• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pathfinder 2e vs DnD 5e

Which are top 5 CRPG you prefer:

• Baldur's Gate

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • Baldur's Gate 2

Votes: 17 24.6%
  • Baldur's Gate 3

Votes: 54 78.3%
  • Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous

Votes: 18 26.1%
  • Pillars of Eternity

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • Pillars of Eternity 2

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • Planescape Torment

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura

Votes: 9 13.0%
  • Wastelands 3

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • Fallout

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • Fallout 2

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • Tyranny

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • Disco Elysium

Votes: 24 34.8%
  • Torment: Tides of Numenera

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • Shadowrun: Returns

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Divinity: Original Sin

• Divinity: Original Sin 2

Votes: 32 46.4%
  • Underrail

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Neverwinter Nights

• Neverwinter Nights 2

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • Icewind Dale

• Icewind Dale 2

Votes: 3 4.3%

• Total voters

Zheph

I am a deadfire enjoyer too especially with how OP magic is in that game but I don't think its as good as some of the big hits on that list IMO

Fluo

I'd love to see Pathfinder 2e game, loved Owlcat implementation of 1e.

BG3 is fun so far (30 hours in) and mostly true to 5e ruleset. Some changes are very welcome, like stat bonuses not tied to race choice, weapon switch not wasting an action/bonus action, having stacking inspiration count.
But my god, being a melee rogue in this game is a full time job. The whole melee stealthing ritual is ridiculous. Just streamline sneak attack in melee and give an option to trigger sneak attack with offhand attacks. The way it's set up, the game forces rogues to go ranged. At the same time barbs and fighters just jump around and deal ridiculous damage without all the busy work.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Maybe it matters if you are playing and then re-playing a printed campaign, but if your games are homebrew, players won't know the difference between a planned or chance encounter.
I completely disagree with that -- there's a night and day difference between a DM-written plot that unfolds according to a plan, versus a world where the DM simply puts into places factions, forces, and elements and then lets the dice drive where the story goes at each step.

I would highly recommend "A Quick Primer for Old School Gaming " by Matt Finch. The philosophy is completely different.
Another great place to start (and free, short to read) is Principia Apocrypha, which to me is the mission statement for the old-school gaming revival.

A couple relevant excerpts (advice to the DM):
DdKEIv.jpg
LcQ63l.jpg
hBiVzm.jpg

The main idea is that the DM is simply not an author who sits down to create a campaign story with pre-set beats and set-pieces. Instead, they create a world with specific factions and situations, and then let the dice determine how that develops forward into a final story and how the big conflicts arise.

Top Bottom