• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAX East 2011: No Dickwolves allowed...

daffy

Banned
Mr. Lemming said:
I loved PAX. Definitely returning next year. Video games I got to play are as follows:
Just wanna say thank you for this. I don't know if its GAF taboo to just post thank you's but yeah. I only really read GAF impressions because I know they're 100% genuine, so thanks Mr. Lemming :)

Glad to see DOA is a solid port, it'll probably be my first 3DS game.

Chairhome

50% chance that I should have a photo blast on this thread tomorrow. Fun times. The videos are going to take a while though.

AcridMeat

Banned
Chairhome said:
50% chance that I should have a photo blast on this thread tomorrow. Fun times. The videos are going to take a while though.

I apologize as I'm tired and about to go to bed, but I first read "pedo blast". I'm glad I was wrong, looking forward to seeing them Chairhome!

Chairhome

Sorry for the photo bomb. Sorry its not too much substance... I have more, too... I'll see if I have anything else worth posting.

Cosplayers:
IMG_1252-vi.jpg
IMG_1263-vi.jpg

IMG_1255-vi.jpg
IMG_1327-vi.jpg

IMG_1325-vi.jpg
IMG_1323-vi.jpg

IMG_1317-vi.jpg

Their packs lit up and everything, it was awesome.

Classic Arcade Room:
IMG_1273-vi.jpg

IMG_1272-vi.jpg

Classic Console Room:
IMG_1286-vi.jpg

IMG_1285-vi.jpg

IMG_1279-vi.jpg

IMG_1281-vi.jpg

IMG_1403-vi.jpg

Night Trap!

Console Tourney Room:
IMG_1257-vi.jpg

IMG_1312-vi.jpg

IMG_1309-vi.jpg

IMG_1312-vi.jpg

Table Top Gaming Area:
IMG_1267-vi.jpg

Exhibit Hall:
IMG_1246-vi.jpg

IMG_1247-vi.jpg

IMG_1231-vi.jpg

IMG_1227-vi.jpg

IMG_1393-vi.jpg

Overclocked Rig running Dirt 2 at 120 fps... cooled with Liquid Nitrogen! The guy had to pour some in every 30 seconds or so.

IMG_1395-vi.jpg

IMG_1239-vi.jpg

IMG_1361-vi.jpg

IMG_1228-vi.jpg

IMG_1322-vi.jpg

IMG_1288-vi.jpg

Line for the Localization panel

IMG_1287-vi.jpg

Pokemon B&W was the DS game of the Expo. EVERYONE was playing it.

Omegathon in the main theater (Mega Jenga!)
IMG_1333-vi.jpg

IMG_1338-vi.jpg

AcridMeat said:
I apologize as I'm tired and about to go to bed, but I first read "pedo blast". I'm glad I was wrong, looking forward to seeing them Chairhome!
If I took a pic of that girl who was dressed as L4D Witch... it might just be a pedo blast. She looked like she was way too young to be walking around in underwear!

JimmyBoy

PAX East was awesome but GOD DAMN those lines were long.

I waited 3 hours to play 25 minutes of The Darkness 2. That game is brutally violent but I'm concerned the Darkness powers are way more fun than the gunplay.

Kingdom's of Amalur: Reckoning (Kurt Shilling's/Big Huge Game's non-mmo game) looks really really great. Darksiders + Oblivion = this game.

Mortal Kombat played great!

Child of Eden was very fun but a bit inaccurate on Kinect.

El Shaddai looks very unique and fun.

Bastion plays well - though i think the draw is the art style and dynamic narration.

Dragon Nest plays ok. Guild Wars with a Warcraft like graphics style only MORE cartoony.

That crazy octopus looking controller addon for 360 actually works as advertised believe it or not.

Thats everything i can recall at the moment.

I think I played nearly everything on the show floor so if anyone has questions, let me know.

Giant Bombcast was fantastic but you can all watch that for yourself now.

