• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer confirms that some new future Bethesda titles will be Xbox and PC exclusive

MonarchJT

Banned
Arent you the same clown who said GamePass could have 100m subscribers in a couple years? You're too broke to actually buy games, but not too broke to buy powerful mind-altering drugs apparently šŸ˜‚.
i said 60/80 during this gen but yes I'm the same "clown" you are still the fanboy who is crying abouth bethesda being bought by ms?

and when a fanboy reaches the end of the barrel he begins to insult. reported

Last edited:
Bethesda first party now, make zero sense for MS to hand PS5 their games. If you want to believe otherwise, fine.
Hey Microsoft isn't saying otherwise so you can't blame people. "Some future games will be exclusive" means that some future games won't be exclusive. We're not talking about Deathloop here which is about to be out.

Hezekiah

Banned
I always liked the ā€œyou donā€™t spend 7.5 billion to release games on competitions consoleā€ posts. But, I still believe theyā€™ll make everything exclusive. Like Iā€™ve mentioned, the gold reversal set a precedent. Not that their customers wonā€™t pay for full exclusivity, but I think theyā€™ll buckle.
I think most will, but some will be on other consoles because of too much money left on the table. But yeah, it'll have to be passed on to consumers somehow.
:pie_roffles: "pie_tears_joy: :pie_roffles: "pie_tears_joy: :pie_roffles: "pie_tears_joy: :pie_roffles: "pie_tears_joy:

You mad, Bro?
I get it, you didn't get the news you were expecting today and you need to try to hide your disappointment. But eight smilies isn't going to change anything...go to bed and sleep it off. Maybe you'll feel better in the morning šŸ˜›.
i said 60/80 during this gen but yes I'm the same "clown" you are still the fanboy who is crying abouth bethesda being bought by ms?
No you definitely floated 80 - 100m as a possibility. Basically pulling numbers from thin air there lol.

so you should tell jim ryan that hey are fuckin up everything and should release everything on pc because ps5 will hardly sell more than 110/120 million consoles (over the whole gen)
Hey 110/120 million consoles sold is great I think they'd settle for that aswell as releasing games on pc with what ever bonus that brings ontop .

Arkam

So in the end PC and Nintendo Switch was the smart play this gen.... not that surprising. Usually one needs a trio to play all the games. Now, if they are patient they can have it all with only two. Sony/MS.... you did this to yourselves this time in an attempt to out flank the other.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
He has a PC, and he understands that a Japanese conglomerate like Sony will never be bought by Microsoft, no matter how much their no.1 shill wants it to happen šŸ˜„šŸ˜„.

Ow i see itā€™s Catlady, well yeah not really a smart person. Just someone living in a fantasy world. I never understand the ā€œthey can buy thisā€, ā€œthey buy thatā€, or ā€œthey are the richest companyā€. Are these people getting money from them or something?

Varteras

Gold Member
I feel like this is one of those things that isn't going to get clarification any time soon. Also, is Bethesda being treated as separate from Xbox Game Studios? I wasn't clear on how the structure will work. I would have assumed they would fall under that umbrella but it kinda sounded like Bethesda will be its own thing.

mhirano

Nice! This is the way.
If you are playing Bethesda games on PlayStation, you're doing it wrong anyway.
New Vegas was a slide show on PS3, and Fallout 4 was crippled with bad performance (sub 30fps on PS4 Pro) and no mod support.

Varteras

Gold Member
Nice! This is the way.
If you are playing Bethesda games on PlayStation, you're doing it wrong anyway.
New Vegas was a slide show on PS3, and Fallout 4 was crippled with bad performance (sub 30fps on PS4 Pro) and no mod support.

Bethesda games always felt more Xbox to me as it was. Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Doom... just never felt right on anything but a PC or Xbox. At least for Skyrim I know this was reflected in the sales. It didn't sell nearly as well on PlayStation as it did Xbox and PC. Comments made by Howard and Hines gave me the impression that they kinda felt the same. That as far as consoles go, Xbox had been a better home for them.

J_Gamer.exe

This will be funny when not all games are exclusive and only a few future ones if that.

Some Xbox fans after being humbled in the performance battle after believing microst power PR then clung onto this deal for comfort, but if they were going to make all the games exclusive youd say, all exclusive to xbox, its not difficult.

Xbox has no problem bragging when they have something, but yet here they don't, I wonder why.

Some of xbox guys far too invested in this deal for bragging rights when likely it'll only come back to make them look silly, again.

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
My buddy played Outriders with me via cross play this past weekend. His PC crashed 4 times during our 1 hr play session. Some people just don't want to deal with that BS.
I played Outsiders demo on PS5 and crashed twice. Then grouped with a friend for a quest. Then lost my progress on my main campaign. Idk if you should use that example. šŸ¤£šŸ˜…

Brofist

What Sony fans see: All of the big titles will release multiplatform. It's better this way anyway, it will be as though MS is hand curating the best ones for us, and they'll probably run better! :messenger_smiling_hearts:
What Xbox fans see: Sony will get the multiplayer crap, they'll never see games like Doom or Elder Scrolls. :messenger_smiling_horns:
What PC fans see: Who cares, we get everything and better anyway. :messenger_sunglasses:

Xbox has no problem bragging when they have something, but yet here they don't, I wonder why
This is possibly the weirdest take yet... Who exactly do you think is making the decision over exclusivity?

