• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peter Moore said: "PlayStation did a brilliant job of FUD-ing Sega and Dreamcast: Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt."

Status
Not open for further replies.

longdi

Banned
Peter Moore on why the plug was pulled on the Dreamcast
By Ben Tyrer 4 days ago
Ex-President of Sega Of America talks to Edge on why the Dreamcast died

Peter Moore has spoken candidly in the Edge Game Changers series about the demise of the Dreamcast.

Moore, who was the President of Sega Of America at the time, is a recognisable face amongst gamers (not least for the time he got a tattoo of GTA IV to announce it was coming to Xbox 360), and he opens up on the challenges the Dreamcast faced when it came to going up against the PlayStation 2 in the Sega Dreamcast Edge Game Changers feature.

Moore said: "PlayStation did a brilliant job of FUD-ing Sega and Dreamcast: Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt. The gamer loved it and still loves his or her Dreamcast, but the positioning of the PS2 – things like the Emotion Engine – they did what Sony do really well: they drove hard, and they’ve done that with just about every iteration of PlayStation since."

Moore at the links :messenger_ok:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_uncertainty,_and_doubt

Fear, uncertainty, and doubt

Microsoft[edit]
From the 1990s onward the term became most often associated with Microsoft. Roger Irwin said:[10]

Microsoft soon picked up the art of FUD from IBM, and throughout the '80s used FUD as a primary marketing tool, much as IBM had in the previous decade. They ended up out FUD-ing IBM themselves during the OS/2 vs Win3.1 years.
In 1996, Caldera, Inc. accused Microsoft of several anti-competitive practices, including issuing vaporware announcements, creating FUD, and excluding competitors from participating in beta-test programs in order to destroy competition in the DOS market.[11][12] One of the claims was related to having modified Windows 3.1 so that it would not run on DR DOS 6.0 although there were no technical reasons for it not to work.[11][13] This was caused by the so-called AARD code, some encrypted piece of code, which had been found in a number of Microsoft programs. The code would fake nonsensical error messages if run on DR DOS, like:[14][15][16]

Non-Fatal error detected: error #2726
Please contact Windows 3.1 beta support
Press ENTER to exit or C to continue[14][15][16]
If the user chose to press C, Windows would continue to run on DR DOS without problems. While it had been already speculated in the industry that the purpose of this code was to create doubts about DR DOS's compatibility and thereby destroy the product's reputation,[14][15] internal Microsoft memos published as part of the United States v. Microsoft antitrust case later revealed that the specific focus of these tests was in fact DR DOS.[17] At one point, Microsoft CEO Bill Gates sent a memo to a number of employees, reading

You never sent me a response on the question of what things an app would do that would make it run with MS-DOS and not run with DR-DOS. Is there [a] feature they have that might get in our way?[11][18]
Microsoft Senior Vice President Brad Silverberg later sent another memo, stating

What the [user] is supposed to do is feel uncomfortable, and when he has bugs, suspect that the problem is DR-DOS and then go out to buy MS-DOS.[11][18]
In 2000, Microsoft settled the lawsuit out-of-court for an undisclosed sum, which in 2009 was revealed to be $280 million.[19][20][21][22]

At around the same time, the leaked internal Microsoft "Halloween documents" stated "OSS [Open Source Software] is long-term credible… [therefore] FUD tactics cannot be used to combat it."[23] Open source software, and the Linux community in particular, are widely perceived as frequent targets of Microsoft's FUD:

bender

What time is it?
giphy.gif

-Arcadia-

Banned
Yeah, I was there, 5000 years ago, lol. PlayStation 2 ended up a remarkable system, but what was promised was utterly stupid in comparison to what we got.

FUD and ridiculous overhype (I’m adding that one) are apt descriptions. Sony and co. would have had you believe that they were delivering the PlayStation 4 in 2000, and not the PS2.

Something which carried over to PS3, their ‘their supercomputer for computer entertainment’. Remember all the Xbox 1.5 talk? The reality again ended up being remarkably different.

What I like about modern Sony is that they, their ridiculous console warriors aside, are very humble and honest about what they’re making. PS4 was everything promised, and it looks the same for PS5.

That said, I’d have to click through all of this to find out if Moore really thinks it was the sole reason for the Dreamcast ending, but it definitely wasn’t. So many bad Sega decisions before the DC had accumulated.

Last edited:

j0hnnix

Maximilian talked about this in one of his streams while he scrolled through his buddy Era site making my eyes burn.