The people at the Rockstar booth were kind of assholes. You're showing some footage of LA Noire (inside a closed booth) but are BLARING Dance & Hip Hop music louder than any other exhibitor on the floor and you're directly across from the Child of Eden booth - you know that game where the music is integral to the experience? Seriously guys?

DTJAAAAM

Affeinvasion said:
Just curious if anyone picked up any LOTRO swag while hanging out around the WB/Turbine booth (probably to play MK)? Couldn't make it this year and am curious what they were giving away...particularly in game stuff.

If I remember correctly, it was some sort of exclusive horse download code.

Grifter

Chairhome said:
Fantastic! That's me on the end playing a match, and some buddies to my right. Can you please send me an HQ copy of this?

This weekend was more of an excuse to hang out with friends and play fighters at night, but the event exceeded my expectations. Everything I encountered was incredibly well run, from the booths to the event itself, and the tourneys are run better than dedicated fighter tourneys I've attended, including last year's Evolution (different scope, but no shortage of players at PAX and I think PAX had just as many setups on bigger, lag-free TVs at eye-level, proper sound, AND with comfy chairs).

Highlights off the top of my head:
- Mizoguchi demo'ing Child of Eden (much thanks to the gaffer who posted about this on Saturday)
- VGO concert
- Booth babes with terrific outfits
- Won my pools in SF4 and MvC3
- Had a crazy WWE All-Stars match with a friend where we kept exchanging signature moves since we couldn't figure out how to pin
- Dragon Nest was surprisingly fun when I played the ranger.
- Carcassonne tourney

Chairhome, those are some epic pictures. Thanks.

I'm still in the slow process of unpacking and taking stuff out, maybe I'll put mines up sometime today.

Chairhome

Grifter said:
Fantastic! That's me on the end playing a match, and some buddies to my right. Can you please send me an HQ copy of this?
Sweet! Here are some links to the HQ version. There's another pic too that is basically the same taken a second or two after that one. If there's a problem with the link, let me know.

http://images114.fotki.com/v145/filejqa6/b4b3c/7/481327/9582522/IMG_1312.jpg
http://images114.fotki.com/v145/filebuWl/b4b3c/7/481327/9582522/IMG_1313.jpg

CRAP. The program I used to upload these resized the pics. I have much higher resolution versions of these pics, I'll try to reupload them later tonight.

Chorazin

Gah, the post-PAX depression has my in it's grip. I feel like Buffy after she was yanked out of Heaven by the Scoobies. It really sucks that PAX East '12 is 13 months from now. :(

Did any other GAFfer get into the Sat night IrrationalGames party? I won an invite on Twitter and it was so fucking rad. We had an unlimited open bar (I really enjoyed my 6 Guiness'), and tons of free food waiters brought around non-stop. I played Ticket to Ride with Tim, the Product Manager, and met both Ken Levine and Cliffy B there, plus tons and tons of other Irrational Staffer. We talked about Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite (they were of course guarded about BI stuff, and I won't even share the little clues Tim dropped out of respect, before anyone asks), and even old PC games and stuff like Prey. It was all around epic and probably my favorite event from the entire con, everyone was so nice.

Frester

Chorazin said:
Gah, the post-PAX depression has my in it's grip. I feel like Buffy after she was yanked out of Heaven by the Scoobies. It really sucks that PAX East '12 is 13 months from now. :(

Did any other GAFfer get into the Sat night IrrationalGames party? I won an invite on Twitter and it was so fucking rad. We had an unlimited open bar (I really enjoyed my 6 Guiness'), and tons of free food waiters brought around non-stop. I played Ticket to Ride with Tim, the Product Manager, and met both Ken Levine and Cliffy B there, plus tons and tons of other Irrational Staffer. We talked about Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite (they were of course guarded about BI stuff, and I won't even share the little clues Tim dropped out of respect, before anyone asks), and even old PC games and stuff like Prey. It was all around epic and probably my favorite event from the entire con, everyone was so nice.

