• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PARAMORE |OT| Line up changes, emo angst, and guilty pleasures (oh, and Hayley gifs!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

daffy

Banned
lol, it's definitely got some stinkers, but some songs are fun to groove to. Pretty sure the band said in an interview they wanted to make songs for dancing, and it shows. Not really a good album to just sit and listen to.
Just finished it. My left toe was grooving for sure. Who ok'd No Friend for the final cut? Jeesh.. sounds like someone's toilet ramblings recording from the other side of the door.

Standouts:
Hard Times
Idle Worship
Fake Happy
Tell Me How

Ehh ultimately not too bad I guess. But they could be so much better. Very middling.

NinjaBoiX

OK, about halfway through the first listen, really like 26 and the main melody to Pool is lush (sounds a bit like ambient-era Aphex Twin) but a lot of the rest is fairly homogenised, 80's sounding synth pop.

I hate 80's pop music.

ZeoVGM

Banned
80s pop is so good. This album is so good.

Honestly, I love seeing bands grow up like this. It's why they are one of the few bands from the 2000s that have managed to remain relevant. Love it.

Protome

Tell Me How sounds like a watered down Banks song (not a bad thing!)

If music were like videogames we would have gotten a day one patch to fix/remove No Friend.

Liking the album overall. I think Hard Times and Fake Happy are the only songs I feel strong about though.

Ragnaroz

There isn't a single song on this album that I don't dislike... Why, why 80s pop??? Oh well, I guess I still have the old Paramore stuff.

Peru

First listen, all killer no filler. And I think Hayley really lets loose on several of the tracks, showing her range. Love how the songs start off sprightly, then the existential uneasiness of the lyrics hit you and then there's some moment of catharsis in most of the songs.

KevinG

If music were like videogames we would have gotten a day one patch to fix/remove No Friend.

Liking the album overall. I think Hard Times and Fake Happy are the only songs I feel strong about though.

No Friend is awesome because it features guest vocals from Aaron Weiss of mewithoutYou. They're buried in the mix, but I am excited he had such a prominant feature in the album.

valeo

No Friend is awesome because it features guest vocals from Aaron Weiss of mewithoutYou. They're buried in the mix, but I am excited he had such a prominant feature in the album.

But...do you like the song? Or just the fact someone you like guested?

The song is absolute trash

DJChuy

The first half is excellent, but the album falls apart after 26. The second half ranges from ok to good aside from No Friends which sucks. I can see Fake Happy being a single.

It still sounds like a band effort unlike Linkin Park and Maroon 5 recent songs.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
My only disappointment with the album is that there isn't any one song on it better than Ain't It Fun.

NinjaBoiX

So I've listened to it all through once, meh. It's just all sounds a bit soft and limp and even worse, a bit boring. I dunno man, it's like they made a decision to go fully pop but didn't want to sound too excited about it.

Standouts for me were definitely Pool and 26 but I could take or leave the rest.

Probably leave to be honest...
Haha, it really does!
My only disappointment with the album is that there isn't any one song on it better than Ain't It Fun.
What's the big deal with Ain't It Fun? People go nuts for it, it's probably one of my least favourite from their entire catalogue.
Why's everyone saying this sounds like 80s pop? This sounds nothing like 80s pop music.
It sounds EXACTLY like 80's pop, big on synths, heavily filtered drums, angular guitar riffs with loads of refrain, etc.

Are you serious? It's the first thing to immediately jump out at me.

Jonnax

Gave the album a listen. Nothing at all stood out to me, like I can't even hum one song.

Was listening on Spotify and after the album finished a song started playing. I was like 'Ah, they saved an interesting one for the end.' but it was Emergency. 😅

NinjaBoiX

It's not bad music, it just doesn't interest me. I like pop music but this is just too saccharine.

It's just VERY juvenile, the kind of music I'd be embarrassed by if someone caught me listening to it. I mean, they've always had a teenage demographic but this is the kind of stuff I can imagine her plugging in TeenBeat Magazine, half her face obscured by the free lollipop on the cover.

jwk94

It sounds EXACTLY like 80's pop, big on synths, heavily filtered drums, angular guitar riffs with loads of refrain, etc.