Dreamcast had so much potential. Its sad how SoJ threw away such an opportunity by ignoring SoA, maybe not ignoring but mismanaging what was being told by SoA to set them on a successful path. Luckily they will join MS Wednesday.

Calverz

Microsoft[edit]
From the 1990s onward the term became most often associated with Microsoft. Roger Irwin said:[10]

In 1996, Caldera, Inc. accused Microsoft of several anti-competitive practices, including issuing vaporware announcements, creating FUD, and excluding competitors from participating in beta-test programs in order to destroy competition in the DOS market.[11][12] One of the claims was related to having modified Windows 3.1 so that it would not run on DR DOS 6.0 although there were no technical reasons for it not to work.[11][13] This was caused by the so-called AARD code, some encrypted piece of code, which had been found in a number of Microsoft programs. The code would fake nonsensical error messages if run on DR DOS, like:[14][15][16]

If the user chose to press C, Windows would continue to run on DR DOS without problems. While it had been already speculated in the industry that the purpose of this code was to create doubts about DR DOS's compatibility and thereby destroy the product's reputation,[14][15] internal Microsoft memos published as part of the United States v. Microsoft antitrust case later revealed that the specific focus of these tests was in fact DR DOS.[17] At one point, Microsoft CEO Bill Gates sent a memo to a number of employees, reading

Microsoft Senior Vice President Brad Silverberg later sent another memo, stating

In 2000, Microsoft settled the lawsuit out-of-court for an undisclosed sum, which in 2009 was revealed to be $280 million.[19][20][21][22]

At around the same time, the leaked internal Microsoft "Halloween documents" stated "OSS [Open Source Software] is long-term credible… [therefore] FUD tactics cannot be used to combat it."[23] Open source software, and the Linux community in particular, are widely perceived as frequent targets of Microsoft's FUD:

Wow thanks for putting in all this effort when nobody asked for it lol

Calverz

Yeah, I was there, 5000 years ago, lol. PlayStation 2 ended up a remarkable system, but what was promised was utterly stupid in comparison to what we got.

FUD and ridiculous overhype (I’m adding that one) are apt descriptions. Sony and co. would have had you believe that they were delivering the PlayStation 4 in 2000, and not the PS2.

Something which carried over to PS3, their ‘their supercomputer for computer entertainment’. Remember all the Xbox 1.5 talk? The reality again ended up being remarkably different.

What I like about modern Sony is that they, their ridiculous console warriors aside, are very humble and honest about what they’re making. PS4 was everything promised, and it looks the same for PS5.

That said, I’d have to click through all of this to find out if Moore really thinks it was the sole reason for the Dreamcast ending, but it definitely wasn’t. So many bad Sega decisions before the DC had accumulated.
Remember the whole real time toy story graphics thing?

Everything was focused on PS2. PS2 utterly destroyed everything that generation- Dreamcast, GameCube, Xbox it wasn’t even a contest. PS2 was arguably a worse system than the GameCube or Xbox but it had a DVD player and it had mindshare.
Being the "more powerful" system was never what wins console wars. It appears Sony learned that the hard way with PS3, while Xbox and the entire Xbox fandom is still in denial and refusing to learn that lesson.

Max_Po

Banned
Haha... SEGA and Peter Moron blaming others for their demise.

First they wasted millions on SEGA Saturn and then even after the success of PS1 they produced a hardware inferior in vision to competition.

Gimped GDRom
No attention to protection.
Easily pirateable
Limited Arcade centric library
Wasted huge amount of money on one of the most useless franchise..Shenmue
Worst controller than Saturn

Last edited:

protonion

From the guy with the gta tattoo and lucid dreams...

Sure...

I remember like it was yesterday.
When the first demos were released (gt 2000 ,mgs2...) it was over.

Mgs2 felt like it came from 20 years in the future.

Dreamcast was dead on arrival with its pathetic library and complete saturn failure (I had one good riddance to that console also)

In fact all the consoles of that era should be grateful even for those little sales they had.

Ps2 had the most deserving victory in gaming history.

MarkMe2525

Remember the whole real time toy story graphics thing?
Before people try to participate in revisionist history to claim Sony never said that, and in fact it was a MS quote. Here is the link reporting on Sony's claim From 3/1/99

Not that it matters, I've just seen that claim thrown around in here as fact.

Also, a lot of Dreamcast haters in the house. It's easy to forget, but there was a time before Sony started the ps2 hype train, and the graphics that Sega was showing with the Dreamcast were blowing people's minds. I had one at launch and will always remember when my grandfather mistakenly confused NFL 2k for a real football game. It was on a smaller crt and he was halfway across the room, bit still.

Last edited:

Mokus

Sega faild for many reasons and most of them were by their own fault. About the FUD tactics, actually SEGA pioneered it in the home console market using it against Nintendo very successfully, and they were doing it against the first PlayStation too.

And had only managed to sell 9 million Dreamcasts in a 3 year time period.
That number doesn't even reflect how bad the Dreamcast was selling. When Sega stopped the production and they were about to exit the hardware market, they had more unsold units in storage than sold ones.

longdi

Banned

Yeah i remember the FUD starting with PS2, totally undeserved but it was everywhere when i was still on 56k modem.
Sony reached peak FUD with the killzone and motorstorm fakes.
Guess by PS4 time, they scaled down on the fakes, but they didnt really need aggressive FUD, because MS/Mattrick had shot themselves on the foot.
However it seems PS5 FUD is gaining speed, i guess when competition heats up, FUD follows. 🤷‍♀️

SumJester

Yeah we all know the real issue was Sega's managment.

But damn, the reaction around here. Are the console wars this bad that you need to attack a dead console to defend the Playstation brand?

What's next? Pull a IGN and tell us that the "Dreamcast was never good"?

Last edited:
everyone with an iq over 71 knows why the Dreamcast failed.
Sega cancelled themselves and ps2 was a beast.

ofc this websites biggest xboy knows this, but wants to spread the bizarre fud anyway 😂

Yeah i remember the FUD starting with PS2, totally undeserved but it was everywhere when i was still on 56k modem.
Sony reached peak FUD with the killzone and motorstorm fakes.
Guess by PS4 time, they scaled down on the fakes, but they didnt really need aggressive FUD, because MS/Mattrick had shot themselves on the foot.
However it seems PS5 FUD is gaining speed, i guess when competition heats up, FUD follows. 🤷‍♀️
Ever since March and the reveals the amount of fud threads about the ps5 has been ridiculous in pure numbers compared to fud threads about xsx.
Since apparently there is so many more sonybois, you xboys don’t half shout loud If there’s fewer of you, yet so many more ps5 fud threads.

Last edited:
Okay, I should be fair, I get that it has a following, I've got a friend who loves the thing and acts like it's the best console we've ever had. I mostly just posted in this thread to be like "hey, some of us actually thought it sucked" you know for like... perspective? I feel like without posters like me saying they hated it people might actually believe it failed because of FUD and because no one tried it as opposed to for good reasons. I do understand that it's a better system if you can import games to play on it, also if you're more into certain genres I think suck.

Everything was focused on PS2. PS2 utterly destroyed everything that generation- Dreamcast, GameCube, Xbox it wasn’t even a contest. PS2 was arguably a worse system than the GameCube or Xbox but it had a DVD player and it had mindshare.

Sony just gave what gamers and customers wanted, nothing bad in that.

DVD thing were huge back then, because regular players were really expensive and ps2 offered dvd playback for cheaper or around the same price + had games too. People got it just for dvd viewing.

Same happened with ps3 in smaller scale, ps3 were cheaper than blu-ray players in the begining and had superior image quality for years.
I followed hi-fi forum back then and they always compared new bluray players to ps3 and said "ps3 is still better, but it is getting close"

So, smart move + gamecube kind of failed because of those tiny ass discs, less room and no cd/dvd player so it didnt have multiple purposes. Too bad because I see gamecube as nintendos last real home console, after that they just gave up and started to find their own weird way with wii/wiiu that are kind of home consoles, but something were missing vs old gens

onQ123

I love the Dreamcast but Sega killed it not Sony they pulled the plug in under 2 years on the market in the US we only had a good year with it I got mine on launch day the end of 1999 & they killed it at the beginning of 2001 so 2000 was the only full year that Dreamcast was on the market here.

Sega only had one successful console & that was The Genesis with 30+ million sold but all their other consoles sold around the same as the Dreamcast so he can't blame PlayStation for Sega not being PlayStation.

Tschumi

Are you guys just taking lead from the politics forum and trying your hand at nonsense stories? What's with the giant bold text where the dude says Sony have backed all of their multi million dollar investment consoles to the hilt?

His whole quote says Sony marketed really well and Sega didn't have an answer for it. What's so fucking dastardly about that?

I should mention, too that before TVs started having Roku devices built in man was it better to get a PS3/360/One/PS4 for using apps like youtube or netflix on your TV, most blu-ray players are straight garbage with those apps and even the built-in roku seems to depend on the TV.

