• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PARAMORE |OT| Line up changes, emo angst, and guilty pleasures (oh, and Hayley gifs!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's What You Get is probably one of their worst tracks, that chorus is bad wrong, Ain't It Fun is one of their weaker ones too imo.

Ignorance, Part II, Fences, Feeling Sorry, (One Of Those) Crazy Girls, Decode, Anklebiters, those are some of my favourites.

There's some top bonus tracks on the deluxe edition of Paramore too:

Paramore - Tell Me It's OK

Man, I can't even really put into words how much I disagree with this. TYWG was one of those songs I fell in love with the first time I heard it.

I actually just went and listened through all of their albums again and my top 10 would be

1.) Aint it Fun
2.) That's What You Get
3.) All I Wanted
4.) Part II
5.) Playing God
6.) Fast in my Car
7.) Misguided Ghosts
8.) Here We Go Again
9.) Brick by Boring Brick
10.) Brighter

I was actually really close to putting Hard Times on it, but it's far too early for that. I just really love it!

Listening to the albums again made me realize that they really have gotten better with each album even though their sound has slowly changed over the course of time. I'm happy that they aren't just churning out Misery Business and crushcrushcrush over and over.

Mistle

It's weird. With other bands I liked from the emo era (Brand New, Say Anything etc) when I go back and listen to them I still really dig it. Still some of my favourite bands and songs, even if I don't listen to them constantly anymore. But when I go back and listen to Paramore I just can't get into it as much, it feels dated for some reason. I actually found myself liking their new stuff a lot more, which surprised me. Of course there's exceptions, some songs still hold up.

My Top 10 would be

Misery Business
Brick By Boring Brick
Ain't It Fun
The Only Exception
Ignorance
Daydreaming
Renegade
Part II
Let The Flames Begin
That's What You Get

With Misery Business being my favorite song of all time ^^

zethren

Banned
Hayley is awesome.

I dig Riot!, and Brand New Eyes was pretty enjoyable.

Hallelujah will always be my favorite Paramore song though, and I still listen to it pretty frequently.

I kind of feel like she should go a solo route, though. Hire backup bands for shows of course, but I think she'd probably release music more often if she did. If that's what she wants, I dunno. Regardless, I'll still be checking out the new album of cooooourse

NinjaBoiX

Just because you peeps need to know about the bonus tracks from the deluxe edition of Self-Titled:

Paramore - Escape Route

Paramore - Native Tongue

And posted on the last page but for completionist sake:

Paramore - Tell Me It's OK

There are also a load of live tracks but these are the tracks you may not have heard. Some good stuff mane! I could've cut some of the other tracks from the album in place of these but there you go.

(The drums on Escape Route are insane, the fills man...)

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Not sure how I'm supposed to take someone seriously when they say the best Paramore song is "one of their weaker ones"

NinjaBoiX

Not sure how I'm supposed to take someone seriously when they say the best Paramore song is "one of their weaker ones"
That's What You Get? Nah man, it's lame, that chorus "that's what you get when you let your heart win" is so cringe, proper teenage diary level emoting, and it's just generally bereft of their usual verve and energy. I often skip it because its a particularly strong reminder of why it's not "cool" to like this band.

It sounds especially limp sandwiched between For A Pessimist... and Hallelujah.

Don't like it at all.

NinjaBoiX

No, Ain't it Fun you goof
Again, as one of the big pop hits on that record it's not as good as Still Into You, and the slightly self-involved "Josh Farro is a dick and I hate him and I want you all to know" rhetoric really starts to wear thin by the time this rolls around.

It's better than TWYG though, I'll give it that.

Chuckie

I think this is actually the first song of Paramore I ever heard. I knew the girl from NinjaboiX avatars of course.

Catchy af. Really 80s. But reading the reactions in this topic it is apparenty totally different from regular Paramore?

Peru

I think this is actually the first song of Paramore I ever heard. I knew the girl from NinjaboiX avatars of course.

Catchy af. Really 80s. But reading the reactions in this topic it is apparenty totally different from regular Paramore?

Nah, you'll hear much of this identity in their previous, self-titled album. Before that they sounded quite different but you can still recognise the sense of melody, the lyrics, emotions.

NinjaBoiX

I'll check it out!
Yeah, as others have said they started out as an emo/pop-punk band but kind of morphed into a flat out 80's synth-pop band. They still have elements of the older stuff in their newer stuff but in the main they're kind of a different band.

In terms of checking out polar opposite stuff to Hard Times, this is one of my favourite live performances of theirs from a few years ago:

Let The Flames Begin/Part II (live)

LTFB is from their second record Riot! but they incorporate elements from Part II, a sequel/reprise of sorts from their last record. It's such a great performance from all of them, the last minute or two is insane.

