• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phillip W. Spencer III spent 917 hours playing Xbox games this year (Top: Starfield 148h)

NEbeast

Yeah like he did with the 900 hours of gaming and the 380 achievements unlocked themselves.

Seriously yes he "lied" (how many people in his position have to lie ? And the truth of January 2020 won't be the same truth in July 2022 for exemple, plans change), but can you give the man a break ?

Honestly I am member on game since 17 years, and the site isn't by essence "pro Sony" since it's the members who are responsable of what they say, but yes a lot of people here just spend all of their free time shitting on Microsoft and the Xbox.

Whatever you think of Phil, we, here, are all gamers, we all love games and all of us have our own preferences, but in the end we are all gamers. What is doing Spencer here is praising gaming, who would be against that ? Since 2014 he is always like this, congratulating other companies for their success, praising this or that game, saying he is a gamer (maybe not a gamer who has 10hours daily to play but still a gamer) and now he is promoting gaming people find reasons to shit on him again ?

So basically whatever he does or Xbox/Microsoft does will be shit to you ? If Blade is an Xbox exclusive it's a shit game and Arkane a shit studio but if it's announced on PS5 it becomes a "I'm looking forward to it" game ? If that's not the definition fanboyism I dunno what it is...

PS : And that's me who spent almost half of the year banned (2 months by 2 months) because "console waring" ? I played 800 hours on Xbox, 900 on PS, also played on switch and I am console waring, but people shitting systematically on an Xbox / Phil Spencer related post are fine.
Phil ain't fucking you, calm down there.
Stand Up Reaction GIF by Xbox

GrayDock

Cool, I guess, but shouldn't he be running a company or something like that instead of playing for a 1000 hours?
Unless, of course, wasn't him that was playing...

Banjo64

cumsessed
Not really, I played 800+ hours (900 hours on PS5) and got about 300 achievements too, it is quite normal for a person who is not chasing achievements.

RpEYjMv.png
Still seems low to me. I suppose it would come down to whether you play single player games or the same multiplayer games I suppose.

Jadsey

If he really spent 148h watching loading screens in Starfield, he better be billing Microsoft for overtime.

It’s a poor game to be honest.

Last edited:

Metnut

What’s the point of being rich if you’re forced to play Starfield for 150 full hours? Definitely wouldn’t trade places with this poor dude.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Diablo #2 and PoE #3. Phil loves click looters!

170 / 1000 gamescore in Starfield doesn't seem much to me ... idle time?
Depends how SF's achievement pts are spread out. If someone sinks a lot of time into Bethesda RPGs beating the game in a linear way I dont think a gamer comes close to 1000 pts. You got to do tons of side quests and faction quests etc...

Maybe an age thing but I am shocked how many hours people are putting into their gaming. I am lucky to fit in a few hours a week between work and family.

But jesus christ, this guy is putting in 2 or 3 workdays of hours a week!

No wonder things are like they are at xbox. This guy is working part time at best. Is he running the show or acting as a fn play tester?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Spending more time playing games than doing his job.

Good on him but I suspect if he has kids, they use his account too. Or not.

Cool, I guess, but shouldn't he be running a company or something like that instead of playing for a 1000 hours?
He's probably putting way more than that in, actually. He probably plays a lot of prototypes off his own account. 1000 hours isn't even that much compared to people like Mike Ybarra at Blizzard. That dude is a machine.

MacReady13

but yes a lot of people here just spend all of their free time shitting on Microsoft and the Xbox
I can tell you why I shit on Phil and Xbox so much. I loved the original Xbox and 360 so much. For me to see them fall so drastically during the One era and not recover during this era (so far) is extremely disappointing, especially cause I still do game more on my series X over my PS5!

I'm an Xbox gamer and have been since the original, but their move to a sub service over traditional consoles then trying to justify WHY they are going this route is pathetic, in my opinion. Even the beginning of the Xbone started off fine games wise- Titanfall is brilliant. I loved Ryse and Dead Rising. Great 3rd party support when they seemed to care about console gaming. Now they're spreading themselves FAR too thin trying to please gamers?!? They end up pissing off the people who stuck by them the most.

