• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Superfan JayzTwoCents: "Maybe a PS5 is more my flavor at the moment"

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
have you see a DF video in the past few years? They have to zoom 400% to find differences.
They zoom in for people on mobile devices.
Compare tlou1 remake ps5 to pc. Even on ultra, maxed out... the ps5 looks the same or even better (due to bugs on pc).
Because it's an incompetent job. TLOU Part I looks damn near identical on Normal and Ultra to the point that people are wondering if the settings aren't broken.

1tMkYhK.png

qNdcPzE.png

rt_buildings_1_720.png

oR4gqiM.png

juY6Xma.png

E2fXRp4.png
r4IMzA7.png

Then again, you're the same guy who wants 30fps and calls it smooth with shitty motion blur, but then bitches about DLSS 3 frame generation "adding latency".

Last edited:

GymWolf

Even Gotham Knights and Callisto Protocol at launch?
I didn't had my current pc for knights and i played callisto on ps5 and it had way more stuttering than hogwarts and dead space (that i played on the new pc).

The worse pc port that i played this year is jedi survivor and from the df ps5 analysis i'm pretty sure that i'm still playing way better than console only players.(didn't tried tlou remake)

Most People on console have lower standards so even if they have broken games they can barely notice it, you don't need to go further than returnal that was losing 20-30 frames during combat and people thought the technical side was pristine, fucking hell:lollipop_grinning_sweat:
Or just take a look at all the people in the jedi survivor topic that were saying "on console the game runs fine" before df video revealed how fucking stinky the console version was...

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

DualSense is a fantastic controller, but I have no idea why keyboard/mouse support continues to evade consoles. Not like it's hard to implement.
I play COD and Fortnite on KB/M on my PS5, it's not a universal feature, but most competitive shooters allows them as input method. Even on PC I only use KB/M for those same games, to everything else I prefer the controller. But I get your point, and the answer is likely that this is a feature with very low demand that don't even worth the time in QA to implement.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
DualSense is a fantastic controller, but I have no idea why keyboard/mouse support continues to evade consoles. Not like it's hard to implement.
I'd be perfectly fine for it to only work in the single-player parts of games too.

I completely understand having a standard experience for multiplayer, but just let me have my KB/mouse for SP!

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I mean if you're exceeding VRAM then turned down texture settings, a tale as old as time.
This isnt just a vram issue. It's vram not being properly utilized. Just today Alex pointed out all the issues with 8GB cards that are showing worse textures than the PS360 generation in games like Forspoken. He also mentioned hogwarts which has awful texture streaming issues on 8GB cards. He even mentioned RE4 which was literally crashing even if you were 2GB below the vram limit in their ingame slider as soon as you turned the RT on. It was patched but now the game crashes even with RT off. Now, you have to keep textures quality at 1GB on 8 cards even with RT off to ensure you never randomly go over their allotted vram usage. That causes a lot of pop-in where you see objects go through the various LODs in front you.

Timestamped:

VRAM related crashes should never happen. Ever. Thats poor quality control. Textures should not default to PS2 quality textures on medium like they do in TLOU. They should not fail to load on 8GB cards like Forspoken and Hogwarts do.

I shouldnt have to settle for 2GB of textures with RT off at 1440p when my vram can clearly handle 8GB like it did at launch. But ever since the last patch, I cant even go with 4-6GB textures which basically means LOD pop-in every time i enter a new area.

PC gaming is different. If your GPU cant handle 4k 60 fps, it drops to 50 fps or 40 fps. It doesnt crash. I am playing Jedi right now. I saw 40% GPU utilization last night in one area. 100% in another. It's understandable that games have different rendering budgets in different levels. Imagine if it crashed everytime the GPU utilization maxed out? RE4's vram hovers around 6-7GB most of the time, they need to ensure that when you do go over you dont crash. Drop the framerate, drop the resolution, do LOD pop-in dynamically for that 1% low instead of forcing me to play with the LOD pop-in 99% of the time.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
They zoom in for people on mobile devices.

Because it's an incompetent job. TLOU Part I looks damn near identical on Normal and Ultra to the point that people are wondering if the settings aren't broken.

