• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Superfan JayzTwoCents: "Maybe a PS5 is more my flavor at the moment"

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
That’s not really what I’m talking about, have you been following the thread? Im talking about how many PC games just don’t work properly on initial startup and have to be adjusted: files have to added/Removed or changed, drivers have to updated or rolled back, various compatibility issues, the list goes on and on.

Recently, I had to turn power saving mode on, and run a specific game in Windows 7 mode just to get it to boot up (Typing of the Dead) it was a headache just getting to the point where I could isolate the issue. This is just 1 recent example, there are many more.

You can pretend all PC games always boot up fine and work 100% of the time, but in my experience and what I’ve witnessed from friends and family this has literally never been the case. There’s a much higher likelihood of some issue like this coming up on PC then on console.

But you can keep setting up strawmen if you’d like. But the idea that PC is a more stable platform than a console is dogshit. I have multiple consoles and a PC, and more often than not, it’s the PC that’s a headache.
Can you even play Typing of the Dead on PS5? Maybe, but even if you can there are tons of games from previous generations that you can't. It might take me a lot of messing around to get x-wing vs tie fighter with the update mod working on PC, but that is the only place I can get it working at all. That is the greatest strength of PC gaming, not a disadvantage.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I kinda agree. 2016 i could buy the best PC available for ~ 2k€, now that would be 4k+
I earn more than i did back then, but not 2x as much, and there is nothing to justify the retarded pricing practices of GPUs these days.

Can you even play Typing of the Dead on PS5? Maybe, but even if you can there are tons of games from previous generations that you can't. It might take me a lot of messing around to get x-wing vs tie fighter with the update mod working on PC, but that is the only place I can get it working at all. That is the greatest strength of PC gaming, not a disadvantage.
Dude there’s so many examples, i just listed the most recent one I went through, literally last weekend. I’m not going to try and list 50 examples for you. Sometimes getting games to run on PC can be a real headache.

I like my PC, and yes, there’s tons of stuff of there you can’t play anywhere else. That is a strength for sure.

But that’s not what the thread is about, or my posts are about. You’ve effectively moved the goalposts here. Point I’ve been making, to reiterate yet again, is that many times it’s an ordeal to get a PC game to run, whereas on console… in my entire life, I can literally count one 1 hand the times I’ve had issues getting a game to boot up and run properly.

Just because someone brings up a valid criticism of your most cherished platform doesn’t mean it’s the end of the world. I like PC, I like consoles, I like mobile. I enjoy gaming regardless of platform, but I’m also aware of each platform’s strengths and weaknesses.

My entire post chain was only trying to say that consoles are more stable then PC, and it doesn’t really matter how many dog pile on or post memes or try to be witty, or like the opposing comments. It won’t change the fact that my statement is true. I suppose sometimes the truth really does hurt.

Nocturno999

There's plenty of games that work fine from launch like Atomic Heart and Resident Evil 4.
Watch recent Steam reviews. Plenty of great games that are not even on consoles, getting positive reviews.
Steam keeps breaking user records while PS Plus keeps losing subscribers and Xbox keeps getting close to irrelevancy if they don't do something quick.
Prices definitely have to drop, but it's not like you need a top of the line PC to play at 1080p or 1440p.

Ignore this disingenuous narrative that shills keep pushing that PC gaming is in trouble or that it sucks.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
There's plenty of games that work fine from launch like Atomic Heart and Resident Evil 4.
Watch recent Steam reviews. Plenty of great games that are not even on consoles, getting positive reviews.
Steam keeps breaking user records while PS Plus keeps losing subscribers and Xbox keeps getting close to irrelevancy if they don't do something quick.
Prices definitely have to drop, but it's not like you need a top of the line PC to play at 1080p or 1440p.

Ignore this disingenuous narrative that shills keep pushing that PC gaming is in trouble or that it sucks.
If crashing for hours is fine, then Re4 is a pc game of the year. (Rt… it is rt setting dont google it)

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
That’s not really what I’m talking about, have you been following the thread? Im talking about how many PC games just don’t work properly on initial startup and have to be adjusted: files have to added/Removed or changed, drivers have to updated or rolled back, various compatibility issues, the list goes on and on.

Recently, I had to turn power saving mode on, and run a specific game in Windows 7 mode just to get it to boot up (Typing of the Dead) it was a headache just getting to the point where I could isolate the issue. This is just 1 recent example, there are many more.

It sounds to me like you’re talking about playing old games on a modern PC, in which case you sometimes do have to make a few adjustments to get them running or running as well as you’d like. This isn’t even possible on a PS5, which can’t play thousands of PlayStation games.

The old driver updates complaint - I’ve not once had a driver issue in my eight years of playing on PC. I’m not saying it doesn’t happen ever, but it’s exaggerated immensely. I remember consoles having firmware updates released that bricked your console. Nobody talks about that though.

Everything in life that’s worthwhile takes a little work. Everything. In the gaming world that’s PC. That’s why I don’t recommend it to everyone. Because sometimes there’s reading involved. You might have to drag and drop a file into a folder. You might press a download button. Let’s be real - it’s not difficult work.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Sorry about your issue, but your seem to be in the minority since RE4 got overwhelmingly positive reviews on Steam. Something that conveniently these drama tubers/influencers ignore.
Its not a monitory. Re4 is guaranteed to crash of you play maxed out with rt on 3080 because it got only 10gb of vram.
Controllable crashes in same spora wbrew memory overloads

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I'm quite happy with my PC. I don't see any reason to buy a Playstation or Xbox. Plus, I don't use my PC only for gaming so even if I did get a console I'd still have to get a PC/laptop. You can only play games on a console and that's no good to me.

I wouldn't blame anyone for not wanting to build a PC and instead getting a console if all they want to do is play games, save money, and don't really care about how the games look or perform. For a PC enthusiast he does make some valid points but sometimes the shit he says is so stupid and it's why I stopped watching his videos.

Puscifer

Kaspersky was fucking with it for no real reason. The moment I suspended the internet security suite things got fixed and I started from there.

I don't like using the web browser version because I open up a ton of tabs habitually.
Kaspersky was likely blocking the telemetry discord does just based off that since Discord is borderline spyware.

As I've learned how anti malware works I've also realized that so much of it isn't fucking with program functionality for no real reason, more like there's a reason.

Astray

Gold Member
Kaspersky was likely blocking the telemetry discord does just based off that since Discord is borderline spyware.

As I've learned how anti malware works I've also realized that so much of it isn't fucking with program functionality for no real reason, more like there's a reason.
When I said "no reason", I meant that it didn't tell me it was blocking Discord for xyz reason, discord just randomly stopped starting (was in an update bootloop), it took a lot of searching and fiddling to find the solution.
For what it's worth, Kaspersky has been the darling of the tech world. Countless articles have proclaimed them the best, so let's not pretend that didn't happen.

Not singling anyone out with that comment, but I've seen a few responses to Astray Astray which were basically acting as if that suite was some wretched POS...and that was NOT the consensus before the invasion of Ukraine.s
Thanks.

There are reasons why one would want to have a subscription to these services, mine is that:

A) I didn't trust Defender for a long time
B) My sub includes my sister's machine, and she isn't as tech savvy as I am, so she could fall for things like phishing etc.

I am considering alternatives because it's been a while since I searched around when it comes to security suites and I'm looking to cut on subscription costs.

Hohenheim

I got a new gaming desktop last summer. Very, very happy with it and would never go back to consoles only. Some of the best games I've played since (plague tale requem, resi evil 4 remake, cyberpunk, disco elysium, incryption) would all be big downgrades on my consoles.
I like my consoles and have all of them. But most of my gaming is being done on PC because of better performance.

Zelda and FF16 will put me back in front of the consoles for a while soon though.

If the guy in the video in first post no longer prefer his PC, I think he should play on his PS5 or Xbox for a while, no need to make a big fuss.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
Any game can use the GPU if you mod it and/or play at 8k/16k. Plus you don't need to play them at launch "broken" and at full price. Wait for patches and discounted/sales.

You can put Super Mario 64 at 8K resolution, that's not going to turn it into a graphically demanding game. It makes absolutely no sense to spend $800+ on JUST the GPU and then waste it on only playing Indies.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
You can put Super Mario 64 at 8K resolution, that's not going to turn it into a graphically demanding game. It makes absolutely no sense to spend $800+ on JUST the GPU and then waste it on only playing Indies.
Yes, you can use 100% of your GPU if you want.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I've beat RE4R 5 times (with 0 crashes), and I have no clue what this even supposed to mean.
Sorry. Was supposed to be maxed out. Typo.
I am saying that re4r has repeatable crashing points if you play 4k or 1440p maxed out with rt and 10gb of vram or less.
without rt, the game will never crash.

Azurro

Banned
Yes, you can use 100% of your GPU if you want.

Don't be silly, it doesn't matter if it's"Technically" using the GPU, that still looks like an N64 game because there are more polygons in Leon's gun in RE4 than in the entire Super Mario 64 game.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Looks fantastic, though I'd still take the PC port over that.

That is the PC port too, but with different mods.
Don't be silly, it doesn't matter if it's"Technically" using the GPU, that still looks like an N64 game because there are more polygons in Leon's gun in RE4 than in the entire Super Mario 64 game.
Games don't use GPU power just to push polygons, textures and effects. Other aspects matter and can demand from the hardware.

Last edited:

darrylgorn

That is the PC port too, but with different mods.

Shark Tank Writing GIF

Guilty_AI

Sorry. Was supposed to be maxed out. Typo.
I am saying that re4r has repeatable crashing points if you play 4k or 1440p maxed out with rt and 10gb of vram or less.
without rt, the game will never crash.
Playing Cyberpunk with path-tracing/ultra/4k on a rtx 2060 is also very likely to crash your game

Chiggs

Fun fact: I updated my Nvidia drivers last night and then changed shader cache sizes to what Microsoft recommends (10GB) for Windows 11.

End result: MS Flight Simulator runs better than ever, but now Elden Ring hangs the moment the first frame loads.

Sweet!

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Fun fact: I updated my Nvidia drivers last night and then changed shader cache sizes to what Microsoft recommends (10GB) for Windows 11.

End result: MS Flight Simulator runs better than ever, but now Elden Ring hangs the moment the first frame loads.

Sweet!
It's building shader cache again.🤷‍♂️

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I mean if you're exceeding VRAM then turned down texture settings, a tale as old as time.
It's not that easy.
The game crashes as soon as it reached 9700mb. There is no slowdown, hitching, nothing. It just crashes.
It's a badly designed game.
And if I disable RT and crank up everything else, the game warns me about using 14gb/10gb lol and it never crashes.
Dedicated memory is about 9gb then (not allocated)

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I feel like I'm the only one who plays PC because of mouse and keyboard mainly lol

Aside from much preferring the setup for first and third person shooter/action games, it is worlds better for any sort of strategy game. Their are entire genre's barely represented on consoles because of that.

While I enjoy Diablo on Playstation I also much prefer that style of game on PC. (and there are still quite a bit more games in the Diablo-clone genre that have never made it to console, or took ages and had bad ports, like the best Diablo-clone ever, Grim Dawn.)

But PS5 is also a really nice piece of hardware and I certainly am a fan of it. I just wish PC/keyboard support was a more common thing on it.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Playing Cyberpunk with path-tracing/ultra/4k on a rtx 2060 is also very likely to crash your game
Are you stupid?
Are you comparing playing game designed to push gpu limits ona 2060 to playing RE4 on a 3080?
We are not talking about 1060 with 3gb of vram. It's a 10gb vram 3080 card. It should handle every single game.

10000% it should never crash your game. The game can stutter or have other problems but crashing as soon as vram usage goes from 9600 to 9700mb is a terrible design that I have no idea why you are defening.
Go check out steam forums. Tons of people have no idea why the game is crashing. on release day, nobody knew and I wasted my time before I realized I just have to disable RT. I don't normally have dedicated vram set up in afterburner osd but I did for that game.

We are not talking about running some incredible tech pushing games on weak hardware here. It's not 2007 crysis trying to run o 6600gt.
tlou1, forspoken, jedi survivors really should not be crashing or have quake2 textures on a 10gb gpu

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

It’s not all about the power. You would find it strange but people don’t give a crap if 4090 is 25x faster than the ps5.
The crux of the matter is, the game looks identical between pc and ps5 if you do t zoom in like df. The differences are gone.
Sure you can 120fps every single game at 4k with 4090 but that thing costs 5x the ps5 price so it seems fair.
What ? game look Identical between PC ultra settings and PS5? you only see the difference if you zoom in ? bruh....

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I feel like I'm the only one who plays PC because of mouse and keyboard mainly lol

Aside from much preferring the setup for first and third person shooter/action games, it is worlds better for any sort of strategy game. Their are entire genre's barely represented on consoles because of that.

While I enjoy Diablo on Playstation I also much prefer that style of game on PC. (and there are still quite a bit more games in the Diablo-clone genre that have never made it to console, or took ages and had bad ports, like the best Diablo-clone ever, Grim Dawn.)

But PS5 is also a really nice piece of hardware and I certainly am a fan of it. I just wish PC/keyboard support was a more common thing on it.
Look at my tag xD. Me playing shooters, RTS/strategy andDiablo games on dual stick controllers: 🤮

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Hyperbole is incredibly high in this thread damn... I don't get like 99% of complaints and I game like 95% PC and 5% Switch.

PC parts bring expensive? Wait for them to be cheaper. PC ports broken? Wait for them to be fixed, they'll are better than console's even broken most of the time BTW.

It's not PC gaming sucks, being an early adopter sucks, stop pretending this small segment of PC gaming represent the whole thing, they're just the anxious FOMO-induced people that can't enjoy shit out of the release window because everyone else stop talking about it.

And console players lol, tell me when I can mod a Japanese game from before 2010 to change voices from English to Japanese because no version came with original audio in ps5. Well you probably can't because you can't probably even buy those games anyway. PC is more than power.

Guilty_AI

Are you stupid?
Are you comparing playing game designed to push gpu limits ona 2060 to playing RE4 on a 3080?
We are not talking about 1060 with 3gb of vram. It's a 10gb vram 3080 card. It should handle every single game.

10000% it should never crash your game. The game can stutter or have other problems but crashing as soon as vram usage goes from 9600 to 9700mb is a terrible design that I have no idea why you are defening.
Go check out steam forums. Tons of people have no idea why the game is crashing. on release day, nobody knew and I wasted my time before I realized I just have to disable RT. I don't normally have dedicated vram set up in afterburner osd but I did for that game.

We are not talking about running some incredible tech pushing games on weak hardware here. It's not 2007 crysis trying to run o 6600gt.
tlou1, forspoken, jedi survivors really should not be crashing or have quake2 textures on a 10gb gpu
Its one setting mate, you were one barely noticeable setting away from a flawless experience.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Its one setting mate, you were one barely noticeable setting away from a flawless experience.
of course. I disabled it. Hell... it even looks better without the stupid RT setting.
But which setting is causing the crashing? That was on me to find and then to check out if I want to disable it or lower other settings if RT is looking good.

That said - it is not about how the setting looks or what it does. It's about putting this on me and crashing the game needlessly

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
What ? game look Identical between PC ultra settings and PS5? you only see the difference if you zoom in ? bruh....
What game?
Yes. Most games do look the same. You realize it's not ps2 vs pc anymore?
ps5 essentially is running games the same as pc. 4k, good AA, high settings.
have you see a DF video in the past few years? They have to zoom 400% to find differences.
Compare tlou1 remake ps5 to pc. Even on ultra, maxed out... the ps5 looks the same or even better (due to bugs on pc).

GymWolf

Hyperbole is incredibly high in this thread damn... I don't get like 99% of complaints and I game like 95% PC and 5% Switch.

PC parts bring expensive? Wait for them to be cheaper. PC ports broken? Wait for them to be fixed, they'll are better than console's even broken most of the time BTW.

It's not PC gaming sucks, being an early adopter sucks, stop pretending this small segment of PC gaming represent the whole thing, they're just the anxious FOMO-induced people that can't enjoy shit out of the release window because everyone else stop talking about it.

And console players lol, tell me when I can mod a Japanese game from before 2010 to change voices from English to Japanese because no version came with original audio in ps5. Well you probably can't because you can't probably even buy those games anyway. PC is more than power.
Just for the record, early adopters with a premium pc still play way better than console even at launch.

Chiggs

DualSense is a fantastic controller, but I have no idea why keyboard/mouse support continues to evade consoles. Not like it's hard to implement.

Top Bottom