• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paris mayor demands black feminist festival that 'prohibits' white people be banned

Tiberius

French people who were offended invoked American civil rights leaders to chastise French black people.

Don't put Americans' names in your mouths if you don't want us in your business, k? K.
I didn't invoke rosa parks
All the french =/ french licra

Nepenthe

I don't talk about their issues, i talk about the fact you can't categorize people. Everyone suffers and some more than the others, and even more women versus men, and even more black versus white (and so arabs versus non-arabs, roms versus non-roms, etc etc). Minorities versus the mass.

When you're not from the norm, here in France, you suffer. It's true. But then, first thing first, our country disallow to categorize people by their gender, race, religion. It is forbidden. It is our law.

I don't know if they know better than me about their problems (hint: they should) and i can understand they wouldn't want to hear my opinion (hint: they should, i walk with them), but i think if they have a problem and want to talk publicly about it, they shouldn't begin by categorizing opinions by races/genders/religions.

The law isn't a perfect reflection of the sociopolitical mores of the country. Just because it's illegal to categorize people by their immutable characteristics doesn't mean- psychologically, socially, and culturally- people aren't doing that anyway. The fact that we are all using racial terms to designate the women running this as "black," and the fact that we all agree France has its own race problems regardless, proves this. So, yes, the law is the law in France and you can't note in government that someone is "black".

But so what? It's illegal in America for police to shoot people without just cause, but that doesn't actually stop them from blowing black people's brains out on the regular.

The law isn't a perfect reflection of the sociopolitical mores of the country. Just because it's illegal to categorize people by their immutable characteristics doesn't mean- psychologically, socially, and culturally- people aren't doing that anyway. The fact that we are all using racial terms to designate the women running this as "black," and the fact that we all agree France has its own race problems regardless, proves this. So, yes, the law is the law in France and you can't note in government that someone is "black".

But so what? It's illegal in America for police to shoot people without just cause, but that doesn't actually stop them from blowing black people's brains out on the regular.

It's also in our constitution. That's what prevents blatant racism.

Alej

Banned

You are right but out of the subject here.
It doesn't change the fact that it's racist to forbid a public event to people because of their gender or skin colour. It's the law, the law isn't racist, people are. So, trust the law.

Again, I'm not letting you of.
Who said "Only black women suffer from both racism and sexism, hence the need of a space only for themselves"

Cause the post you posted talking about how race and gender intersect with one and other making the experience unique.

Also my followup question, what are your thought on intersectionality?

It doesn't change the fact that it's racist to forbid a public event to people because of their gender or skin colour. It's the law, the law isn't racist, people are. So, trust the law.
But the part that required separatism weren't held in public and thus not against the law.

Nepenthe

Our constitution also says that "all men are created equal." Again, this doesn't mean racism will just magically cease to exist. Legal law is not scientific law.

I didn't invoke rosa parks
All the french =/ french licra

#NotallFrench.

Again, if you have a problem with Americans getting in your business, tell your fellow countrymen not to hijack our civil rights leaders for your righteous indignation and concern trolling against your own black women. K? K.

That's why the black-only portions of the event are private.

So what else is there to argue???

He should have made it clearer then the way the post was written it could easily be interpreted as black women were the only ones facing both racism and sexism.

They literally wrote a caveat of (anti-blackness) and talked specfically of anti-blackness... only the most uncharitable would read that post and claim they were saying only black folk experience racism.

Well, I asked that poster and another one to clarify their words, in case I misunderstood, which they didnt and I was met with hostility.

Because almost everyone else got what they were talking about.

Again, I'm not letting you of.
Who said "Only black women suffer from both racism and sexism, hence the need of a space only for themselves"

Cause the post you posted talking about how race and gender intersect with one and other making the experience unique.

Also my followup question, what are your thought on intersectionality?

But the part that required separatism weren't held in public and thus not against the law.

I did. Now if you believe that poster didnt said that, I asked myself, because I wanted to be sure and didnt got an answer.

Intersectionality ? I dont understand this word I think, the way I see it, it's basically having both things applied, in this case, racism and sexism.

They literally wrote a caveat of (anti-blackness) and talked specfically of anti-blackness... only the most uncharitable would read that post and claim they were saying only black folk experience racism.

