• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paris mayor demands black feminist festival that 'prohibits' white people be banned

And if this event was invitation based, then we wouldn't have this topic. If you only want a certain group there, target your event towards that group.

The same right wing folks that are stressed about this absolutely would be talking about it.

The problem is having an event, and then split that event up by race. By all means, have an event and sent out invitations to the people you actually want there. But don't have an event and then split the people up by race.

Like it was already stated it's been done in France before based on gender. Not an issue. Private event.

Not gonna sit here and shit on the manner in which Black women in France approach dealing with their problems.

Especially when no one is upset at the gender split event only the racial one.

Like I said I wish people were half as outraged at the shit Black people (and minorities in general) have to deal with worldwide. Maybe if they were there wouldn't bee a need for meetings like this.

Words have connotations.

Calling this "segregation" is disingenuous.

So whats the word you use when you want to separate someone based on their colour.

It is, technically, segregation.

However, the issue is not actually the word, but the inevitable equivalence of this to actual historical and political segregation by people who just want us to "say it" just because you can call it that, because that's how this thread has already gone.

Oh so it is Segregation , at last we arrive at an answer.

Well where i'm from its called positive discrimination, and its unlawful

hahahhahahahahahahah Wow. So now we are literally at the part where you admit you think affirmative action is bad. Thanks for that one.

All segregation used around the world have the same base meaning of separating people based on race, sex religion etc... Has there been an instance in which segregation was used differently?

Again, your entire argument was that all segregation is equally bad, when anyone with common sense can easily tell you "no they aren't".

Do you think that segregating which states in the US could change voting laws on their own and which ones had to go through pre-clearance was just as bad as the kind of segregation that the Fair Housing Act tackled?

I mean according to your bad argument they are both segregation and thus both bad, right?

Wow, such good sarcasm, that was totally my point and the alternative to an online forum discussion is an intellectual colloquium!
As I understand your point it is that people doesnt know enough for you to get your point through?

If that is the case why join the discussion from the beginning.

hahahhahahahahahahah Wow. So now we are literally at the part where you admit you think affirmative action is bad. Thanks for that one.

I wont want an employer to give me a job just because i'm Black so they can fill their diversity quota. I want to earn it. So yeah positive discrimination in a work place is not cool.

The same right wing folks that are stressed about this absolutely would be talking about it.
I don't tend to listen too much to right wing media, so I wouldn't know about that. Yet this one got reported in pretty mainstream press and even anti-racist organisations weighed in on it.

Like it was already stated it's been done in France before based on gender. Not an issue. Private event.

Not gonna sit here and shit on the manner in which Black women in France approach dealing with their problems.

Especially when no one is upset at the gender split event only the racial one.

Like I said I wish people were half as outraged at the shit Black people (and minorities in general) have to deal with worldwide. Maybe if they were there wouldn't bee a need for meetings like this.
I agree with the last part you say here. I hope nobody in this topic is actually honestly outraged about it, but just thinking: well this wasn't a smart way to set up such a thing. At least, that is my view, since I understand why they would want to have an event to talk about their issues. It's just a bit strange to me that a lot of people want to defend the way they set it up.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Your flawed argument of "this is technically segregation therefor we should totally compare it to more commonly referred to examples of segregation" doesn't work because not all segregation is exactly the same. This isn't some event where black feminists are trying to keep white people and men in lower classes.
No, this is an event where a few organizers decided that non-black-non-female people cannot possibly offer any form of support, so they, erm, isolated those in a minority area. Based on gender and skin color. Ok, so far so good, perhaps a commonly-discriminated individual would feel more at ease if they found themselves at a more gender- and racially-coherent environment (and the implied 'educate-a-white person' would not happen; apropos, our societies rely on perpetual education for their existence - be that of kids, illiterate people, unskilled people, or people who just don't understand me (tm). How did organizers decide to organize that - as a public event, subject to public event sanctions by the law! Well, for good or bad, that law seems to be so color-blind that it does not recognize the nuance of this particular event. So the event gets banned.

Some of the responses so far in this thread:
'Fuck the law'
'Fuck the non-discriminated'
'Fuck the dictionary'

They are just making a ruleset for a festival to further promote the causes of black feminism.
The road to hell is paved with.. Never mind.

Only white people (or however you spell it these days apparently), yet "French anti-racist and antisemitism organisations strongly condemned the festival".

If I had a dollar for all the times people who are anti racist have been racist (most often by saying the don't se colour), I'd be a thousandear.
People think anti-racist and feminist groups all see eye to eye but it isn't so.
Any group claiming that they are against racism but won't let the oppressed groups define their struggle isn't really against racism.
Very simple.

Yes. However, that doesn't automatically make it the wrong course to take.

Only if you have an agenda and are unwilling to look at the context for why they're doing this.

Black folk struggling in France for generations? Barely a blip on the radar.

A few Black women have an exclusive meeting: "OMG the racism thus is so wrong!"

I just can't take the outrage seriously given the history of indifference.

Coffinhal

What you would call this what organizers are doing then?

I asked earlier, but no one replied to me :(

A get-together/meeting of people directly concerned by the same (racial) issue
Self-emancipation meeting with chosen non-diversity

A beginner's guide to why it isn't segregation (French)

As I understand your point it is that people doesnt know enough for you to get your point through?

If that is the case why join the discussion from the beginning.

Read again.

If I had a dollar for all the times people who are anti racist have been racist (most often by saying the don't se colour), I'd be a thousandear.
People think anti-racist and feminist groups all see eye to eye but it isn't so.
Any group claiming that they are against racism but won't let the oppressed groups define their struggle isn't really against racism.
Very simple.
Or they have a different opinion on how to handle the problem. This does not mean they are wrong, they just have a different viewpoint from you, and that is OK.

Derwind

Okay, I've asked you a question. What is the Alternate meaning of Segregation using your Social, political, historical contextualised method..

Segregation involves dividing groups of people up based on an ideology that one group is superior to the other and should not mix. Resulting in services like housing, education, healthcare..ect being divided. More than that it's about enforcing dominance over another group.
Segregation has the marginalized in mind when it's done. That's what oppression looks like.

There is very deep context that is missed by a simple dictionary definition.

Kinyou

I don't know, or care, if it's easy, but it's true. An ill-informed opinion is irrelevant, yet they flood that kind of polemical thread. You can disagree but at least know what you're talking about, otherwise it's a poor debate.

Fortunately there are some well-informed posters who are trying to stick to facts and debunking clichés thanks to their knowledge of the topic. I hope they succeed in convincing other people or at least giving them a better understanding of what is at stake here.
Yeah, it's true. What I'm not sure is true is that everyone who disagrees with the festival is also ill-informed.

Only if you have an agenda and are unwilling to look at the context for why they're doing this.

It's the same shit worldwide for us. Majority only wants to clutch their pearls when there is even the slightest hint of their exclusion. They aren't ever going to do shit for us but want to pretend like they are somehow enlightened.

I wont want an employer to give me a job just because i'm Black so they can fill their diversity quota. I want to earn it. So yeah positive discrimination in a work place is not cool.

Go tell that to minorities living in America who literally don't even have any chance of getting accepted for a job they are perfectly qualified unless:

1) They falsify their resume to make themselves appear more "white"

2) employers are required by affirmative action to start hiring minorities instead of just turning down every resume they see that doesn't look "white enough"

Seriously your ignorance is astounding.

No, this is an event where a few organizers decided that non-black-non-female people cannot possibly offer any form of support, so they, erm, isolated those in a minority area. Based on gender and skin color. Ok, so far so good, perhaps a commonly-discriminated individual would feel more at ease if they found themselves at a more gender- and racially-coherent environment (and the implied 'educate-a-white person' would not happen; apropos, our societies rely on perpetual education for their existence - be that of kids, illiterate people, or people who just don't understand me (tm). How did organizers decide to organize that - as a public event, subject to public event sanctions by the law! Well, for good or bad, that law seems to be so color-blind that it does not recognize the nuance of this particular event. So the event gets banned.

Some of the responses so far in this thread:
'Fuck the law'
'Fuck the non-discriminated'
'Fuck the dictionary'

The road to hell is paved with.. Never mind.

No they didn't decide that non-minorities have nothing to contribute. They just want the centerpiece of a festival about BLACK FEMINISM to actually be focused on black feminists.

They don't want it to be like that picture of "black republicans" where it's literally just all white people.

Nepenthe

I mean, come on, you know what he meant.

I literally don't know because I don't play the guessing game that well.

Affirmative action? Clearly they do fucking use it because he knows what it is and gawked at the common misconception that it's a quota system.

Also, it's two words. You know, I just fucking assume people on GAF can count.

EDIT: Thanks for answering my second question Rattle. Now can you answer my first?

Yes, the outrage is over the top.

However, if the event has received any public funding, I can understand that the situation might be perceived as problematic as it comes off as discriminatory.

Tiberius

Yes (not just schools), but don't take my word on it, take it from the leaders.
When even the president and prime minister disagree with the idea of ghettos...

"I don't want ghettos in the republic, not ghettos for the poor, not ghettos for the rich!" - Francois Hollande

(Although nothing happened of it)

After the Charlie Hebdo and kosher supermarket attacks by French gunmen from poor backgrounds, the prime minister, Manuel Valls, made the most damning indictment yet of the country’s bitter social divide, saying there was “territorial, social and ethnic apartheid” in France.​
More than 4.4 million people live in the toughest parts of the banlieues classed as priority zones, where, segregated along race and class lines, they face what Hollande has called “unbearable discrimination”.​

Read a bit about the banlieues, here's a quick primer.
Guardian - 'Nothing's changed': 10 years after French riots, banlieues remain in crisis

Maybe even watch a couple of movies about them, La Laine and Girlhood.
Girlhood_poster.jpg

Haine.jpg

Watch a documentary:
Living in Lyon's banlieues: https://youtu.be/AVQkOW5PXPI
"In this documentary, residents of French suburban slums (banlieue) tell their stories of exclusion and discrimination by employers and the legal and prison systems which prevent them from participating in French society and 'normal' life. As they see it, they are paralyzed by marginalization, while the rest of society enjoys economic prosperity and consumerism. It is a downward spiral with no way out; the documentary exposes their plight and illustrates the ways in which government and society maintain these circumstances."​
I don't deny there's racism problems but the problem in the cité is more than just racism, you have people in some suburbs (in paris for example) where you can be white, black, yellow or orange it's the cité that define you and block you from getting a job because of its bad reputation
That's the same in some part of the "Nord" where's there is mostly poor uneducated white people (seen as the equivalent of the white trash in usa)
Government tried to promote social mixity but failed

It's a difficult discussion to have here because basically, some people here just dont have the same vision because of the country they live in.

In France, we dont talk about race. Heck, if you pronounce that word on TV, you're done for. We don't do ethnic statistics. Recently, I've been shocked to learn that in USA, job interviews would ask about your ethnicity. In France ? This wouldnt fuckin happen and for good reason.

So yes, in USA, I would have no problem with such event happening, because this country is used to make distinctions between ethnicities and it's legitimate then for such movement to have their own time.

In France, in a country where the premise is that you should never be considered by your skin color, such an event as no reason to happen.

I also feel like that UK or USA folks also have a different view on how minorities have to deal with things in France. Heck, on the minority subject itself.
We don't have the same history and ethnical minorities in France dont either, especially considering France's colonial past.

Go tell that to minorities living in America who literally don't even have any chance of getting accepted for a job they are perfectly qualified unless:

1) They falsify their resume to make them appear more "white"

2) employers are required by affirmative action to start hiring minorities instead of just turning down every resume they see that doesn't look "white enough"

Seriously your ignorance is astounding.

