• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Superfan JayzTwoCents: "Maybe a PS5 is more my flavor at the moment"

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Hardware wise it's a fucking mess. There's no card under 1000 that does it all, Nvidia's 3000 series is low on VRAM, AMD's 6000-7000 series lack RT and featureset for non gaming tasks, intel isn't powerful enough and drivers are a work in progress. Back in 2017 you could pick up a 1080ti for 700 dollars and be done with it for the next 6 fucking years. AM5 mobos in flames and PSUs and cases by idiotic manufacturers catching fire

Software wise.... Eh. For all the complaints about Windows you can use a modded ISO, use guides on the internet to reduce bloatware and annoying shit, or use Linux. It's all doom and gloom until you learn to stop buying day one and work on that backlog that's been neglected, Mods and total conversions open up a wealth of new content that breathes life into older games, and indies typically make their first rounds here before ever getting ported to consoles like Switch or PS5. Emulation makes playing older games easy and infinite backwards compatibility moreso for older PC games. Not to mention the litany of fangames for many franchises out there that can only be properly experienced on PC.

How bad the former is is honestly curbed for my by the latter. PC's biggest strength more than the powerful hardware is the freedom of choice and software-that will never change so long as it stays the way it is.

It’s a big world. Where I’m at it’s $680. The one that can’t chew discs is $620.
Yes in Sweden where I live it’s much more too, but console prices seem to be always announced in dollar prices and then it’s 399 and 499. I paid 6800kr for my ps5 before which amounts to around 680 dollars like what you said.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm sure Jayzerocredibility will leave his gifted 4090 so he can play Jedi Survivor at 720p 17 fps on his PS5.
war face GIF

Fredrik

Yes in Sweden where I live it’s much more too, but console prices seem to be always announced in dollar prices and then it’s 399 and 499. I paid 6800kr for my ps5 before which amounts to around 680 dollars like what you said.
Yeah that’s where I am too 😉 up in the northern parts where we still have snow. Prices has gone up. PSVR2 is sold for 7349kr which gets converted to $720 😓

Marc Lamont Hill Wtf GIF by Identity

What the hell

Sprinkle some « no comfy couch » and you have a meme copypasta
Are you suggesting that PC performance, across a variety of machines is more stable than a console which is the same everywhere?

Do you not own a PC and a game console? PC on average, tend to be more issues than consoles. This shouldn’t be shocking news. I can count on 1 hand the times I haven’t had to reconfigure something on PC to get it run properly I’ve the last 20+ years.

Buggy Loop

Are you suggesting that PC performance, across a variety of machines is more stable than a console which is the same everywhere?

Do you not own a PC and a game console? PC on average, tend to be more issues than consoles. This shouldn’t be shocking news. I can count on 1 hand the times I haven’t had to reconfigure something on PC to get it run properly I’ve the last 20+ years.

Sure buddy

I had my PC as a console setup on TV for like 7 years, straight to Steam big screen, not a single keyboard or mouse configured, never bothered to tweak anything except select settings to get the performance i wanted? There's tons of games that work outright 100% on PC, the hell are you smoking.

Yoda

AMD is still a distant 2nd to Nvidia all the while Nvidia hasn't had the gaming market as it's top priority for awhile. Until this dynamic is disrupted, I doubt much will change in the short term.

In the long term, If newer releases perform poorly/can't take advantage of the better hardware and the "target" image fidelity doesn't leave what a PS5 is capable of, I suspect this'll dissuade people from switching to a PC as their main platform. Console generations have been getting much longer, esp with the introduction of "Pro" SKUs of the same machine. The value prop normally would benefit PCs as the GPUs would get cheaper (substantially) overtime and they weren't locked to 1/2 a decade old hardware. This doesn't seem to be the case anymore. The crypto craze and now the AI craze seem to give Nvidia the option to shift production to another market to artificially limit supply of the gaming GPUs, thus keeping prices (and profits) high.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I had a great time with Mass Effect, BioShock, Dead Space, Dead Space 2, and many others.
All those sub 30fps/720p with retarded gunplay on dual sticks with aim assists... Wow so cool. PC gaming sucks.

The Elder Scrolls VI: Oblivion was the first time where I noticed just how much better the console version (in this case, the Xbox 360) was than the PC version at launch.
Sure it was not missing 30+ fps, far more pixels, non retard mouse+kb controls, mods...

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'd love to see him actually load up jedi survivor on a ps5 and xbox and look at the performance mode. Guy would probs have an aneurysm.

StereoVsn

Jesus freaking Christ. Stick to consoles...
They might be in Russia/Belorus where certain products are blocked from sale now days (not sure if that's the situation ). If thats the case, not much choice.

That said, wouldn't touch Kaspersky with a 10' pole at this time.

Eotheod

Clearly we should relegate our gaming PC hardware back to excel and calculator only use (maybe with a word processor to boot) and all just go PS5. The true PC, with all its amazing backwards compatibility, large library of existing games, discounted products due to multiple digital stores and variable peripheral usage.

Oh wait.

Denton

Hardware wise it's a fucking mess. There's no card under 1000 that does it all, Nvidia's 3000 series is low on VRAM, AMD's 6000-7000 series lack RT and featureset for non gaming tasks, intel isn't powerful enough and drivers are a work in progress. Back in 2017 you could pick up a 1080ti for 700 dollars and be done with it for the next 6 fucking years.

4070 is pretty ok. Given the inflation, 700 today is 2016's 550. It has good RT perf, DLSS3 support, 12GB VRAM, which is fine.
Alternatively one can go for a second hand 3080Ti or some such, I got one 6 months ago with 18 months warranty left on it.
If one wants to game for cheap in 1080p, just get some 3060 12GB or 6700XT with Ryzen 5600 and you are set.
The hardware situation is now about 1000% better than it was two years ago.

Sure buddy

I had my PC as a console setup on TV for like 7 years, straight to Steam big screen, not a single keyboard or mouse configured, never bothered to tweak anything except select settings to get the performance i wanted? There's tons of games that work outright 100% on PC, the hell are you smoking.
Yes there are many that work buddy.
There are many that also don’t and need configuration. What are you smoking?

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
Clearly we should relegate our gaming PC hardware back to excel and calculator only use (maybe with a word processor to boot) and all just go PS5. The true PC, with all its amazing backwards compatibility, large library of existing games, discounted products due to multiple digital stores and variable peripheral usage.

Oh wait.
But someone, somewhere, might have to click on an install button to update a driver one day. Clearly, the platform is dead.

Puscifer

A PS5 doesn't check my boxes

1. Still can't play all the games I want with with a keyboard and mouse

2. I will forever continue to NOT pay for online play, fuck that.

3. Certain genres such as TBS like XCOM, just will NEVER feel right on a controller

4. If everything is going more and more digital, I'm sorry but locking my collection behind a closed eco system is a joke, WiiUs are dying outright for no reason as an example but at least with PC I'm forever able to backup and take it elsewhere, I know people who heard about the 3DS shut down, forgot and didn't download their collection.

5. These cards aren't even selling, they're being bought in bulk by enterprise customers for all this AI stuff, they're pricing to market we realistically shouldn't be buying to, but I almost guarantee no one bought a 7900XTX because I sure as hell didn't either.

6. I'm also not a YouTuber who apparently is so disgusted with the state of PC gaming that I want to get a PS5 while also opening and closing my video with advertisements for the very hobby I hate so much. Seems less of an issue and more "I need a video"

I’m in Sweden too. What really sucks is that you could buy a PS4 at 3.000 sek at this point last gen, but now even a PS5 Digital will run you 6.200 sek, so that’s an increase of over 100% despite the difference in dollars being just $50. A combination of weak currency, taxes and retailer gouging. Mostly retailer gouging imo as Switch prices line up pretty well with dollar prices.

Last edited:

Denton

i dont think 12gb vram will last long for the coming future, i want a 16gb card
It falls into the 3000 series category of not having enough VRAM
It will last perfectly fine for the rest of this generation, at least 4 years minimum. One TLOU (which actually does run fine on 12GB) does not a doom and gloom trend make.

