• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 1 |OT| The Original: Codename PSX

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
The PSOne revision looked a lot like an Apple product..

Honestly probably the GOAT console, but I would have to think long and hard over it. I was going to do some cleaning later so I'll have to post some of the random old Playstation shit I have around.

Domisto

X + R1 + D-pad up for handstand when climbing up ledges.
R1 + Square + D-pad up for swan dive. Don't do it on solid ground, if you land on lower ground you'll break your neck.

Enjoy the ride, it's one of my all time favorites.
I didn't see that in the manual. And I even went for a wander round Lara's mansion. Good tip. I'm a couple of levels in and the atmosphere and exploration is really hitting the spot. Just need to improve my dpad skills, very rusty, so combat is messy atm.

tav7623

I first heard/found out about the PS1/PSX back in 1995 in the pages of GamePro & Electronic Gaming Monthly, but since my family had recently (like 9 -10 months prior) purchased a Sega Genesis w/Sonic 2 I had no real interest in the system (though I do remember occasionally playing the system demo kiosk our local Sears had in their electronics department while my parents did their shopping...which ironically enough was placed right next to a Nintendo Virtual Boy demo kiosk) until the summer of 1997 when our Genesis died on us (I blame the system's death on NFL QB Club 96, seriously F*** that game :p) and right around that same time I had read about this (imo) cool looking game coming out later that year in the Sept 1997 issue of Elctronic Gaming monthly (which I still have) called Tomb Raider 2. Well a few months later for Christmas we (my sister & I ) ended up getting a PS1 along with The Lost World Jurassic Park (which sucked) and Crash Bandicoot (which didn't suck), unfortunately my parents didn't realize that you also needed to get/have a memory card for the system so we couldn't save our progress until the next day when I was able to hitch a ride (since my parents had to work and I wasn't old enough to drive yet) with my Grandfather & Cousins to our local K-Mart (which is funnily enough where I purchased the Sept 1997 issue of EGM) where I used up all my B-day & Christmas money (I have a Nov b-day so I usually saved all my B-day & Christmas money to get something after Christmas) to get a Mad Catz PS1 memory card double pack along with the recently released Tomb Raider 2.

Now that story time is over here are the answers to the rest of the OP's questions

Favorite Games (sorry I just can't pick one :p ) - RE 2/RE2 Dual Shock Edition, RE 3, MGS, Tomb Raider 2, Tomb Raider 4, Tomba, WWF Smackdown 2, Nascar 98, Parasite Eve, Road Rash, Crash Bandicoot Trilogy, Tekken 3, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Castlevania: SotN, Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare, Strider 2, Silent Hill

First PS1 game - Lost World: Jurassic Park (Christmas present, Crash was considered my sister's game) & Tomb Raider 2 (purchased myself)

Have you ever used/touched any of the PS1 Light Guns - No

Have you ever used the PS1's Music 2000 feature - No, I had a CD walkman at the time (a few years later I'd end up getting an Ipod for Christmas) so I would listen to music that way (I used to listen to Kid Rock's Devil Without a Cause a lot especially when playing Street Fighter Alpha 3 and would really start hitting my groove right around the time "I am the BullGod" came on)

Do you still own a PS1 - No, I unfortunately don't (got rid of it about 9 years ago), but I still have a bunch (at least 30) physical PS1 games (plus about 20 digital PS1 games on PSN/PS3) and will usually play them on either my PS2 Slim or PS3 every once in a while.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

I got mine in 1999. Some of the first games were Gran Turismo, TOCA 2: Touring Cars, NHL 98 and Croc. We also got Crash 2 and Metal Gear Solid soon after. We also had a lot of demo discs.

Last edited:

Shotpun

I didn't see that in the manual. And I even went for a wander round Lara's mansion. Good tip. I'm a couple of levels in and the atmosphere and exploration is really hitting the spot. Just need to improve my dpad skills, very rusty, so combat is messy atm.

Some have trouble with the movement system and that's not that surprising, I've played TR since 96 and I still run into walls, that's just how it is. I don't personally mind it as the accuracy of jumping is the beauty of it. Just hop backwards from a ledge and do a running jump and you'll jump right at the edge.

Combat isn't all that graceful, shoot from somewhere where the wildlife can't get to you if you can, or just jump around and shoot.

stranno

I remember arguing on here in days gone by that the original official abbreviation for PlayStation was PSX. People actually disputed this. It was hilarious.
While they dont have any problems calling Atari 2600 to the Atari VCS, when it was under the VCS name five long years (pretty much all his lifespam).

Sparda

Banned
Still regret trading in my Saturn + games Panzer Dragoon Saga included to get this thing.
747579.jpg

it's fine to like bad products.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I remember it being essential to have an RGB scart not only for PQ but so I could swap disc and run US imports at 60hz
Although a lot of friends got theres chipped with a smug sense of a achievement on their faces when telling me they can play copies.
That smugness soon faded when I showed them they don't need to have a chip 😊

SonGoku

Im confused with the different names
When the PlayStation 1 released what was it called officially?
  • PlayStation
  • PlayStation One
  • PSX

Last edited:

Shotpun

Im confused with the different names
When the PlayStation 1 released what was it called officially?
  • PlayStation
  • PlayStation One
  • PSX

PlayStation.

PS one was the "slim" re-release model, PSX was the codename of the console during deveploment.

alienator

When did you get a PSX?
around 1998/99

What was your first game? What is your favourite game?
tekken 1, but favorite game, too many, SOTN, Tobal 2 , all the shmups

Ever lay your hands on the light guns?
Yes, i have 2 guncons, time crisis, point blank, elemental gearbolt and a lot more (still have a crt tv too :) ) especially Point blank is CRAZY fun in mp.

