• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 1 |OT| The Original: Codename PSX

Domisto

ps1-logo.png

Say hello again to the PSX. The original PlayStation. This is the place to talk about the console, the games, the scene, the peripherals, everything and anything related to the PSX.

When did you get a PSX?
What was your first game? What is your favourite game?
Ever lay your hands on the light guns?
Did you use Music 2000?
Or have you still never owned one?

The PlayStation was first released on 3rd December 1994 in Japan. Then in both North America and Europe during September 1995. Starting in July 2000 a new, smaller model, the PS One was released. Worldwide unit sales of the PlayStation are estimated at 102.49 million. Production was discontinued in 2006.

If you want to get into PSX gaming these are your most authentic hardware options. Available from good second hand stores and attics.

ps1-x2.jpg

Other Ways to Play

The PS2 is backwards compatible with almost all PSX games. There are some compatibility issues with specific games on different PS2 models. More info here. On the PS3, PSX games are compatible to varying degrees (less so than the PS2). More info here. Note that PSX discs are region locked.

Handheld consoles the PlayStation Portable (PSP) and the PlayStation Vita are able to play PSX games by using the remote play feature while the disc is in the PlayStation 3.

You can also buy PS One Classics through the PlayStation online store. They can be played on the PS3, PSP, Vita, and the PlayStation TV micro-console. A list of available PS One Classics by region can be found here.

December 2018 saw the release of the miniature PlayStation Classic console containing 20 preloaded games. It has received mixed reviews which you can watch and read here.

Emulation options continue to advance but as they are unofficial I'll leave it for you to discover and discuss.

Info dump complete.

Let's Get To The Good Stuff!

crash-480.gif
cvania-480.gif

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Are You Ready For The Games?

To start... a short list of notable games, some exclusive, some just very popular. Are you outraged at what's been missed? Tell us your recommendations and why.

Ape Escape, Bloody Roar II, Brave Fencer Musashi, Breath of Fire III, Bushido Blade, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Chrono Cross, Crash Bandicoot: Warped, Crash Team Racing, Destruction Derby Raw, Dino Crisis 2, Driver, Einhänder, Fear Effect, Final Fantasy IX, Frogger, G-Darius, Gran Turismo, ISS Pro Evolution 2, Klonoa: Door to Phantomile, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, The Legend of Dragoon, Legend of Legaia, MediEvil, Metal Gear Solid, Need for Speed: High Stakes, NFL GameDay, PaRappa the Rapper, Parasite Eve, Pepsiman, Rayman, Resident Evil 2, Ridge Racer, Silent Hill, Spider-Man, Spyro: Year of the Dragon, Syphon Filter, Tekken 3, Tenchu 2: Birth of the Stealth Assassins, Thunder Force V, Tomb Raider, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2, Twisted Metal 2, Vagrant Story, WWF SmackDown! 2: Know Your Role, Xenogears.

psx-games-1.png
psx-games-3.png
psx-games-2.png

Want more? Here's what the critics say...

How about something a little different...

And if that's not enough for you, this video series briefly showcases every North American PSX release in glorious 4:3 ratio. That's 1,284 titles. Here's part 1 to get you started...

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Still regret trading in my Saturn + games Panzer Dragoon Saga included to get this thing.

D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
Nice to see such a positive first reply there....

Very nice thread. To contribute something to it:

When did you get a PSX? - A couple years after it first came out.
What was your first game? - Final Fantasy VII
What is your favourite game? - Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2.
Ever lay your hands on the light guns? - Not really.
Did you use Music 2000? - No idea what that means...

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I remember arguing on here in days gone by that the original official abbreviation for PlayStation was PSX. People actually disputed this. It was hilarious.

It’s great that the adults are back now. So warm and fuzzy.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
'Twas the era of forgotten fighting games, puzzle games, and shmups.

Two of my all-time favorite puzzle games were on PS1.

Money Puzzle Exchanger:

And Landmaker (released as Builder's Block):

First game I ever played on the PlayStation was Battle Arena Toshinden.

Suikoden II is still my favorite RPG on the system. I'm grateful it doggedly stuck to 2D (which has aged like wine) instead of jumping on the 3D bandwagon of the time.

Shmups were not as prolific as they were on Saturn, but there are some unmissable gems: G-Darius, Gradius Gaiden, Einhander, Raiden DX, R-Type Delta, the better port of In the Hunt, X-Multiply, and a ton of other ports and compilations.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I just finished “updating” my PSX Classic and got to play with it a bit today. So many memories.

