• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 Is The “Most Exciting Hardware In 20 Years”, According to Technical-Minded Sources.

HarryKS

Jonathan Blow seemed to think that as well during a stream. If it's from a dev, it's probably a good sign. It's likely to do with the SSD. The philosophy seems to be about instant or almost instantaneous feedback to the player.

This is to take on streaming devices. It's obvious it's the future but it's still nascent so there's some money to be made with consoles yet.

Vawn

Banned
Unless it's doing something different, I don't buy it. At this point, "more powerful" is less exciting every generation as we are reaching diminishing returns.

Honestly, Switch is probably the most exciting hardware we've had in years. That and PSVR. PS5 and XSeX are looking like just more powerful versions of what we have (just like PS4 and XBO were).

Banned
I dunno why I see many downplaying hardware importance here

while I agree moar games are better than moar flops or performance,

but we couldn't deny that those raw horsepower that could transcend us into new level of graphical fidelity and also open many gameplay possibility with it's performance increase, thus it is interesting to see what those horsepower could brings, otherwise we would have ton of games but stuck at ps3 muddy graphics and lame AI

Vawn

Banned

but we couldn't deny that those raw horsepower that could transcend us into new level of graphical fidelity and also open many gameplay possibility with it's performance increase, thus it is interesting to see what those horsepower could brings, otherwise we would have ton of games but stuck at ps3 muddy graphics and lame AI

AI has improved drastically since PS3? You could have fooled me.

And I still see plenty of AAA games that looks less impressive than Last of Us or Uncharted 3.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

1) We're hitting diminishing returns so hard at this point that moar graphics isn't terribly exciting. I don't see what gameplay possibilities more horsepower, on its own, opens up beyond allowing Ubisoft to CTRL-V more square footage in their games. The only developers that are really to be able to take advantage of it are the AAAs that think development budget rather than design is what makes a game.

2) It's basically just playing catch-up to PCs anyway.

Show me a game that grabs my attention like MGS2 did back in the day, and we'll talk.

Last edited:
I only trust Hellpoint Dev
god_damn_right_breaking_bad.gif

Optical Computing . Volume Rendering , Foveated Rendering

Are you still on ReRAM thread of hope? 😅

I remember Tommy Fisher hinted about 3D stacked memory system for PS5.

What do you think it could be?

I'm thinking 2GB of Dram stacked on/with the APU with very very fast bandwidth to help with ray-tracing.

Or, ReRAM, cross point is 3D stacked too.

Or, 8GB HBMe like early rumors suggested.

THEAP99

Banned
With how dominant the switch has been along with the move to streaming in the future, I can totally see this being a hybrid

POTUS

Banned
The PS5 is more exciting hardware by far (despite having only ~8TFs of power) for the following reasons...

1. It has a custom dual channel quad antenna wifi direct chip inside that will wirelessly output to the PSVR2's dual 4K resolution RGB stripe OLED displays (one per each eye to completely eliminate the screendoor effect) at 120hz and with extremely low latency that uses predictive algorithms to decrease latency further.

2. It has custom hardware inside the headset (eye tracking cameras and inside out tracking) that enable foveated rendering so that 9.2TFs and wifi direct bandwidth is sufficient to generate lifelike graphics (since they only have to be rendered in full resolution in the area of the display that lies exactly opposite to the person's fovea).

3. The PS VR2 features haptic feedback glove VR controllers that can simulate the feel of touching human skin.

4. The PS5 has a signficantly faster SSD and higher bandwidth memory than the XSX to make loadtimes a thing of the fast.

These four factors combine to make PS5 a far far more exciting device.

Remember how excited the world was by the Nintendo Wii. PS VR 2 and it's Haptic Glove Controllers are going to make the Wii look like a typewriter in the age of computers.

Don't ask me how I know this. I just do. And please dont ask me or start making guesses as to what I do.

Last edited:

DeeDogg_

Banned
You guys are always talking about hating kotaku and their journalist... and yet I see several posts from them on the first page alone.
It’s almost like this is a forum made up of thousands of different people w differing beliefs! And Jschreiher basically is the king of inside gaming scoops right now

POTUS

Banned
The VR enabled PS5 haptic controller uses microfilaments specially designed such that they can perfectly and indistinguishably simulate the feel of touching real human skin.

Last edited:
The PS5 is more exciting hardware by far (despite having only ~8TFs of power) for the following reasons...

1. It has a custom dual channel quad antenna wifi direct chip inside that will wirelessly output to the PSVR2's dual 4K resolution RGB stripe OLED displays (one per each eye to completely eliminate the screendoor effect) at 120hz and with extremely low latency that uses predictive algorithms to decrease latency further.

2. It has custom hardware inside the headset (eye tracking cameras and inside out tracking) that enable foveated rendering so that 9.2TFs and wifi direct bandwidth is sufficient to generate lifelike graphics (since they only have to be rendered in full resolution in the area of the display that lies exactly opposite to the person's fovea).

Don't ask me how I know this. I just do. And please dont ask me or start making guesses as to what I do.
WTF, lol, what a bunch of nonsense. how do you convince yourself that any of this is true? Lol.

Last edited:
It can't compete with the Xbox tower. Microsoft's stock is like triple Sony's! You will all be ashamed of your words and deeds.

m1QCx5I.gif

Whoopedy fucking doo! Just show me the damn launch software line-up tomorrow Sony! Same goes for you MS. Pre-rendered cinematics don't count for shit!

How much more "exciting" can another black box stuff with computer parts really be? Hardware would have to do something pretty revolutionary to be as exciting or even more exciting than the initial jump to 3D.

Last edited:

Terenty

If the new generation of Sony games will be as exciting as this one i'll gladly not buy PS5 then

Last edited:

9,2TF confirmed... becase is not:
"most powerfull in 20 years" but only: "most exciting in 20 years"

"technical-minded folks" suggest:
they know better and you can trust them that TF are not essential to a console, the excitement is necessary...

hahaha

Last edited:

Dargor

Well, Teraflopfs or "theoretical maximum hardware speeds" don't matter, it seems... :messenger_smirking:

That depends, obviously. If the maximum for one is 12 and the other 11.5, it patently doesnt matter.

But if the maximum for one is 12 and the other is 9, well, it suddenly matters alot.

Though it must be said, that won't decide who sells the most at the end of the day, that relies on way more variables.

Unless it's doing something different, I don't buy it. At this point, "more powerful" is less exciting every generation as we are reaching diminishing returns.

Honestly, Switch is probably the most exciting hardware we've had in years. That and PSVR. PS5 and XSeX are looking like just more powerful versions of what we have (just like PS4 and XBO were).

oh yea a handheld that can be played on a tv is soooo exciting.

Flux Capacitor confirmed !

6F937BI.jpg

It will revolutionize multiplayer games !
[Pro tip : always play against past-self, as future-self already knows the outcome. Bastard.]

Handel

The Switch is an exciting piece of hardware, powerful consoles that are weaker than high end PCs are a snoozefest.

I +1 this post.

Kagey K

Banned
Who are these technically minded sources giving an opinion and not being named?

Hopefully after the reveal they will raise their hand, or I’m going to assume they are Spark Flurney and Mayan Mouse.

lekain

Neo Member
I expect a beefy upgrade in OS functionalities from the PS4. And some features that will surprise Microsoft.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Well, Teraflopfs or "theoretical maximum hardware speeds" don't matter, it seems... :messenger_smirking:

Well I don't think you can get a better CPU than the one in the XSX, but maybe I'm wrong. So the SSD is a bit faster, wow... Are these people already damage controlling because we won't see anything new and special compared to the XSX? We are probably getting two very similar consoles, and each will have something to brag about.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dontero

Banned
I mean it will be amazing to see decent CPU and GPU in consoles to get proper jump. PS4 and Xbox were severely hampered by shitty CPU and in case of PS4 if you would change just CPU alone you would be able to play Witcher 3 in 60fps at 900p

ZywyPL

Banned
It's hard for me to get excited, the same way I cannot be excited about EA/Ubi games... No matter how great the console will be, if all it will have to offer will be yet again a 3rd person, on-rails, cut-scene/script filled cinematic experience once a year, then I will have zero interest in getting it at all. Bring back Sony from PSX/PS3/PS3 times, then we can talk.

Kagey K

Banned
It's hard for me to get excited, the same way I cannot be excited about EA/Ubi games... No matter how great the console will be, if all it will have to offer will be yet again a 3rd person, on-rails, cut-scene/script filled cinematic experience once a year, then I will have zero interest in getting it at all. Bring back Sony from PSX/PS3/PS3 times, then we can talk.
But it’s the best thing in gaming in 20 years. ((If you only pay attention to Sony and gaming) How dare you not be pumped,

kiphalfton

It’s almost like this is a forum made up of thousands of different people w differing beliefs! And Jschreiher basically is the king of inside gaming scoops right now

I had never even heard of this guy up until recently, but he seems to be all over the place with his predictions. In the tweet posted in this thread, i.e. the one from yesterday, he essentially predicted that the ps5 is going to impress. In the tweet he made today, he predicted it's going to probably disappoint. Well crap, which is it mr. King of inside scoops.

kiphalfton

Lol.

It's what the Wii U should have been, but is otherwise unremarkable.

Kagey K

Banned
I had never even heard of this guy up until recently, but he seems to be all over the place with his predictions. In the tweet posted in this thread, i.e. the one from yesterday, he essentially predicted that the ps5 is going to impress. In the tweet he made today, he predicted it's going to probably disappoint. Well crap, which is it mr. King of inside scoops.

Cover all the bases and pretend you were right the entire time. 😉

Top Bottom