• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: announcement this week

Mr.Phoenix

bro... people believe MS's ability to not fucking up their own PC OS?
necessity is the mother of invention... :messenger_beaming:

One thing for certain though, is that if MS has learned anything over the last twoi decades, its that rather than fight Playstation, they should have grown their already existing userbase and Steam would never have happened. And at least they should have learned that there is definitely a PC market, and there is a way they can go about that that would be easier for them to take over than whatever they have been trying to do with Xbox vs PlayStation.

People say no one can dethrone steam, but I disagree, If I were MS, and I did what I had in mind, steam would become redundant in 3 years tops.

But you are right, who am I kidding.... its MS we are talking about here. They just gather a lot of dumb fucks and pay them millions.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
necessity is the mother of invention... :messenger_beaming:

One thing for certain though, is that if MS has learned anything over the last twoi decades, its that rather than fight Playstation, they should have grown their already existing userbase and Steam would never have happened. And at least they should have learned that there is definitely a PC market, and there is a way they can go about that that would be easier for them to take over than whatever they have been trying to do with Xbox vs PlayStation.

People say no one can dethrone steam, but I disagree, If I were MS, and I did what I had in mind, steam would become redundant in 3 years tops.

But you are right, who am I kidding.... its MS we are talking about here. They just gather a lot of dumb fucks and pay them millions.

You do know Microsoft can not stop an open platform like Windows to have steam.

Microsoft can't legally kill steam in any way.

How do you make the PC gaming community that loves the creator of half life and have all installed steam for half life 2, allow it to be killed?

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

You do know Microsoft can not stop an open platform like Windows to have steam.

Microsoft can't legally kill steam in any way.

How do you make the PC gaming community that loves the creator of half life and have all installed steam for half life 2, allow it to be killed?
Who said anything about stopping steam? You will be able to install and use Steam on this Windows Xbox Lite variant if you want to. Or the Epic Game Store. If MS does it right, they don't need to block those guys out to make them redundant.

MS spent $70B buying one publisher. With $5B and 3 years, they will and can do things that steam simply cannot match.

Pantz

0qJAbZ9.jpg

👍
One please, I want to see the chaos.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Who said anything about stopping steam? You will be able to install and use Steam on this Windows Xbox Lite variant if you want to. Or the Epic Game Store. If MS does it right, they don't need to block those guys out to make them redundant.

MS spent $70B buying one publisher. With $5B and 3 years, they will and can do things that steam simply cannot match.

There is absolutely no way PC gamers drop steam.

Sony won the ps4 generation when people started investing in digital libraries on console. They built that incredible user base and benefit from it.

Now imagine that two fold for steam. I hit 20 years of steam this year and I have thousands of pounds worth of games. I would laugh in microsofts face trying to get me away from steam.

They can get scraps of sales and enjoy my gamepass money but I ain't dropping steam, and every one of my friends would laugh in my face if I asked them if Microsoft could make them leave steam behind.

Last edited:

You are seriously underestimating PC bases loyalty to Steam.

ulantan

He is in Resetera saying Xbox games will be exclusive and even Starfield may not be ported, the whole thread is kinda of a mess
I saw that shit, the longer ms drag this out the stupider this will get. I fully expect Tommrow someone will say halo is on PlayStations backend. Followed by lol just kidding.

AGRacing

I wish they'd stay in hardware and get out of Game Pass. My long term perspective on it now is that it has had the unintended effect of devaluing games. It's only a contribution to that perspective - along with games being broken on release, games advertising content that hasn't appeared and the price increase (89.99 here in Canada). I'm frankly blown away by how negative a turn I've felt in my own enthusiasm for console gaming. Genres I once loved are all but gone. Originality at an all time low. Political narratives are prioritized at the expense of story telling. It's a shit show from top to bottom in a lot of ways. Bring back 2005.

Ar¢tos

bro... people believe MS's ability to not fucking up their own PC OS?
They were lucky to strike gold with NT, so much that they just keep building on top of it.
In 300 years there will still be remains of NT code in whatever version of Windows there is at the time.

Eiknarf

When is Phil going to make this “aNnoUncem3nt”?

What day? Or are we gonna drag this out too?

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
I don't trust anything. It's obvious that someone leaked a mix of details and lies meant to incite the fan base in order to undermine whatever is actually going on.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Maybe Tim changed Phillys mind after all.
Stop It Neil Patrick Harris GIF

Calling it a "business update" and steaming on the Game Awards is as ominous as it gets.
In my eyes it could literally go either way to saying they are out of the console business (which I don't think) to here is our new strat with 2 skus coming sooner then people think and here is HiFi Rush on PS (which I think is more likely)

TheBomb

In my eyes it could literally go either way to saying they are out of the console business (which I don't think) to here is our new strat with 2 skus coming sooner then people think and here is HiFi Rush on PS (which I think is more likely)
You could be right, but new hardware right now? Not sure how the consumer will react.

Nope. I don't. I just trust people's greed more.

Yea this is what I mean by underestimating the PC user base. You should see the rage people have towards MS and their last foray into PC gaming. They didn't forget.

It would be so weird to announce a new console 2 years before it comes out. It would just hurt their sales even more.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
You could be right, but new hardware right now? Not sure how the consumer will react.

Yea this is what I mean by underestimating the PC user base. You should see the rage people have towards MS and their last foray into PC gaming. They didn't forget.

It would be so weird to announce a new console 2 years before it comes out. It would just hurt their sales even more.

I think the only reason he may address it is trying to alleviate concerns they are leaving the hardware business as people are leaving Xbox as is thinking its dead

This is truly a guess on my part

I think the only reason he may address it is trying to alleviate concerns they are leaving the hardware business as people are leaving Xbox as is thinking its dead

I think just mentioning that they have no plans to leave the hardware market and are currently working on their next console release is more than enough. Announcing dates and stuff I think is a bad idea.

Bernoulli

M2 slut

If they can release a handheld with S power at 499 or 599 in the end of 2024 they'll win the handheld market for sure

XXL

I don't think this will be "were leaving rn" (but I wouldnt be surprised) but I do think this is the beginning of them bring games to PS5 and Nintendo and that GamePass will massively change how it's structured.

Which is going to begin the process of them becoming 3rd party in the end and it will be hasten by the success of the games launching on these other platforms.

Well find out soon!

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Fuck me if all this turns out to be blown way out of proportion by some crazy Internet lunatics.

What's worse, if Microsoft say something different to what Sony fans have been expecting, and these lunatics have expected to hear...Microsoft are the ones who are going to be blamed for what these psychopaths have done.

Fabieter

Fuck me if all this turns out to be blown way out of proportion by some crazy Internet lunatics.

What's worse, if Microsoft say something different to what Sony fans have been expecting, and these lunatics have expected to hear...Microsoft are the ones who are going to be blamed for what these psychopaths have done.

Not only that it will also damage the brand somewhat.

XXL

Yeah, I would say regardless it's not good and it's their own fault.

I don't think all this stuff is nothing though.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service

Even if its a false alarm there's a huge chance I'm off consoles. Console warriors are ruining the hobby. Ready to just ignore all of it. Psychos.

Turns out to be?

I think that’s the only outcome that is guaranteed :messenger_tears_of_joy: Nothing else is off the table, but the frenzy has been pure insanity.

I’m expecting the original rumours to be true (at least) - Sea of Thieves, Hi Fi Rush and so on - but the other stuff will turn out to have been embarrassing nonsense, and I’m really expecting Microsoft to have a surprise or two in store in their plans.

They must be sat in Seattle thinking ‘we knew these people were nuts, but holy shit’…

Doesn't matter what they say now. This isn't a war anymore. It's an extermination.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Not only that it will also damage the brand somewhat.

Yeah, I would say regardless it's not good and it's their own fault.

I don't think all this stuff is nothing though.

Yup, the brand has taken a massive hit.

Even if its a false alarm there's a huge chance I'm off consoles. Console warriors are ruining the hobby. Ready to just ignore all of it. Psychos.

Not a bad idea, man. Play on PC. Enjoy game pass, xbox store, steam, epic free games. Playstation console exclusives. It's the best platform by a mile, and the safest. Cheap games on cd keys. :)

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Yup, the brand has taken a massive hit.

Not a bad idea, man. Play on PC. Enjoy game pass, xbox store, steam, epic free games. Playstation console exclusives. It's the best platform by a mile, and the safest. Cheap
Might have to bug you for lots of advice, but that is looking like the plan.

Last edited:

Jerm411

Nate basically said some things will get ported, some may not….XBox is staying in hardware and will compete with the PS6 (good luck)….

I asked him about GP and changes to it, found his answer interesting…

“Whispers that I didn’t pay much attention to at the time as it sounded asinine but may need to revisit.”

TheBomb

True, but for me just support the current model for a couple more years, and then decide.

Top Bottom