1tMkYhK.png

qNdcPzE.png

rt_buildings_1_720.png

oR4gqiM.png

juY6Xma.png

E2fXRp4.png
r4IMzA7.png

Then again, you're the same guy who wants 30fps and calls it smooth with shitty motion blur, but then bitches about DLSS 3 frame generation "adding latency".
cherry picked. Returnal is one good example yet I still dont think it looks that different to tell them apart without direct comapring. The game is also not the same game. It's an updated version and ps5 never received the updates. it's not 1 to 1.
Spider man you also picked one shot of rt reflections that is laughably moving the goal post.... All other parts of the game look the same or better on ps5 due to faster loading textures.
Doesn't prove anything.
That witcher 3 screenshot is also disingenious as fuck, compressed and so on. It's also an nvidia game so it's cd projekt fault that the animals dont have any fur on consoles. seriously wtf cdprojekt

For the most part, everything looks the same on ps5. The differences are never worth it spending money on pc and waste nerves.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

cherry picked. Returnal is one good example yet I still dont think it looks that different to tell them apart without direct comapring. The game is also not the same game. It's an updated version and ps5 never received the updates. it's not 1 to 1.
Spider man you also picked one shot of rt reflections that is laughably moving the goal post.... All other parts of the game look the same or better on ps5 due to faster loading textures.
Doesn't prove anything.
That witcher 3 screenshot is also disingenious as fuck, compressed and so on. It's also an nvidia game so it's cd projekt fault that the animals dont have any fur on consoles. seriously wtf cdprojekt

For the most part, everything looks the same on ps5. The differences are never worth it spending money on pc and waste nerves.

Iron Man Eye Roll GIF

Sure, looks the same

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Iron Man Eye Roll GIF

Sure, looks the same
Yes. Pretty much the same outside of the cherry picked crap.
We can play this game other way around and we can post pics of places in games looking better on ps5.
He can't just post compressed witcher 3 screenshot from performance mode or crap like that and call it a day. It's nothing.

The games look the same across ps5 and pc. Surely not 2000$ worth of difference

Buggy Loop

We can play this game other way around and we can post pics of places in games looking better on ps5.
He can't just post compressed witcher 3 screenshot from performance mode or crap like that and call it a day. It's nothing.

Then if DF proves you match console settings, again, you can't tell the different, then why are you giving the narrative you need $2000 for it? A fucking A770 will match console equivalent settings.

Why stop there, why even buy a PS5? Most of it are also available on PS4, can barely tell the difference!

You're useless Rofif. Never seen such a PC troll.

DF should hire you to save time, here's the comparison between PC and PS5 "it's the same"

Ray Charles Laugh GIF

Last edited:

Gaiff

Doesn't prove anything.

The gist of this post: If you don't acknowledge the differences, there are none. Those are comparison videos of the same scenes lol.

And you have the nerve to call those screenshots cherry-picked and disingenuous when again, you're the same guy who cries about DLSS 3 latency but is fine playing with shit motion blur and 100ms+ lag at 30fps.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Completely irrelevant if you’re spending the money to play games. You can run office or whatever on your phone. Outside of some AI applications I can’t think of anything that needs more than an iGPU.
Well, not quite, even in gaming alone you have way more options to customize your experience than on consoles, last game I modded was Tales of Zestiria which is 30 fps only on everything but I can get 60 fps on PC now... On PS5 I'd have to use a symmetric sticks controller with no choice, on PC I can use it or use a Xbox controller... Or a freaking dance dance revolution carpet. On a console equivalent PC, I can optimize graphics so I can get 60 fps on games that run at 30 or 40 at most on console, which is mostly due to CPU bottleneck, on PC the cheap CPUs are those equivalent or still better than console's so given enough GPU power you can bypass it by tinkering graphic options... Hell not even so.

There are advantages on PC gaming alone beyond consoles, you don't even have to use your PC for multitasking yet you have the option.

The thing is that those that prefer PC gaming hate being removed from options, in console you don't even have options so you just have to eat what they provide, saying it's better because on PC you have to be more conscious of how you get your experience is like saying old TV broadcast is better than Netflix because you don't have to think what to watch since you don't have any option anyway beyond zapping through channels provided content.