Are you serious? It's the first thing to immediately jump out at me.
Hell yeah I'm series. Listen to Pat Benatar, Cyndi Lauper, or Blondie and then listen to this album. Those 80s artists had power and presence behind their voices, this album mostly lacks that which is surprising, IMO, given that seems to be a staple of Paramore songs. Most of this album just sounds like a defeated, depressed Paramore.

Never heard this song. That was pretty good.

Fjordson

I'm really liking this album. Which is surprising because I've never been interested in Paramore before this. Think they've transitioned to pop music quite well.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
It's just VERY juvenile, the kind of music I'd be embarrassed by if someone caught me listening to it

I can't even fathom how someone can possibly feel this way about this album and not their old stuff.

What's the big deal with Ain't It Fun? People go nuts for it, it's probably one of my least favourite from their entire catalogue.

Don't go cryin'

To your mama

Cuz you're on your own

In the real world

It's a masterpiece. Easily their best song and 2nd place isn't even close.

C_pMOuNXgAEfPyC.jpg
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

What the heck is that thing? Some kind of square with music inside?

its called a CD
While I'm very militant about physical games, I've only started on the physical media dealio for music recently. Only getting stuff that's really important to me kinda like my bluray policy.

So right now that means the Suicide Squad OST and After Laughter on CD. I plan on getting every other Paramore album on CD and Vinyl (even though I don't have a Vinyl player) because PARAMORE IS THE BEST BAND IN THE UNIVERSE WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

LiQuid!

So this is the weakest album?

I considering getting it but you guys saying its light .

Whole album is up on their youtube page just go listen to it and see if you like it.

NinjaBoiX

I can't even fathom how someone can possibly feel this way about this album and not their old stuff.
I do feel like this about their old stuff but to a much lesser extent, they were always "tweemo" but I dunno, they're a decent band making solid music so it never really bothered me. Self-Titled felt like experimenting with pop but with a fairly mature approach, this feels like diving head first off the stage into the Taylor Swift crowd.

I've always felt a little uneasy being into a band like Paramore as it's not the kind of stuff I usually listen to at all, but this record has sent me from uneasy to "pushed into the middle of the road naked" levels with it's bubblegum excess.
People assume synthpop is 80s pop.
Not really, no.
I considering getting it but you guys saying its light .
What?

It's not bad music, it just doesn't interest me. I like pop music but this is just too saccharine.

It's just VERY juvenile, the kind of music I'd be embarrassed by if someone caught me listening to it. I mean, they've always had a teenage demographic but this is the kind of stuff I can imagine her plugging in TeenBeat Magazine, half her face obscured by the free lollipop on the cover.

Man, my sister messaged me yesterday after she finished listening to the album and she was telling me about just how hard the record's lyrics hit her, especially considering all of the stuff she went through last year (including a big divorce). I'm not gonna lie, I've connected pretty hardcore with the lyrics of everything they've put out (I found myself sobbing in the shower to the second half of AWKIF a few weeks ago lol), but the lyrics on this one are on a completely different level than the self-titled (at least in terms of vulnerability, I think).

But that second part of your post just makes me wanna quote Anklebiters, haha. Seriously though, I'm always jonesin' for some sick, distorted guitar and I think that it can find a home in any style of music, so part of me is bummed that there's not much of that on this album (but after hearing the live version of Hard Times and Told You So, I'm excited to hear the new songs in a live setting -- the guitar lines are a lot more prominent there).

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

bgbball31

Yup, casting my vote for this as favorite Hayley vocal. Love it.

I know that I'm probably in the minority here, but I can't help but feel Pool and Grudge are middle of the album filler. And then there's No Friend. One of my friends is obsessed with it because of the lyrics, but they're so buried that I skipped it last time I listened to the album, and probably will going forward. Idol Worship and Tell Me How are standouts on the second half through.

ZeoVGM

Banned
This album I'd fantastic. This is up there with Brand New Eyes and perhaps surpassed it. Will take a few more listens to decide.

Amazing melodies. "Pool" is sublime.

The growth shown here is incredible.

They just announced a US tour. Gonna try for Charlotte, Nashville, and/or Atlanta.

