• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paris mayor demands black feminist festival that 'prohibits' white people be banned

Nepenthe

A white woman cannot add anything to misoginy ?
A gay man/woman cannot add anything to discrimination ?

Neither of these groups deal with the simultaneous quagmire that is racism and misogyny mixed together. In fact, there's probably more than enough articles and callouts out there about white feminism being exclusionary to women of color and white LGBT people co-opting black culture.

I myself am a black woman. But I'm also straight, and I don't feel this overwhelming need to step into LGBT spaces and make them about my plight or even assert my empathy. It's not about me, and the ills of black folks are not about white people.

Cyframe

You don't understand this topic. Back out of it.

The intersection of racism (anti-blackness) and misogyny is something only Black women deal with. Period. Black women wanting to discuss that subject amongst themselves is empowering because they don't have to explain, to outsiders what it is to be a Black woman. If you don't see any value in that type of intra-communal conversation, there's no helping you.

Tiberius

Why do you think experiences are going to be inherently the same? Or even relevant in some cases?
There's common ground after that each expérience is different

Do you think that a black woman which is harassed by her boss can't relate to a white woman in the same situation ? And vice versa ?

Imm0rt4l

That hardcore progressive mayor who was against segregation changed her mind and is allowing the segregation to continue on?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Ain't this what we been saying? Private event? Tantamount to saying "Hey you you and you let's have a meeting at my house".

How dare Black people try to find Black solutions to Black problems via Black dialogue... The nerve.

Should be added to OP. Dont see anything wrong with this.
What's more is this seems to be born out her own misunderstading. Because this shit is reactionary bait.

Wow it's almost like it turned out all this outrage was over nothing.
Mmmhmm

MWASI, the Afro-feminist collective sponsoring the three-day event, responded to the mayor's latest comments by saying it hadn't changed the festival program "an inch."

"That's what was planned from the beginning," the collective said of how the public and private spaces would be assigned.

Wow it's almost like it turned out all this outrage was over nothing.

Oh it was over something. But concern trolls will hide what it REALLY is.

Cyframe

This type of reaction is exactly why Black people want to meet amongst themselves, to begin with. The accusation of segregation when engaging with one enough for self-healing is such a sinister and downright evil conclusion to reach.

And I don't now how so-called allies don't realize this. This type of reaction is why I hold so-called allies at football field's length because it's obnoxious, demoralizing and dehumanizing, and it keeps happening.

Tiberius

She back off because outside of the room owned by the city of paris she can't do anything, it's a private property
That's not changing the core of the problem

royalan

If your answer to both is no well our view are definitely irreconcilable

What on Earth is this?

I'm a gay black man, and no I wouldn't think that I would have much of worth to add in a discussion among black women about the specific discrimination they face, except to relate stories from the black women in my life.

The experiences of minority groups are not automatically interchangeable, and it is such a point of privilege to even think that.

"I mean, it's all discrimination, right?"

Slayven

Got to adjust the advertisement
Brad-Pitt-Tumblr.jpg

Sorry but no, at first I didn't wish to reply here, but this comment made me think otherwise. I'm against safespaces in whatever shape or form. Why? Because the world should be safe for you without you having to hide somewhere. Rapists, Racists and other filth should be in jail and not kept from one space only to roam everywhere else. That it doesn't happen, means we have to fight more until it DOES happen.

A safe space is nothing more than going back to segregation because you are too scared to face them head on. And that is not how we can win this battle. Many great figures of our past fought segregation, like separate pools for women and men. Homosexuals being forces to go into the women's locker room while transgenders being forced into the men's, separate bus seats for men and women, separate drinking fountains depending on the colour of your epidermis or even separate parks.

It took us AGES to tear down only a FEW of these straight white male safe spaces, and we are far from done! Let us not put up new ones and be counter productive. Let's tear down more! The reason that a rapist can go unpunished means that it is a safespace for him, and frankly that is unacceptable.

It takes a lot of privledge to force one coping mechanism on a (perpetual) victim of discrimination regardless of what form it comes from. Just because it may work for you, doesn't mean it would for the next. Ultimately, it's just an opinion on how to move forward. The difference between you and this group is that they had the ways and means to enact their opinion on how to address this problem.

Well i've got a very long African surname , and I live in the UK. I tend to fair well in interviews. I've had my fair share of rejections but i've had more job offers. We dont use this affirmative action you use in the USA. In the UK discrimination of any kind is unlawful period. So its pointless trying to counter me using a US based word
United Kingdom employment equality law
Positive discrimination (or "affirmative action" as it is known in the US) to fill up diversity quotas, or for any other purpose, is prohibited throughout Europe, because it violates the principle of equal treatment just as much as negative discrimination. There is, however, a large exception. Suppose an employer is hiring new staff, and they have 2 applications where the applicants are equally qualified for the job. If the workforce does not reflect society's makeup (e.g. that women, or ethnic minorities are under-represented) then the employer may prefer the candidate which would correct that imbalance. But they may only do so where both candidates are of equal merit, and further conditions must be met. This type of measure is also known as positive action. Sections 158 and 159 Equality Act 2010 set out the circumstances in which positive action is allowed. Section 159, which deals with positive action in connection with recruitment and promotion (and which is the basis for the example of equally qualified applicants above), did not come into force until April 2011.[9] The Government Equalities Office has issued a guide to the Section 159 rules.[10] Section 158 deals with the circumstances in which positive action is permitted other than in connection with recruitment and promotion, for example in provision of training opportunities. Section 158 does not have the requirement for candidates to be equally qualified.​

There have been pushes especially in my field of psychology which is predominantly white to have more representation so to better serve our diverse client base and understand cultural problems which are helped by a diverse workforce.