People that prefer consoles don't care about those options, they don't want options, is like the old C++ vs Java argument, the former prefer to own more control over the product for best experience while the latter mostly care about doing the thing and call it a day.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Then if DF proves you match console settings, again, you can't tell the different, then why are you giving the narrative you need $2000 for it? A fucking A770 will match console equivalent settings.

Why stop there, why even buy a PS5? Most of it are also available on PS4, can barely tell the difference!

You're useless Rofif. Never seen such a PC troll.

DF should hire you to save time, here's the comparison between PC and PS5 "it's the same"

Ray Charles Laugh GIF
Stop trolling and play on your 400$ pc then.
What's with all the pc apologists magically claiming that a770 is ps5 level and you can play on a 400$ pc. Are you insecure about your pc or something?
Play on your fucking 4000$ pc and enjoy 15% sharper image + bugs + stuttering + all the other problems. What's the deal with all of you.
You act like if there were any meaningless differences between visuals of ps5 and pc games. Bit of sharpness here and there does not constitute worthy difference.
In my opinion, graphics on pc nowadays are barely if ever worth it for how little better (it at all) they can look. You pay thousands for little improvements.

I bet none of you bootlickers would be able to tell the difference between versions without labels outside of edge cases.

SlimySnake

I didn't had my current pc for knights and i played callisto on ps5 and it had way more stuttering than hogwarts and dead space (that i played on the new pc).

The worse pc port that i played this year is jedi survivor and from the df ps5 analysis i'm pretty sure that i'm still playing way better than console only players.(didn't tried tlou remake)

Most People on console have lower standards so even if they have broken games they can barely notice it, you don't need to go further than returnal that was losing 20-30 frames during combat and people thought the technical side was pristine, fucking hell:lollipop_grinning_sweat:
Or just take a look at all the people in the jedi survivor topic that were saying "on console the game runs fine" before df video revealed how fucking stinky the console version was...
My friend who is playing on PS5 told me it was dropping below 20 fps. I posted that here and people jumped down my throat. I am like why would i make this up lmao. Thank god Digital Foundry found evidence of this.

I think this kind of dismissing of other opinions is pretty common though. Probably because of just how many different PC hardware combinations there might be. We have seen the 4090 struggle to maintain a locked 60 fps in star wars. But if you pair it up with the latest 6 Ghz CPUs, it runs like a charm. So when you get people with faster 40 series cards or AMD cards with a lot of vram not running into any issues, they will obviously dismiss what everyone else is running into.

I also noticed that A LOT of youtubers are now reviewing 30 series cards as 1080p cards. Then recommending they turn settings down to medium. Like wtf. These were $500+ cards just last year. 1080p medium is the best they can do? What are they consoles? Well consoles use higher quality textures so they are below console quality. We havent even started getting true next gen only games. What happens then?

I have been gaming on PC since 2003 when i built my PC for Half Life 2 which eventually got delayed for a year. I expect some issues. But one thing that I noticed was that the quality of PC ports was generally improving every gen. My GTX 570 ran every PS360 game at 1080p 60 fps at high settings. Even Games For Windows Live titles like Arkham Origins. ON day one. There were some fuck ups like Rage but they were eventually patched and ran perfectly. My 2080 in 2018 did the same thing. Ran everything that ran at 1080p 30 fps on PS4 at 1440p 60 fps or 4k 60 fps depending on the game. Day one. Even fucking Anthem. Just a smooth experience 99% of the time.

Now 99% of the time, its headaches, constant config file adjustments. And 1% of the time its like ok, that game shipped without any issues. Looking back, Elden Rings of all games was issue free on day one. Thats just unacceptable for someone like me who is done with games in 1-2 weeks.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The gist of this post: If you don't acknowledge the differences, there are none. Those are comparison videos of the same scenes lol.