Chuckie

Yeah, as others have said they started out as an emo/pop-punk band but kind of morphed into a flat out 80's synth-pop band. They still have elements of the older stuff in their newer stuff but in the main they're kind of a different band.

In terms of checking out polar opposite stuff to Hard Times, this is one of my favourite live performances of theirs from a few years ago:

Let The Flames Begin/Part II (live)

LTFB is from their second record Riot! but they incorporate elements from Part II, a sequel/reprise of sorts from their last record. It's such a great performance from all of them, the last minute or two is insane.

Thanks. I'll watch it later on.

I listened to the self titled album and I gotta say, I liked it a lot. They might just have a new fan.

My opinion as someone who thinks All We Know Is Falling is "their" best record is that Paramore has morphed into a band I don't really care about. Hard Times feels more like something No Doubt or (pardon my language) Maroon 5 might put out than the emo band I fell in love with. New song isn't objectively bad but it's not up my alley at all and not really what I wanted Paramore to become, but I'm fine with that. Her band, not mine.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
so this album will be full of happy tunes with kind of darkish/pessimistic lyrics?

eh...I like it a lot.

KittyClouds

Neo Member
This post is made for me. Paramore is my favorite band to date (and I am not a teenager or even close to that age). I agree that as you go back to anything prior to Brand New Eyes it can seem dated and emo which as a genre doesn't hold appeal after the age of 19 or so, but Paramore has grown and matured and I think people would be pleasantly surprised by the music they have put out Brand New Eyes and forward.

Super pumped for their new album. Love Hard Times and Told You So.

Seriously gaf give them a real listen.

valeo

Sounds very CHVRCHES. I like it.

Both songs follow very similar structures, though; so hopefully they mix it up a bit like their last album. Hayley isn't really stretching on either of these either.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds very CHVRCHES. I like it.

Both songs follow very similar structures, though; so hopefully they mix it up a bit like their last album. Hayley isn't really stretching on either of these either.

I've been saying for years...I want an acoustic album.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Paramore ditching emo/pop punk has got to be in the top 10 things that has ever happened in my life. These 2 singles have been certified bangers. I hope the entire new album sounds like them. I like ST a lot but a lot of the deep cuts on that album were still very rock oriented so I couldn't quite feel it fully.

Paramore ditching emo/pop punk has got to be in the top 10 things that has ever happened in my life. These 2 singles have been certified bangers. I hope the entire new album sounds like them. I like ST a lot but a lot of the deep cuts on that album were still very rock oriented so I couldn't quite feel it fully.
I can't help but feel the opposite. I got into Paramore for the pop punk/emo and the older I get, the more I yearn for media that fulfills that need. The world needs WAY more emo, not less.

That being said, Paramore is still my favorite band in all of existence and they have four masterful albums worth of material that will last me a lifetime. They have enough goodwill from me to follow them wherever they go. I just hope they still give some really emo songs while they're off evolving their sound.

Anyways, Told You So is pretty... interesting. I can't say I like Hard Times better because I've already listened to Hard Times about a dozen or so times and it's long grown on me. Not fair to prefer it over Told You So yet :p

Chuckie

My opinion as someone who thinks All We Know Is Falling is "their" best record is that Paramore has morphed into a band I don't really care about. Hard Times feels more like something No Doubt or (pardon my language) Maroon 5 might put out than the emo band I fell in love with. New song isn't objectively bad but it's not up my alley at all and not really what I wanted Paramore to become, but I'm fine with that. Her band, not mine.

I am a huge No Doubt fan, so that might indeed be the reason I love this new Paramore so much.
I also might have the 'advantage' of not knowing the old Paramore.

Peru

I love older Paramore, first half of Riot, the whole angsty angry glory of BNE, but All We Know Is Falling is their weakest by far. Only one I just won't listen to anymore. And it's boring to stay the same and put out potentially lesser versions of your earlier stuff. s/t was amazing, this is great, and they're among the few big important bands in America right now.

Laieon

I feel completely opposite.

Jonnax

Wow. These two new songs are the definition of bland.

RIOT! Had personality. This just generic contemporary music for an inoffensive radio station.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Wow. These two new songs are the definition of bland.

RIOT! Had personality. This just generic contemporary music for an inoffensive radio station.

I love the lies people tell themselves as excuses for not liking a band's new stuff.

Paramore is a pop rock band who puts out albums with radio-friendly songs. That was Riot and that is the new album.

It's okay to simply not like a band's new sound. It doesn't mean they sold out.

Jonnax

I love the lies people tell themselves as excuses for not liking a band's new stuff.

Paramore is a pop rock band who puts out albums with radio-friendly songs. That was Riot and that is the new album.

It's okay to simply not like a band's new sound. It doesn't mean they sold out.

??? Lies? It's my opinion.

I didn't say they sold out or whatever. I don't like their new sound and I think it's generic in the sense that it could be any band songs.

Ragnaroz

??? Lies? It's my opinion.

I didn't say they sold out or whatever. I don't like their new sound and I think it's generic in the sense that it could be any band songs.
After listening to these two new songs, I wholeheartedly agree. Riot! was amazing and I really loved Brand New Eyes but this doesn't even come close to those two.

I don't like the boring parts of these two songs that happen in the final 1/4ish. In Hard Times when she's singing "we'll kick it when I hit the ground" and this one with throwing her into the fire and pulling her out again. They feel like padding.

NinjaBoiX

I don't like the boring parts of these two songs that happen in the final 1/4ish. In Hard Times when she's singing "we'll kick it when I hit the ground" and this one with throwing her into the fire and pulling her out again. They feel like padding.
It's called the bridge and its the parts of these two tracks that I enjoy the most to be honest.

I love a good bridge me.

(It most certainly isn't padding, it's a songwriting technique commonly used in pop music to "bridge" a verse and chorus, typically the last one, to introduce and different melody and shake up the structure a little.)

Mistle

been listening to both tracks and like them, but man I hate how instantly they hit the chorus. give me time to want it, dammit!

NinjaBoiX

Heard Rose Coloured Boy in a record shop yesterday, I recognised Hayley's voice as I walked in but kind of hoped it wasn't them because it was soooo pop.

It was...

I dunno, the first two singles have grown on my a little over time, but I don't think I'm going to vibe off this record that much at all, it's sounding like Taylor Swift levels of little girl pleasing bubblegum pop.

valeo

I find it hilarious that people think that pop-punk is somehow less 'generic' than the pure pop throwback stuff they're going for now. Misery Business, for example, was radio-friendly teenage-girl targeted pop.

Paramore were one of the most generic bands in the scene and there were tonnes of bands that sounded similar. Remember Meg & Dia? Hey Monday? Flyleaf? Hayley is what set them apart.

In my opinion, the only thing released that contained songs with a real identity was their last album. The album as a whole was a bit of a mish mash; sounded like they were trying everything - but man, it was by FAR their best.

I have listened to Paramore since they released their first demos too. I was way into the emo/post-hardcore scene when I was a teenager, but I've outgrown most of it now.

The only bands I listen to from that 'scene' now are Thrice and Paramore. Why? Because they didn't just make the same shit over and over again. They have progressed and grown along with me.

Fun fact: back when people loved Paramore in middle school I heard Misery Business and hated it and thought the band was emo and never listened to anything else.

Then a couple years ago in college I heard Ain't it Fun, Still Into You, and The Only Exception and <3333

NinjaBoiX

I find it hilarious that people think that pop-punk is somehow less 'generic' than the pure pop throwback stuff they're going for now. Misery Business, for example, was radio-friendly teenage-girl targeted pop.

Paramore were one of the most generic bands in the scene and there were tonnes of bands that sounded similar. Remember Meg & Dia? Hey Monday? Flyleaf? Hayley is what set them apart.

In my opinion, the only thing released that contained songs with a real identity was their last album. The album as a whole was a bit of a mish mash; sounded like they were trying everything - but man, it was by FAR their best.

I have listened to Paramore since they released their first demos too. I was way into the emo/post-hardcore scene when I was a teenager, but I've outgrown most of it now.

The only bands I listen to from that 'scene' now are Thrice and Paramore. Why? Because they didn't just make the same shit over and over again. They have progressed and grown along with me.
I think I agree that Self-Titled is their best record but to be honest I think After Laughter might be the end of my time with them, it's sounding like too much of a departure, ST was more pop focused sure, but this literally sounds like a different band.

Despite the really tweeny, saccharine sound of the first two singles I kind of enjoy them now in there own way but I feel like this new record might be too far into the "this is literally what a 13 year old girl would listen to" territory for me.

I'll listen to it a few times and see what I think but yeah, I think they're just a flat out twee, bubblegum pop band now, I might be done.

Ydelnae

The album sounds consistent, but it also feels too same-y. Everything kind of sounds like the two songs they put out and there's no Part II or Proof moment in this record.

Fake Happy, Pool and Idle Worship are the three songs that have been the most memorable to me at first listen. It's a good record, but nothing groundbreaking. I've only listened to their self-titled album, and I loved it. I don't think they have surpassed it with After Laughter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom