• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAX East 2011: No Dickwolves allowed...

Got my three day pass. Going with two other friends. We will be playing games late into the night in Lowell (arcade and NES/SNES) during the event as well if anyone wants to meet up.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Wolves Evolve said:
Top Tip: She says she's about 'changing the world' but her last game Evoke explicitly pushed privatization of water and lasseiz-faire capitalism as the solution to problems in sub-Saharan Africa and Latin America. Oh, and the client who paid for it was the World Bank - the same World Bank that put those two parts of the world into indentured servitude. She also dealt with criticism of all this as 'conspiracy theory', even though its all a matter of undisputed public record. The ideology of her book bends the same way, saying that all humans really want is 'more satisfying work.' She may be a great game designer, and even a genius spokesperson for games, but very very very ideologically laden to the right, IMO.
Would you still recommend her book though? I considering picking it up.

I will be there. My first gaming convention since E32001. Looking forward to seeing if the 3DS is worth picking up at launch and maybe getting some board games in with boardgaming-age.

BigAT

I'm going up with a couple of friends. This is my first time going, any past attendees have tips on how to best enjoy the experience?

creid

Getting out of work will probably be tricky, but I'll be there with 2 friends (one of which will be there semi-unwillingly.)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
i'll be there with my wife boardgamin like last year. some of us from the bg thread are getting together and any other gaffers are welcome to join as well

i will probably skip out on all the presentations -- many seem quite cool but don't justify the lines imo. will definitely hop in to some tournaments though

Corto said:
These PA talks should be available to non attendants like the TED talks. I would pay on iTunes to listen/watch some of those. Or as an option they could launch a PAX Europe. ;)
They sell PAX DVD's every year, and every year they try to get more of the panels on the DVD sets.

PAX 2009 DVD set

LiK

I went last year but I'm not going this year due to scheduling conflicts. Have fun everyone.

Protip: don't try to go to every panel. You'll go insane from the lines and running around trying to catch the next one. It made the experience less pleasant. Also see if you can meet up with a group of people if you don't have friends IRL who are interested in games.

element

LiK said:
I went last year but I'm not going this year due to scheduling conflicts. Have fun everyone.

Protip: don't try to go to every panel. You'll go insane from the lines and running around trying to catch the next one. It made the experience less pleasant. Also see if you can meet up with a group of people if you don't have friends IRL who are interested in games.
The lines should be a lot better this year since they are moving from the Hynes to BCEC, which has twice the available meeting room space, and over twice the floor space available. At most they had four panels/sessions happening at a time last year, where that should be five or more, which is more like PAX Prime in Seattle, which really never has had a problem with lines for panels.

First time going this year I can't believe there is a Bombcast panel. Does anyone know if it's chaos like the New York Comic Con with most of the panels you have to be in line at least 2 hours prior ?

shawnlreed

awilliams213 said:
First time going this year I can't believe there is a Bombcast panel. Does anyone know if it's chaos like the New York Comic Con with most of the panels you have to be in line at least 2 hours prior ?

Judging by last years PAX EAST, yes.
I waited in line 1-2 hours for a few of the panels.
You can't just keep your seat from prior talks, they empty out the theater after each presentation.
Consequently, it's just about impossible to go to two talks if they are back to back.

Interactive Fiction said:
Judging by last years PAX EAST, yes.
I waited in line 1-2 hours for a few of the panels.
You can't just keep your seat from prior talks, they empty out the theater after each presentation.
Consequently, it's just about impossible to go to two talks if they are back to back.
Last year was ridiculous because of it being new, and they had way too many people vs room. It's nowhere near as bad as Prime, and hopefully with the new center it should be better.

OP updated with dates, location, Giantbomb listing, and the potential cutoff for tickets (within 1.5 weeks). Anything else I should add?

thcsquad

My first year living in Boston, so I am definitely going. I've got a friend flying in from the Midwest to be an enforcer. I'm still undecided about driving versus taking the commuter rail in. Perhaps driving, because the last trains leave South Station around midnight.

Yuripaw

Banned
I can't decide if I should fly to go to this on my own or not. I'm afraid of flying, and it would cost a lot, but unless they start doing a PAX midwest, I'll never get to go to an event like this otherwise.

Frester

Went to it last year and will be going this year. Driving up from DC with a few friends and meeting up with a few more in Boston.

Yuripaw said:
I can't decide if I should fly to go to this on my own or not. I'm afraid of flying, and it would cost a lot, but unless they start doing a PAX midwest, I'll never get to go to an event like this otherwise.
Is there a train nearby you can take? Check this out, there are a few organized train trips (with discounts):
PAX East Train Alliance thread on PAX forums
efp8v8.jpg

classicdms

Neo Member
About that train map, it's been bothering me all day that the stretch from DC to Boston is the fuckin Sonic line of all things. As a New Yorker, I'd prefer almost anything but Sonic to rep that specific stretch of track.

/end rant about nothing

I'm going this year. Sat it out last year. As a 360 only owner I'm certainly not super excited as 2011 aint looking so hot. I love the industry as a whole though so I am looking forward to it but have no clue what I'm in for.
Being 15 minutes outside of Boston doesn't hurt.
I like my cocktails so having the venue a little further from the buzz of the city is a little bit of a bummer.

kylej

Banned
Oh shit, that's the weekend before Spring Break starts. Think I might just pick up a Friday pass like I did last year. You can kinda see most of what you want to see in a day if you're smart about it.

Yuripaw

Banned
Dreamwriter said:
Is there a train nearby you can take? Check this out, there are a few organized train trips (with discounts)
I've already looked at possible train routes, no way I could stand sitting on a couch seat for about 24 hours though.

Havok

Making the Citizen Kane of Poker Games is probably the best title for a panel in history. I hope someone records it.

ATF487

I live 40 minutes away by train, might go since it's the start of my spring break and I won't be doing anything else

thcsquad

Yuripaw said:
I've already looked at possible train routes, no way I could stand sitting on a couch seat for about 24 hours though.

Actually, I've taken the train from Chicago to Boston before, and it's not uncomfortable at all-I actually really enjoyed my trip. Amtrak coach is like flying first class. I don't even want to think about what Amtrak first class is like.

Cimarron

I can't wait! I got my 3day pass early this year. I especially liked meeting some Gaffers inthe music room. Are we going to have an official meetup? We should meet up at an event or go for dinner or drinks at some point during the weekend.

Chairhome

My 3 Day pass came in today! Excited. I was expecting a lanyard or something, and I thought my name would be on the badge. I guess not.

Driving up from Delaware myself. Anyone from Boston want to prepare me for the Madness I'm going to encounter driving up there? Everyone I talk to tells me that it's total shit and I should take the bus or train, but the times don't match up for me.

Ark Malmeida

Neo Member
Just got my 3-day pass in the mail the other day.

Excited to check out The Gunstringer since Twisted Pixel said it will be playable. It will be interesting to see what else MS has there. Saw Limbo and Raskulls for the first time there last year too.

OnPoint

Ark Malmeida said:
Just got my 3-day pass in the mail the other day.

Excited to check out The Gunstringer since Twisted Pixel said it will be playable. It will be interesting to see what else MS has there. Saw Limbo and Raskulls for the first time there last year too.

That line for Limbo was stupid long.

Chairhome said:
My 3 Day pass came in today! Excited. I was expecting a lanyard or something, and I thought my name would be on the badge. I guess not.

They give out the lanyards when you actually show up.

Ark Malmeida

Neo Member
I must have gotten lucky because I only had to wait for one person before jumping on. I did play it early in the weekend though so the buzz for it probably hadn't gotten around yet. Plus they let you play pretty much as long as you wanted so I could see how it would generate a line.

Hey can I ask a favor of someone who's going to this
March 11th...

I was wondering if you could go to the League of Legends booth and get the free Jax skin... it's just a card with a code on it. And any other free skins they give out.

I'll pay ya money for it or you can be awesome and donate :D

Thanks a lot if anyone does this

Gvaz

Banned
Argh, I just got the money recently to buy the 3 day pass too. Maybe in the next couple days I can find someone to buy it off of.

OnPoint

Heavy said:
Hey can I ask a favor of someone who's going to this
March 11th...

I was wondering if you could go to the League of Legends booth and get the free Jax skin... it's just a card with a code on it. And any other free skins they give out.

I'll pay ya money for it or you can be awesome and donate :D

Thanks a lot if anyone does this

If I end up with one I'll get it over to you.

So the official floor plan is out.

I was excited at the prospect of the 3DS being at Nintendo's booth, but now that I think about it, the fact that a demo unit isn't at the NYC Nintendo Store means it'll likely just be pokemon. I'm sure any attendee who brings their imported 3DS will get endlessly bugged in line for a glance.

Also regarding last year's stupendously long line for Limbo, there is nothing more awkward than demoing a methodical puzzle game on a showroom floor with a million people behind you.

jhawk6

3 Day pass here :) Me and 2 of my friends are flying in to partake in the festivities.

It will be our first PAX and I'm really excited as I've always wanted to attend a video game convention from a child growing up. Of course that was all about E3 but since it is no longer available to the public this must be the next best thing

Top Bottom