• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAX East 2011: No Dickwolves allowed...

Ark Malmeida

Neo Member
meltingparappa said:
So the official floor plan is out.

I was excited at the prospect of the 3DS being at Nintendo's booth, but now that I think about it, the fact that a demo unit isn't at the NYC Nintendo Store means it'll likely just be pokemon. I'm sure any attendee who brings their imported 3DS will get endlessly bugged in line for a glance.

Also regarding last year's stupendously long line for Limbo, there is nothing more awkward than demoing a methodical puzzle game on a showroom floor with a million people behind you.

Nice to see Microsoft with such a big presence since the 360 is my main system. Looks like a nice layout all together with a step up in the number of companies compared to last year. It'll be interesting to see what Valve, Ubisoft, and Bethesda are showing off.

meltingparappa said:

I was excited at the prospect of the 3DS being at Nintendo's booth, but now that I think about it, the fact that a demo unit isn't at the NYC Nintendo Store means it'll likely just be pokemon. I'm sure any attendee who brings their imported 3DS will get endlessly bugged in line for a glance.

Also regarding last year's stupendously long line for Limbo, there is nothing more awkward than demoing a methodical puzzle game on a showroom floor with a million people behind you.
No 3DS??? really Nintendo that would be a BIG missed opportunity if you ask me.

JackEtc

I'll be there, meeting up with some online friends like I did last year. Excited!

EDIT: Looking at the floor plan, and I don't see DICE anywhere. Sort of disappointed, I was really hoping to see something BF3 related. I know it's early, but you never know...

Nintendo had pokemon last year i think, the booth with the free pokemon bags, so i expect pokemon white and black to be the main focus of their booth :/

smh i want 3DS to be there! :'(

ubisoft could have some playable units for Rayman 3D , rabbits in time and splinter cell, which would make me laugh if they did and nintendo didn't

wait, i see a specific "pokemon booth" on the map , that could mean 3DS might be there , hype back on

OnPoint

friskykillface said:
Nintendo had pokemon last year i think, the booth with the free pokemon bags, so i expect pokemon white and black to be the main focus of their booth :/

smh i want 3DS to be there! :'(

ubisoft could have some playable units for Rayman 3D , rabbits in time and splinter cell, which would make me laugh if they did and nintendo didn't

wait, i see a specific "pokemon booth" on the map , that could mean 3DS might be there , hype back on

Pokemon has its own booth this year, right next to the Alienware one.

thefil

I'm really psyched for PAX East this year. Seems way bigger than last year; not sure I'll have close to enough time to see everything I want to.

Lesson from last year: focus less on panels, more on community activities (random games etc).

Probably going to skip the keynote, too.

Even if its not at Nintendo's booth, 3DS is confirmed to be at Capcom's booth, with SF4 and Mercenaries. Also you can buy a chibiratsu there!

Also I sincerely doubt ME3 will be there in the slightest. Maybe E3 will get a trailer with in-game footage, and Leipzig might have something, but certainly not something this close to the release of DA2.

jhawk6

meltingparappa said:
Even if its not at Nintendo's booth, 3DS is confirmed to be at Capcom's booth, with SF4 and Mercenaries. Also you can buy a chibiratsu there!

So Capcom's booth is going to be swamped, cause there a ton of people that are curious to see the 3DS

Chorazin

meltingparappa said:

Considering Nintendo is a booth and Pokemon is a different booth, I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing some hot 3DS action in person next weekend.

I'm so fucking excited for my second PAX East!!!

thefil said:
I'm really psyched for PAX East this year. Seems way bigger than last year; not sure I'll have close to enough time to see everything I want to.

Lesson from last year: focus less on panels, more on community activities (random games etc).

Probably going to skip the keynote, too.
Ditto. Especially this year's talk is heavily weighted with IGDA stuff, which may not be everyone's cup of tea.

Sorry about lack of updates in the OP, I'm out at GDC right now, and internet access for me is rare, PM me if you want to see something up there.

As for some of you guys talking about DICE, ME3, etc... EA has 5 large booth areas, I'm very certain that one of them is BF3, ME3 is a bit more sketchy.

wow really D: , yay! i was all set to stroll in at like 1 pm or 2 pm but i think i will be then when the doors open.

Dat hype!

it's funny, i lived in MA/Boston my whole life and haven't been to the location ever.

I think they could have still had it at hynes convention center, much easier to get by T and a shit load of stuff there.

oh well.

I think i will just go to the Rage/id panel.

Chairhome

Everyone should get the Conventionist app on their smartphones. I just tried it and its pretty cool. Just do it. PAX East is on there.

JackEtc

Chairhome said:
Everyone should get the Conventionist app on their smartphones. I just tried it and its pretty cool. Just do it. PAX East is on there.
Yep, I have it on Android (Droid X). It's great.

Also, finally bought a DS (Pokemon Black DSi Bundle) (Don't care about 3DS). I can't wait to have a portable to play at PAX!

JackEtc

sneaky77 said:
So this is my first time going to any of these conventions, Is there any issues getting cameras in the floor?

Regular cameras? Not at all, although watch what you tape or take pictures of. Usually everything is okay to be filmed/snapped/whatever, but one of my friends was taking pictures of our group playing Splinter Cell Conviction Co-Op, and he got told to stop taking pictures with the TVs in view.

That's the only issue I have ever seen though.

FinFan said:
(raises hands to the skies)

Dear lord, please like BioShock Infinite be playable on the expo floor!

It won't be.

Going as media here and I'm pretty excited. So many games I wanted to be playable are including Tell Tale's Jurassic Park. L.A Noire is high up on the list and I could give a shit about Portal 2. Also new Duke Forever demo playable which I'm interested in also.

Sanjuro

I didn't even know there was a thread going for it already. I'll be there again. I live in MA, but get a hotel room with friends for the entire weekend.

Coalition-PezRadar

Director of Community, The Coalition
I will be there with BuddyC in the large 2K Ganes booth showing off Duke Nukem Forever!

Come drop by and say hi, fellow NeoGAFers!

:D

Sanjuro

GBX_AdamF said:
I will be there with BuddyC in the large 2K Ganes booth showing off Duke Nukem Forever!

Come drop by and say hi, fellow NeoGAFers!

:D
...you mean I'm going to actually see live gameplay in person for Duke Nukem Forever!? fuckyea

I haven't been up on gaming as much lately. So much of the things there are awesome for me!

Wish I owned a GAF shirt for the occasional high five.
Hope this stays in Boston in the coming years as I'm only 20 minutes away. =D
IGN! Jessica Chobot? Yes Please!!!

Neverfade

First PAX here.

To those who've been before, question: Do I need to print out the receipt of my badge? The way the email reads, I only need that if I'm on will-call. I assume I can just roll up and flash that thing Wayne's World style and get in, right?

element

Excited about being on panels again this year.

Should be fun going back to Boston as well. See a bunch of friends.

OnPoint

Neverfade said:
First PAX here.

To those who've been before, question: Do I need to print out the receipt of my badge? The way the email reads, I only need that if I'm on will-call. I assume I can just roll up and flash that thing Wayne's World style and get in, right?

If it's like last year, yeah. You already have the badge so just show up, wait in line and walk through the doors.

If you guys are going to the concerts, enjoy getting in line a few hours before they start. Line starts at 4pm and the concerts don't go on until 10pm and there are people getting in line at 5pm from what I've read. So unless you don't like shitty seats, get there way in advanced.

Anybody going to the GGW party Friday night at Felt?

JackEtc

red shoe paul said:
If you guys are going to the concerts, enjoy getting in line a few hours before they start. Line starts at 4pm and the concerts don't go on until 10pm and there are people getting in line at 5pm from what I've read. So unless you don't like shitty seats, get there way in advanced.
I found that I could just walk in to the concerts, without waiting. We'd usually go in about a half an hour to an hour late, since JoCo and Anamanguchi were never openers, and we'd have no problem.