Unreal 5 Matrix used around 8GB of VRAM when I last tested it.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Yes there are many that work buddy.
There are many that also don’t and need configuration. What are you smoking?

Configuration for better performance? That’s a strength of the platform, not a weakness.
Where console users are stuck with 30fps or 60fps with drops, and a choice of two resolutions, the PC user can alter settings to improve performance.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
They might be in Russia/Belorus where certain products are blocked from sale now days (not sure if that's the situation ). If thats the case, not much choice.

That said, wouldn't touch Kaspersky with a 10' pole at this time.
Does Russian/Belarus government obligate people using Kaspersky or any antivirus?

Configuration for better performance? That’s a strength of the platform, not a weakness.
Where console users are stuck with 30fps or 60fps with drops, and a choice of two resolutions, the PC user can alter settings to improve performance.
That’s not really what I’m talking about, have you been following the thread? Im talking about how many PC games just don’t work properly on initial startup and have to be adjusted: files have to added/Removed or changed, drivers have to updated or rolled back, various compatibility issues, the list goes on and on.

Recently, I had to turn power saving mode on, and run a specific game in Windows 7 mode just to get it to boot up (Typing of the Dead) it was a headache just getting to the point where I could isolate the issue. This is just 1 recent example, there are many more.

You can pretend all PC games always boot up fine and work 100% of the time, but in my experience and what I’ve witnessed from friends and family this has literally never been the case. There’s a much higher likelihood of some issue like this coming up on PC then on console.

But you can keep setting up strawmen if you’d like. But the idea that PC is a more stable platform than a console is dogshit. I have multiple consoles and a PC, and more often than not, it’s the PC that’s a headache.

Kokoloko85

If you can afford a Great PC, you can probably afford to get a PS5 and Switch to play the exclusives and games the PC doesnt run well.
Do it all If you can

StereoVsn

Does Russian/Belarus government obligate people using Kaspersky or any antivirus?
Folks in those countries may not be able to buy alternatives basically due to payment issues.

So if one wanted something beyond default Defender, perhaps there aren't a lot of choices.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Folks in those countries may not be able to buy alternatives basically due to payment issues.

So if one wanted something beyond default Defender, perhaps there aren't a lot of choices.
If one need antivirus other than maybe, in the worst scenario, the Defender, then again, stick to consoles.

StereoVsn

If one need antivirus other than maybe, in the worst scenario, the Defender, then again, stick to consoles.
Eh, will agree to disagree. Defender is not bad, but it's also the most targeted. It's good to have an alternate backup in case you get hit by something.

Hell, exploits could come from 3rd party software you use, from Adobe to some minor utils you update, just never know. While gaming, you can always setup profile to tune things down.

Mobilemofo

Ah yes, the good old PC has all of these problems that the PS5 fanboys like to pretend doesn’t exist on their console.

It’s hilarious. Maybe because negative PS5 threads get deleted, like the one about how shit Jedi Order was on PS5. You can’t even run a game without FSR implementation, let that sink in. PS5 is low level regardless of how “bad” you want to paint PC gaming. It must be because the only thing console gamers care about is AAA, but that’s not all PC gaming has going for it.

The constant PS5 cock guzzling around here is incredible. Checks all the boxes? Sure if you like walled gardens and subpar performance and variable resolutions with FSR running in everything for $70. Can’t forget the online paywalls, no refunds, no digital store competition, and paid cloud.
In the real world all games are having issues, and in the real world they’re almost always fixed in a timely matter. Which means the PC version becomes what it should’ve been, while the PS5 version is inferior in every way.
To be fair, alot of us console owners were once pc wankers. Many of us gave up fuckin about building pcs for the simple life of being able to just play games, without fuckin about with drivers, etc etc. Obviously, pc is more capable, but if you don't give a fuck about 4k 900fps with raytracing, and all that bollocks, console is the way generally.

Top Bottom