• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jedi Survivor is the best SW game so far

makaveli60

Ever since Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy, which were my previous favorite SW games, I was waiting for a similar Jedi game, in a more modern rendition. The two Force Unleashed games weren’t bad but they were sort of mediocre in some ways.

Then came Jedi Fallen Order in 2019 and I felt that this was almost the game I was waiting for, I liked it a lot. It had everything but I felt it was only just the beginning of better things to come.

And now I finally have it. The modern jedi knight game I was waiting for, that has everything Jedi Fallen Order had but in a better form.

Being the graphics whore I am, let me start with the visuals. This is one of the very, very few games for which I can say that, “yes, this looks next (current) gen”. I know it got a lot of flak for technical issues but I don’t care what pc problems there are, it looks breathtaking in quality mode on ps5, often feeling like playing a cg movie (I love the motion blur in it!).
Edit: I almost forgot, the animations! Outstanding animations, that help achieve this cg movie feeling.

The sounds are awesome, exactly as you‘d expect from a SW game, and the music is beautiful. Thankfully, the tone is also similar to the movies, not too serious, not too comedic, it strikes a good balance IMO.
I love the progression, that only such handcrafted single player experiences can provide. No ”roguelike” and “open world” bullshit in here, but pure handcrafted joyness. For me, both the traversing and the combat sequences are a joy to play.

TLDR, if you like Star Wars, especially the Jedi Knight games and you are on the fence, go buy it and play it, you won’t regret it. Can’t wait for the sequel!

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
God knows what they'll do with a part 3 (if there is one)

With Stig now absent from Respawn I dont really trust anyone else taking the reins.

Survivor was excellent. Some real badass moments towards the end.

S9piIeJ.jpg

Last edited:

GymWolf

I got bored 3\4 of the way tbh (disney destroying any love i had for the brand didn't helped)

I think the first one was better paced.

I still take jedi academy over it.

Last edited:

Sethbacca

I've been picking at it since BF when I have time and it feels like a nice evolution of Fallen Order so far. If you didn't like the first though, this one won't change your mind for sure.

MiguelItUp

It's a shame the game had such performance issues for so many people, it's a great game, and until we get a new Jedi Knight (if we ever do) this is as close as it gets.

I still love the Jedi Knight series more than anything else. Even if just for the multiplayer alone. DF:JK had a great campaign, as did Outcast, Academy was eh, but the multiplayer was still great. All of the multiplayers were incredibly strong, and did things that no other game did IMO. I'd love to get a modern version of that experience with a new and updated engine. It's insane to me that we haven't yet.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Nah, for what it offered, JK: Academy still remains the king.

Jedi Survivor is an amazing single-player game, and that's it.

If you ever played JK: Academy competitive or Moviebattles mode, you know what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Nah, for what it offered, JK: Academy still remains the king.

Jedi Survivor is an amazing single-player game, and that's it.

If you ever played JK: Academy competitive or Moviebattles mode, you know what I'm talking about.
Of course. Not to mention Academy has guns, race selection(Twi'lek > Any other race) and superior Lightsaber combat and doesn't necessary commit to animation lock as well as making Lightsabers dangerous.

And no Dark Souls typical systems to inhibit you either.

Last edited:

Strider311

I liked Fallen Order quite a bit and was excited for Survivor, but my performance was shit. With my specs I should not have the issues I was having, so I’ve been waiting for patches to iron out the kinks. Might be time to check in again.

Skifi28

It could have been, but the combat really let it down. The people that designed the enemy encounters didn't seem to communicate with those that designed the combat so you had DMC style fights with multiple enemies attacking all at once while your character only knew how to fight in souls style. It was really fucking annoying, you had to commit to really lengthy animations with no canceling while the enemies were dancing around you and attacking all at once interrupting you while they had infinite poise. Just bizzare.

Last edited:
Nope, not possible. Jedi fallen order was a very poor game. If it wasn't Star Wars themed, I'd score it 5/10. If survivor is more of the same, it can never be the best star wars game.

Fallen Order was the better game. If only due to its relative simplicity and more engaging story.

Survivor literally went nowhere. A game with strange systems like gardening that added nothing. Boring collectibles such as colour palettes for each separate customisable item. An uninteresting story with uninteresting antagonist with an unsatisfying and pointless twist. I played the game on the hard difficulty mode and it wasn’t balanced very well at all. The inability to cancel attack animations was frustrating; only the dual lightsabers were viable against the tougher bosses (only weapon where you can interrupt attack animations to block). Areas are massive and require a lot of backtracking as you learn new abilities. The map was absolute trash in comparison to Fallen Order… really, it was a huge downgrade. There were of course highs, some fun bosses such as Rayvis (final fight), Empire drill and Vader. Interesting interactions and a few interesting characters I.e. Caij and Skoda Stev. The environmental puzzles were also improved over the first game. Bode final boss was frustrating, I had to complete an almost perfect run in order to defeat him.

The biggest fault is really where the series goes from here. It couldn't have done a worse job of leaving things in a compelling position for the next game. As for the best SW game, that is clearly KOTOR and it’s not even close. It truly was a crime that the remake was shelved.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
possibly, but I have ZERO interest in playing anymore after I beat it and I rushed through alot of areas just to get to the end. Take that as you will.

Last edited:
I loved fallen order, but for some reason I’m not super into survivor. I don’t like the characters and the writing and the space witch magic. I dunno. Maybe just me.

Majormaxxx

My most replayed sw games were Jedi Outcast, Starfighter and Republic Commando.

One playthrough faves - x Wing alliance, Jedi starfighter, Jedi fallen order.

Forgot the two kotor games. On pc with added wide-screen plus restored content. Those games were like crack.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
If you have this on PC and have an nvidia GPU, just make damn sure that you get the latest Frame Gen and DLSS .dll file. The one that comes with the update is AWFUL and the game ghosts like no other. Just awful.

The new looks amazing.

RAIDEN1

The planetary backtracking and environmental puzzles turned this game into an absolute slog.
When I see that, this reminds me that by not purchasing it was not a bad decision, I've yet to get into Force Unleashed 1 let alone 2 all these years later.... if they made a Star Wars game along the lines of Mass Effect 1-3, or Uncharted, then I would probably consider it.....any hope of getting a Star Wars game akin to Fate of Atlantis, that ship has long since flown by.....(a HUGE oversight by LucasArts )

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Quite a few good Star Wars games IMO in different categories.

Flight Simulator - TIE Fighter
RPG - KOTOR 1 and 2
Action - Jedi Academy
1st/3rd Person Shooter - Battlefront 2 either version heavily leaning towards 2005 version
FPS - Republic Commando

Kind of hard to choose a best Star Wars game when you have KOTOR 2, Jedi Academy and Battlefront 2 to consider IMO.

Top Bottom