JackEtc said:
I found that I could just walk in to the concerts, without waiting. We'd usually go in about a half an hour to an hour late, since JoCo and Anamanguchi were never openers, and we'd have no problem.

That's what I did last year on Saturday, but were pretty far back in the crowd.

JackEtc

red shoe paul said:
That's what I did last year on Saturday, but were pretty far back in the crowd.
This is true. Eventually me and my friends worked our way up though, and started a mad dance pit at the Anamanaguchi concert, lol.

Chairhome

I'm pumped for this. A friend and I are flying up from Orlando on Thursday. Should I just check the PA forums for information on places to eat/visit/etc? We'll have pretty much a whole free day to do whatever in Boston on Thursday. Any off-site parties or events to hit up? I'm thinking about printing out my forum name with a NeoGAF symbol and my avatar and attaching it to my badge... too nerdy?

Chairhome said:
I'm pumped for this. A friend and I are flying up from Orlando on Thursday. Should I just check the PA forums for information on places to eat/visit/etc? We'll have pretty much a whole free day to do whatever in Boston on Thursday. Any off-site parties or events to hit up? I'm thinking about printing out my forum name with a NeoGAF symbol and my avatar and attaching it to my badge... too nerdy?

You're going to PAX, think about this statement for a moment....

Chorazin

friskykillface said:
I think they could have still had it at hynes convention center, much easier to get by T and a shit load of stuff there.

It was really, really rough last year, I'm so glad they've moved to a massively bigger space. Lines were terrible, halls were packed, the expo hall was a lot smaller that expected....

I could go on, but I won't miss the Hynes at all.

OnPoint

Chairhome said:

I'm always afraid that if I do that I'll get punched in the face or something haha

Chorazin said:
It was really, really rough last year, I'm so glad they've moved to a massively bigger space. Lines were terrible, halls were packed, the expo hall was a lot smaller that expected....

I could go on, but I won't miss the Hynes at all.

I actually preferred Hynes to the setup in Seattle this past year, but that's just me. I thought it was easier to access everything I really wanted, aside from the jamspace and the retro arcade

OnPoint said:
I thought it was easier to access everything I really wanted, aside from the jamspace and the retro arcade
Is the Jamspace typically packed?
:(
I was hoping to show off my piano skills (just learned some Banjo-Kazooie themes).

It's funny that the reason they moved was that the Hynes was cramped, but with this new venue also selling out, it'll probably be busier than ever. It's good that more people will be able to get in, and at least in terms of exhibitors, it seems like a much bigger deal than last year.

There's a ton of semi-official pre-Pax stuff to do in Boston, if you go to the official pax east forums. Maybe the most notable is a harmonix shindig. If you're just in Boston that night though, you could always just peruse the town, take in a pub crawl or eat some local cuisine.

Chairhome said:

You're going to PAX, think about this statement for a moment....

OnPoint

ncsuDuncan said:
Is the Jamspace typically packed?
:(
I was hoping to show off my piano skills (just learned some Banjo-Kazooie themes).
Depends on what's going on. If a band is playing then it's super packed. When it's open jam time there is usually lots of room in my experience

meltingparappa said:
It's funny that the reason they moved was that the Hynes was cramped, but with this new venue also selling out, it'll probably be busier than ever.

I doubt it. The new space is downright enormous compared to Hynes. It's literally like two and a half times the size. I'm sure they upped the badge count from last year, but I seriously doubt they sold two and a half times as many badges.

We actually saw this happen with PAX Prime too: their first space was too small, to the point that their last year there was absolutely miserable and they had to move to a new space; they "sold out" the new space but the visitor levels were entirely comfortable for the new space (at which point they started upping max attendance each year and it got more and more crowded again, until they started renting out more space at the venue etc. etc.)

Top Bottom