• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer confirms that some new future Bethesda titles will be Xbox and PC exclusive

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I guess some would say it's no different to the Sony threads which get overrun with fanboys and all kinds of FUD.. I mean have you seen a BC thread lately when Xbox wins? Or the discussions about RDNA2.

Par for the course around here.

It's not worth getting emotional about it though.
Show me said threads so i can put people on ignore.
If Xbox threads are full of SonyGAF and Sony threads are full of XboxGAF then who is actually playing the games?

Fredrik

Funny, it's not like these games wouldn't have been released on Xbox anyway.

So atm, nothing has changed. The only thing that has changed is that these games will be on GP.
I don’t know, they they confirm that? I don’t think they did. We literally don’t know shit.

I guess we know Xbox will always have the better versions at least. Maybe, unless they crank up the resolution too far and add framedrops instead.

Omni_Manhatten

Neo Member
Sounds like Bethesda will be allowed to clear out the work that’s been started for the PlayStation and other platforms before having to focus on Gamepass as a future exclusive platform. The Phil Hines quote saying no announcement of changes “for now” leads to be believe they will make changes down the road . They also emphasized they know their future is Gamepass so that lets me know how they are thinking moving forward.

They just released not one but two next gen consoles. I hate to be rude to you since I respect you as a poster, but this is a ridiculous thing to say.

Gamepass will never be on Playstation so they cant get your business unless you buy their game and they get their 70% cut after Sony takes their 30% digital cut.
I know it seems like a hot take but I'm thinking longer term, with xCloud being widespread and people streaming games on their TVs and phones and shitty PCs. No need for a console and MS gets the entire cut.

BeardGawd

Banned
ucpQ6JF.jpg

PkkmpTj.gif

You aren't an industry-leading 1st party studio if you release your biggest games on competing consoles.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Wow, are you for real?

Why the fuck would they announce Starfield or TES6 exclusivity in a fucking blog post? They will do it on a live stage after a gameplay trailer for maximum effect. People expecting exclusivity for games in a blog post must be living on another planet.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. They will want to make a big deal about announcing a blockbuster like Starfield.

"World Premier, Console EXCLUSIVE and by that we mean it's never fucking coming to PlayStation; Starfield!!!

Neo_game

IMO it is good move if they want to make money. Once they decided to make games on PC day1 I thought it was a dumb move and bad for the Xbox brand. Not sure how much money they make from gamepass. Selling games even at 30$ can make lot of money. In future I think they will provide their games on all platforms, may be timed exclusive or some extra DLC, costumes etc will only be exclusive.

Concern

That's exactly what I'm thinking. They will want to make a big deal about announcing a blockbuster like Starfield.

"World Premier, Console EXCLUSIVE and by that we mean it's never fucking coming to PlayStation; Starfield!!!

mood boo GIF

Fanboy reactions to that would go something like this

dyergram

Well this proves that all the future games are Xbox exclusive but everything is still multi platform. Glad both sides of the argument can interpret these statements to mean whatever they like.

Fredrik

Big missed opportunity right here.

Imagine announcing the finalization of the sale with this big bang:

- Starfield Exclusive on XBox and PC
- Elder Scrolls 6 Exclusive on Xbox and PC
- Fallout 6 exclusive on Xbox and PC
- Doom 6 Exclusive on Xbox and PC

I mean that would convince millions to pick up an xbox over the ps5 in the crucial next few months as many hardcore gamers decide which console to get first.
Exactly! 👏👏👏

What are they afraid of? They just payed 7 billion dollars for something but can’t be confident enough to boast about it in a meaningful way?
Vagueness can be used to hide that a game is actually coming to other platforms at a later date, like Sony does it all the time, it’s clever. But it seems less clever to be vague about a game being exclusive.

Last edited:

GetemMa

Elder Scrolls, Fallout and Doom are insane franchises for Xbox to gain as exclusives. MS needed to do something radical and they did just that. I'd say the console sales race is wide open now. The hardware shortages combined with this development have kept that possibility open for MS. I still think PS5 sells more just because MS struggles in Europe.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I don't think its vague at all.

Do you think they are going to say Bethesda will be fully exclusive from now? They are still making Doom 3 PSVR, Ghostwire and Deathloop. And lord knows what else they have that was signed as multiplatform long ago (Indiana Jones?).
They simply could say something like, "Moving forward, all new unannounced games will be exclusive to Xbox/PC. In addition, the upcoming RPG Starfield will also be an Xbox/PC exclusive. We will talk about it more this E3."

It isn't that hard.

Exactly! 👏👏👏

What are they afraid of? They just payed 7 billion dollars for something but can’t be confident enough to boast about it in a meaningful way?
Vagueness can be used to hide that a game is actually coming to other platforms at a later date, like Sony does it all the time, it’s clever. But it’s seems less clever to be vague about a game being exclusive.
No need to do it in a blog post, especially when consoles are supply constrained anway. Just drop the bombs once gameplay trailers are ready. Way more hype.

Hunnybun

Please tell us how many AAA games from platform holders get announced in blog posts. This isn't an indie game. They won't commit to what is and isn't exclusive until trailers start dropping and only Xbox logos are visible at the end.

E3 is in a few months. Consoles are supply constrained anyways. I don't see why they would need to send some big message out now.

This way keeps people speculating until May/June.

I don't really care whether or not blog posts are a plausible means of announcing exclusivity.

The bigger point is that this announcement is very vague and nothing can be decisively gleaned from it. If we're going to speculate based on the words used, I think that "some" tends to imply "the minority". I think that's how the term is usually used. You wouldn't tend to use "some" where "most" would apply. At least not unless you were deliberately trying to underplay the significance of some quantity.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Can’t imagine owning a next gen system and not having Bethesda games. Feel sorry for you team blue guys, it’s better in the middle.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Sony fans may get to experience the joy of PC video card prices soon.

If they release an exclusive that I want to play, would happily upgrade my PC for the full experience. But buying Xbox Series X is just much cheaper and smarter if you are on a budget, unless you need that PC for other work.

Bridges

The Laurel / Yanny of PR statements

Everybody seems to be getting out of this whatever they were hoping to be the case.

At least we can put to bed the (ridiculous) idea that none of their titles will be exclusive. Otherwise we'll just have to wait and see what ends up going where.

Fredrik

No need to do it in a blog post, especially when consoles are supply constrained anway. Just drop the bombs once gameplay trailers are ready. Way more hype.
They could’ve skipped talking about other platforms all together. Why even talk about that? Could’ve just said that Bethesda games will be Xbox and PC exclusive in the future. Period.

Saying that some games will be exclusive makes it seem like the majority and big ones are multiplats. Maybe that’s how it is, we don’t know, but if you’re going to be vague in a PR statement then at least be clever enough and use the vagueness to your advantage.

They could’ve skipped talking about other platforms all together. Why even talk about that? Could’ve just said that Bethesda games will be Xbox and PC exclusive in the future. Period.
Because it doesn't make sense for all games to be Xbox and PC exclusive (basically any online multiplayer game). It also doesn't make sense to make definitive statements like that. Good PR means you always leave a door open for other possibilities.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
That was MLB's call. They own the rights not Sony.

Sony San Diego is still a 1st party studio, Playstion Studio is still a 1st party publisher and a top tier one at that, making your post moot.
Or does it only work when its in your favor.

Playstation studio 1st party devs are publishing "some" games on competing platform = fine
Xbox games studio 1st party devs are publishing "some" games on competing platform = totally retarded

When dont even know if the "some" is only the already contracted games and/or smaller projects yet they are dq'd from being first party because......what exactly?

BeardGawd

Banned
Sony San Diego is still a 1st party studio, Playstion Studio is still a 1st party publisher and a top tier one at that, making your post moot.
Or does it only work when its in your favor.

Playstation studio 1st party devs are publishing "some" games on competing platform = fine
Xbox games studio 1st party devs are publishing "some" games on competing platform = totally retarded

When dont even know if the "some" is only the already contracted games and/or smaller projects yet they are dq'd from being first party because......what exactly?
Again. This was MLB's call. Sony kept it exclusive for as long as they could. I wonder why?

Concern

Why bother when their messaging is so vague for this purchase already? Just focus on getting what already have out the door.

Last thing we need is more vague messaging for a Sega acquisition and whatever else for example.

Top Bottom