Yeah we all know the real issue was Sega's managment.

But damn, the reaction around here. Are the console wars this bad that you need to attack a dead console to defend the Playstation brand?

What's next? Pull a IGN and tell us that the "Dreamcast was never good"?
Excuse me, we are not the ones who dragged Dreamcast's corpse out of its grave to use it as ammo here. The link was clearly a hitpiece meant to attack Sony, and you had the GALL to claim that Sony started it? Have you no SHAME?

longdi

Banned
Ever since March and the reveals the amount of fud threads about the ps5 has been ridiculous in pure numbers compared to fud threads about xsx.
Since apparently there is so many more sonybois, you xboys don’t half shout loud If there’s fewer of you, yet so many more ps5 fud threads.

I dont see what you mentioned about this loud fud threads? 🤷‍♀️
Imo its more like a call for 'show us the tech talks' rather than having to speculate for random bits and pieces off twitters and the likes.

Blue Spring

Read my tears about xbox here --->
Quite funny seeing a former microsoft executive using the term FUD so freely in inteviews. Must be used quite often within Microsoft.
Also just because Microsoft loves using FUD to be anti-competitve does not mean its a common strategy for other companies, so he is mostly projecting.

Last edited:

mejin

He talked about how Sega content was very much japanese as if it was something bad or maybe as if PlayStation was all about GTA. I mean if he could go back in time Dreamcast would still fail cause he learned jack shit.

He also claimed for SEGA "that our marketing came together and really lifted the entire industry from being predominantly a toy category" which is simply a lie. Sony broke this notion with the original PlayStation and with PS2 they consolidated everything.

Anyway, Sony later learned a lot from the mistakes they made with PS3.

Kokoloko85

Even they it was Ms that stuck the final nail in Sega’s coffin...
Masters of FUD not in consoles but in All there business.

Dreamcast was awesome btw.Such a strong 1stparty selection of games and some good 3rd party too

oldergamer

Moore is right. Sony got really good at fud. Note MS was brutal back then and would have meeting with partners where you had to prove what you had was good. They would still shit on it and pick it apart while making it look like u had no chance of working with them. Then they would try to figure out what u were doing to see if they could duplicate it. Bill Gates running ms was super cut throat. I really disliked ms for many years until they stopped the anti competitive practices.

Anyway, The early tech demos sony used to show how powerful ps2 was were mostly faked. It was real time, but the ps2 was connected to a machine that had all the geometry and lighting pre calculated. So the ps2 itself wasnt doing much if any processing. A friend of mine that was working at Square told me that.

Sony did a great job making everyone think ps2 was so much more powerful then dreamcast. While it was more powerfull, the advantage was smaller then it looked.

Even though dreamcast could hold its own for the most part while being considerably cheaper. psvr hardware using tile based rendering was great, but sony had a dvd advantage of sega using cd's which could not be overcome.

HeresJohnny

The DC was dead long before the OG XBox.
SEGA Dreamcast was dead the moment SONY showed off MGS 2 trailer at E3 2000 IMO. I also have to say that while he gets little credit. Mr Moore did a fantastic job at SEGA America
Yeah, that was quite the moment. Truly felt a step beyond anything else we’d seen at the time. I still have my Dreamcast and two or three dozen games packed away. Need to bust it out and play it; it was a hell of a system. I played the shit out of Crazy Taxi and PSO on it

nush

The 32X sealed Sega's fate.

Pretty much, Sega killed Sega. You'd hear it so many times "Sega always drop support for thier consoles" it became the self fulfilling prophecy. It wasn't the hardware, Sony or piracy that killed Dreamcast it was the mountains of debt Sega had built up and SOE, SOA and SOJ constant infighting. Dreamcast could not attain critical mass to overcome the debt and profits from the oversea sales were siphoned off to to service SOJ debt instead of being reinvested in the territories making the profit.

Yeah, that was quite the moment. Truly felt a step beyond anything else we’d seen at the time. I still have my Dreamcast and two or three dozen games packed away. Need to bust it out and play it; it was a hell of a system. I played the shit out of Crazy Taxi and PSO on it

It was a killer moment. Up until that time, most DC games looked as good if not better than PS2 stuff and then Konami came along and blew everything away with an amazing demonstration.
That made everyone want a PS2. Truly a killer moment

Fitzchiv

Microsoft[edit]

Within ONE FUCKING POST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom