• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 [OT] Taking Over The World One SSD At A Time

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I think it needed a patch. Sadly with said patches, it brought a locked 30 framerate.

Freezes were probably framerate related and not optimized that well.

I believe there are 2 or 3 sections in the game where you'll encounter a hard freeze when playing through the unpatched version - you'll have to patch, get past that section, save and then remove the patch again each time you reach one of those sections

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I believe there are 2 or 3 sections in the game where you'll encounter a hard freeze when playing through the unpatched version - you'll have to patch, get past that section, save and then remove the patch again each time you reach one of those sections
Too much work, lol.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

Have to look up if that's even possible and how..

You didn't read my posts. Shame on you

spank carls jr GIF

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I've been gaming on my PS5 for the past three or four days, and I have to say it's damn impressive for something that was only $500. My gaming PC was around $2k and while it can crank games at like 120fps 4K, they don't actually look all that much better than they do on PS5. I guess it's the upscaling. Or that I have a really nice TV.

Anyways, I think console gaming has finally reached a level where building a big PC rig isn't really needed. Like, if you want, go for it. But the console experience finally feels on the level now. I also tried out a Series X recently and was impressed with it as well. The UI was still kind of fugly and it didn't load games quite as quickly as my PS5, but it was good as well.

Forth

Neophyte
When I try to download a game on my PS5 I nearly always get a NW102633-5 network error, this says the connection to the server has been lost.
Restarting the download always works the second time but should I be worried?

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
So, i've found a couple of available PS5's (GOW Ragnarök bundle for 595€) and i'm ready to pull the trigger but...we KNOW there's a new PS5 incoming (Slim or whatever) in a few months, OCD too stronK my guys, don't know what to do, it's just that i want to play some quality shit, i've had it with the XSX and the gamepass fodder that i've been playing for the past couple of months (or, should i say "years").

Opinions ? Wait or grab it now ?
Cheers

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
So, i've found a couple of available PS5's (GOW Ragnarök bundle for 595€) and i'm ready to pull the trigger but...we KNOW there's a new PS5 incoming (Slim or whatever) in a few months, OCD too stronK my guys, don't know what to do, it's just that i want to play some quality shit, i've had it with the XSX and the gamepass fodder that i've been playing for the past couple of months (or, should i say "years").

Cheers
it's a slim there isn't gonna be any performance improvements. just buy it if you have the cash

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member

Cheers
I don't think the Slim will come soon given that just now the console started being available in larger quantities. Bought it from Sony yesterday, now it's Out of Stock again.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
So guys, PS5 remote play, what's your experience with it ?
I can't connect to PS5 no matter what I do.
Both my phone and PS5 are on the same home network obviously, tried everything suggested on Sony's site, opened/forwarded a couple of ports aaaand...still the same.
I even tried hardwiring the PS5 but it didn't help.

Took a look at the reviews on the Google store both for this and the PS app and the majority of users appear to have the same problem, they also can't connect to their consoles remotely, that, and the fact that the dualsense doesn't work properly even on Android 12.

In your opinion, is this network related (i.e : home router/modem/ ISP blocking specific ports) or is it a fuck up on Sony's side ? (App broke things etc) ?
I am really, really curious...

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
So guys, PS5 remote play, what's your experience with it ?
I can't connect to PS5 no matter what I do.
Both my phone and PS5 are on the same home network obviously, tried everything suggested on Sony's site, opened/forwarded a couple of ports aaaand...still the same.
I even tried hardwiring the PS5 but it didn't help.

Took a look at the reviews on the Google store both for this and the PS app and the majority of users appear to have the same problem, they also can't connect to their consoles remotely, that, and the fact that the dualsense doesn't work properly even on Android 12.

In your opinion, is this network related (i.e : home router/modem/ ISP blocking specific ports) or is it a fuck up on Sony's side ? (App broke things etc) ?
I am really, really curious...

I've used remote play on my iPad Pro a few times, within my house. I didn't have to fuss with my router or anything. That's weird man, it just works for me and my girl, sorry you're having issues. Did you try another device?

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I've used remote play on my iPad Pro a few times, within my house. I didn't have to fuss with my router or anything. That's weird man, it just works for me and my girl, sorry you're having issues. Did you try another device?

Hey burger , thanks for chiming in friend 😉.