Did you use Music 2000?
Have played around with it.. but i liked 'DEPTH"(fluid) more :D , also, the visualiser in later psx models was crazy cool stuff

Or have you still never owned one?
i have 3 (modchipped) psx's here still lying around, aswell a PSone which i still use until this day. crazy how they still work and refuse to die. (KNOCKS WOOD)

I got a Playstation for Christmas. I got Twisted Metal 2 and Battle Arena Toshinden. The thing is the system was broken- there was something wrong with the plastic bit the disc "clicks" onto when you put it in the console. So I didn't get to play it until the next day after exchanging it. But man I love Twisted Metal 2 and Toshinden to this day. I think it had a demo disc too? I don't remember.

Final Fantasy VII, VIII and Tactics are still some of my all-time favorite games. Such an awesome console.

Last edited:

Domisto

I assume you have noticed the game can still be surprisingly scary! The strong atmosphere has always been one of the main reasons why I love the game.
Yeah. That was me just getting out of a pool and immediately being savaged from behind by a bear. Nice.

The bear lost.

I'm another level in and nobody told me about dinosaurs. I was feeling smug for discovering stuff quickly and then got eaten whole.

I'm liking the controls. The side jump is great and there's plenty of movement options. The climbing handstand is amazing and might even come in handy for a narrow ledge, maybe not, I don't mind. Controls can be a bit stiff at times but that kinda works in an odd way as it means fights get scrappy more like in real life. And sometimes you have to play dirty and shoot from a ledge. Adds a little vulnerability. And I like that the look around views actually match what Lara can see by moving her head rather than a completely free floating camera.

What I'm noticing coming to this nearly 23 years later, wow, 23 years. I'm noticing what's not there compared to a lot of other games and modern gaming. There's no HUD or info popping up on screen. Your health only appears during combat. No waypoints. No map, you get a darn compass in the inventory which feels like a joke. There's no other people so far. There's hardly any sound, then those patches of music that really stand out. No quick saving. I'm tense when I haven't found a save point for a while.

It's good.

MP!

FFVII made me buy a PS back in the day... favorite game on that system...

I regret not getting a 64 but I don't regret experiencing
FFVII
FFVIII
FFIX
MGS
GT
THPS
Harvest Moon: Back to nature

that's probably it
FFVII was just one of those games I could not ignore.. I had to play it... I mowed lawns all summer in the Las Vegas HEAT to save for an N64 which I had waited for since first hearing about it in 95.... but 1997 man... that game... ultimately it came down to the fact that 3 of my friends had N64s and I could still play plenty of N64 at their houses... but FFVII i needed at my house ...... I wish I could rewrite history and have both... but I can't

Last edited:

Shotpun

Yeah. That was me just getting out of a pool and immediately being savaged from behind by a bear. Nice.

The bear lost.

I'm another level in and nobody told me about dinosaurs. I was feeling smug for discovering stuff quickly and then got eaten whole.

I'm liking the controls. The side jump is great and there's plenty of movement options. The climbing handstand is amazing and might even come in handy for a narrow ledge, maybe not, I don't mind. Controls can be a bit stiff at times but that kinda works in an odd way as it means fights get scrappy more like in real life. And sometimes you have to play dirty and shoot from a ledge. Adds a little vulnerability. And I like that the look around views actually match what Lara can see by moving her head rather than a completely free floating camera.

What I'm noticing coming to this nearly 23 years later, wow, 23 years. I'm noticing what's not there compared to a lot of other games and modern gaming. There's no HUD or info popping up on screen. Your health only appears during combat. No waypoints. No map, you get a darn compass in the inventory which feels like a joke. There's no other people so far. There's hardly any sound, then those patches of music that really stand out. No quick saving. I'm tense when I haven't found a save point for a while.

It's good.

Glad to hear that! In case you feel like checking out the sequels at some pont once you are done with the first one, here is a quick summary:

Tomb Raider II:
Great game, though clearly more actiony than the first one. Levels and environments are different enough to give the game its own unique feeling and it feels like a proper sequel. Highly recommended.

Tomb Raider III:
Not so great game, pretty mediocre actually. Levels aren't as good as in the previous two and the game as a whole is just a flatter experience. Also, Area 51 and a UFO, alrighty then. It's not a bad game, I wouldn't recommend skipping it without trying it first, but it can't compete with the first two.

Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation:
I actually still haven't played this or the last one, by the time this came out I already had my fill of TR for a while. But generally people have seemed to like it, some have even called it the best in the series. I have my doubts of that, but in all likelihood it's worth playing and I intent to check it out at some point.

Tomb Raider Chronicles:
General consensus has been overwhelmingly a strong "meh", signs of a low effort cash grab attempt before the change of console generation are clear.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
PSone made me a JRPG fan (well actually, the SNES did but PSone strengthened it).

Last week I've played and completed Tales of Destiny, now I'm progressing through Brave Fencer Musashi.

I'm trying to complete 95% of the Squaresoft PSone RPGs (Dunno if I'll try out SaGa Frontier 2, heard it was weird and hard. I'm not a Tactics fan so FFT is out of the question).

Other games I plan on completing:
- Tales of Phantasia
- Tales of Destiny II (Tales of Eternia)
- Lunar 2: Eternal Blue
- Thousand Arms

Last edited:
Top Bottom