• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Tactica has leaked. Persona 3 Remake coming to Xbox Game Pass on Day One.

EDMIX

I enjoyed Persona 5 but I think I’m ready to move on from that game, I don’t need anymore Persona 5 or it’s spin offs.

Same, I'd rather they just port the Persona Q stuff that was on 3DS.

Granted, I'm sure the main Persona team is still working on Persona 6, as the rumor even about Persona 3 remake, was along with Persona 6, so they might be waiting to reveal that at a later date.

mejin

Legit question but do people actually buy Persona on Xbox? I know Switch and PC, and obviously PS5 yes, but Xbox? I feel like Microsoft is marketing the games... for PS5, Switch, and PC lol.

Xbox is a tough sell for any game nowadays, not only japanese games. That's GP for you. But who cares?

Microsoft has been chasing and paying Playstation games for a long time. That's their only way to get support.

team america vomit GIF

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Xbox is a tough sell for any game nowadays, not only japanese games. That's GP for you. But who cares?

Microsoft has been chasing and paying Playstation games for a long time. That's their only way to get support.
Even that I don't see as sustainable. Xbox will only do this for a short period and nope out of this strategy.

Because that goes against common sense.

Console companies don't pay money to developers to bring games to their consoles. They instead earn money (30% cut) when developers sell their games on a console store.

In this case, (1) Xbox is paying Atlus to bring their games to Xbox via a Game Pass deal, and (2) Xbox is not even earning anything later because no one is buying these games on Xbox, especially because the games are on Game Pass.

This is absolutely not sustainable. And the only question is for how long will/can Xbox do this.

Ozriel

M$FT
Even that I don't see as sustainable. Xbox will only do this for a short period and nope out of this strategy.

Console companies don't pay money to developers to bring games to their consoles. They instead earn money (30% cut) when developers sell their games on a console store.

In this case, (1) Xbox is paying Atlus to bring their games to Xbox via a Game Pass deal, and (2) Xbox is not even earning anything later because no one is buying these games on Xbox, especially because the games are on Game Pass.

This is absolutely not sustainable. And the only question is for how long will/can Xbox do this.

Why do so many of you forget that GamePass generates revenue via subscription fees? They need games for the service to retain subscribers. That’s where the money comes from.

They’ve been putting third party games on GP for years now. Doesn’t seem like something they’ll ‘nope out of’ soon.

It can also be argued that seeding out JRPGs to a lot of players might well be the fastest way to grow a userbase friendly to that genre on Xbox…and could have an impact on other games in the genre that aren’t on GP.

cireza

I see that Xbox business experts are there as expected. You guys never get tired ?

Many multi-platform Japanese games have been announced at the Xbox showcases during the last years. This is a good place to get exposure.

Last edited:
I see that Xbox business experts are there as expected. You guys never get tired ?

Many multi-platform Japanese games have been announced at the Xbox showcases during the last years. This is a good place to get exposure.

Also, if MS wants to convince new customers who love JRPGs to buy a XBOX console they need this type of partnerships, otherwise they won't make any progress.

Methos#1975

MS is pretty much funding Switch and PS exclusives at this point, Atlus is playing them for chumps.

Chukhopops

MS is pretty much funding Switch and PS exclusives at this point, Atlus is playing them for chumps.
It seems Atlus / Sega are only doing multiplats those days.

It's the same thing that happened with Yakuza:
- MS pays for the ports and puts them on GP;
- People try the series because it's on GP, find out it's the best series ever;
- New games are now ported to Xbox day 1, and added to GP sometime later;
- Everybody wins.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I do want to hear people's alternatives

MS doesnt pay and does what instead.

Go after a different audience?

Yes. PS and Nintendo have an iron grip for JRPGs and it's heavily associated with those 2 consoles (PC if you want to count it too) + it's a Japanese console (so Japanese games on a Japanese console go hand on hand). But Xbox, no way. They should really go after the WRPG market, not the JRPG market.

reksveks

Yes. PS and Nintendo have an iron grip for JRPGs and it's heavily associated with those 2 consoles (PC if you want to count it too) + it's a Japanese console (so Japanese games on a Japanese console go hand on hand). But Xbox, no way. They should really go after the WRPG market, not the JRPG market.
I would argue that they can walk and chew gum and going after more WRPG probably has slightly less ROI given their first party studios portfolio. They could spend that GP money on first party but we aren't sure how much they are spending.

Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Is this a joke? I see, "Is it coming to Xbox?" when watching PS showcases just as much is not more.
I think he mean pays to withhold the announcement for a certain period.
All platform shows only show that platform in the trailers.
And usually the publisher trailer has all the platforms and is put out the moment it's shown, hence why you see the threads pop on here during the showcase with the multiplatform announcement.
This is what happens at Sony's Showcases.
But MS actually pay for it not to be announced for days, even weeks.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

lol, loving all these gate-keeping takes this Persona news has been getting since yesterday.

I'm glad they're getting these games on the console.

Last edited:

cireza

JRPGs are perfectly fine on Xbox, thank you for me.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
As much as I love P5 i'm not sure that i'll be buying P5T. Gameplay could be great but don't like the design of it.

X-Wing

This is sure a timeline.

What does 'Windows' mean in this context? An MS proprietary platform (... other than Windows, that is) or direct on Windows itself or Steam/GOG/etc. which I'm assuming 'no'.

It means Microsoft probably has a marketing contract, Microsoft doesn't own Steam so showing the steam logo does nothing for them.
They will most likely be on Steam. Atlus would miss out on a huge amount of sales otherwise. No one wants to buy or install games from the Windows store.

Last edited:
It’s not about the shows - they all do that.

I’m talking about not allowing the publishers and developers to discuss other platforms for a number of days AFTER the show. PlayStation doesn’t do that.
Hmm idk maybe. For right now, let’s wait after the show. Then see what they say. Either it full exclusive or not. Sure they all done it.

Hmm idk maybe. For right now, let’s wait after the show. Then see what they say. Either it full exclusive or not. Sure they all done it.
It isn’t fully exclusive. We have last years E3 as evidence of this practice and then now we have an official Atlus instagram leak not mentioning PlayStation and Switch either. Normally the promotion from the publishers at least has the console logos in.

It isn’t fully exclusive. We have last years E3 as evidence of this practice and then now we have an official Atlus instagram leak not mentioning PlayStation and Switch either. Normally the promotion from the publishers at least has the console logos ink least wait
It isn’t fully exclusive. We have last years E3 as evidence of this practice and then now we have an official Atlus instagram leak not mentioning PlayStation and Switch either. Normally the promotion from the publishers at least has the console logos in.
i still least wait after the show. That video wasn’t supposed to be shown and once it’s over, atlus maybe post a new video showing PS logo and such.

gladdys

Nice to see Xbox’s efforts to increase the availability of Japanese made games on their ecosystem paying off.

It seems Atlus / Sega are only doing multiplats those days.

It's the same thing that happened with Yakuza:
- MS pays for the ports and puts them on GP;
- People try the series because it's on GP, find out it's the best series ever;
- New games are now ported to Xbox day 1, and added to GP sometime later;
- Everybody wins.

But where is the money coming from? I mean by that, where is the funding for these Game Pass deals coming from? AFAIK, when Sony does 3P deals, that money can be appropriated to as being covered by PlayStation profits.

We already know Xbox doesn't generate the profits to secure acquisitions the size of ABK, so is the division profitable enough to cover costs for Game Pass deals, or is that money from other parts of the company doing the heavy lifting?

Yes on one hand it isn't important; on the other hand it's a valid question to ask because it also brings up what subsidization strategies are being used and if those can potentially be abused for anticompetitive practices (such as predatory pricing).

It's good MS are getting these games for their subscribers, can't see how it affects anyone else in a negative way.

It could lead people on other platforms to hold off on buying the game Day 1, meaning less unit sales and less B2P revenue. In turn, that would increase the price MS has to pay to get the games on Game Pass, since they'd have to account for drops in B2P sales revenue across all available platforms.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Guess that Sega x Azure strategic partnership back in early 2022 is having some benefits for Xbox with Atlus content, too. Pretty solid gets for them all things considered.

Wonder how it'll go over with some of the core fans in the fanbase not on Xbox. It's a risky move on Atlus's part.
Using their power in one market to gain favour in another 👀 Wait until the regulators hear of this. 😆

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I absolutely hate chibi art as well, but I think it looks different / good here.