I just reused Messofanego's rethoric
And when i read some posts which core is based on the "we colour people vs you white people" spectrum it's really disturbing

Nobody is doing that. I think that the real matter who is troublesome to some is that whites people become object of discussion like any group of people.
And also nothing "anti-white" in this since neither arabs, asian nor any other group than black women were to be allowed in those reunions.
Weirdly, arabs/asians don't bother.
As a man, i don't even understand how i could be upset that feminists/women want to speak between themselves without me.

So at the end, Hidalgo misunderstood following some 4chan type of trolling, the organizers explained it, she understood and life goes on. Next time she should go directly speak to the organizers rather than following the social media shitstorm.

Thanks for posting this. It's a very illuminating explanation of the reasoning behind these kinds of spaces.

You're welcome fam ;)

Dash27

the parts of the festival held on property would be open to everyone and "non-mixed workshops will be held elsewhere, in a strictly private setting."

I guess that's better? If you're going to self segregate, go do it privately.

Still seems like based on this and the Evergreen nonsense, topped by all the people here pushing for segregation, that this is going to be a theme. Should be fun!

akira28

Still seems like based on this and the Evergreen nonsense, topped by all the people here pushing for segregation, that this is going to be a theme. Should be fun!

lol, don't self segregate where we can see you! its racist!

'honestly I don't get why black people today are figting FOR segregation when 50 years ago blacks were fighting AGAINST segregation? I guess its only racist when its not them....'

^^someone actually said/thought/maybe even posted this white nonsense.

Dash27

Hey, you wanna throw a little party and only invite your specifically hued friends of a certain chromosome make up... who's gonna stop you. Public space festival is more problematic, and more cost to print up the no whites and no men signs.

akira28

Hey, you wanna throw a little party and only invite your specifically hued friends of a certain chromosome make up... who's gonna stop you. Public space festival is more problematic, and more cost to print up the no whites and no men signs.

you're really really late to the game, friendo. maybe you can find some hotdogs at the concession stand though, they're about to close too.

'honestly I don't get why black people today are figting FOR segregation when 50 years ago blacks were fighting AGAINST segregation? I guess its only racist when its not them....'

^^someone actually said/thought/maybe even posted this white nonsense.

Public space is for the eh.. public. The idea to deny people the access of public space based on skin color and gender is absurd and unlawful.

Imm0rt4l

Well this I'll agree happens. Nobody likes liberals. That's no reason to lump all whites in with them.

Lolol

I mean liberals aint shit, I agree. But they at least have some redeeming qualities unlike conservatives who are just trash. Evidence by some in this thread, white reactionaries everywhere, decrying reverse racism to an event they'd have no interest in anyways. Just anti-black nonsense

Its not even a matter of "better", this was always the plan. If imagine it would be constructive without racists/sexist and concern trolls centering themselves like in this thread

Dash27

you're really really late to the game, friendo. maybe you can find some hotdogs at the concession stand though, they're about to close too.

You need to run that through google translate again. Cause... ??

Think. It's ok to keep out specific people if you are oppressed. But, in cases where more, or equally oppressed members come then it's a 2/3rds majority vote on if they can be excluded. In cases where there can be no determination of who is the most oppressed, it goes into overtime and the first person to score wins.

But yeah, all this fun banter aside, I can't speak for French politics so who knows. In the US, seems like this "debate" is coming. At least the memes will be entertaining.

akira28

But yeah, all this fun banter aside, I can't speak for French politics so who knows. In the US, seems like this "debate" is coming. At least the memes will be entertaining.

at least you can entertain yourself.

Cause... ??

this thread has been going on for a while, its actually winding down, and if you're trying to engender some more discussion you're going to have to do better than the 4chan/redditor tldr synopsis you tried to open with. Maybe the coach will toss you a couple pitches, but you're too late to play.

The idea is to generate discussions and consciousness who would lead to organization and action. How do you reach to new people doing this privately ? It's not separation for separation but for a specific political goal.

I'm just pretending you're not trolling.

Dash27

The idea is to generate discussions and consciousness who would lead to organization and action. How do you reach to new people doing this privately ? It's not separation for separation but for a specific political goal.

I'm just pretending you're not trolling.

I appreciate the sincere effort but yes, I understand about organizing and action. What they want to do is clear. We're just not going to agree on the method.

You're operating under the assumption that different groups can operate on different rules based on whatever you decide about their race, gender, identity.

So we just fundamentally disagree.

Top Bottom