KOMANI

KOMANI
I thought that “psx” referred to another model of the first playstation. Doing some research I found that the ps2 was also mentioned as “psx” too. I’ve always loved the psx acronym (moreso than the psOne) but it’s use always confused me.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I thought that “psx” referred to another model of the first playstation. Doing some research I found that the ps2 was also mentioned as “psx” too. I’ve always loved the psx acronym (moreso than the psOne) but it’s use always confused me.
PSX was the original console's code name (like Dreamcast's Whitebelt, Dural or Katana, GameCube's Dolphin, Wii's Revolution) so lots of people knew it like that and the acronym being so similar to just PS also stuck well enough. PSX as a released product was an obscure Japan-only Sony digital video recorder with an integrated PS2 console so as an acronym it was never used for the PS2 as a whole as far as I know.

Last edited:

Three

PS-X was the codename for the PlayStation. It caught on though and was used by others. Much like Dolphin was the codename for game cube. Officially the name is playstation or PS One. PSX was actually a premium PS2 with TV pass through, tuners and recording.

KOMANI

KOMANI
PSX was its code name so lots of people knew it like that and the acronym stuck.

PSX as a released product was an obscure in comparison Sony digital video recorder with an integrated PS2 console so as an acronym it was never used for PS2 as a whole.
Yeah, i know. I always knew it as the psx too but that came after
PS-X was the codename for the PlayStation. It caught on though and was used by others. Much like Dolphin was the codename for game cube. Officially the name is playstation or PS One. PSX was actually a premium PS2 with TV pass through, tuners and recording.
see, now the psOne is also a tricky name because the branding refers to the “slimmer” model of the playstation 1.

Regardless, I’ve always liked the “psx” acronym. It’s come to mean a few different things over the decades, and I do associate it with the ps1.

Domisto

Did you use Music 2000? - No idea what that means...
It's music creation software. In uni I made a short film with friends and one them used it to make some super cheesy 70s style music. Did a nice job. I used to play about with it a lot but never made anything good.

Found this

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Here's a weird game, one of the few PS1 games I own:

Dezaemon Plus. This was a shmup creator. I guess these sort of things were popular back then, what with Mario Music, RPG Maker, and other 'Makers' coming out during that era. There are a few shmups included on the disc to inspire you. You could create music, draw your own sprites, customize enemy behavior, etc.

Anyway, the game came with a thick manual to explain all the tools. The case was wider to accommodate.

s-l1000.jpg

JORMBO

Darkness no more
A lot of my favorite franchises like Tomb Raider and Resident Evil started here. It was also a great time for JRPGs and Squaresoft was pumping out several quality titles every year. I miss those days.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Never heard of that before. Shmup Construction kits were popular on home computers but I'd never have expected one for PSX. It must take ages to use. So, where's the DunDunDunMup?
Heh. I'm a player, not a maker.

But if I dipped my toes into it, I'd use SHMUP Creator. Much more powerful toolset and it comes with the added convenience of not needing to understand Japanese. :messenger_beaming:

I admit that I am a sucker for curios from the old systems. For instance, SNES has some really neat Japan-only mouse games like Wonder Project J and Mario & Wario that are nifty.

But since this is a PS1 thread I will add another weird one that many people have likely heard of:

It's in the same vein as Pokemon and Digimon. Nothing too special. However, the way you could add new monsters to your collection was to spin up a CD on the Playstation. That was really novel. Since the game put a lot more focus on raising and breeding monsters (instead of simply "catching them all" and beating the Elite Four), this mechanic was use a lot and it made for an interesting experience.

Grinchy

Banned
I didn't get huge Christmas and Birthday gifts for the most part, but I somehow convinced my parents to get me a PS1 for a birthday and a N64 for Christmas. It was unexpected and I felt lucky as hell to have both as a teen.

Seeing them side-by-side connected to my little 14'' TV in my tiny room was great and I didn't have to miss out on any of the great games from that generation as long as 10+ hours of my $5/hour job went to buying each.

PS one is kawaii as fuck.

I was living in Asia during that console gen and PS1 really was a huge deal there. Go to an open market and you'd see (pirated) games being sold alongside eggs and veggies. They were priced according to how many discs the game is with each disc being $1. There were a few legitimate copies but for some reason they also priced them by disc, I remember looking at a greatest hits copy of FFIX and the guy wanted the equivalent of $40 for it. I laughed.