Because almost everyone else got what they were talking about.

Not everyone.

azyless

To be honest I understood it as racism=anti-blackness as well considering they got upset about GhostTrick simply mentioning other POC.

I did. Now if you believe that poster didnt said that, I asked myself, because I wanted to be sure and didnt got an answer.

Intersectionality ? I dont understand this word I think, the way I see it, it's basically having both things applied, in this case, racism and sexism.

Well I think many of the posters and me along them would describe themselves as intersectional feminists.

Intersectionality is a very important concept to understand if we talk about privileges and discrimination.
It highligts how different people meet different challanges depending on what privileges and discrimination they face.

Found a good short film.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6dnj2IyYjE

To be honest I understood it as racism=anti-blackness as well considering they got upset about GhostTrick simply mentioning other POC.

See, that is the problem. We are talking from an intersectional point of view that backness and gender intersect and you probably have no idea what that means.

It was explained to you that they were blatantly saying only black folk experience anti-blackness racism... and that only black women experience the combination of aexism and anti-blackness.

When that was explained you then claimed they were saying that one type of racism was worse than another. Which is also completely uncharitable.

What they were saying is that each type of racism (and how it intersects with sexism) is unique and requires different tactics to combat hence why black women might want to talk amongst themselves as they would know best how to deal with the strains of racism and sexism specfic to them.

Not everyone.

Notice I actually said almost everyone.

Cyframe

Two posters actually said that. I was arguing with them and you guys jumped at me without even following the conversation.

Why am I bringing arab women ? Because, for the 1000th time, I'm not against this event in private space, but when one poster claims other have nothing to bring to the subject, I'm answering to that person "In France, it's not about white and black".

And that person claims "Only black women suffer from both racism and sexism, hence the need of a space only for themselves"

That's where I disagree. And I dont see how it's wrong to claim I'm crazy to disagree with that. Now I can understand if you dont know about France. But can you guys please stop looking at us, french people, down like this when we actually know our country a bit more ?

You aren't approaching this subject in good faith. You are speaking over Black French women who were railroaded and targeted by right-wing groups, and even your Mayor was caught up in this nonsense and she recanted. You aren't coming across as someone who understands racism in their own country. No one is saying that you can take an American context and apply to France, but please tell me why Black women who have lived their entire lives as Black women would lie about the experiences they face with anti-black racism? Can you give me an explanation?

I specifically said: Only Black women face both anti-blackness and misogyny combined. That's a fact. No other woman will face the intersection of Blackness and womanhood. Of course, women have issues, other minorities have issues, but when I take the time to say this or Black women say this, an entire subject gets derailed and their issues swept under the rug.

I don't have respect for people like you. I don't. You either don't really understand the unique experiences Black women have or you don't want to understand the difficulties. Your response is unacceptable. If you said, I'm having trouble because English isn't my native language, I would have been more than happy to explain certain things to you. But you literally lied cut out the fact that I was referring to a very specific discrimination that Black women face. And that's why I have very little patience with conversations regarding race, because people say it's not the US, while not showcasing a great understanding of their country's race relations and as if Black American Civil Rights history didn't have a global effect (Dissenters to this even mentioned Rosa Parks, so they know how influential black civil rights are).

I won't pretend for one second that I'm french. But when Black women are attacked like this, it's unacceptable. So next time you quote me, read what I typed. I said Black women specifically and you took it a certain way. That's not my problem.

He should have made it clearer then the way the post was written it could easily be interpreted as black women were the only ones facing both racism and sexism.

If you can read words I don't know how you come to this conclusion.

It's literally in the words "anti-Black".

You aren't approaching this subject in good faith. You are speaking over Black French women who were railroaded and targeted by right-wing groups, and even your Mayor was caught up in this nonsense and she recanted. You aren't coming across as someone who understands racism in their own country. No one is saying that you can take an American context and apply to France, but please tell me why Black women who have lived their entire lives as Black women would lie about the experiences they face with anti-black racism? Can you give me an explanation?

I specifically said: Only Black women face both anti-blackness and misogyny combined. That's a fact. No other woman will face the intersection of Blackness and womanhood. Of course, women have issues, other minorities have issues, but when I take the time to say this or Black women say this, an entire subject gets derailed and their issues swept under the rug.

