great in between but damn. Demons Souls?

diffusionx

Gold Member
Does anyone know of a decent third party remote for PS5? My media remote is crapping out and I’m tired of rewarding Sony for the abhorrent build quality on their accessories.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The best tricks and hacks to maximize your PS5 experience. Do you have any other tips? Let's talk about them in the comments!

0:00 intro
0:12 Number 10
1:45 Number 9
3:22 Number 8
4:20 Number 7
5:05 Number 6
5:50 Number 5
6:48 Number 4
7:46 Number 3
9:01 Number 2
10:28 Number 1

Last edited:

splattered

I was watching my son play Ragnarok last night and all of a sudden every time he died it would make the TV glitch out and go all static and strange lines... he had to keep resetting the signal to get it to go back to normal. Anyone else have this happen to them?

Also, Slickdeals says there is a Playstation Plus Annual sale up to 40% off, hopefully this is what i need. Will check it out!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I was watching my son play Ragnarok last night and all of a sudden every time he died it would make the TV glitch out and go all static and strange lines... he had to keep resetting the signal to get it to go back to normal. Anyone else have this happen to them?

Also, Slickdeals says there is a Playstation Plus Annual sale up to 40% off, hopefully this is what i need. Will check it out!
I've never seen that.

Whenever I had weird scanline issue or the like, it was usually an HDMI HDCP handshake issue. And changing resolutions on the system itself from 4K to 1080p back to 4K resolved it.

NickFire

I've never seen that.

Whenever I had weird scanline issue or the like, it was usually an HDMI HDCP handshake issue. And changing resolutions on the system itself from 4K to 1080p back to 4K resolved it.
Any ideas on how to make TV stop turning on PS5? I'm cool with PS5 turning on TV, but I'm not a fan of TV turning on PS5 when intending to just watch TV.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Any ideas on how to make TV stop turning on PS5? I'm cool with PS5 turning on TV, but I'm not a fan of TV turning on PS5 when intending to just watch TV.
You have to disable HDMI Device Link. I turn my TV off and on, on the Home screen with all the apps, that way it doesn't do that even with HDMI Device Link enabled. If you turn it off and on in the HDMI input that the PS5 is on, it will do that.

splattered

Is there an easy way to browse the free PSN game perks for various games? Like if i want special Fornite or COD PSN packs how do i find them besides going to each individual game? I used to be able to do it on PS4 but not sure how to do it on PS5 now.

splattered

DAMMIT SONY. Welp i finally decided to go to my downloads list and delete that long list of "error" entries... it deleted half my PS4 games off my external, now i have to go back and reinstall them all from disc again. I read online somewhere you have to factory reset the system to fix that problem... or is that something different? MAN i really don't want to go back and set this whole thing up again, it took forever. Plus my son's ragnarok save, would that be safe or get deleted cause he was playing it before i had PSN again. Ugh.

Labadal

DAMMIT SONY. Welp i finally decided to go to my downloads list and delete that long list of "error" entries... it deleted half my PS4 games off my external, now i have to go back and reinstall them all from disc again. I read online somewhere you have to factory reset the system to fix that problem... or is that something different? MAN i really don't want to go back and set this whole thing up again, it took forever. Plus my son's ragnarok save, would that be safe or get deleted cause he was playing it before i had PSN again. Ugh.
Upload the save to the cloud if you have PS+.

Labadal

Question. I want to give my brother my PS4. Can we be logged in at the same time, if I use my PS5? Or should he just setup a new account? (I want him to get access to my PS+ library).

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Question for other SteelSeries Arctis 7+ Headphone users.

Do some of you also experience some distortion once in while? Using the USB cable with the Bluetooth thingy and sit 2 meters away.

Topher

Gold Member
Pretty good deal on WD SSDs in the US right now.

$109 for 1 TB

$199 for 2 TB

So I just bought the 2TB Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus and tried it in my PS5 and it was getting significantly slower than advertised speeds (averaging 4600 MB/s) and I read that I should try updating the firmware to fix the issue, so I bought a Sabrent USB enclosure to fix it. I was able to connect to my PC to format the drive, which I was able to use as a mass storage drive, but none of Sabrent's software would recognize the drive to do the firmware update. So I then had to check a bunch of stuff on my PC to make sure it wasn't my PC (it wasn't). Then I tried updating the enclosure's firmware, but it failed at 14% through the process. Now if I plug the enclosure into the USB-C port, it kills the port and I have to uninstall it and reboot my computer several times to get it back up and running.

So slower than advertised speeds, crap software, and an enclosure that semi-bricked during firmware install that kills my USB-C port. Good job, Sabrent. You're 0 for 3. I'm currently waiting on customer service, but even if they fix these issues, I'm never doing business with this company again.

Last edited:

splattered

So the SN850X with a heatsync is the one to get? (2TB)

If i have to factory reset my PS5 because of the stupid transfer errors corrupting games on my external or whatever i might as well throw a 2TB in it i guess?

Do i factory reset with the stock SSD in it or do i put the new 2TB in it first? How does that work exactly?

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Ordered The Last Guardian on disc to play at 60fps on PS5.

Google says

The PS5 can run at 60 FPS, but only under certain conditions. The game has to be running directly from the disc, which means you need to forgo any patches that attempt to auto-install when you insert it. That means you'll be running version 1.0, straight from the disc code, to enjoy your smooth frame rate.

To those who have tried. Do I have to be offline for any auto update or does it gives prompts you can decline?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Google says

The PS5 can run at 60 FPS, but only under certain conditions. The game has to be running directly from the disc, which means you need to forgo any patches that attempt to auto-install when you insert it. That means you'll be running version 1.0, straight from the disc code, to enjoy your smooth frame rate.

To those who have tried. Do I have to be offline for any auto update or does it gives prompts you can decline?

Thanks in advance
I haven't tried, but there seems to be some reports of game breaking glitches.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I haven't tried, but there seems to be some reports of game breaking glitches.

Thanks.

User - unpatched 1.00 60fps game cannot be finished, freezes as the three locations in game where it enters SLOW MOTION - have to transfer save from ps4 to 5 to continue

Ok transfer save. I have a save. Does it need to be a completed game save ? Etc etc. So useless these sites.

I'll dig around. I just couldn't handle the game on Pro.

Edit

I believe there are 2 or 3 sections in the game where you'll encounter a hard freeze when playing through the unpatched version - you'll have to patch, get past that section, save and then remove the patch again each time you reach one of those sections

Not sure how to unpatch but that works I'm golden.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Google says

Thanks in advance
It just means don't patch it. It still runs off the SDD/HDD, lol.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Lol lol lol no worries about the freezes because it still runs off the SDD/HDD, lol?
No, the freezes are just bugs/glitches. The "running off the disc" is false information. No games "ran off the disc" in the PS4 era on up, the disc is only used to launch the game, nothing more.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
No, the freezes are just bugs/glitches. The "running off the disc" is false information. No games "ran off the disc" in the PS4 era on up, the disc is only used to launch the game, nothing more.

So when the game freezes (123) times. What did you do then?

Top Bottom