And you have the nerve to call those screenshots cherry-picked and disingenuous when again, you're the same guy who cries about DLSS 3 latency but is fine playing with shit motion blur and 100ms+ lag at 30fps.
DLSS3 adds latency. It's just how it works.
I don't care for barely existing differences. no shit ferrari can go faster than my hyundai. But with the same road speed limit, they are the same. And games are the speed limit here.
Barely any game is using pc power for anything else than higher resolution of the game and rt and these are meningless differences more often than not. You can't disagree with that.
I am not blind to lag. I am the first one to call shit 30fps vsynced limits on games like demons souls 30fps mode. Some of the worst 30fps modes this gen.
Ignorance is bliss you know.
And again with motion blur bashing... Motion blur is why 30 looks so much better. You are only showing your lack of knowledge by constantly bashing motion blur in every post.
I love good motion blur. It's a fantastic effect if done well. At 30, 60 and even 120fps. You dont need it 240hz and +

GymWolf

My friend who is playing on PS5 told me it was dropping below 20 fps. I posted that here and people jumped down my throat. I am like why would i make this up lmao. Thank god Digital Foundry found evidence of this.

I think this kind of dismissing of other opinions is pretty common though. Probably because of just how many different PC hardware combinations there might be. We have seen the 4090 struggle to maintain a locked 60 fps in star wars. But if you pair it up with the latest 6 Ghz CPUs, it runs like a charm. So when you get people with faster 40 series cards or AMD cards with a lot of vram not running into any issues, they will obviously dismiss what everyone else is running into.

I also noticed that A LOT of youtubers are now reviewing 30 series cards as 1080p cards. Then recommending they turn settings down to medium. Like wtf. These were $500+ cards just last year. 1080p medium is the best they can do? What are they consoles? Well consoles use higher quality textures so they are below console quality. We havent even started getting true next gen only games. What happens then?

I have been gaming on PC since 2003 when i built my PC for Half Life 2 which eventually got delayed for a year. I expect some issues. But one thing that I noticed was that the quality of PC ports was generally improving every gen. My GTX 570 ran every PS360 game at 1080p 60 fps at high settings. Even Games For Windows Live titles like Arkham Origins. ON day one. There were some fuck ups like Rage but they were eventually patched and ran perfectly. My 2080 in 2018 did the same thing. Ran everything that ran at 1080p 30 fps on PS4 at 1440p 60 fps or 4k 60 fps depending on the game. Day one. Even fucking Anthem. Just a smooth experience 99% of the time.

Now 99% of the time, its headaches, constant config file adjustments. And 1% of the time its like ok, that game shipped without any issues. Looking back, Elden Rings of all games was issue free on day one. Thats just unacceptable for someone like me who is done with games in 1-2 weeks.
Lol if i had my old 2070super\8600k, this year would have been super rough to me:lollipop_squinting:

Last edited:

Zathalus

Doesn't prove anything.

Games that look significantly better on PC for releases just this year:

Forspoken (drops to 720p on PS5).
Dead Space (drops to 800p on PS5).
Resident Evil 4 Remake (blur city on PS5).
Jedi Survivor (drops below 720p).
Cyberpunk (obvious)

Let's not pretend the visual differences are always minor.

//DEVIL//

What's with all the pc apologists magically claiming that a770 is ps5 level and you can play on a 400$ pc. Are you insecure about your pc or something?
Play on your fucking 4000$ pc and enjoy 15% sharper image + bugs + stuttering + all the other problems. What's the deal with all of you.
You act like if there were any meaningless differences between visuals of ps5 and pc games. Bit of sharpness here and there does not constitute worthy difference.
In my opinion, graphics on pc nowadays are barely if ever worth it for how little better (it at all) they can look. You pay thousands for little improvements.

I bet none of you bootlickers would be able to tell the difference between versions without labels outside of edge cases.
Man the only person here trolling is you. Like 5 people already corrected you but you still at it.

I am really surprised why they didn't take rights to post in here from you yet. Like damn.

If you can't afford a PC that's fine. But don't compare a PS5 to a PC. . like wtf is wrong with you ? They are not even close. Better texture better frames higher resolution better ray tracing better lighting ,, Like .. shut up already God damn.