Microsoft will decide whether anyone will get to play these games outside of Xbox and PC because, you know, they own the whole company...

They have whatever they want here, and itā€™s quite desperately sad to see Sony fanboys trying to both beg and mock at the same time.

With the most cutting edge components. But they don't actually use them for gaming, just Excel and YouTube.

This is a gaming forum. A very focused group. Most members here are also more than 30 yrs old. It wouldn't surprise me that most PS fans here have their own PC too. The 100+ million normal PS players out there don't visit this forum.

DaGwaphics

This will be funny when not all games are exclusive and only a few future ones if that.

Some Xbox fans after being humbled in the performance battle after believing microst power PR then clung onto this deal for comfort, but if they were going to make all the games exclusive youd say, all exclusive to xbox, its not difficult.

Xbox has no problem bragging when they have something, but yet here they don't, I wonder why.

Some of xbox guys far too invested in this deal for bragging rights when likely it'll only come back to make them look silly, again.

So this thread titled "Spencer confirms that some new Bethesda titles will be xbox exclusive" will be funny when some new Bethesda games are xbox exclusive?

Whatever floats your boat man.

Buggy Loop

PC with gamepass paid for 2 years when it was dirt cheap, Sony games coming, more and more support from Japanese devs, best VR, best CRPG with Baldurā€™s gate 3. Itā€™s so fucking good...

But Canada computers fucking cancelled my paid for back order of the 3080

The Office No GIF

Burnttips

It cost tens of millions to make a game and the cost of 7.5 billion makes perfect sense to sell games on PS. Funny in the other thread people were clamoring about total exclusives. Now it's going to be the big games that are exclusive. Battle for your plastic boys and girls.

Philly boy is too scared to take them away from PlayStation for the time being.

It's all in the wording. If they were just Xbox exclusive, he'd state it that way. He states some, meaning the big games like the Elder Scrolls and Starfield will be playable on other platforms.

They're not stupid. Why release it on just one platform.... when you can release it on many platforms and make a shit ton of money in the process? Besides, they have to earn back their 7.5 billion in some way. They may become totally exclusive in like 10 years from now.... but I highly doubt they will in the next 5 years. The smaller titles will be totally exclusive.

The quote doesn't match the thread title. The quote says, "...the best place..." not "...the only place..."
It's all the wording. States that and states some.

I guarantee you the big names will stay on other platforms. The newer and smaller titles will most likely be exclusive to Xbox.

It honestly just doesn't make any sense to make titles like Fallout, Elder Scrolls and Starfield exclusive to Xbox when they can make way more money selling it on other platforms. They eventually will have to earn back those billions they spent.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
It's all the wording. States that and states some.

I guarantee you the big names will stay on other platforms. The newer and smaller titles will most likely be exclusive to Xbox.

It honestly just doesn't make any sense to make titles like Fallout, Elder Scrolls and Starfield exclusive to Xbox when they can make way more money selling it on other platforms. They eventually will have to earn back those billions they spent.

Again with this? If this were true you would see gt7, God of War, and ratchet and clank on switch and xbox to "make way more money"
You'd also see mario, Zelda, etc on xbox and playstation. Please explain why they don't do this for the billions they invest into these games. Oh wait........

GhostOfTsu

Banned
No lol.what equals? unifying the platform xbox has far greater reach than anything ps5 could hope to have at the end of gen. this is established at 100%. Microsoft releases games on HIS Windows operating system therefore on a store that, among others, is present on its platform, Steam. This is the store with the most users about 120 million per month on Microsoft's operating system. Microsoft releases also games on the their store and on Gamepass PC (gamepass games cannot be downloaded on Steam). Then it releases the games simultaneously on its consoles and also on xcloud. It has a vastly higher audience of reachable users than the PlayStation. One thing to note is that unlike cross-gen, when only nextgen games will be released, this can obviously only rely on the ps5 userbase which for the first few years is really small.
Why do you keep bringing up Steam when all the Bethesda catalogue is already there and all the future titles were coming already with or without this deal? This deal changed nothing.

Days Gone and Horizon are also on Steam so you can add those 120 millions users to Sony too. Their reach is even bigger than Microsoft now with this nonsense you post.

DaGwaphics

Different moments in MS history and different situations entirely. MS needs to buff Xbox Game Pass and they'll be better just making games exclusives, specially the biggest ones like TES

I agree with you overall. But... there is another way to look at it. Maybe MS likes the idea of Bethesda software basically being free for GP right now (development paid for by the existing PC/PS sales along with the Xbox sales that aren't cannibalized by GP). Maybe that's a good fit for this growth phase of GP, where they have a lot of promotions going etc. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Whatever they have to do to keep making GP better and more inclusive, I'm fine with that. Though the fanboy in me wants to see them beat their chest over these exclusives, the tears from the Sony faithful are totally worth it.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
I agree with you overall. But... there is another way to look at it. Maybe MS likes the idea of Bethesda software basically being free for GP right now (development paid for by the existing PC/PS sales along with the Xbox sales that aren't cannibalized by GP). Maybe that's a good fit for this growth phase of GP, where they have a lot of promotions going etc. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
Except it won't grow gamepass which is mostly console gamers. They need to sell xboxes to grow gamepass now. Giving people a reason to buy a ps5 is not helping sell Xboxes and gamepass. You can only sell so many current xbox owners on gamepass you need fresh blood. You need exclusive content to get new users into the ecosystem.

Kagey K

Banned
Except it won't grow gamepass which is mostly console gamers. They need to sell xboxes to grow gamepass now. Giving people a reason to buy a ps5 is not helping sell Xboxes and gamepass. You can only sell so many current xbox owners on gamepass you need fresh blood. You need exclusive content to get new users into the ecosystem.
That and the generation is still early enough. Lots of people are assuming Xbox and PS are going to split 2:1 again, but if MS makes the right moves early in the gen they can claw a bunch of that market share back.

Releasing your games on other systems is only going to help you get into the exact same spot you are now.

I would hope MS isnā€™t sitting back going, ā€œWell as long as we sell 50 mil again we are fine.ā€

DaGwaphics

Totally agree, I would completely go the exclusive route. I was just trying to rationalize not going that way. I'm starting to think that MS isn't going full exclusive, just based on the best/first thing and all the vagueness, but we'll see.

But, like I said, would completely go exclusive if I was running the show. Though I wouldn't know wtf I was doing and would probably run things into the ground in a day, so there's that. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
Deathloop and Ghost Wire for PS5.
AOE2 remake, Flight simulator and others.
Since Xbox Series Consoles support Keyboard and Mouse as well as having descent CPU's there is literally no reason for those games to be skipping or coming late to XB consoles.
Lets not forget that XBL is free on PC while console gamers subsidize the cost for the PC version by paying $60 a year for it.
Again lets not pretend MS can't afford to pay those deals back in order to launch those games day and date on Xbox.
Why? so that their 2nd rate clients don't feel so 2nd rate all the time.
I was planning on getting those games on PC but shit if they bring em to Xbox I might double dip on Deathloop

You make a good point..they definitely got the money to pay/break those deals...could be an interesting explanation for the deathloop delay that came out of nowhere

MonarchJT

Banned
Why do you keep bringing up Steam when all the Bethesda catalogue is already there and all the future titles were coming already with or without this deal? This deal changed nothing.

Days Gone and Horizon are also on Steam so you can add those 120 millions users to Sony too. Their reach is even bigger than Microsoft now with this nonsense you post.
because we talking about future games ? you know ms will take moneys for this sold games And meanwhile the ps5 games will be able to count "only" on the console userbase which will be at most 110/120 million by the end of the gen the Xbox can virtually count 120 million (continuously growing) from day one. Obviously to these must be added the millions of consoles and all that gamepass xcloud will bring.

Sure you can add those 120 m for as user reach for days gone and horizon. Look, that's it, it's not some sort of meme, If PlayStation released all its games on pc it would have an unparalleled user base imagine how much God of war spiderman and uncharted could sell. But for them it is more complicated because for them the console is still important and releasing everything on the PC would weaken it a lot (which Ms was able to do lightly since anyway Windows it's their property)

Last edited:

Fredrik

I played Outsiders demo on PS5 and crashed twice. Then grouped with a friend for a quest. Then lost my progress on my main campaign. Idk if you should use that example. šŸ¤£šŸ˜…
Lol yeah, zero crashes here, mostly above 100fps at Ultra, on a 4 year old graphics card šŸ˜šŸ‘Œ

longdi

Banned
well there it is! shock šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

stop dreaming or port begging. get an Xbox or a new PC, and then gamepass'd it.

devilNprada

The phrase "best and first way to play" keeps recurring by more than one exec.

I'm calling the obvious now:

Timed exclusives with exclusive DLC available only on Game pass.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Again with this? If this were true you would see gt7, God of War, and ratchet and clank on switch and xbox to "make way more money"
You'd also see mario, Zelda, etc on xbox and playstation. Please explain why they don't do this for the billions they invest into these games. Oh wait........
Are these two scenarios (Bethesda Games vs. PlayStation Studios games) even comparable?

Sony makes God of War to sell to PlayStation users. All cost-related and design-related decisions are made in accordance with the available user base.

With Bethesda, it is different. MS does not only have to bear the development cost of the game, but they also need to amortize the $7.5B they paid for the acquisition on top of that. Additionally, PS userbase is 3x higher than Xbox userbase. In other words, keeping games off of PS is roughly 300% more expensive for Xbox than it is for PS to keep games off of Xbox. That's why we see so many high-quality timed exclusives on PS. And that's why recovering that $7.5B acquisition money is an issue for MS -- which is why they said "some new future games will be exclusive."

In other words, Sony recovers the development cost of the game. MS needs to recover the development cost + the $7.5B acquisition cost from Bethesda games to make the investment worthwhile.

Top Bottom