It's the weirdest friggin' thing man, for example, on the PS app I can see my PS5, I can see the SSD and the apps installed but, when I try to remote DL or remote delete something i get presented with an error message and the usual troubleshooting tips.
Same thing with the remote play app, I can see my PS5 on the initial screen but when I try to connect, it searches for a home network, doesn't find the PS5, skips to "searching via internet" and after a good 30 seconds or so I get the "PS5 not found".

Now, this is with the PS5 in standby mode, when I have the PS5 turned on I can use both the PS app and the remote play one normally.
I'm on a Oneplus Nord on Android 12.

Get this : when I have the PS5 connected through the phone's hotspot everything works normally (i.e : home Wi-Fi disabled, 5G on my smartphone enabled, PS5 connected to its hotspot) so, maybe my router is at fault here or my ISP is blocking some ports ?
Am at my wit's end, IF it's a router thing i might as well grab a different one, thing is, i don't want to go and spend 150-170 euros for a good wi-fi 6 one if I'm going to be presented with the same exact problems.
I've had it with my ISP here in Italy (Fastweb) and the fookin' router they provide, then again, as I mentioned in my previous post, there are MANY users having the same problems in the Google play store reviews for both the PS and remote play app, that's why I said that maybe Sony killed the connectivity due to a bad app update and/or PS5 FW update.

Thanks
PS: I'm on a 1Gbps FWA connection and i've put a static IP on my PS5.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Hey burger , thanks for chiming in friend 😉.

It's the weirdest friggin' thing man, for example, on the PS app I can see my PS5, I can see the SSD and the apps installed but, when I try to remote DL or delete something I get presented with an error message and the usual troubleshooting tips.
Same thing with the remote play app, I can see my PS5 on the initial screen but when I try to connect , it searches for a home network, doesn't find the PS5, skips to "searching via internet" and after a good 30 seconds or so I get the "PS5 not found".

Now, this is with the PS5 in standby mode, when I have the PS5 turned on I can use both the PS app and the remote play one normally.
I'm on a Oneplus Nord on Android 12.

Get this : when I have the PS5 connected through the phone's hotspot everything works normally (i.e : 5G on my smartphone enabled, PS5 connected to its hotspot) so, maybe my router is at fault here or my ISP blocking some ports ?
Am at my wit's end, IF it's a router thing i might as well grab a different one, thing is, I don't want to spend 150-170 euros for a good wi-fi 6 one if I'm going to presented with the same exact problems.
I've had it with my ISP here in Italy (Fastweb) and the fookin' router they provide, then again, as I mentioned in my previous post, there's MANY users having the same problems in the Google play store reviews for both the PS and remote play app, that's why I said that maybe Sony killed the connectivity due to a bad app update and/or PS5 FW update.

Thanks
PS: I'm on a 1Gbps FWA connection

Personally, I'd check the router and disable any and all features one by one. I used to have a rebranded router from my ISP (Verizon, fiber) and it had some kind of quality control feature buried in some corner of its "advanced" settings. When I turned it off my download speeds over wifi increased by like 50% - no shit. I wonder if your router has some similar feature that is preventing devices from communicating with each other over certain ports on the local network.

Celcius

°Temp. member
People say that the data on SSD's doesn't last as long as the data on HDD's, but this wouldn't be an issue for a long time right? Like, if you put your ps5 in storage for a few years and then take it out, the SSD's wouldn't be corrupted/empty or anything, right?

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
People say that the data on SSD's doesn't last as long as the data on HDD's, but this wouldn't be an issue for a long time right? Like, if you put your ps5 in storage for a few years and then take it out, the SSD's wouldn't be corrupted/empty or anything, right?
You should be fine. What they mean by that is that SSDs have a write life to them, which you will be fine as well and would more than likely never fully saturate for as long as you own the console.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Personally, I'd check the router and disable any and all features one by one. I used to have a rebranded router from my ISP (Verizon, fiber) and it had some kind of quality control feature buried in some corner of its "advanced" settings. When I turned it off my download speeds over wifi increased by like 50% - no shit. I wonder if your router has some similar feature that is preventing devices from communicating with each other over certain ports on the local network.
Just an update on this in case anyone's interested :
Got a new router (TP-Link Archer AX53) aaaand...now everything works perfectly, can connect to my network via DHCP without having to put a static IP on the PS5 and opening ports on the router, PS app works normally (install/delete games remotely) and remote play connects in an instant.

It was my friggin' ISP's router in the end which wouldn't work properly with my PS5.