You probably can't tell the difference between a PS3 and vita ffs.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Games that look significantly better on PC for releases just this year:

Forspoken (drops to 720p on PS5).
Dead Space (drops to 800p on PS5).
Resident Evil 4 Remake (blur city on PS5).
Jedi Survivor (drops below 720p).
Cyberpunk (obvious)

Let's not pretend the visual differences are always minor.
Not to me. Depends which mode you are using on ps5 too.
Forspoken was patched and runs beter
Dead Space had vrs removed
re4 had image quality patched a bit supposedly.
Jedi and cyberpunk I have no idea.

Still. It's usually only shit FSR on ps5 vs better DLSS or native on pc. I still wouldn't call it significant.
The lack of optimization on consoles is disappointing though

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Man the only person here trolling is you. Like 5 people already corrected you but you still at it.

I am really surprised why they didn't take rights to post in here from you yet. Like damn.

If you can't afford a PC that's fine. But don't compare a PS5 to a PC. . like wtf is wrong with you ? They are not even close. Better texture better frames higher resolution. Like .. shut up already God damn.

You probably can't tell the difference between a PS3 and vita ffs.
How is 3080 pc "not affording" a pc? What are you smoking?! I got that gpu the week it released. I hunted it for a week dude
I could get a 4090 tomrrow if I wanted. I choose not to invest in this crapshoot of a pc gaming. That's it.
I accept any lower res or fps I get on console for the peace of mind. What is so hard to udnerstand.
And your point about better textures is miesrable. If anything, pc is struggling with textures this gen. If You watched some comparison videos, you would see textures are often identical.

I agree on resolution and fps. But a degree to which this is significant is debatable to me
edit: Oh and I will 100% get thread locked out of here, so enjoy my company while you still can lol

Last edited:

SlimySnake

BTW, I watched the video over the weekend, and his issue is more than just bad PC ports. It's everything to do with the industry including:

- Nvidia and AMD price hikes
- Insane exploding CPUs, power supplies, GPU power connectors melting, and other critical failures... all in the last 12 months
- The shady way PC manufacturers across the board deal with these issues

One of the shadiest things I saw recently was AMD delaying their cheaper $400 CPU by two months because they wanted to sell the more expensive $650 CPU that offered the same performance. Literally the same performance. They chose not to announce it and let unsuspecting buyers pay an extra $250 for nothing.

Just last year, these B560 motherboards shipped with power limiters on the CPU socket that capped the power of CPUs to 65 watts. Thats not in the motherboard spec. Luckily I had paid $200 for a higher end B560 mobo but people who paid $100 thinking its the same motherboard with fewer features got fucked.

JayzTwoCents mentioned just a lack of quality control and cost cutting in the hardware space, and I can attest to this. In 2021, my CPU, motherboard, and RAM all went out. I had these things connected securely to the surge protectors and while my PS5, tv, soundbar, switch and everything else connected to the same outlet had no issues, the PC parts just died. I spent a lot of time returning case fans because they had really bad humming noise that turned out to be manufacturing defects. I almost never return stuff so it was really weird to have to initiatie that many returns at microcenter and amazon.

This is not just about pc ports.

Gaiff

How is 3080 pc "not affording" a pc? What are you smoking?! I got that gpu the week it released. I hunted it for a week dude
I could get a 4090 tomrrow if I wanted. I choose not to invest in this crapshoot of a pc gaming. That's it.
I accept any lower res or fps I get on console for the peace of mind. What is so hard to udnerstand.
And your point about better textures is miesrable. If anything, pc is struggling with textures this gen. If You watched some comparison videos, you would see textures are often identical.

I agree on resolution and fps. But a degree to which this is significant is debatable to me
edit: Oh and I will 100% get thread locked out of here, so enjoy my company while you still can lol
IMG_0246.jpg

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Doesn't prove anything.

this post made me laugh tho. This is what pc gaming has become.. digital fuck foundry pixel peeping.

Puscifer

I'm playing Returnal on PC and I can tell you it's an obvious difference, the game world just feels fuller and a lot of it likely has to do with me running it at 4K and not 1080 checkerboard rendering upscaled like on PS5.

Puscifer

Doesn't prove anything.