Well i've got a very long African surname , and I live in the UK. I tend to fair well in interviews. I've had my fair share of rejections but i've had more job offers. We dont use this affirmative action you use in the USA. In the UK discrimination of any kind is unlawful period. So its pointless trying to counter me using a US based word

I mean, we have had about 2 pages of going back and forth on if this is segregation. Call it segregation if you want, there is still no intelligent argument out there that can point as to why this is a bad thing. Oh "separating by race is bad", then why are people suggesting they do it in private and then it's fine? Because you don't wanna feel like you were left out, that's all it is. A bunch of black feminist women wanna convene and have a discussion actually centered on them, who fucking cares?

We all know this isn't a big deal. People are just jumping on the "optics" because reasons.

Yes, the outrage is over the top.

However, if the event has received any public funding, I can understand that the situation might be perceived as problematic as it comes off as discriminatory.

The same motherfuckers angry about this wouldn't go to the damn thing begin with. Just contrarians.

Or they have a different opinion on how to handle the problem. This does not mean they are wrong, they just have a different viewpoint from you, and that is OK.

Fuck wypipo needing the press their fucking seal of approval on everything PoC do.

Why must wypipo insert themselves in struggles that aren't theirs? That is the fucking point of said struggle, that PoC should decide what is important.

Coffinhal

Part of the problen here is that segregation, racism, and sexism have very basic mechanical actions that constitute them, yet they import the important historical baggage of past uses of those actions. So the discussion gets muddied becaise of those terms.

Yes, the event does physically separate people on the basis of race (simple segregation) and as such it discriminates on the basis of race (simple racism). Similarly, women's shelters discriminate who they offer shelter to on the basis of sex (basic sexism, if by gender then basic gender discrimination).

This means that calling this event racist is technically true.

Now is that a problem? Only if you think that all racism is bad. Whether there can be good racism is really what is at stake here. I think it is clear that there are circumstances in which racism can be good (e.g., open conversation about issues associated with how your race is treated.) I think that this very narrow range of clearly okay drifts into grey pretty quickly (e.g., what if a topic for the closed sessions was "how should black people deal with the Chinese?").

That's a pretty interesting discussion.

What is missing in your reasoning is that that kind of event of a women's shelter are here to protect/help minorities to emancipate from the domination/oppression of a dominant group in the society. Therefore "racism", "sexism", "segregation" etc. are words that can only be used in one way in the current state of things.

The far-right is trying to push the use of these words ("racism anti-white", "feminazi" or whatever) in order to carry on their domination because they feel threatened by the power of emancipation through empowerment. Don't fall in their trap. If you don't believe that there is no dominant/dominated in our society, it's another issue.

MikeyB

I literally don't know because I don't play the guessing game that well.

Affirmative action? Clearly they do fucking use it because he knows what it is and gawked at the common misconception that it's a quota system.

Also, it's two words. You know, I just fucking assume people on GAF can count.

EDIT: Thanks for answering my second question Rattle. Now can you answer my first?

The weight of your argument (which I mostly agree with) is diminished by your lack of charity to the other side.

It's a difficult discussion to have here because basically, some people here just dont have the same vision because of the country they live in.

In France, we dont talk about race. Heck, if you pronounce that word on TV, you're done for. We don't do ethnic statistics. Recently, I've been shocked to learn that in USA, job interviews would ask about your ethnicity. In France ? This wouldnt fuckin happen and for good reason.

So yes, in USA, I would have no problem with such event happening, because this country is used to make distinctions between ethnicities and it's legitimate then for such movement to have their own time.

In France, in a country where the premise is that you should never be considered by your skin color, such an event as no reason to happen.

I also feel like that UK or USA folks also have a different view on how minorities have to deal with things in France. Heck, on the minority subject itself.
We don't have the same history and ethnical minorities in France dont either, especially considering France's colonial past.

I'm all for letting Black people in France figuring out the best approach to solve their problems.

Nepenthe

Well i've got a very long African surname , and I live in the UK. I tend to fair well in interviews. I've had my fair share of rejections but i've had more job offers. We dont use this affirmative action you use in the USA. In the UK discrimination of any kind is unlawful period. So its pointless trying to counter me using a US based word

So now you're making distinctions between the political context of words as they apply to different situations in the UK and the US by conveniently yet clumsily saying that "oh, well, we don't have that word here," (which doesn't make sense; how the fuck do you not have the words "affirmative action" in the UK when both areas speak the same damn language, and you also know the term?), when the past hour you've been trying to equivocate all "segregation" as the exact same regardless of historical and political context because "well, the Oxford dictionary says what it is so you can't say one instance is better than the other!"

You're a hypocrite. Surely you have that word in the UK.

The weight of your argument (which I mostly agree with) is diminished by your lack of charity to the other side.

I honest to God didn't know what he meant, hence why I asked politely for clarification.

You came at me with the implication that I was being deliberately obtuse; had he clarified or I was 100% sure, I would've went into the argument full steam ahead.

So don't talk to me about being charitable.

Azzanadra

This is disappointing to hear, I agree with the mayor. If there is one thing I know about France is that they value integration and this is segregation, pure and simple- really doesn't help at all in improving race relations.

Time truly is a flat circle.

I'm guessing it has to do with the fact that in the UK the laws are set up so that it is much easier to prove that racial discrimination took place than in the US.

But don't pretend that the kind of bigotry that is rampant in the US isn't also a significant problem in Europe. Just because it instead takes the face of the more Northern US type of bigotry doesn't mean it's not there.

I mean for Christ's sake, France just had an election where a Nazi got a third of the vote, mostly because a lot of French people want to blame all their problems on minorities, particularly muslims, so lets not hold it against minority feminists if they want to best promote themselves by not having something like THIS happen:

JQDWr

MikeyB

What is missing in your reasoning is that that kind of event of a women's shelter are here to protect/help minorities to emancipate from the domination/oppression of a dominant group in the society. Therefore "racism", "sexism", "segregation" etc. are words that can only be used in one way in the current state of things.

The far-right is trying to push the use of these words ("racism anti-white", "feminazi" or whatever) in order to carry on their domination because they feel threatened by the power of emancipation through empowerment. Don't fall in their trap. If you don't believe that there is no dominant/dominated in our society, it's another issue.

No, I get that and believe that there are dominated people in society. But as long as those words have very simple definitions based on a mechanical action of separating people on the basis of race, sex, gender, or class, you can never get away from the broad "X is racist" claim. Never ever. And I don't think the simple definitions will disappear, as flexible as language may be.

My solution is just to say that some instances of discrimination and physical separation are a-ok.

I'm all for letting Black people in France figuring out the best approach to solve their problems.

First of all:
Black people in France don't all have the same issues.
As I said, the thing with minorities in France is complicated matter because we dont have the same history.
Some black people are catholic, some are muslims, some are atheist. This very fact alone change the way they deal with things every day.
It's also related to origins. Some are French since generations because their ancestors are from DOM-TOM, others may be from ex-colonies, which drastically change their view on their own country and history.
There's not one block called "black people" in France.

These facts alone is why you cant deal with that the same way you do in USA.
And it's not only about that. I know that in USA, it's mostly a black/white issue, but in France, it's more complicated than that as ex-colonies means there's also a lot of french people with arab origins or asian origins.

Well since there aren't any law broken, why not?

"Should be"

Very relevant. Fake outrage with no real interest in the problems facing the very people they're bitching about?

Nah.

Attacking the source of a criticism is the height of laziness when you don't want to actually engage with said criticism.

You can't just dismiss a criticism because of its source, particularly when it has caused so much debate even on Neogaf, which is essentially a far left echo chamber. Ignoring it just makes the left look out of touch.