I don't have respect for people like you. I don't. You either don't really understand the unique experiences Black women have or you don't want to understand the difficulties. Your response is unacceptable. If you said, I'm having trouble because English isn't my native language, I would have been more than happy to explain certain things to you. But you literally lied cut out the fact that I was referring to a very specific discrimination that Black women face. And that's why I have very little patience with conversations regarding race, because people say it's not the US, while not showcasing a great understanding of their country's race relations and as if Black American Civil Rights history didn't have a global effect (Dissenters to this even mentioned Rosa Parks, so they know how influential black civil rights are).

I won't pretend for one second that I'm french. But when Black women are attacked like this, it's unacceptable. So next time you quote me, read what I typed. Because I didn't like. I said Black women specifically and you took it a certain way. That's not my problem.

Billy-D_Approves.gif

#NotallFrench.

Again, if you have a problem with Americans getting in your business, tell your fellow countrymen not to hijack our civil rights leaders for your righteous indignation and concern trolling against your own black women. K? K.
This has got to be one of the stupidest posts I have ever seen on GAF, really.
Is the argument really that because a few French dared to invoke american civil rights leader, americans should feel free to impose cultural imperialism on the rest of the world? Because that's the criticism here, and that's exactly what you seem to be arguing for.
What is the fucking connection with the notallcops movement? Are you able to argue anything without idiotic strawmen and academic arguments you are not equipped to understand?
How many french black friends do you actually have? While you can certainly make an argument for this kind of event (it does not personally offend me), the idea that it represents the average ideas of french POC is anchored in complete ignorance.

I won't pretend for one second that I'm french. But when Black women are attacked like this, it's unacceptable. So next time you quote me, read what I typed. Because I didn't like. I said Black women specifically and you took it a certain way. That's not my problem.

And that's the reason why I asked you if you meant that. To me, having that into paranthesis, it was for the sake of being accurate. If I misunderstood you, then I'm sorry. But no, I'm not of bad faith, hence why I asked clarification. Keep in mind that your interlocutors arent necessarily native english speakers.

And no, it's clear you have no respect for me, because you started the conversation being disrespectful toward me.

Tiberius

I would like to know how is "anti-blackness" different than racism ( appart from targeting black people) ?
What is specific ?

Is the argument really that because a few French dared to invoke american civil rights leader, americans should feel free to impose cultural imperialism on the rest of the world? Because that's the criticism here, and that's exactly what you seem to be arguing for.
What is the fucking connection with the notallcops movement? Are you able to argue anything without idiotic strawmen and academic arguments you are not equipped to understand?
How many french black friends do you actually have? While you can certainly make an argument for this kind of event (it does not personally offend me), the idea that it represents the average ideas of french POC is anchored in complete ignorance.

That's not the criticism here. It's the pivot once fake concern trolls can't use "discrimination in public spaces" as their axe to grind. So now it's about "Americans imposing blah blah blah" despite it being a group of Black French Women.

I would like to know how is "anti-blackness" different than racism ( appart from targeting black people) ?
What is specific ?

Read a few history books and educate yourself. I mean, you don't know but are going to argue that you do know there's no difference? How would you know if you haven't bothered to go read up? Or have you read up and come to the conclusion there's no difference?

I know "But it's an honest question!". Honest answer: Go read up.

Dash27

Whataboutism at its finest.

Great answer. Give me a few days to parse through all that.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of a person's soul and this irrelevant appeal to "good" and "bad" honestly does nothing but push minorities away from you and want to convene amongst themselves.

It has everything to do with a person's first-hand experience, knowledge, and point-of-view of a particular issue as can be gleaned from how the forces of a racist society have shaped the context of any given individual's life.

The very moment you recognize racism exists is the moment you recognize that people of different colors function on different social and mental wavelengths from one another, and the moment you recognize that is the moment you automatically concede this tired routine of colorblindness and instead admit everyone is not equally capable of handling the same racial issues with equal veracity and clarity all of a sudden.

It's honestly no different from disallowing a plumber to a quantum physics meet (and before you jump on me, yes; I understand a job is not an immutable characteristic of a person, but that's not the point of the metaphor). It says nothing about the character of the plumber to conclude that he's not needed in that particular place, nor of the scientists when the plumber goes and does his job.

Putting people into their own little identity groups and assigning rules that apply only to them is going to either foment more problems or simply be suppressed and beaten back. This is not me trying to convince you, I'm just telling you what I think the result will be.

We already see it with groups fighting each other over who should speak or get the attention. It's the obvious result of granting license based on how oppressed you are. We also already see people here speaking in absolutes about blacks and whites. Where could this path lead... more or less problems. It's super obvious but I've argued politics long enough to know people double down most often ;) The new moral majority will likely end up the same as the last.

What is specific ?

Anti black racism may get you shot by the police. Generic racism may get your resume passed over because your name insinuates you are not of the majority.

That's a very basic example.

No, they said racism first, hence why I questionned that person.

You really here making this the crux of your argument? The arrangement of the words while ignoring the whole context of the post? Just comes across as disingenuous. W/e.

Do you understand that anti blackness is something specific to black people?

That's not the criticism here. It's the pivot once fake concern trolls can't use "discrimination in public spaces" as their axe to grind. So now it's about "Americans imposing blah blah blah" despite it being a group of Black French Women.

I am not arguing about the event itself. And yes, a group of Black French Women is in favor of it, not The Black French Woman. I encourage you to visit France if you can/want and find out that their opinion is more varied than you may think.
I am certainly not stopping anyone on GAF from commenting on the event. All I am saying is a lot of discussion in this thread absolutely stems from a large amount of ignorance and cultural imperialism, whether you like it or not.

Yea. No problems in France...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...f-raping-him-police-claim-it-was-an-accident/

I am not arguing about the event itself. And yes, a group of Black French Women is in favor of it, not The Black French Woman. I encourage you to visit France if you can/want and find out that their opinion is more varied than you may think.
I am certainly not stopping anyone on GAF from commenting on the event. All I am saying is a lot of discussion in this thread absolutely stems from a large amount of ignorance and cultural imperialism, whether you like it or not.

So now we are having a meta conversation about how GAF reacts to this thread and not the thread topic itself? OK. Fair. But my point is the people bitching about this don't really care about Black women in France or anywhere else. It's concern trolling.

Infinite

There are problems in France, but thank god not as cruel as USA.

No, because then again, our situations arent the same. Then again, saying that in France other racisl is just being questionned is laughable. Ever heard of arabs/blacks being thrown in the Seine ? Ever heard of what happened in colonies ?
Are you really gonna say that anti-black racism doesn't at all exists in France as a person who's not even black?

So you found an incident about a black man and that's a proof that police is specificaly targeting black people ?
The situation in france and the usa is different !

That's not what you asked me man. You asked for an example of somethung anti black vs just general racism and I gave you an example in good faith to demonstrate a difference. I never implied it was a French specific problem because you never asked for that.

Well you use the example of police mass shooting black people ...

See above.

There are problems in France

Finally at least you can admit it now. Now fall back and let people that it affects discuss it amongst themselves in private if they so choose.

but thank god not as cruel as USA.

I'm glad our suffering can serve as a soapbox for you to arrogantly dismiss the problems where you're from. You should definitely go to that meeting. It's open to the public. You might learn something.

Cyframe

And that's the reason why I asked you if you meant that. To me, having that into paranthesis, it was for the sake of being accurate. If I misunderstood you, then I'm sorry. But no, I'm not of bad faith, hence why I asked clarification. Keep in mind that your interlocutors arent necessarily native english speakers.

And no, it's clear you have no respect for me, because you started the conversation being disrespectful toward me.

Did you or did you not say my responses were shit and as an American I don't know anything about France, despite myself reading the OP and subsequent response from your own mayor?

So you did see what I put parenthesis, you ignored that to imply things I never said.

The only thing you had to do what say: What did you mean by anti-blackness in parenthesis, and I would have been more than happy to give an explanation. If someone doesn't know something, that's one thing, what you did was not just asking for clarification. Even after other posters gave you the context and additions.

Are you really gonna say that anti-black racism doesn't at all exists in France as a person who's not even black?

Wowowow. I'd never do such a thing. Anti-black racism is a thing and it killed too much in France. What I'm refuting is that poster claiming there's anti black racism and general racism arent the same thing. See, I'm not the kind of person to oppose anti black racism and other forms of racisms, which also killed too many in France.

Did you or did you not say my responses were shit and as an American I don't know anything about France, despite myself reading the OP and subsequent response from your own mayor?

So you did see what I put parenthesis, you ignored that to imply things I never said.

The only thing you had to do what say: What did you mean by anti-blackness in parenthesis, and I would have been more than happy to give an explanation. If someone doesn't know something, that's one thing, what you did was not just asking for clarification. Even after other posters gave you the context and additions.

Which I did. I asked you if you meant what I think you mean. And by good faith, I ask the same thing to Immortal who agreed with your post.
And if I had the right explanation, I'd have if course agreed with you because obviously, only black women suffer misoginy and anti black racism.

No one is saying racism isn't racism :/

They are saying the way racisn affects groups differs.

To which I replied, in the US, yes. But in France, because of our different landscape, shaped by decolonisation, we're pretty much in the same boat, hence why I'm not inherently against that meeting at all.

Wowowow. I'd never do such a thing. Anti-black racism is a thing and it killed too much in France. What I'm refuting is that poster claiming there's anti black racism and general racism arent the same thing. See, I'm not the kind of person to oppose anti black racism and other forms of racisms, which also killed too many in France.

You don't get to define people's struggles for them. That's that arrogant shit too many "allies" try to do. And it's why they feel the need to have a meeting without you to begin with. Check yourself.

Nepenthe

You already broke my record with this fuckboi nonsense.

Considering I'm an American black woman myself, I'm the last one to talk about imposing American imperialism on anyone. But that's neither here nor there; righteously offended French people started this by directly referencing an American civil rights leader who fought for American civil rights causes in order to defame the French black women organizing the festival. If the American viewpoint was completely irrelevant and unwanted, Rosa Parks would've never left their mouths. But in the same thread, French people want to say that Americans are ignorant and have no understanding of their issues and shouldn't speak about them because that's imposing (while ironically insisting their black women should listen to what everyone else has to say because suddenly we're all human beings), while on top of all of this hypocritical nonsense getting actively schooled by black Americans anyway pointing out statistical and philosophical resources that say that- yes- France does have a fucking problem with black people regardless of what your laws say.

You escalated this dumbshit into "oh, so Americans are trying to enforce their views on everyone" when the French themselves appealed to American civil rights issues in order to highlight why they were offended with the mischaracterization of the event. If you don't want us to speak on how your shit stinks, then put the Yu-Gi-Oh deck down and step away from the table.

I have intellectually contributed far more to the thread than you have.

I never asserted that this represents the average experience of POC. I asserted that A.) France has a racism problem, and it's probably a little deeper and systemic than people appealing to law and nationalism would like to admit, and B.) These women feel as if this festival was necessary (and the mayor already gave her blessing so lol why this thread still going; y'all need to take your L), and I'm more inclined to listen to them over anyone else.

Tiberius

That's not what you asked me man. You asked for an example of somethung anti black vs just general racism and I gave you an example in good faith to demonstrate a difference. I never implied it was a French specific problem because you never asked for that.

See above.
But there's general racism here i don't see anything more

They aren't the same thing. They result in different reactions and come from different roots and require different solutions.

Different btw does not mean worse or better

Imm0rt4l

Goddamn this thread is a fucking dumpster fire and vindicates black women for wanting their own damn space. A lot of y'all are reactionaries spouting false equivalencies and engaging in bad faith. If you don't have a firm understanding on racism, or intersectionality, your ass shouldn't be engaging in this discussion. Do your homework and return at another time.

Nepenthe

To which I replied, in the US, yes. But in France, because of our different landscape, shaped by decolonisation, we're pretty much in the same boat, hence why I'm not inherently against that meeting at all.

So black people don't experience racism differently from anyone else?

But there's general racism here i don't see anything more

The only reason people are using the term anti black is to highlight that racism affects different groups in unique ways. For example. In Cananda the way racism affects our Indigenous population is different than the way it affects our Asian population. If you want to address this you have to actually understand the struggles of the group you are conversing with.

I don't think this is a particularly difficult concept. Even if you don't agree with it are you really gon dig your heels in and complain about this shit (the name) instead of the actual racism itself?

Top Bottom