So why, if you don't feel like PC is worth the effort, would you invest in high end parts only just to shit on them? Might as buy a PS5 and a Chromebook

OverHeat

« generous god »

You forgot the most important thing Framerate…60fps even 120fps is peasant level.

Killer8

Fully understand where he's coming from and has been my own thought for a couple of years now. The stereotype of PC gaming has always been that you need to spend hours tweaking settings to get the game to run. There is a tiny nugget of truth to it, but as Digital Foundry said in their latest DF Direct, for a golden period from the late 2000s to the late 2010s you just needed about 5 minutes in the settings menu and then you were good to go. The games that really needed extra work and hours perusing the PC Gaming Wiki for a fix were few and far between.

Nowadays though, your typically Unreal Engine 4-powered AAA slop makes Arkham Knight blush. Nearly every major release in the last year has been broken to some degree. Software is arguably less stable than ever. It often needs top of the range hardware with masses of VRAM to play acceptably. We're having to spend the hours in the settings menu that the meme joked about to find something vaguely playable. And when we do, the games still stutter like a fucking bitch. Some games are nice enough to include shader compilation to solve that, but then you have to endure up to an hours wait (which only adds up over time, since a driver install or game update will flush the cache).

On the other hand, my experience with consoles over the last two years has been nearly pristine. The games are stable and run smoothly, especially with VRR. The consoles are strong enough to most of the time look within the ballpark of the high settings on PC. Even the times when the PC version supposedly blows PS5 out the water, I find myself not really caring that much. No one is kidding themselves that the PS5 can produce as good visuals as a 4090. But what isn't a joke is that PS5 will most of the time play the game with far less intrusion or distraction.

Killer8

Sure, Jam.

Try figuring out blind on day one how to make RE4 remake not crash consistently, without resorting to a guide.

"It requires quite a lot of investigation to find out why it may be occurring, as the graphical options menu is not transparent enough as to what the issue possibly is"

You lower a setting and think you've solved the crashing, only for it to rear its head again later because the mixture of your other settings were not quite appropriate for your card. When graphics settings need to be aligned like the fucking stars just to make a game stable, the user experience has been a failure. Hell, DF even needed to make a flowchart showing how to avoid it:

HYkZmdJ.png

Meanwhile on console, I put the disc in the drive and enjoyed the game. Crazy stuff.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I'm glad I don't give a shit and just play games on whatever. My powerful rig, Steam Deck, Switch, PS5, even the Apple 4K TV or iPad, it's all good. I'll never understand why it's a competition or tribal to some people.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
So why, if you don't feel like PC is worth the effort, would you invest in high end parts only just to shit on them? Might as buy a PS5 and a Chromebook
I like to do a bit of both and I have a huge steam library. I choose platform game by game but honestly my platform of choice recently is ps5. I am just a born pc gamer and it’s hard to leave behind. I will probably always have a decent pc but I can somewhat share pc and console time. Besides, you need a good pc to have 4k120 desktop on oled :p

Wait are you implying consoles are good right now?

I have gaming PC and a ps5. As do many PC gamers btw, and my PC still gets more use.

So im not sure what you guys are on about.

Arun1910

With all the fucked up ports since Covid hit I'm inclined to agree, which is a shame. But things can only go up from the bottom... I'm sure PC gaming will get back on track in a few years.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
There are such weird posts in here from self-described 'PC gamers'.

You're having to spend 'hours' in 'config files'? What? You're given tweakable in-game presets. Pick one, adjust accordingly. What the fuck else are you doing?

You're having to spend 'hours dealing with drivers'? A driver notification shows up. You install it.

'Every major release is broken'? Yeah. On every platform. If your PS5 experience has been 'smooth and seamless', you're probably not the market for PC gaming, because PS5 versions of most major releases bring their own set of problems.

'PC hardware is sooooooooo expensive, and a PS5 is so much more affordable'. That's right. Buy it, or don't. Preferably do it quietly, because your financial situation means fuck all to anyone else.

I mean, the hysteria in here suggests to me that there are plenty of people who began building PCs during the PS4 era because they read about the 'PC master race' meme and wanted to one of the cool kids, but they had no idea what building and maintaining a computer actually meant.

PC gaming is fine - it's AAA software development that is currently in the toilet.