Cheers

Labadal

This month in PlayStation Stars rewards program, it says to buy either Octopath Traveler II, Like A Dragon: Ishin! and some other games. I have the two games mentioned, but physical versions. Do you only get the reward for buying directly from the PSN Store?

This month in PlayStation Stars rewards program, it says to buy either Octopath Traveler II, Like A Dragon: Ishin! and some other games. I have the two games mentioned, but physical versions. Do you only get the reward for buying directly from the PSN Store?
Yes, because it came directly from the PS store. Otherwise you could of bought the game for cheap or been gifted so that is why physical copies don't count.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
These madafakin Dualsenses man, i didn't think that they could be worse quality-wise from the MS series joypads but, here we are....
The original white one that came with my GOW Ragnarok bundle is A-OK, the cosmic purple one that i got 2 weeks ago though developed a creak, everytime i push/squeeze the right part of the joypad it makes these annoying squeaking/creaking sound, also, when i press the right trigger it's like it touches on the lower part of the chassis which is also g'damn annoying...

Got it from Gamestop, i don't know whether i should take it back or keep it - what's their return policy btw ?

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
These madafakin Dualsenses man, i didn't think that they could be worse quality-wise from the MS series joypads but, here we are....
The original white one that came with my GOW Ragnarok bundle is A-OK, the cosmic purple one that i got 2 weeks ago though developed a creak, everytime i push/squeeze the right part of the joypad it makes these annoying squeaking/creaking sound, also, when i press the right trigger it's like it touches on the lower part of the chassis which is also g'damn annoying...

Got it from Gamestop, i don't know whether i should take it back or keep it - what's their return policy btw ?
I would try and swap that shit. Tell them it's only been two weeks and it's already making noises, etc.. Just do a swap and you should probably be good.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I would try and swap that shit. Tell them it's only been two weeks and it's already making noises, etc.. Just do a swap and you should probably be good.

Thanks brother, here's the thing : function-wise, it's OK, i don't think they'll swap it for another one just 'cause the plastics are creaking...
Also : i don't know if it was like this since the beginning 'cause i game with headphones on, but, if it wasn't, i can't understand how such a problem would develop, i mean, joypad hasn't been dropped nor do i perform a death-grip when i play.

Man, i don't know what's wrong with this gen's peripherals, first the Joycons, then the series X/S controllers and now the Dualsenses, absolutely horrid/shoddy quality the lot of 'em.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Thanks brother, here's the thing : function-wise, it's OK, i don't think they'll swap it for another one just 'cause the plastics are creaking...
Also : i don't know if it was like this since the beginning 'cause i game with headphones on, but, if it wasn't, i can't understand how such a problem would develop, i mean, joypad hasn't been dropped nor do i perform a death-grip when i play.

Man, i don't know what's wrong with this gen's peripherals, first the Joycons, then the series X/S controllers and now the Dualsenses, absolutely horrid/shoddy quality the lot of 'em.
Just so many being produced that you have a higher chance of running into certain issues, especially as they try and keep BOM costs down.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Just so many being produced that you have a higher chance of running into certain issues, especially as they try and keep BOM costs down.

OK, took the controller back to gamestop for a swap.
Got the black one which is the new version (thicker springs), meaning, all new controller batches are the revisited version so that's good.

Now, for a quick question : got me the official dualsense charger - is it Ok if i rest/put my controller in it after i finish a session or will that fook up the battery ? Is it better if i let the battery drain - say - half-way before putting it on the charger or can i use it basically as a joypad holder ?

Cheers

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
OK, took the controller back to gamestop for a swap.
Got the black one which is the new version (thicker springs), meaning, all new controller batches are the revisited version so that's good.

Now, for a quick question : got me the official dualsense charger - is it Ok if i rest/put my controller in it after i finish a session or will that fook up the battery ? Is it better if i let the battery drain - say - half-way before putting it on the charger or can i use it basically as a joypad holder ?

Cheers
It’s perfectly fine to do so. New batteries are Lithium Ion so it’s healthier to keep an up charge and charge often after use and not let them drain fully.

Old nickel batteries would wear and develop a “memory.” Thus a full drain was needed for those.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Does Sony not make the digital edition anymore? I took a quick look on Amazon and I see the regular edition is in stock but it looks like the digital version isn't being sold at all anymore?

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Does Sony not make the digital edition anymore? I took a quick look on Amazon and I see the regular edition is in stock but it looks like the digital version isn't being sold at all anymore?
Amazon, PlayStation.com, BestBuy, and GameStop have it.

I'm not sure if Walmart sells a DE, but all they have on the shelf is the disc version. At GameStop the have the disc version front and center on the shelf when you walk in, then the DE is kept in storage. Would probably make sense GS wants to push the disc edition. My local GS has both in stock. PS5 is all of the sudden available everywhere. They must be making a shitload of them.
---
On a different note, I bought the Pulse 3D headset today in black. I'm glad it fits well, is comfortable, and doesn't smush my ears. It has really good sound, I just wish it could go louder since I'm kind of deaf so it's not very loud to me and I'd like to damage my ears some more, I suppose.

Next up I'm looking to get some black face plates. I'd rather have the console blend into the shadows instead of being a big white labia router eyesore. Looks like you can get face plates for about $35 on Amazon. Might pull the trigger on this Mes Merry brand.

*EDIT*
Looks like there's 3 ways to adjust the volume on the headset:
1. The volume buttons
2. The 'Game/Chat' slider
3. Using the EQ settings you can boost each range and it will increase the volume. I went with Bass at 6dB, Low/Mid/High at 3dB, and Treble at 4dB. Now it's much louder just how I like it.

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
I'm getting a PS5 Friday! Yay!

What would you guys recommend me to play? I've mostly been with very little free time lately so I'll probably skip long, story driven games by now
Astro playroom is amazing! Fun platformer to initiate yourself with the dualsense, and comes free with your playstation. And you still have until May 9 to take any game that you would want to play from the PS collection. Outside of that, no idea. If you liked Elden Ring maybe Demon's souls Remastered? Long game but worth it if you are into Souls. There is no big story so you can play it at your leisure.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

What would you guys recommend me to play? I've mostly been with very little free time lately so I'll probably skip long, story driven games by now

Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart is story driven, but it's short and can easily be set down after short sessions and picked back up later without any kind of deep learning curve or a story so sophisticated you'll forget what happened after a few days away from it.

Returnal is a sort-of roguelike, so there's that.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member

As previously mentioned, definitely start with Astro's Playroom. It does a great job of showing off the DualSense controller and is packed with PlayStation nostalgia. They're also giving away Sackboy: A Big Adventure as part of the PS+ monthly free games lineup. That's some more lightweight gaming in the same vein as Astro's Playroom. If you like racing, Hotwheels Unleashed is on sale for $10 for another week. It's one of my go-to Steam Deck games because of how easy it is to play in quick little sessions.

We need to play a co-op game of some sorts. PS+ Extra and Premium have all sorts of games to play, including Ubisoft Classic collection. I figure we can drop a couple hundred hours in Division 2 if you're up to it?:messenger_halo: JK, but maybe something like Ghost Recon Wildlands would be cool.

Last edited:

Playstation is everywhere...here in Portugal you can even buy their PS store vouchers on ATMs...not sure if everywhere else, so now you can even see ads for PS store promo campaigns in every ATM right now, lmao.

The massive promo campaign Sony is doing around Playstation this year is honestly crazy. I never leave the house without some outdoor, some promo for some game, i turn on the TV and UEFA games Playstation is everywhere.

It's honestly crazy.

Nankatsu

Just a heads-up - don't be like me: I have my PS5 enabled to do auto-updates and I left it on rest mode before playing the final boss in a game (Yakuza: Ishin). Why? Because the game itself doesn't allow any type of saving on the final segment.

Suffice to say a firmware update came out, console starts updating in the middle of the night and my progress went all to shit before the boss. And the final segment are like 4 boss battle before the final one.

This Is Fine GIF

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Seems like they finally did something to psn speeds at my location. I am wired to ps5 but still had maybe 200mbits speeds and I have a 600mbit connection.
I am still not getting full 75MB/s speeds but close to 60. copying from drive is around 30-35MB accordingly.
So yeah, download is about 2x faster than disc installation.

#STAYPHYSICAL #STAYSTRONG

rxsZlIO.jpg

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Seems like they finally did something to psn speeds at my location. I am wired to ps5 but still had maybe 200mbits speeds and I have a 600mbit connection.
I am still not getting full 75MB/s speeds but close to 60. copying from drive is around 30-35MB accordingly.
So yeah, download is about 2x faster than disc installation.

#STAYPHYSICAL #STAYSTRONG

rxsZlIO.jpg

I am now on my second gigabit provider and still only get around 300 mbps from PSN. Steam or Xbox Live both pretty much max out. Nintendo is still by far the worst - it can and usually does take 20+ minutes to download around 6 GB.

Top Bottom