First of all:
As I said, the thing with minorities in France is complicated matter because we dont have the same history.
Some black people are catholic, some are muslims, some are atheist. This very fact alone change the way they deal with things every day.
It's also related to origins. Some are French since generations because their ancestors are from DOM-TOM, others may be from ex-colonies, which drastically change their view on their own country and history.

And it's not only about that. I know that in USA, it's mostly a black/white issue, but in France, it's more complicated than that as ex-colonies means there's also a lot of french people with arab origins or asian origins.

While that is true. I'm going to guess that they all have an alignment of despising the rise of people like LePen?

"Should be"

Attacking the source of a criticism is the height of laziness when you don't want to actually engage with said criticism.

You can't just dismiss a criticism because of its source, particularly when it has caused so much debate even on Neogaf, which is essentially a far left echo chamber. Ignoring it just makes the left look out of touch.

NeoGAF is not a far left echo chamber...

Only white people (or however you spell it these days apparently), yet "French anti-racist and antisemitism organisations strongly condemned the festival".

You literally don't know what you're talking about here.

SOS Racisme was a political response to a mouvement against racial discrimination in the 80's. It was created by member of the french Socialist Party (which so happens to be Ann Hidalgo's political party). And was (in my opinion) a political move made to garner the immigrants vote. Ever since the creation of the party there's been this weird attachment to the Socialist Party so much so that they're was a separation in the early 2000's because the organisation was used to prop up young aspiring Socialist figures, not to mention the several financial fraud.

As for the LICRA let me use some quotes from its president:

Avec 15 ministres, ça va être difficile, à moins que peut-être on ait un transgenre, ou je ne sais quoi. On est vraiment dans le délire.

With 15 minister it's going to be hard, unless if maybe we have a transgender person or something like that. We've gone completely mad

That was about gender parity in the government. He never apologised.

During a news segment about police brutality against two young black people (one dead and one raped), the journalist named some french celebrities who signed a petition to stop such acts. (Omar Sy, Yannick Noah and Eric Cantona were among the celebrities listed) He's first response?

Doesn't sound like french names to me

He also said that islamophobia was an imposture to fight against.

I could go on and on about both of those sham of organisations but they're not an authority on what's racist or not.

I could provide links to all those claims if you want, they're in french though.

First of all:

There's generally a huge list of common issues though.

-Discrimination to get a job
-Discrimination to get a place to rent
-Segregation in the banlieue which entail low school success rate and high unemployment
-Discrimination regarding the number of time the police will search you for no reason
-Just plain old regular people being scared of you because of your religion or the colour of your skin

I'm pretty sure most black people as well as north African faced those issues pretty regularly and way more then other types of peoples.

While that is true. I'm going to guess that they all have an alignment of despising the rise of people like LePen?

Well, not all of them. Of course, it's a minority, but then again, it's about personal history and because some are deeply into catholicism, they may be more into right, even far right.
But mostly yes.

You literally don't know what you're talking about here.

SOS Racisme was a political response to a mouvement against racial discrimination in the 80's. It was created by member of the french Socialist Party (which so happens to be Ann Hidalgo's political party). And was (in my opinion) a political move made to garner the immigrants vote. Ever since the creation of the party there's been this weird attachment to the Socialist Party so much so that they're was a separation in the early 2000's because the organisation was used to prop up young aspiring Socialist figures, not to mention the several financial fraud.

As for the LICRA let me use some quotes from him:

That was about gender parity in the government. He never apologised.

During a news segment about police brutality against two young black people (one dead and one raped), the journalist named some french celebrities who signed a petition to stop such acts. (Omar Sy, Yannick Noah and Eric Cantona were among the celebrities listed) He's first response?

He also said that islamophobia was an imposture to fight against.

I could go on and on about both of those sham of organisations but they're not an authority on what's racist or not.

I could provide links to all those claims if you want, they're in french though.

Great post :)

Top Bottom