Damn, that sounds awesome. I went to JJ Foleys to drink with Giant Bomb which was awesome. Carbombs with Ryan (who said all the other GBers were pussies when it came to drinking), shots with Jeff, talked to everyone, Alex is originally from the DC area and went to a high school close to me. They also had a tab open (albeit with a cap). Tons of fun.

Foil said:
Bad Company 2 cosplay. Dice should be happy.

Bahahaha. Well played.

It seems I've caught a different kind of Pax Pox... I'm now feverishly trying to figure out if I can afford going to Pax Prime.

ultron87

ncsuDuncan said:
Bahahaha. Well played.

It seems I've caught a different kind of Pax Pox... I'm now feverishly trying to figure out if I can afford going to Pax Prime.

Not going to East this year and watching all the awesome from the outside has given me a similar affliction.

I met Tim Schafer and a bunch of other Double Finers as well, they were super cool and I had some really good conversation with them. I got a lot of insight into there development process, creative process, as well as some other interesting Double Fine tidbits.

188968_10150160220381383_617931382_8228315_7478581_n.jpg

Grifter

Someone had a shirt on with a pic of Peach & Daisy holding a green mushroom and a tagline - 2 Girls, 1-up.

Is that actually sold somewhere?

Grifter said:
Someone had a shirt on with a pic of Peach & Daisy holding a green mushroom and a tagline - 2 Girls, 1-up.

One of the booths were selling it, I think you can also get it online.

Chairhome

Grifter said:

They were actually selling that at the show. I think the name of the place was "the gaming invasion", but I can't find it on google.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
The Triple Threat: Short Subjects in Gaming
Naga Theatre
Friday, 7:30pm - 8:30pm
Our usual gaming lectures struggle to fit within an hour, but some topics, important as they may be, don’t warrant much more than twenty minutes of hard discussion. If you want to economize your PAX panels experience, look no further than the Triple Threat. We’ll take you in rapid succession through three back-to-back panels with “MMORPGs are Anything But,” “The Game Makes the Community,” and “How to Win at the Internet: The Rise of Dudebro.” From the creators of “Game Mechanics and Mechanism Design,” “Beyond Dungeons & Dragons,” “Losing Should Be Fun,” and more.
Did anybody attend this? I'd love a quick summary (just found out about it).

thcsquad

AstroLad said:
haven't they sold out every PAX? seems like the limitation is just size of the space really.

They sell out all the badges they decide to put up for sale, but they definitely didn't fill up the BCEC. It is much, much, much larger than Hynes but they didn't put up that many more badges for sale. They wanted people to have more space at this one, not fill a bigger building up to fire code.

I played some pretty sweet games:

Child of Eden - Kinect controls were better than I expected. I didn't really have much of a problem stringing together combos.

Dyad - This was in the indie alley. It's an abstract futuristic spaceship 'shooter' that has you going down a tunnel. Apparently it's a PSN game. Plus the guy who did all of the graphics and programming also made a force feedback chair for it, which was pretty sweet.

Skulls of the Shogun - fast-paced and simple strategy game. I won my match against two other players.

I saw the "Just Because You Have an Idea Doesn't Make You a Game Designer" panel, and liked the panelists so much that I saw their other panel of the weekend.

thcsquad said:
Dyad - This was in the indie alley. It's an abstract futuristic spaceship 'shooter' that has you going down a tunnel. Apparently it's a PSN game. Plus the guy who did all of the graphics and programming also made a force feedback chair for it, which was pretty sweet.

I was scared of that contraption and the "use at own risk" sign scrawled on the side of it.

thcsquad

I think the 200 lb limit was more telling and exclusionary, especially at a video game convention. I'm pretty sure the guy just witnessed the fact that it didn't break when he used it, and set his weight as the max. I manned up and did it, especially since at 140 lb, I probably wasn't going to be the one to break it.