Console ports are just one nicety on PC. I personally don't understand the console-migrant who builds a gaming PC and just hooks it up with Steam Big Picture on a big TV or whatever but I hope they clean up the cross-platform stuff for your benefit as I am a very inclusive sort of person.

I haven't had any worse experiences with console-ish games on PC versus console-ish games on console over the years but the fact that I can be somewhat proactive with PC stuff as opposed to just sitting and hoping a patch hits my console eventually probably factors into it.

Eotheod

What is it with enthusiasts and pressuring people into believing their chosen platform is shit because it isn't the one they are playing on? Just let people play games on whatever platform they choose, does it really hurt you in the end? Does it somehow reduce the capability of your platform of choice if I play Switch, PC or Xbox?

Your platform still exists, it's okay the PC boogeyman didn't gobble it all up. You can go back to sleep canoodling your baby that you protect so much.

Chiggs

Here's my driver update and game crash story from last night.
  • I installed the latest Nvidia Game Ready Drivers.
    • This was done using Geforce Experience
  • I followed a video guide to reduce stuttering in MS Flight Simulator 2020.
  • I set the Nvidia shader cache to 10GB.
    • This is the recommended setting from Microsoft for Windows 11, btw.
End result: Flight Sim 2020 works beautifully now. Oh, but Elden Ring now just crashes the very second the 1st frame loads.

I'm sure this is totally some made up issue I've concocted because I'm an insidious liar trying to destroy the PC game industry! And I'm sure random bullshit like, for instance, the notorious Middle Earth: Shadow of War black screen issue are all just made up! I certainly didn't spend hours last year trying to fix it, only to finally discover the culprit--a fucking Alienware Display .dll-- in some barely-hit Steam thread with less than 10 responses.

Nope! All lies!

Last edited:

Loope

Dude, the Witcher 3 and Returnal are pretty noticeable. How can you tell they're not noticeable. Besides Witcher 3 runs pretty well on my machine (Ryzen 3600x and RTX 3060) no need to 2000 or 4000€, what are you on about?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Dude, the Witcher 3 and Returnal are pretty noticeable. How can you tell they're not noticeable. Besides Witcher 3 runs pretty well on my machine (Ryzen 3600x and RTX 3060) no need to 2000 or 4000€, what are you on about?
No it doesn’t run well on your machine. Unless you lowered some rt settings or play at 1080p with dlss

Loope

No it doesn’t run well on your machine. Unless you lowered some rt settings or play at 1080p with dlss
Yes, i lowered RT, because in my opinion it gives a weird look at some parts. The textures look weird at places. Either way the water on my machine looks the same as those screenshots.

If only there was a computer hardware company who owned a console division that could leverage its knowledge of PC architecture to put out a dedicated games console with exclusive games that combined the best of both worlds.
Valve already did that with steam deck and its glorious...... no dedicated games but it can play your steam library and be used as a portable computer on a tv if you want.

.... i know what you were going for, but that company MS is monopolistic greedy shit that just swallows other companies whole and pumps out their corpse. No creativity, and their allegiance is to the cloud and xbox not pc.

Killer8

I suppose if I also just pretended the issues people have with the platform are imaginary, i'd think they were weird too.

You're having to spend 'hours' in 'config files'? What? You're given tweakable in-game presets. Pick one, adjust accordingly. What the fuck else are you doing?

If someone is needing to dive into config files then it's likely they're trying to fix an issue they're already experiencing with the game. People don't go off the beaten path into config files for no reason. Config edits have been around for decades to try to alleviate certain issues like stutter (remember the heaps of UE3 edits people tried to fix Arkham Knight?), disabling mouse acceleration, or unlocking framerates to work on a high refresh monitor. All things that shouldn't require the user to go down such a path, yet we still see them in 2023.

There's even this little website called PC Gaming Wiki which may nor may not have been started to catalog a lot of this information... I wonder why they need that troubleshooting section? Hmm...

XvRqLNw.png

You're having to spend 'hours dealing with drivers'? A driver notification shows up. You install it.