TLZ

Banned
Remember upgrading from Genesis to the PS1. What a time.
Same here. At the time it blew me away and thought everything I played looked real. Lol.

Also it played my audio CDs. The sound was so clean. I could pick the track I want with the press of a button, instead of going back and forth with my Sony walkman. It felt so futuristic.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
Still regret trading in my Saturn + games Panzer Dragoon Saga included to get this thing.

I found someone naiive enough to buy mine for a hefty price. Got me the PSX that same year with Diablo and DD ... sorry but the Saturn simply could never compete with the celestial PSX that hit the industry.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
One of my first own consoles when i got in 1997 at age 7 or so. It still works flawlessly over two decades later.

Quake 2 PSX is my savior.

*Nightwing

Got mine when the dualshock launched and the price dropped on the system, so must've been 1998. Loved the games on it, especially all the jrpg's. I recall quite well spending tons of hours playing cool boarders on a demo disk that came with the system, and it was fun enough for me I never actually bought the full game. Traded it in when the PSOne with the mobile screen and battery pack (sold separately) had flopped and was on clearance, and it and all my memory cards still work to this day, but I have an OG fat ps3, so it sits in a closet and I use my ps3 for my PSX gaming needs now. Last game I played for it was Grandia a 2 months back. The PSX is close in an undecided race for my favorite console of all time.

TwiztidElf

I'm pretty sure I was among the first people to own one in Australia.
I had an import Japanese one in December 1994 with just Ridge Racer.
Cost me over A$1000 to get my hands on it.
It was worth it though. Played the shit out of RR, and then Tohshinden when I got it.

J-Roderton

Same here. At the time it blew me away and thought everything I played looked real. Lol.

Also it played my audio CDs. The sound was so clean. I could pick the track I want with the press of a button, instead of going back and forth with my Sony walkman. It felt so futuristic.

That CD player feature was one of the most advanced things I'd seen on my television screen. ha.

Impotaku

Have many happy memories of ps1 i actually didn't buy my first machine as i won it in a DDR contest up until that point i had only ever played the arcade version but when computer exchange opened up in leeds there was a DDR dance competition they had a stealth chipped ps1 and a japanese copy of the first DDR game with the dance mat. The 10 highest scores of the day came back later to have a battle i managed to scrape in 10th. Because i was last i got to pick the song and go first, they ramped it upto hard so i picked the only song i knew how to do in hard which was butterfly, with easily 100 people watching in the street i managed to get nearly all the way through before i failed but thankfully nobody else could even get close to the point i reached so i won & walked away with the ps1 we had all been playing on along with the dancemat and the game thus began my love of weird & quirky Japanese playstation games.

The library was full of strange & wonderful titles it really was a great time. So many over the years, parappa, bust a move, unjammer lammy, mr domino, incredible crisis, vib ribbon, geppy x, ore no ryouri, suzuki bakuhatsu plus loads more. Became addicted to bemani games before the west milked the shit out of them and ruined it for everyone by pretty much killing the genre.

While i have newer & more powerful consoles now i still have a teeny tiny psone to play my amassed collection, it's small collection but full of all my fave weird games.
dYv9C4K.png

g4h8fEP.png

Is this like a mini ps3? Surprised to see the XMB on there.

This was released only in Japan and was actually a PS2. So thats how early the design for XMB was planned out. Its like a dvr recorder and a PS2, but it failed commercially so I guess they used its menue system 4 years later because nobody bought the machine. Still one of my favorite menues.

Never owned one. I was a die-hard Nintendo fan back in the day. To this day, I still prefer the N64 over the OG PS. I didn't become a PlayStation fan until the launch of the PS2 when I began to lose interest and faith in Nintendo.

Despite that, I did enjoy a few games. Namely, Crash Bandicoot, Vagrant Story, Legend of the Dragon, Spyro, Twisted Metal, and a few others.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Got mine about a year or so after launch used. First games I got were I think.... RE, Formula 1, Tomb Raider, Destruction Derby 2.

Loved F1.

TFGB

Memories.

My mates and I would spend many a weekend with International Track & Field and a Multitap. Huge fun.

1200px-PlayStation-Multitap-Adaptor.jpg

I knew a lad called Justin Calvert (who went on to become Editor at Gamespot) in my year at school and he worked in the tiny gaming shop in our town. The shop set up a PS1 Tekken competition that my mates and I took part in for a laugh. I got quite far with Paul Phoenix lol.

They were the days. *sighs*

It's music creation software. In uni I made a short film with friends and one them used it to make some super cheesy 70s style music. Did a nice job. I used to play about with it a lot but never made anything good.

