• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Royal is so underrated

I really wanted to get into it (havent tried Royale) but I got so bored after 10hrs. Not sure why but P4 Golden grabbed me so much, maybe because I played it on my Vita so it was a relaxing game I played in my bed and the whole experience was different from couch gaming.

LakeOf9

I really wanted to get into it (havent tried Royale) but I got so bored after 10hrs. Not sure why but P4 Golden grabbed me so much, maybe because I played it on my Vita so it was a relaxing game I played in my bed and the whole experience was different from couch gaming.
P5R is amazing on Steam Deck (by all accounts) and Switch (where I am playing it). Definitely recommend it portable too, 120 hours on TV or desk would kill me

Go_Ly_Dow

Completed Persona 5 about 3 years ago before the Royal version was out and just finished YouTubing Royal.

The additions are excellent. I wish I could have played this version from the get go.

Last edited:

killatopak

I have 500 hours spent on this game. 100+ on vanilla and 300+ on Royale.

It's exactly where it should be. It is however overrated among the Persona imo story wise but I feel like that's just preference speaking. I have no problem with Tartarus or the Fog but some people just vastly enjoy handcrafted dungeons which could make the difference.

laynelane

It's exactly where it should be. It is however overrated among the Persona imo story wise but I feel like that's just preference speaking. I have no problem with Tartarus or the Fog but some people just vastly enjoy handcrafted dungeons which could make the difference.

I liked that they changed the enemy types in P5. It fits well with the themes in the story, as well. The negotiating was also a welcome addition. Agreed on the Fog and Tartarus. I enjoyed the change in scenery and music in the Fog quite a bit as we went from location to location.

Oh man, I have Persona 5 on my backlog but you are making me second guess if instead of that I should wait until I get Royal...
Wow. Forget the original dude. I never played it but I know what they added to the story and it’s probably the best part of the game and an amazing add on.

IAmRei

I don't think it's underrated, people often say persona this persona that, up to the point almost annoying for me.
The game itself is great, one of the best RPG, especially not many RPG that not use fantasy settings that are well received by people.
I wish there are more RPG using urban setting such as Yakuza Like a Dragon and Persona (i know there are more, but people often sterotyped RPG with fantasy settings).

Loop 8 coming few months ago, btw

Three

I definitely preferred the handcrafted dungeons. Besides, in P5 you had the randomly generated dungeons of mementos plus the revistable handcrafted ones.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I played it like normal, but... ended up getting a bad ending.. I don't know what happened. I need to replay it. I have it platinumed on PS4. (The Original)

Last edited:

TastyPastry

recently started playing it after finishing persona 4 for the first time last year and i got a little overwhelmed. should i negotiate, use my persona, use the gun or melee attack enemies? things don't really get explained that well

Is it still 50% japanese dating sim and 50% babys first dungeon crawler?

I keep attempting to try Persona given how highly it's rated - but the first SEVERAL hours of gameplay is no different than Dream Daddy and I just can't get through it.

Last edited:
Is it really underrated? It's on many Top 10 lists and people generally speak very highly about Persona 5 and Royal in general.
Took the words right out of my mouth
Is it still 50% japanese dating sim and 50% babys first dungeon crawler?

I keep attempting to try Persona given how highly it's rated - but the first SEVERAL hours of gameplay is no different than Dream Daddy and I just can't get through it.
Idk, it was my first dating sim and I like the character interactions, the dungeon crawling component is a bit of a drag. I only made it half way through the game before I took a "1 month break" that has lasted 3/4ths of a year

It's still a good game imho, when I was into it I was really into it.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I really didn’t care for it tbh. Great OST but I like p3 and p4 way more. I hope people who only played 5 try the remake of 3.

hyperbertha

It's thoroughly overrated. Played for 55 hours, boring. Simplistic linear dungeons, cookie cutter plot written for kids with cliche villains.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Bought it twice, havent finished it once.

Jq5kMKC.jpg

zImEZLo.jpg

youre-a-fucking-disappointment-soldier-boy.gif

/s (or am I)

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
It isnt underrated at all what the fuck lol

People are all well aware of that games quality

Just because you’re late to it doesn’t make it “underrated.”

Rran

I enjoyed the vanilla one well enough but I had major problems with its script ("evil adults," ugh), pacing ("Should we steal their heart today?" texts), and the last like 20 hours (religion, amirite guys?). Does Royal fix that stuff or just add more content? Because there was already plenty to do in the original game.

P4 is still my favorite in the series. Better cast, writing and story and while P5 had better dungeons, I liked the higher challenge level of P4 more.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
I enjoyed the vanilla one well enough but I had major problems with its script ("evil adults," ugh), pacing ("Should we steal their heart today?" texts), and the last like 20 hours (religion, amirite guys?). Does Royal fix that stuff or just add more content? Because there was already plenty to do in the original game.

P4 is still my favorite in the series. Better cast, writing and story and while P5 had better dungeons, I liked the higher challenge level of P4 more.
Royal just adds even more. About an extra 20 hours or so. Took me ~150 hours to complete.

Granted it came out 2 weeks into lockdowns so I was glad it was longer.

I am in agreement. I played the original when it first came out. Thought it was great but had my gripes. P5R cemented it in my top 5 games of all time though.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I am in agreement. I played the original when it first came out. Thought it was great but had my gripes. P5R cemented it in my top 5 games of all time though.
I enjoyed P5 but my biggest grip with that game is even in hardest difficulty you are way overpowered and I was hoping in Royal they would fix that but instead they give you even more tools make even MORE overpowered....like pre-attacking even you are far away with your grappling hook AND when you do that the enemy will suffer from status aliment......WHY!!?

Last edited:
Top Bottom