Regardless, you had to play level one on a regular ps3 before using the machine, and some people just played it on a regular ps3 as the demo.

It was a great game, though. I'm really looking forward to it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
thcsquad said:
They sell out all the badges they decide to put up for sale, but they definitely didn't fill up the BCEC. It is much, much, much larger than Hynes but they didn't put up that many more badges for sale.d.
yeah what i mean is who knows what kind of numbers they could get. the limit is definitely not demand but space. there was certainly a lot more space this year but mostly out in the halls and stuff. the main areas (tabletop & floor) were still (understandably) rather crowded. as others have said, i was pretty impressed looking up at 1 AM and seeing tabletop still almost full. i remember last year in the default main tabletop room it was actually a lot less crowded late

OnPoint

thcsquad said:
I think the 200 lb limit was more telling and exclusionary, especially at a video game convention. I'm pretty sure the guy just witnessed the fact that it didn't break when he used it, and set his weight as the max. I manned up and did it, especially since at 140 lb, I probably wasn't going to be the one to break it.

Regardless, you had to play level one on a regular ps3 before using the machine, and some people just played it on a regular ps3 as the demo.

It was a great game, though. I'm really looking forward to it.

200 was the safe amount. I'm a little over 200 and told the dev I was sad I couldn't ride it. He asked how much I was over and I told him -- he said it was fine. He said that he had someone in as heavy as 260 at home and it moved, it just moved really slowly. Thankfully I don't quite weigh that much and it was a ton of fun.

If you guys aren't sick of looking at pictures of the event, we put a bunch up at my website. We'll have a part 2 tomrorow as well.

http://www.extraguy.com/2011/03/pax-east-2011-pictures-part-one/

Chorazin

AstroLad said:
yeah what i mean is who knows what kind of numbers they could get. the limit is definitely not demand but space. there was certainly a lot more space this year but mostly out in the halls and stuff. the main areas (tabletop & floor) were still (understandably) rather crowded. as others have said, i was pretty impressed looking up at 1 AM and seeing tabletop still almost full. i remember last year in the default main tabletop room it was actually a lot less crowded late

Tabletop was epic at night, so many people playing almost any game you wanted to play, and if they weren't and you had it, you could find tons to play with you.

I'm glad they made it a point to have the tabletop area almost as huge as the expo hall.

JackEtc

Crap, I forgot to set my DVR to record the X-Play panel at 3 today.... anyone gonna be recording it and putting it online? I think I'm gonna be on it.

Struct09

JackEtc said:
Crap, I forgot to set my DVR to record the X-Play panel at 3 today.... anyone gonna be recording it and putting it online? I think I'm gonna be on it.

They put up their last PAX Prime panel on g4tv.com about a week afterwards, hopefully they'll do the same here

Chairhome

AcridMeat said:
Thanks for the upload, really makes me want prime to be here already.
Thanks! Looking back, I didn't really get any good footage, except for the omegathon stuff. I still have a few full songs from VGO that I can put up in a few weeks, but other than that, everything that I shot was in this montage :-(. Too hard to have fun and try to get footage, haha.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Jocchan said:
The Triple Threat: Short Subjects in Gaming
Naga Theatre
Friday, 7:30pm - 8:30pm
Our usual gaming lectures struggle to fit within an hour, but some topics, important as they may be, don’t warrant much more than twenty minutes of hard discussion. If you want to economize your PAX panels experience, look no further than the Triple Threat. We’ll take you in rapid succession through three back-to-back panels with “MMORPGs are Anything But,” “The Game Makes the Community,” and “How to Win at the Internet: The Rise of Dudebro.” From the creators of “Game Mechanics and Mechanism Design,” “Beyond Dungeons & Dragons,” “Losing Should Be Fun,” and more.
Did anybody attend this? I'd love a quick summary (just found out about it).
Asking again because there seems to be no information at all about this panel, and I'm genuinely curious. Did anybody attend it?

Top Bottom