9/06 - Jacksonville, FL @ Moran Theatre*
9/08 - Miami, FL @ The Fillmore Miami Beach*
9/09 - Orlando, FL @ Dr. Phillips Center*
9/11 - Charlotte, NC @ Ovens Auditorium
9/13 - Washington, DC @ MGM National Harbor Theater
9/15 - Detroit, MI @ The Fox Theatre
9/16-17 - Chicago, IL @ Riot Fest
9/19 - Sioux City, IA @ Orpheum Theatre
9/21 - Denver, CO @ BellCo Theatre
9/22 - Orem, UT @ Utah Valley University Events Center
9/24 - Oakland, CA @ Paramount Theatre
9/26 - Los Angeles, CA @ Greek Theater
9/27 - Phoenix, AZ @ Comercia Theatre
9/29 - Houston, TX @ Smart Financial Center at Sugar Land
9/30 - Dallas, TX @ Verizon Theatre at Grand Prairie
10/02 - Atlanta, GA @ The Fox Theater
10/04 - New York, NY @ Radio City Music Hall
10/07 - Boston, MA @ Boston Opera House
10/10 - Bethlehem, PA @ Sands Bethlehem Event Center
10/12 - Montreal, QC @ St. Denis Theatre
10/13 - Toronto, ON @ Massey Hall
10/15 - Akron, OH @ Akron Civic Theatre
10/17 - Nashville, TN @ Ryman Auditorium

Ferny

They just announced a US tour. Gonna try for Charlotte, Nashville, and/or Atlanta.

9/06 - Jacksonville, FL @ Moran Theatre*
9/08 - Miami, FL @ The Fillmore Miami Beach*
9/09 - Orlando, FL @ Dr. Phillips Center*
9/11 - Charlotte, NC @ Ovens Auditorium
9/13 - Washington, DC @ MGM National Harbor Theater
9/15 - Detroit, MI @ The Fox Theatre
9/16-17 - Chicago, IL @ Riot Fest
9/19 - Sioux City, IA @ Orpheum Theatre
9/21 - Denver, CO @ BellCo Theatre
9/22 - Orem, UT @ Utah Valley University Events Center
9/24 - Oakland, CA @ Paramount Theatre
9/26 - Los Angeles, CA @ Greek Theater
9/27 - Phoenix, AZ @ Comercia Theatre
9/29 - Houston, TX @ Smart Financial Center at Sugar Land
9/30 - Dallas, TX @ Verizon Theatre at Grand Prairie
10/02 - Atlanta, GA @ The Fox Theater
10/04 - New York, NY @ Radio City Music Hall
10/07 - Boston, MA @ Boston Opera House
10/10 - Bethlehem, PA @ Sands Bethlehem Event Center
10/12 - Montreal, QC @ St. Denis Theatre
10/13 - Toronto, ON @ Massey Hall
10/15 - Akron, OH @ Akron Civic Theatre
10/17 - Nashville, TN @ Ryman Auditorium

I know they did a theater tour previously but I didn't get to go. Kind of disappointed since I feel like theaters are a different kind of energy than a regular show arena would have?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Just so much good on this thing. "Rose-Colored Boy," "Forgiveness," "Caught in the Middle," "Idle Worship."

My word.

And I had a nice "holy crap!" moment during "No Friend."

NinjaBoiX

So I've listened to it through about 5 times now and it is growing on me a little but...
The first half is excellent, but the album falls apart after 26.
...I couldn't disagree more about this!

The first three "these are the crowd pleasing singles" are probably the worst tracks apart from No Friend (seriously, fuck off) and Forgiveness is a bit of a dud too. Rose Coloured Boy is this albums Aint It Fun for me, everyone seems to love it but I'm not a fan at all!

But Fake Happy, 26, Pool, Idle Worship and Caught In The Middle are the best tracks for me, it gets so much better after those first few tracks.

I'd say Caught In The Middle is my pick at the minute.
And I had a nice "holy crap!" moment during "No Friend."
Explain!

flozuki

Not a hardcore fan but they always had songs I like and I really dig a lot of the new material, right now especially hard times =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom