• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAX East 2011: No Dickwolves allowed...

We are about to start setting up for our panel in the Cat Theater! It starts at 10:30 this morning and is called Radio Free Nintendo. I want to see some fellow GAFfers there!

BigAT

Off to the convention I go. If you happen to see a 6'5" blonde guy in shorts and a red Woot shirt, feel free to say hi.

So who else is in the queue right now? We should have made some sort of sticker or call-sign that we could put on our badges so we could easily identify each other.

EDIT:
Fuck it, I'm bored in the line so I am going to write up some impressions of the games I played yesterday.

Let's do it.

Resident Evil Mercenaries 3DS: This was the first time that I saw a 3DS in person, and I have to say, the 3D works really well, and is pretty striking. It looks really cool, but I don't really see myself missing it if it wasn't there.

That being said, Mercenaries works just as you'd expect, it plays identically to RE5's Mercenaries mode. The controls are mapped well to the hardware, and yeah I can't really think of more. Essentially, fans of the genre....

Gunstringer(and sitting while playing Kinect): According to the guy at the booth, Gunstringer will be the first Kinect game that supports sitting. Curious, I decided to demo the game that way and it didn't really work well... The demo operator told me that they have been having problems all day with people sitting and playing mainly because there is so much stuff going on in the area around the demo station.

After fumbling around with the controls sitting down, I decided I'd give standing a shot. As soon as I started playing up-right the controls began to work as advertised.

Essentially the demo is broken up into two types of gameplay, on-rails sections and cover-based shooting. For the on-rails sections, the Gunstringer automatically moves forward and by using your left hand(marionette hand)the Gunstringer can be moved to the left, to the right, and can be made to jump to dodge various obstacles. With the other hand, you paint targets in a very Rez-like manner and then flick your arm like it's a gun and it shoots the painted targets. It's pretty simple mechanics, but it was surprisingly fun.

My favorite aspect is something most come to expect from Twisted Pixel, the tone and humor. It's all there, and it's all really, really funny. I laughed quite a bit during my demo, which is a pretty big feat for most games.

So yeah, Kinect players look out for that.

I played other stuff, but we are about to be let back in to the expo...so I got to go.

cRIPticon

Speaking on this panel tomorrow:

Ten Games You Need to Play: The Digital Game Canon
IGDA Dev Center
Sunday, 2:00pm - 2:50 pm

This panel takes inspiration from the challenge of preserving game history and gets right to the key question: What is the canon of digital game history? What games should be first on the list for preservation? What games should game researchers and designers study? In other words, what games do you really need to play? Our panel mixes game designers, researchers, and journalists -- all players, too -- to answer this question. Expect to hear an appeal or two about the need to solve the problem of long-term preservation of these games as part of our cultural heritage...before they disappear forever.

Panelists include: Jon Gibson [Founder, I am 8-bit], Christopher Grant [Editor-in-Chief, Joystiq.com], Henry Lowood [Curator/Professor, Stanford University], Chris Melissinos [Curator, Smithsonian’s Art of Video Games Exhibition]

Hope to see some of you there!

-Chris

Rlan

255735011.jpg

You might see a few of these at the Halfbrick booth :p

Chairhome

Imperial Hot said:
So who else is in the queue right now? We should have made some sort of sticker or call-sign that we could put on our badges so we could easily identify each other.
Yeah man, like I said earlier, I made a "nametag" with the neogaf symbol and my avatar and GAF name that's pinned to my lanyard. I was only approached by one GAFfer yesterday :-(.

Currently in the Harmonix Community panel, going to the Geek parenting panel later. The lines today are ridiculous compared to yesterday's. Glad I played most of what I wanted yesterday.

Kholdstare

In line to see some Dues Ex. It's funny, I sat down on a bench to figure out where I had to go for this event and a line just all of a sudden forms behind me. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time. Now in near the front of the line sitting on a comfy bench.

Had a great time at PAX on Friday (sadly the only day I could go).

It made me wonder, does NeoGaf ever have any local meet ups or regional threads for gamers to meetup and play games (for example MA)?

Patryn

So did I miss anything by sleeping in and skipping the comic drawing panel?

Currently contemplating between going to the females on females panel or trying out the learn D&D stuff (I've always wanted to play it, but my friends have never been into it).

Choices, choices.

Not that anyone probably knows who I am, but if you see a tall blonde guy with glasses amd a Republic of Gamers backpack, a Whiskey Media members shirt over a long-sleeved black shirt, and carring a Penny Arcade Store bag, feel free to say hello and explain to me exactly how annoying my ranting against Mass Effect 2 really is.

Grifter

I am wearing a blue Objection shirt under a plaid zipper hoodie here. Hope to see some of you.

NFS steering wheels were so sensitive. I drove in circles.

Waiting in this absurd line for the SF4 tourney.

Mooreberg

Is anyone desperately trying to scalp tickets at reasonable prices outside the venue? I didn't find out I was going to be in the area until well after everything was sold out, but would like to get in tomorrow if remotely possible.

This tweet elicits a chuckle
http://twitter.com/#!/kobunheat/status/46660851838631936
@kobunheat
Chris Kohler
Parents at PAX. Mom points to a Bridget cosplayer, says "I can't tell whether that nun is a boy or a girl."
2 minutes ago via Twitter for iPhone

YuriLowell said:
There is at least a 2hr line for everything.

at like 10:30 am , 30 minutes after it opened, it was 2 and a half hours for Duke Nukem :( i didn't play it.

3DS line was crazy long.

so much more people then yesterday.

I played Gears 3 and it was great, i played the football stadium level, will pick up day 1
Socom 4 was ok but i struggled a lot lol

Mooreberg said:
Is anyone desperately trying to scalp tickets at reasonable prices outside the venue? I didn't find out I was going to be in the area until well after everything was sold out, but would like to get in tomorrow if remotely possible.

i saw a bunch of people selling tickets today, some random kid asked me, didn't sell it to him though, he wanted to pay $10 :/ lol
Just go and ask, someone will sell for prob $30-40

Mooreberg

friskykillface said:
i saw a bunch of people selling tickets today, some random kid asked me, didn't sell it to him though, he wanted to pay $10 :/ lol
Just go and ask, someone will sell for prob $30-40

Thanks for info, I'll try to get in tomorrow.

Frostburn

They have a 3DS at my local Best Buy so you guys may want to skip that line and head there when you get home. It is neat, the 3D works well but I can see it being an issue for games you have to move the handheld around a lot on. Wish I was at PAX with you guys!

YuriLowell said:
it's stuff like this which turns me off big gaming events, unless I was getting paid to do so like most of the press.

I'd go around finding gaffers or something lol.

Sanjuro

Nelo Ice said:
anything else you can say about all stars?
game looks really fun but id love to see more hands on impressions
Combat is fluid, reminds me alot of WWF Superstars. Moves complete and don't look awkward no matter where you are in the ring.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Combat is fluid, reminds me alot of WWF Superstars. Moves complete and don't look awkward no matter where you are in the ring.

thanks for the impressions
even more hyped about the game now that it looks like its going to deliver :D

btw who did u use?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Do you need to input command strings for the moves like a fighting game?

Resistance 3, Gears 3, Infamous 2, Socom 4 (campaign) playable there? I want to go tomorrow but Ill only go if i can play those games and of course play the 3ds.

fernoca

Any Mortal Kombat impressions?
People online are reporting long-ass lines, and liking the game, but the game haven't been mentioned in this thread and neither in the demo thread; except a Twitter user from another forum. And the build has more characters (16), than the PSN demo.

DeBurgo

YuriLowell said:
It's not nearly as.bad as last year... And on average I'd say it's more like an hour. All the panels I went to didn't even fill up.

NateDrake

Domcorleone said:
Resistance 3, Gears 3, Infamous 2, Socom 4 (campaign) playable there? I want to go tomorrow but Ill only go if i can play those games and of course play the 3ds.
If you don't have a pass yet, you won't be going tomorrow anyways. Gears 3 MP is playable. SOCOM 4 is playable. Resistance 3 and inFamous 2 isn't there at all.

Chairhome

fernoca said:
Any Mortal Kombat impressions?
People online are reporting long-ass lines, and liking the game, but the game haven't been mentioned in this thread and neither in the demo thread; except a Twitter user from another forum. And the build has more characters (16), than the PSN demo.
Its awesome. Line is a little long but goes quick. I tried on 3d and non 3d. 3d is done well, very subtle, you can still see it pretty well without glasses. Its a little weird to get used to (since punches are on top and kicks on bottom, but the special moves are mapped to old positions. Kinda weird). I used Liu Kang 1st and couldn't get used to it in time, computer killed me. Then I tried again today with Sub Zero (not used to d,f, hk for the slide, but figured it out) on the arcade sticks. Loved it. I don't think I'll buy sticks just for the game, but it helped. I'll have to try it on a street fighter stick to see how it is... Did sub's fatality, too :-D.

Game is great though, definitely getting it. If there's anyone you want me to try, I'll try my best.

fernoca

Chairhome said:
Its awesome. Line is a little long but goes quick. I tried on 3d and non 3d. 3d is done well, very subtle, you can still see it pretty well without glasses. Its a little weird to get used to (since punches are on top and kicks on bottom, but the special moves are mapped to old positions. Kinda weird). I used Liu Kang 1st and couldn't get used to it in time, computer killed me. Then I tried again today with Sub Zero (not used to d,f, hk for the slide, but figured it out) on the arcade sticks. Loved it. I don't think I'll buy sticks just for the game, but it helped. I'll have to try it on a street fighter stick to see how it is... Did sub's fatality, too :-D.

Game is great though, definitely getting it. If there's anyone you want me to try, I'll try my best.
Nice impressions; thanks. :)
Darn, I wish I could buy a 3D TV. :(

Patryn

Ok, the concerts line? That was fucking ridiculous. I'm walking to Manticore to line up for the Games "Antique Road Show" panel by Chris Kohler at a little before six, and I notice a MASSIVE line. Easily a thousand people, if not two. I ask them what it's for, and it's for the fucking concerts?

The ones that don't start until 9:15? That's nuts. How early do you have to line up for those things? Are they really worth losing half a day of the convention?

Top Bottom