• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Play Totk now or wait instead?

Spyxos

Gold Member
I really want to play Totk, but I have 3 open world games behind me. RDR2, Burning Shores Dlc and I'm almost done with Jedi Survivor. With Jedi Survivor I was a bit annoyed by the huge world after 30 hours.

Now to my problem. I'm concerned that if I start Totk now, I'll drop it. It seems to be a very big game again, just like the predecessor. So should I play it now or play it later?

Robb

Gold Member
It never hurts to wait, maybe there’s a next gen version hiding over at Nintendo that’ll launch in 2024.

But yeah….
Season 10 Finale GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

I’ve been playing loads and feel like I’ve barely scratched the surface. It can feel very overwhelming, especially if you have other very big games to play.

BlackTron

Hahaha all those other games are just time killers while waiting for Zelda to come out. Maybe you just want to enjoy some other titles before it completely ruins them all.

Wooxsvan

i had no plans to get it but reviews just did me in. im enjoying it decently but i only own a switch lite and really wish i could play w/ a full size controller and larger screen

BlackTron

Getting real tired of these weak willed full grown adult humans crumbling to FOMO.

Either get it now if you're willing to put the hours in or wait 6 months and enjoy it when the hype is dead.

God thank you...there is another option...start the game and if you keep playing great, if you stop and pick it up again later fine.

The risk of giving the game a break after the honeymoon period is not some huge deal that demands a careful decision. Maybe you will hit your 500 hour limit on open world games 50 hours into TOTK and play a few FPS games...who god damn knows and who cares

I’m gonna wait; probably will ask the wife for it for my birthday or Christmas. Probably Christmas. Got other stuff I rather play now and near my birthday I’ll either have Armored Core or Starfield to sink what little time I’ll have into.

It’s not like it’s going back in the Nintendo vault like Mario 3D all stars or anything. I’m sure there’ll be physical copies to buy for years to come.

BlackTron

i had no plans to get it but reviews just did me in. im enjoying it decently but i only own a switch lite and really wish i could play w/ a full size controller and larger screen

Man sorry that is your experience for this game, sounds horrible. At the same time it's hard to recommend a new Switch right now. Just really pricey for how old it is and how close we are to a new one. I've been thinking of grabbing an extra used Switch for family so I've been looking, can be had for under $200 if you look carefully. Of course, you would also have to worry about the pro controller...

Trilobit

I really want to play Totk, but I have 3 open world games behind me. RDR2, Burning Shores Dlc and I'm almost done with Jedi Survivor. With Jedi Survivor I was a bit annoyed by the huge world after 30 hours.

Now to my problem. I'm concerned that if I start Totk now, I'll drop it. It seems to be a very big game again, just like the predecessor. So should I play it now or play it later?

Play it later. I don't like playing one open world game after another. Find something more linear until you feel ready and have the right mindset to jump into the world of TotK.

zcaa0g

Banned
Physical or digital?

Bring back DriveClub!

Which perspective was better? GoW 1 through 4 or GoW 2018/Ragnarok?

Bring back MotorStorm!

Should Souls like games have difficulty levels?

I have issues and can't decide what I should play.

The horses are dead, Jim. All of them!

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
God thank you...there is another option...start the game and if you keep playing great, if you stop and pick it up again later fine.

The risk of giving the game a break after the honeymoon period is not some huge deal that demands a careful decision. Maybe you will hit your 500 hour limit on open world games 50 hours into TOTK and play a few FPS games...who god damn knows and who cares
I'm not gonna fight or be a savage about it but... Is paying $70 for something you're gonna play for a bit then put to the side really a worthwhile investment?

AJUMP23

Gold Member
If it wasn't Nintendo I would say wait for a sale, but their games are rarely on sale. I looked at BotW last week and it was $60.

Impotaku

If it wasn't Nintendo I would say wait for a sale, but their games are rarely on sale. I looked at BotW last week and it was $60.
best to shop around i picked up the jpn vesion for £43 and it was the one with all the expansion pass stuff built in to the cart so there are cheaper copies out there plus the whole thing is multi language anyway so no language barrier.

Fabieter

Do you have something else preordered in the new future?

Spyxos

Gold Member
Do you think you can finish it before d4 without rushing it, if the answer is no than I would probably wait.
I forgot to mention that in Op, that I basically have 2 weeks until the next timesink is here with Diablo4. 2 weeks would be very tight. And from then on it will probably be less fun. If I force myself to play through it quickly.

Last edited:

Fabieter

I forgot to mention that in Op, that I basically have 2 weeks until the next timesink is here with Diablo4. 2 weeks would be very tight. And from then on it will probably be less fun. If I force myself to play through it quickly.

Yea not worth it. Personally I often rotating between games but imo it shouldn't be the same size and the same genre.

Red Dead Redemption 2 destroys Zelda

BlackTron

I'm not gonna fight or be a savage about it but... Is paying $70 for something you're gonna play for a bit then put to the side really a worthwhile investment?
If you are not going back to the game for a very long time, then no not really it isn't.

But if you do play it, you're gonna buy it either way. It's not like Nintendo games have a reputation for price drops, or that the interest you could have earned on $70 makes it a critical choice.

Madflavor

I'm waiting for the Holidays this year. Game looks good, but it's probably gonna take me hundreds of hours and I'd rather get through other upcoming games first.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’m ignoring a lot of online stuff about the game. The internet doesn’t care if they spoil something that would have been better off experienced by you, the player. Every time I boot up TotK I feel like I’m setting off on an adventure. BotW did that at times, but TotK is taking it to the next level. Maybe because it’s new? A big part are the slight changes in things that I found acceptable, but was mildly irritated by in BotW. Im enjoying the aesthetics a lot more.

TotK is making me feel like this and this is the Zelda I want to play.

7-BD2-AB1-A-1-A41-4-B95-8535-7-CA9-B706993-B2020-04-23-10-07-42-295.jpg

amigastar

I’m ignoring a lot of online stuff about the game. The internet doesn’t care if they spoil something that would have been better off experienced by you, the player. Every time I boot up TotK I feel like I’m setting off on an adventure. BotW did that at times, but TotK is taking it to the next level. Maybe because it’s new? A big part are the slight changes in things that I found acceptable, but was mildly irritated by in BotW. Im enjoying the aesthetics a lot more.

TotK is making me feel like this and this is the Zelda I want to play.

7-BD2-AB1-A-1-A41-4-B95-8535-7-CA9-B706993-B2020-04-23-10-07-42-295.jpg
Yeah, those old 90's Zelda comic drawings are really inspiring.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent

Are you enticed by Diablo 4 or final fantasy 16 next month ?

If so hold off TOTK unless you plan to bum rush it before June 2nd.

If you aren’t going to play either then jump in and get swept away.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I already bought TotK and planing to buy FFXVI, I dont think I'm going to able finish TotK before FFXVI but that okay, I'm going jumping between the two.

Top Bottom