The artstyle of the game is on point. I like it!
I dont mind artstyle either since its similar to Persona Q which I enjoyed, but as much as I loved P5, I'm just done with that game.

.........Then again Persona 3 Reload is my 4th time buying Persona 3....
6svSmtf.png

i-have-a-problem-rob-landes.gif

Riky

$MSFT
But where is the money coming from? I mean by that, where is the funding for these Game Pass deals coming from? AFAIK, when Sony does 3P deals, that money can be appropriated to as being covered by PlayStation profits.

We already know Xbox doesn't generate the profits to secure acquisitions the size of ABK, so is the division profitable enough to cover costs for Game Pass deals, or is that money from other parts of the company doing the heavy lifting?

Yes on one hand it isn't important; on the other hand it's a valid question to ask because it also brings up what subsidization strategies are being used and if those can potentially be abused for anticompetitive practices (such as predatory pricing).

It could lead people on other platforms to hold off on buying the game Day 1, meaning less unit sales and less B2P revenue. In turn, that would increase the price MS has to pay to get the games on Game Pass, since they'd have to account for drops in B2P sales revenue across all available platforms.

The money comes from Microsoft, who own Xbox it's called cross subsidy and almost every large business does it, common practice. But I'm sure Spencer said Gamepass is profitable and he'd probably know. Also since the ABK purchase is a balance sheet item and Xbox wouldn't have its own balance sheet it's unimportant.

As for gamers not buying day one, it would have to be multiplatform owners who have Gamepass and that's quite unquantifiable by any measure, so irrelevant.

The money comes from Microsoft, who own Xbox it's called cross subsidy and almost every large business does it, common practice. But I'm sure Spencer said Gamepass is profitable and he'd probably know. Also since the ABK purchase is a balance sheet item and Xbox wouldn't have its own balance sheet it's unimportant.

If Game Pass is genuinely profitable, why have they not shared profits or even subscription revenue with investors? Actions speak louder than words here.

And yes I am aware of cross-subsidy, companies like Sony did that when launching the PS1. However Xbox is unique in terms of how long Microsoft have utilized cash revenue and profits from other, healthier divisions to help sustain it. On its own merits, Xbox would have been shut down over a decade ago.

As for gamers not buying day one, it would have to be multiplatform owners who have Gamepass and that's quite unquantifiable by any measure, so irrelevant.

No, not really. It could also be single-system owners who decide to buy the game at a sales discount, or wait for it to show up in the subscription service of their console later down the line.

Those are other options in addition to multi-console owners with Game Pass who would just play it on Game Pass (or if it's also something Day 1 in PC Game Pass, play it that way). Even mobile access via xCloud might be an option for some since games like Persona 3 Remake aren't visually intensive and aren't competitive titles that rely on twitch inputs and minimum network or input latency.

feynoob

Banned
If Game Pass is genuinely profitable, why have they not shared profits or even subscription revenue with investors? Actions speak louder than words here.

And yes I am aware of cross-subsidy, companies like Sony did that when launching the PS1. However Xbox is unique in terms of how long Microsoft have utilized cash revenue and profits from other, healthier divisions to help sustain it. On its own merits, Xbox would have been shut down over a decade ago.
Because you are a gamer.
This kind of stuff is for investors.

I just realized it's called Persona 3 Reload because it's referencing reloading your gun. So shooting yourself in the head is staying in the game, thank God.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

No, not really. It could also be single-system owners who decide to buy the game at a sales discount, or wait for it to show up in the subscription service of their console later down the line.

Those are other options in addition to multi-console owners with Game Pass who would just play it on Game Pass (or if it's also something Day 1 in PC Game Pass, play it that way). Even mobile access via xCloud might be an option for some since games like Persona 3 Remake aren't visually intensive and aren't competitive titles that rely on twitch inputs and minimum network or input latency.

Bro, don't you get tired of posting the same thing in like every one of these threads ? You have an incredible amount of concern for game pass's profitability all the time.

The money comes from Microsoft, Xbox's parent company. Why do you need to hypothesize a scenario where Xbox is spun off into its own division to try and create a narrative point ?

If they're willing to make deals with publishers to get games like this on game pass day 1, it was done with mutual agreement from both sides.

If Sega is happy with the arrangement, nothing else really matters.

Last edited:
Top Bottom