Found this

This was my only exposure to something like that:

Should be interesting seeing what people come up with for Dreams.

nowhat

I (or rather "we", the three siblings of us) got a PSX towards the end of its life cycle. It came with two games, Tekken 3 and Crash Bandicoot Warped.

...and honestly, those two games lasted aplenty. Crash was good and all, but Tekken - so many hours were spent with that one, and I really like that I can pick up a Tekken game nowadays and still know what I'm doing. Mapping the buttons to left/right fist/leg is just ingenious.

Domisto

The new year is well underway and I plan to make it a very playstationy one. That was my reason for starting this OT.

A bit over a year ago I was doing a spring clean and came across my PSX which had been in a cupboard since 2002. Was seriously thinking of selling it. So I had to test it still works, and then I had to test all the games. It wasn't long till I knew there was no way I was parting with it. I picked up from my old save of Destruction Derby Raw and completed it. Tried out Grand Theft Auto for a couple of nights and had to abandon it, so hard, can't deal with the directional controls. Went through a bunch of other stuff.

I did sell some of the games but have ended up buying more. Also bought a scart lead and old DVR to capture footage. Just for my own enjoyment, to muck about with, shitpost, maybe make a gif or two.

So I'll be playing some 'new' PSX games in 2019. For starters, I've never played a Tomb Raider game and now have the original waiting for me. Off to do that now.

If anyone's got spoiler free Tomb Raider tips, fire away pls.

Airola

First of all, I love people who still use the term PSX instead of going all "PSX WAS A DIFFERENT MACHINE" on people!

And here are some answer to the questions:

When did you get a PSX?
1996. The first console I bought with my own money.

What was your first game? What is your favourite game?
I ordered Ridge Racer Revolution along with the system.
I'm not sure though if I played that first or Demo 1 that came with the console (loved Jumping Flash on that!)
Both Resident Evil 1 & 2 might be my favorites, but Twisted Metal 2 definitely got the most playing time from me.
That game was the first one I ever played over 8 hours uninterrupted. Had a blast with a friend.

Ever lay your hands on the light guns?
I bought a 3rd party light gun from a flea market like maybe in 2008 and didn't even get it to work.

Did you use Music 2000?
No.

I'm still kinda salty that when the console's lens stopped working (I was able to fight against it for quite a while by having the console upside down) and I sent it to be fixed I didn't get a fixed machine back but a newer model. I know it probably was for the best since those didn't break as easily but now my Playstation box doesn't match with the console I own, and the console I own is not the exact same I bought :messenger_sad_relieved::messenger_sad_relieved::messenger_sad_relieved:

Listened to MANOWAR a lot with its capability to play CDs. Had some fun listening with the stadium and church sound settings. That was the future back then and that was amazing.
And learned pretty quickly that I can put Ridge Racer Revolution on a CD player and listen to the songs in it (the first track was just noise but I'm glad I tried skipping tracks - was really surprised to hear the songs that way!)

Last edited:

HarryKS

Greatest of them all. Somehow underrated. Particularly in North America.

That Metacritic video is so odd. Many more of those, by today's standards would be in 90s very easily. Also missing Hogs of War.

Last edited:

baphomet

Got mine on launch in September 95 along with Mortal Kombat 3 and Tekken.

It was pretty goddamn mind-blowing at the time.

Orta

Banned
Mixed feeling over the Playstation. I was Sega through and through and hated the fact Sony came in and swept the carpet from under Sega's admittedley wobbly feet. And as for the cocky Playstation press and fanboys, man I couldn't stand them.

Writing was on the wall however and I bought mine in 97 and I guess it must be said, Tomb Raider, Doom, MGS & RE gave me some of the best gaming memories I've had. I rarely admitted that though, anyone asked and I staunchly defended the Saturn to the hilt.

Same thing happened a few years later with the DC and PS2, saying that as far as I'm concerned the DC wiped the floor with Sony's evil follow-up.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Fun Fact:
I asked for a Sega Saturn for Christmas.
But my Dad in his ultimate wisdom decided to get me a Sony Playstation instead.
Good Call Pops.

Shotpun

If anyone's got spoiler free Tomb Raider tips, fire away pls.

X + R1 + D-pad up for handstand when climbing up ledges.
R1 + Square + D-pad up for swan dive. Don't do it on solid ground, if you land on lower ground you'll break your neck.

Enjoy the ride, it's one of my all time favorites.

Top Bottom