• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Royal is so underrated

LakeOf9

I played the original Persona 5 and I liked it a lot, but the pacing and writing issues stopped me from falling as in love with it as everyone else was.

I mostly skipped P5R because it just seemed like P5 but with a DLC episode added at the end, and I didn't feel like sitting through all of P5 again. But then P5R was on sale just recently so I finally got it and...

This shit is amazing? Like it feels like they totally remade the entire game. Everything seems to be different, gameplay during battles is different, dungeons are completely different, bosses are totally different (not always better), movement abilities is different, stealth is different, the story seems to be greatly expanded from the first minute, and they add so many new areas in the world and so much more to do. My mind is blown, it almost feels like Persona 5 Royal is the real game, and Persona 5 was just a demo or trial run.

I can't really explain it, but Persona 5 Royal might actually be the best RPG ever, whereas Persona 5 felt more overrated than worthy its hype. How does no one talk about Royal as much as they should? It feels like it just came and went, and people dont really acknowledge how different it is.

Last edited:

A.Romero

Oh man, I have Persona 5 on my backlog but you are making me second guess if instead of that I should wait until I get Royal...

LakeOf9

Oh man, I have Persona 5 on my backlog but you are making me second guess if instead of that I should wait until I get Royal...
100% play Royal over the original. The original is basically made totally pointless after Royal, anyone who has the chance to should absolutely play Royal over the original

One of the very best games ever made, but to say it's "underrated" is just not true in any sense. Amazing scores and heavily discussed, with tons of publicity. More so than most other jrpgs, in fact.
I didn't know it was even reviewed separately, but I actually just looked it up and okay, now I feel a little dumb

Pelao

I'm sure it must be much better than the original game, but since I already beat Persona 5, I find it hard to dedicate another 100 hours to it. I already tried when they added it to Gamepass and didn't get very far. The same thing happened to me with Dragon Quest 11. They are probably a very good option for those who didn't play the original versions, but I don't know if most of the people who did will come back to replay these improved versions of long RPGs.

Ozzie666

Did they really change a lot of the main game in some many ways? That is what is holding me back, going through the entire game for a third or fourth time. I also believed it was just a few months tagged on as DLC. So is the core game different enough to pick it up again?

Gambit2483

mJhL3jw.gif

LakeOf9

Did they really change a lot of the main game in some many ways? That is what is holding me back, going through the entire game for a third or fourth time. I also believed it was just a few months tagged on as DLC. So is the core game different enough to pick it up again?
Like, everything seems to be improved and changed this time. The core story and characters is of course same, but the battles have new changes, the dungeons have new layouts, the bosses are different, the world has new areas, there are new activities, and even the story and characters have expansions from the first minute.

I honestly dont know what Atlus was thinking with releasing the original persona 5, royal feels like the game they had wanted to make all along. I wonder if the PS3 held them back, but Royal is on Switch, so maybe that's not it

laynelane

There's a lot of gameplay changes - things have been added - tools, moves for Joker, etc. Stuff like the baton pass has been refined and is now much more useful too. Boss fights have had changes, some small and some vary greatly from the original. Mementos has a secret boss fight, different musical tracks (hooray!), and a mini-game associated with it now. There's the addition of new characters, the expansion of an older one, a whole new area on the map and associated activities, and you're given much more freedom in your daily life than the original. I greatly enjoyed it and have already gone through it more than once.

Fools idol

Banned
can someone sumarise what to expect from this game? I have never played any of them, is it your usual jrpg fare with a ridiculous story and good-enough-to-carry-the-game turn based combat?

whats the gist. Is it like dragon quest? Final fantasy?

Last edited:

laynelane

Like, everything seems to be improved and changed this time. The core story and characters is of course same, but the battles have new changes, the dungeons have new layouts, the bosses are different, the world has new areas, there are new activities, and even the story and characters have expansions from the first minute.

I honestly dont know what Atlus was thinking with releasing the original persona 5, royal feels like the game they had wanted to make all along. I wonder if the PS3 held them back, but Royal is on Switch, so maybe that's not it

They did the same with Persona 3 and 4. Released the game and later released an expanded version.

LakeOf9

Try Persona 4 Golden.
I played that in 2020, I loved it (at the time I thought more than 5)

can someone sumarise what to expect from this game? I have never played any of them, is it your usual jrpg fare with a ridiculous story and good-enough-to-carry-the-game turn based combat?

whats the gist.
so the game is like a mix of an RPG, an adventure game, and something like the sims. you play out a whole year of the main character's life. you have to manage his time, he goes to school attends classes, studies, does his homework, even part time jobs. But he also has free time, he can hang out with friends, even romance the girls and get a girlfriend, he can go out on dates, or just hang out, watch movies, read a book, play video games, play baseball, stuff like that.

but the twist is, the character is also like a superhero who can use inception style powers to invade the hearts of corrupt people and force them to change and become better people. these parts play out as a normal jrpg, with dungeons, puzzles, and battles. battle in this game is turn based, but every action is mapped to a single button, so it ends up basically playing like action combat (it is turn based but it's so quick it doesnt feel like it).

Now the real trick is, the real world stuff and the superhero stuff are related - the superhero stuff takes up time, time you can spend in the real world, and the other way around also. but you have to do both, you can't ignore either. the superhero dungeon stuff is what progresses the story, but your activities in the daily life stuff actually make you stronger. if you hang out with friends, you do better in battle and they do too. If you do stuff to pass your time, like playing darts or swimming or whatever, your stats in battle improve. you can't ignore anything, so the game ends up being half like the sims, half jrpg, and half time and resource management (I know that's three halves but I dont know how else to explain it). it's a stupidly addictive gameplay loop and persona 5 royal takes it to its absolute perfect form. the amount of polish and consideration to even the smallest things are mind blowing.

I can't do it justice. you have to play it, its a masterpiece

They did the same with Persona 3 and 4. Released the game and later released an expanded version.
but those actually were like goty ultimate versions right? or were they basically full remakes like royal is?

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I really, REALLY enjoyed the game, my only criticism is I wish it was more difficult.

When it comes combat, I like SMTV much more.

Sakura

I personally thought P5R was incredibly disappointing.
I think you are greatly exaggerating the changes. The dungeons are streamlined a bit sure, but completely different...? They added some places you can use the grappling hook, maybe remove some rooms/make it a bit shorter, but the dungeons are still like 90% the same.

LakeOf9

I love Atlus games, but also acknowledge they've got an MO for getting more money out of customers. I'm one of them lol. I always buy the games when they release and inevitably the later version too.
The original version is good too (I mean for P5, I dont know how it was for P3 and 4). I think it was overrated, but it was still a good game, I could see why P5 is loved, I just didnt love it as much myself.

If 3 and 4 originals are also at least that good, I dont mind Atlus taking two tries each time

saintjules

I wanted to play Royal but after playing through the base game, I just couldn't think of doing another 100+hr playthrough again.

Futurematic

I didn’t finish Persona 5 and still bought R version and also didn’t finish lol. Welp 140 hours of my life later I guess I mildly like them
That zero upgrade for tiny patch PS5 version was a kick in the teeth though

Ulysses 31

I think P5R makes things too easy with all the added attacks you get and you need to read on how to unlock the extra palace unless you don't mind multiple playthroughs... 👀

JayK47

Hmmm. I'll keep that in mind. I played P5 and did not see the value in buying it again. It is also a really long game with a goofy ending.

StereoVsn

P5R is not underrated. It's been well covered by pretty much everyone, and is regarded as one of the best JRPGs around.

Personally I think it's overrated if anything. It just drags on in places and I like the crew less vs P4. Still, it's a very good game, but not underrated, lol.

Last edited:
Persona is by far the most hyped and overrated JRPG series, there's nothing underrated about it. Most Westerners have basically played 2 JRPG franchises in their entire life, Final Fantasy and Persona. They aren't even aware that JRPG is a whole genre beyond those 2 franchises.

Persona has grown longer and more bloated over the years and the actual quality of story has declined. Persona 3 had the best story of the 3D era, 4 and 5 only got progressively worse.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I really need to cram persona 4 and 5, but every time I considered it, a new version was coming out

I think we're good on P4 and 5 re-releases for now lol. P3 remake is the next hotness but who can safely guess when it will come out. Could be 2023, could be 2027. Atlus is not good at release schedules.

Fbh

Because when you release a super long game and then 2 years later you release an enhanced version of that same super long game the vast majority of people who will play it are:

- Mega fans who want to buy the game a second time and spend another 100+ hours on it: So they were probably already telling everyone it's amazing since the OG release
- New players who didn't play the original and thus have no point of reference

I'm probably in the minority but I hate the way Atlus releases games

Last edited:

Raven117

I'm sure it must be much better than the original game, but since I already beat Persona 5, I find it hard to dedicate another 100 hours to it. I already tried when they added it to Gamepass and didn't get very far. The same thing happened to me with Dragon Quest 11. They are probably a very good option for those who didn't play the original versions, but I don't know if most of the people who did will come back to replay these improved versions of long RPGs.
This. I absolutely loved P5 but I’m not going through another 100 hour rpg again

Top Bottom