• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: announcement this week

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Welcome aboard, where this train goes nobody knows
2AndTv5.jpg
I would like a ticket for this train that has no date, no destination but I hope that we will witness history. Hopefully a good one.

Reactions: TGO

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Our X's became hexes
Too many holes
In a man's heart

Malignant cunts
The Verde vermin undulate in filth
Kretos, we're all gods of whore

Our Master Chiefs are Benedict Arnolds
Our Starfield is narrower, despite widening scope
A record breaking buyout masking a truly
Record breaking sellout

There is every need to be upset
Halo belongs on this hardware
Because Xbox is dead
We promise next season
We'll kill our integrity instead

*bongo solo*

Bethesda, Bethesda
This ain't the method-ah
Fallout 5 is the 360 your masters pulled
I'll preorder now
And get an exclusive handbag full of Bill Gates' bad touch

Fabieter

I'm sure that will solve all their problems with hardware sales...

LOL

I'm not sure if you are trolling at this point

A new gen in 2026 for 499 wont cut it. It will basically play the same games than ps5/Pro but with higher fps. It's not like the 360 where xbox got actual next gen games a year early on top of all the other stuff sony did badly. If they want great hardware in 2026 it's gonna be expensive.

Crm114

With the shut down of the physical media department they're gonna announce the all digital console and start with some games on PS5 prob not the heavy hitters like Gears and Halo right away as to not alienate the fanbase. Stuff like Startled for example. They won't abandon hardware completely this gen.

Then next gen bye bye consoles. Gamepass on all platforms and individual releases as well.

Here's another one but is prob a stretch, maybe they design a premium console like Nvidia would design a graphics card and make a certain amount of founders editions themselves but strike a deal with other manufacturers to let them make their verison and license the OS out too. Taking away the burden of manufacturing hardware.

Last edited:
If they go to the OEM route, it will definitely be more expensive. And it is also one of the big reasons why I think they will be eventually squeezed out of the hardware market.

Consoles are always sold at a loss, only because they money is made after selling software in a walled garden. With that out of the picture, the consoles will have to be sold at a profit per unit.

So, theoretically, a similarly-specced and powerful PS6 console can be up to $300 cheaper than the Xbox Next. I don't think there is going to be any meaningful market for a $300 more expensive console with the least amount of games (first- and third-party) and no or very, very few exclusives.

Just my 2 cents.
If they want to make a streamlined PC that is open and multi-store with XSX system UI I'm in.

With the shut down of the physical media department they're gonna announce the all digital console and start with some games on PS5 prob not the heavy hitters like Gears and Halo right away as to not alienate the fanbase. Stuff like Startled for example. They won't abandon hardware completely this gen.

Then next gen bye bye consoles. Gamepass on all platforms and individual releases as well.

Here's another one but is prob a stretch, maybe they design a premium console like Nvidia would design a graphics card and make a certain amount of founders editions themselves but strike a deal with other manufacturers to let them make their verison and license the OS out too. Taking away the burden of manufacturing hardware.
The thing is, I’m just not sure halo and gears really are heavy hitters outside of Xbox. Do people still love halo and gears of war that much?

A new gen in 2026 for 499 wont cut it. It will basically play the same games than ps5/Pro but with higher fps. It's not like the 360 where xbox got actual next gen games a year early on top of all the other stuff sony did badly. If they want great hardware in 2026 it's gonna be expensive.

They are about to go third-party...

They don't give a shit about hardware!!!!

Xbox as a console is done

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yep and one that no one has been asking for. People have literally been screaming at them to make better games and be more consistent and once again they just do their own thing and ignore what gamers are telling them to do. Don't get me wrong this is cool and a good idea but it's not something that is going to make me invest in their ecosystem.

You know what would have been great for them to do with all that money? Stop the contractor rule they have in place for all game studios and actually build a team of good devs\employees you can rely on to create quality games.
This is the real reason I hate these shills so much. They’ve never demanded better games. They beg them to buy everyone up.

Crm114

The thing is, I’m just not sure halo and gears really are heavy hitters outside of Xbox. Do people still love halo and gears of war that much?
I should have articulated it better. They're not heavy hitters as in the quality has dropped drastically so they're not universally praised anymore. But they are joined at the hip with Xbox in terms of being synonymous with the brand and stir up a certain level of nostalgia/emotional connection.

There's a core of Xbox fans that will feel betrayed if those franchises end up on Playstation. They might end up on their next gen but if those franchises have a current gen release I think they stay Xbox exclusive for at least a year.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Any way to get Master Cheeks pegged by Makee and Kwan on the verge of getting run over by the train?
Sarah Bond roasting on the XBOXSeriesX exhaust fumes, and Kiki Wolfkill derp face stretched over the upper part of the train cockpit?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

LOL....nope. Aint gonna happen. At best, there might end up being a light version that is similar to EA Play.

Three

Jez wrote an article. Lol.
"Yes, PlayStation 5 is outselling Xbox Series X|S, but potentially only to its own PS4 install base. The fact Microsoft's console user base is going up"

Try again Jezzy:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Our X's became hexes
Too many holes
In a man's heart

Malignant cunts
The Verde vermin undulate in filth
Kretos, we're all gods of whore

Our Master Chiefs are Benedict Arnolds
Our Starfield is narrower, despite widening scope
A record breaking buyout masking a truly
Record breaking sellout

There is every need to be upset
Halo belongs on this hardware
Because Xbox is dead
We promise next season
We'll kill our integrity instead

*bongo solo*

Bethesda, Bethesda
This ain't the method-ah
Fallout 5 is the 360 your masters pulled
I'll preorder now
And get an exclusive handbag full of Bill Gates' bad touch
hNg4lPf.gif

Crm114

LOL....nope. Aint gonna happen. At best, there might end up being a light version that is similar to EA Play.
You might be right, maybe they get a light version and the big releases are full price retail only coming to gamepass a year after release. One things for sure you know they'll want to tap into the large install base the PS6 will have and have some revenue coming in.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Any way to get Master Cheeks pegged by Makee and Kwan on the verge of getting run over by the train?
Sarah Bond roasting on the XBOXSeriesX exhaust fumes, and Kiki Wolfkill derp face stretched over the upper part of the train cockpit?
I've no clue who they are, but you got Kiki on the tracks 👍
5DaUw6a.jpg

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
I've no clue who they are, but you got Kiki on the tracks 👍
Sarah Bond is the new XBOX President
Kiki, which you got, was the TRANSmedia expert of Halo at 343 responsible for all sorts of horrible shit for not understanding Halo
Master Cheeks is the Halo Man butt naked
IztO0Yh.jpg
Makee is a dumbass character from the Halo TV show
j3VB3Ri.jpg
Kwan should not be in the show at all, and at best is the D story line of the show, but is actually treated like the A story line where everyone is supposed to like them and they're special and magic
4rMd8hW.jpg

I should have articulated it better. They're not heavy hitters as in the quality has dropped drastically so they're not universally praised anymore. But they are joined at the hip with Xbox in terms of being synonymous with the brand and stir up a certain level of nostalgia/emotional connection.

There's a core of Xbox fans that will feel betrayed if those franchises end up on Playstation. They might end up on their next gen but if those franchises have a current gen release I think they stay Xbox exclusive for at least a year.
Ah I get you. Yeah I agree.

Mr.Phoenix

I never wanted to offend him, but releasing a very expensive console when they are not selling any as it is, sounded absurd to me

I wasn't sure if he was serious or not
I think releasing a more expensive console is reflective of the direction I personally see them going. For starters, it would mean they are not trying to sell it as a loss-leading subsidized product anymore. And then it could also mean that new console is more or less an open platform. Think Nvidia or AMD reference cards that they sell to OEMS to repackage. I can see MS going that route. And having their games all be on PS anyway, would mean they wouldn't care how many people actually buy into that kinda Xbox experience.

It would most definitely be more expensive... I am personally thinking $800 - $1000 range, but I believe it would be something that they would iterate on every two years or so and flat-out represent the most powerful console gaming experience you can have. If they are going for new hardware, this is honestly the only way I see it making sense. If they are just going to try and make another straight-up PS rival? Then they have already lost that battle. And they cant do the cheap box thing anymore either, cause they tried that and failed already too.

So the only option left to them is to go the premium expensive route.

I think releasing a more expensive console is reflective of the direction I personally see them going. For starters, it would mean they are not trying to sell it as a loss-leading subsidized product anymore. And then it could also mean that new console is more or less an open platform. Think Nvidia or AMD reference cards that they sell to OEMS to repackage. I can see MS going that route. And having their games all be on PS anyway, would mean they wouldn't care how many people actually buy into that kinda Xbox experience.

It would most definitely be more expensive... I am personally thinking $800 - $1000 range, but I believe it would be something that they would iterate on every two years or so and flat-out represent the most powerful console gaming experience you can have. If they are going for new hardware, this is honestly the only way I see it making sense. If they are just going to try and make another straight-up PS rival? Then they have already lost that battle. And they cant do the cheap box thing anymore either, cause they tried that and failed already too.

So the only option left to them is to go the premium expensive route.

If you release a $1000 console with no exclusives, how is it better than building your own PC???

I'm confused. Third parties won't support a niche product anyway unless it's a PC

And a PC by definition it's not a console.

What you are suggesting it's basically a "Steam Deck not portable" that isn't needed since you can build a PC at that point

This would be a MS pre-built PC

Last edited:
I have zero specifics just that some dancing on Xbox grave might look foolish in the coming weeks
MS/Xbox is on an atonement journey. Xbox can't die as a gaming division. However, it's clear that whatever they announce next week won't suddenly boost hardware sales.

so, this journey is going to last the next 2-4 years and they are going to be super nasty.

Mr.Phoenix

If you release a $1000 console with no exclusives, how is it better than building your own PC???

I'm confused. Third parties won't support a niche product anyway unless it's a PC

And a PC by definition it's not a console.

What you are suggesting it's basically a "Steam Deck not portable" that isn't needed since you can build a PC at that point

This would be a MS pre-built PC
Oh... it would play standard PC games. The only thing "Xbox" about it would be the version of Windows it would have. Think Windows Gaming Lite... or a more open version of the current Xbox OS. And they will be pushing their store and gamepass. But I believe there wil be some new version of windows that anyone can install on any device that is far far far less resource-hungry and perfectly optimized for gaming. And that also makes things like driver updates for CPUs/GPUs, overclocking...etc, all very very easy.

It would still be cheaper than building a PC with similar specs though.

Oh... it would play standard PC games. The only thing "Xbox" about it would be the version of Windows it would have. Think Windows Gaming Lite... or a more open version of the current Xbox OS. And they will be pushing their store and gamepass. But I believe there wil be some new version of windows that anyone can install on any device that is far far far less resource-hungry and perfectly optimized for gaming. And that also makes things like driver updates for CPUs/GPUs, overclocking...etc, all very very easy.

Got it, like a Steam OS by Microsoft

bro... people believe MS's ability to not fucking up their own PC OS?

Top Bottom