You're grossly oversimplifying it. Drivers aren't perfect. AMD in particular have notoriously buggy drivers. In general, people can experience black screens on launch, FMV playback issues, multi monitor issues, scaling issues, the list goes on and on. A driver isn't just a fire and forget thing, it's its own collection of settings which can be unique - and as a result uniquely broken - for each PC configuration. New drivers are not always a net upgrade either and can sometimes cause issues with games, prompting a user to rollback to an earlier version.

All of this is why using the Display Driver Uninstaller software and doing a clean re-install is always the first recommendation to rule out display driver issues. Software like that which completely strips the driver from the PC wouldn't be needed if there weren't any issues inherent to 'A driver notification shows up. You install it.' Hell, maybe you could've saved them years of programming time and suggested just uninstalling it. How about turning it on and off again too?

'Every major release is broken'? Yeah. On every platform. If your PS5 experience has been 'smooth and seamless', you're probably not the market for PC gaming, because PS5 versions of most major releases bring their own set of problems.

Stutter, specifically shader compilation stutter, is one of the most well documented problems in PC gaming right now and is not nearly as prevalent on consoles, since the shaders come pre-compiled specifically for the console. Watch almost any Digital Foundry PC port analysis over the last year or so and there will be recurrent talk of the #StutterStruggle plaguing the platform. They had a whole segment on today's DF Direct Weekly about "PC Gaming in Crisis". Are some of the most knowledgeable people in the Youtube tech corner also on the hysteria bandwagon? What about nerds on enthusiast forums like Guru3D?

Epic have made a big deal recently about how they are going to try and solve the problem with automated PSO gathering. Why would they do such a thing if there was no problem?

I mean, the hysteria in here suggests to me that there are plenty of people who began building PCs during the PS4 era because they read about the 'PC master race' meme and wanted to one of the cool kids, but they had no idea what building and maintaining a computer actually meant.

I see the exact opposite - it's the biggest PC gamers who are shouting the loudest about it because it's painful to see the issues on the platform right now. Seems to be the more educated ones, too, if you've spent any amount of time in the other discussions on the forum regarding the issues.

Total strawman, either way.

As someone who owns a pc, ps5, switch, steam deck, and lots of retro machines and minis, the pc is fine.

My biggest beef with pc is windows 11. Damn random bsods from "HYPERVISOR_ERROR" that cause a random crash at least once a day, with nothing showing in event viewer, no outdated drivers and no bad hardware showing. Its infuriating. I didn't have any issues until upgrading to windows 11.

As for hardware and performance.
Maybe if you have the cash to afford $600-1000+ 4k monitors, and $1000+ gpus there is issues. And there definitely issues with gpu companies being greedy.

I play at 1080p or 1440p, use a 3060ti, and a zen 2 3600 ryzen with 16gb ram. I haven't had any issues with my games.
Even cyberpunk plays fine. Last few big AAA games I played on pc were cyberpunk, Everspace 2, and metro exodus (well everspace is indie i guess)
I really avoid multiplayer games anymore (don't have time to waste shooting people in the face over and over again for what? )

I play mostly city builders, turn based strategy /4x, grand strategy, roguelikes, rim world, mount and blade warband/2, and tons of indies, emulation and games from years past.
No problems there, all work fine, at least the ones not in early access.
I love it. Been playing pc since the 80s.

Steam and steam deck is the best thing for my needs to compliment my ps5/pc and switch. Finally finishing fallout 3 on the go, or playing Elden ring, Everspace 2, on the can.

Nothing like having my pc next to me while I'm working on a slow day. I can load up a game and play between calls and conflict resolutions.

Now is ps5 easier, sure, but its different. I use that for big budget AAA games and exclusives. Dead island 2 , RE4, and strangers of paradise were my last played ps5 games.

If you are using top of the line you are spending big bucks, and way more then 5 years ago. 5 years ago a 1080gtx was what $500-600 tops. Now the top end xx80 series cards are at least $1200 or more. Thats insane.
I guess if I was wasting buckets of cash, I'd be bitching about a few fps too.. Why anyone would spend that just for 4k is crazy. I still don't see the need when using small 22"-27" monitors, 1080p/1440p is fine.

Top Bottom