I desperately want a strong Xbox back in the console space, but Phil seems to not want that anymore and it is a main factor into why I am super critical of him and the way the Xbox brand is being treated.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I might be wrong here, but I sense BS. How the hell the Xbox CEO can have that much free time to pay.
Usually just comes down to choices. Most people watch hours of TV a day. I watch zero mostly.

Most people here wouldnt have a problem with it if they played games instead of post here. You can also get large sessions in on weekends in you wake up early. I usually start at 6 or 7am on weekends.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Look, as someone that go promoted to manager in an IT company, on top of being a full time student, on top of working on many personal projects....I have strong fucking doubt on this one.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Assuming these numbers are actually him playing the games, this is actually great for gamers. Do you really want someone else in charge at xbox who doesn't play video games at all? I personally don't.

We want a person who at least understands what it's like to play a game for 50+ hours.
Gaf likes to throw him under the bus, but a lot of his actions towards development of games haven't been bad, even if results have been mixed.

SenkiDala

I can tell you why I shit on Phil and Xbox so much. I loved the original Xbox and 360 so much. For me to see them fall so drastically during the One era and not recover during this era (so far) is extremely disappointing, especially cause I still do game more on my series X over my PS5!

I'm an Xbox gamer and have been since the original, but their move to a sub service over traditional consoles then trying to justify WHY they are going this route is pathetic, in my opinion. Even the beginning of the Xbone started off fine games wise- Titanfall is brilliant. I loved Ryse and Dead Rising. Great 3rd party support when they seemed to care about console gaming. Now they're spreading themselves FAR too thin trying to please gamers?!? They end up pissing off the people who stuck by them the most.

I desperately want a strong Xbox back in the console space, but Phil seems to not want that anymore and it is a main factor into why I am super critical of him and the way the Xbox brand is being treated.
I appreciate your answer my friend and I mostly agree.

I don't really like Phil and I would like the return of Ed Fries and J Allard. I am also a huge fan of the OG Xbox that I got on day one and loved so much, same for the 360 and I agree with the One, gamewise it was pretty ok on day one and Dead Rising 3 is my favorite of the series. I also agree that they push the GamePass too much.

I think they do this because they feel "we tried all we could be we're fucked we can't beat PlayStation" so they try to be different, to not do the same than PS, because in frontal fight they always lost.

I prefer the approach of Sony and Nintendo since the One era for sure, but I feel that people exaggerate. Not liking the orientation they're taking ok sure, and I'm upset at them pretty often (again I was against the acquisition of ABK). But I'm talking about people who automatically shit on something for the sole reason that it is from Xbox, to a point that if you show them a trailer and tell them "it's a PS exclusive" they're on fire, if you tell them "it's a multiplat game" they're looking forward to see the final game, and if you tell them "it's a Xbox exclusive" then they'll tell you it looks like shit, not interesting, not attractive, etc. It's that, that I hate, pure fanboyism.

At the end even if I hate most of the decisions of Spencer, what I focus on is the games, I am looking forward to play STALKER 2, Blade, Fable, Perfect Dark, Avowed, Hellblade 2. That's all that should matter.

And about the thread, the fact the Phil is a real gamer, well I dunno, my opinion is that it's true, but at the end of course I dunno, I don't know him, nobody here knows him, as I dunno Shuhei Yoshida, Miyamoto, Aonuma, Kutaragi, Kojima, Molyneux, etc etc, we dunno those persons, wether they're execs or creators.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I thought CEO supposed to be busy and flying around and attend business meetings and such

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Damn there’s a lot of cynicism in here. Cool that he shared stats, I bet it’s similar to my amount of game time throughout the year.

I wish I had more time to play through games. I know it’s my hobby and not my job anymore, but man… getting old really sucks away your free time.

Anyway, it’d be cool to see other industry leaders post stuff like this. I’d kill to see what Miyamoto spent the most time playing this year. Or Jim Ryan, Gaben, Sakurai, Kojima, etc.

My only criticism is I wish there was an easy way to see how much time someone spent in games across all platforms instead of just one. It’d be cool to see the games that vibe with (and possibly influence) industry leaders.

Cool post, Xbox man.

Last edited:

Hero_Select

I get the feeling you and a majority of other people here would also still complain if the reverse were true.

Top Bottom