• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PARAMORE |OT| Line up changes, emo angst, and guilty pleasures (oh, and Hayley gifs!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
WTF how'd you get it early? Bunch of cheatin ass motherfuckers.

Minarik

The album sounds consistent, but it also feels too same-y. Everything kind of sounds like the two songs they put out and there's no Part II or Proof moment in this record.

Fake Happy, Pool and Idle Worship are the three songs that have been the most memorable to me at first listen. It's a good record, but nothing groundbreaking. I've only listened to their self-titled album, and I loved it. I don't think they have surpassed it with After Laughter.

I agree, there's no song that you hear and are impressed by the performance or talent that it took to play/sing it. It's all fairly boring. Some songs, like Fake Happy or Idle Worship start so strong and then have shitty, generic choruses. Seriously, other than Hard Times and Told You So, you could swap the choruses of all the other songs and likely not notice.

cj_iwakura

I'm really not feeling it... it doesn't sound like a band anymore, it sounds like a vocalist working with a producer. Compare that to Riot and it's night and day.

It's by no means bad, it's just... not Paramore.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
It's by no means bad, it's just... not Paramore.

This is my favorite comment ever whenever someone listens to new material by an artist. Saw so much of this during the launch of the last Grimes album. Bunch of hater bullshit lol

Went through the whole thing earlier and MAN this record slays. Definitely a different style but there is so much going on in these songs, so many little details going on in the background between the guitar tones (even though there's not a lot of straight up distortion, that first chorus in Fake Happy really popped), synth lines, and vocal flourishes. Some really great lyrics on here too.

I was never a Paramore fan, but every single so far has automatically been added to my gym mix because the rhythm is easy to run to. Does the rest of the album continue that uptempo pop trend?

NinjaBoiX

So basically, if you don't like Paramore you'll probably like this but if you do like them you probably won't.

Excellent.

LiQuid!

Album's real good. They finally shed all the bad emo that was holding em back and they've achieved bliss. My condolences, NinjaBoi.

So it's out tomorrow, guess I'll see if it gives me toothache or not.

A popGAF endorsement speaks volumes.

Yikes, you automatically get put into popGAF just because you use slay as a verb? C'mon man, this record SLAYS! The guitar work SLAYS because it's technical and varied and interesting -- there's so much more going on here on guitar than on any of their other albums (even though the guitar parts aren't the central focus on this one).

Really, I don't wanna have to pull out the Paramore Fan Club membership card on this one, but I've liked this band for a pretty long time and this album's a really cool (and interesting) follow up to the self-titled, musically, stylistically, and thematically. Now, I've only gone through the whole thing once so it's not like I'm saying it's the best or anything like that, but it's definitely not a bad record.

Lari

Only heard the album twice so far.
I really love it though, it's a departure for sure. But it's a really awesome record.

bgbball31

I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would so far. Rose-Colored Boy took me a bit to warm up to, but liked it by the end, really liked Fake Happy, and absolutely loved the stripped down 26. We already know Hard Times is great.

Onto the back half of the album.

valeo

I agree, there's no song that you hear and are impressed by the performance or talent that it took to play/sing it. It's all fairly boring. Some songs, like Fake Happy or Idle Worship start so strong and then have shitty, generic choruses. Seriously, other than Hard Times and Told You So, you could swap the choruses of all the other songs and likely not notice.

Damn, this isn't what I wanted to hear. I want more Aint it Fun, One of those Crazy Girls etc

The weirder they got on the self titled, the better it was.

I think I agree that Self-Titled is their best record but to be honest I think After Laughter might be the end of my time with them, it's sounding like too much of a departure, ST was more pop focused sure, but this literally sounds like a different band.

Despite the really tweeny, saccharine sound of the first two singles I kind of enjoy them now in there own way but I feel like this new record might be too far into the "this is literally what a 13 year old girl would listen to" territory for me.

I'll listen to it a few times and see what I think but yeah, I think they're just a flat out twee, bubblegum pop band now, I might be done.

Bro, 13 year old girls have always listened to Paramore and been their biggest demographic. You may be in denial.

daffy

Banned
sounding like some kidz bop b-sides so far

like some shit you listen to while the silly slide is under construction at the kiddle pool

Minarik

sounding like some kidz bop b-sides so far

like some shit you listen to while the silly slide is under construction at the kiddle pool

lol, it's definitely got some stinkers, but some songs are fun to groove to. Pretty sure the band said in an interview they wanted to make songs for dancing, and it shows. Not really a good album to just sit and listen to.

jbttwin

I don't think this is all that much of a departure for them? Shades of Self Titled (still their best album to date) are all over the place here.

So much of this is amazing. Nearly all of it is. It's cohesive, and different enough from what they've done in the past to keep them from sounding stagnant. Hayley's voice is aces too.

26, Fake Happy, and Rose Colored Boy are the repeat-for-days songs here, but I'll listen to the entire record a shit ton over the next few weeks or so.

valeo

Alright, listening now; I kinda love Rose Coloured Boy?

So far this is a great summer pop record (5 songs in). I do wish Hayley stretched her voice a bit more though. I listen to Still into You purely for that part after the bridge.

I could see this just being titled a Hayley Williams solo project and no one batting an eyelid though. I mean, there are only two others in the band now, so it makes sense.

jwk94

This is definitely a pop album, which I'm not really happy about. A lot of it is entirely forgettable, but I can see myself dancing to it if it came on at a club or something. Not really the direction I wanted them to go in after self titled. I didn't even like that album, but I think it's better than this.

I'm struggling to say that some of these songs are good because, in the context of the entire album, what does that mean? Pool's catchy though.

anddo0

Downloading the entire album to Google Play to give a proper listen... After a few tracks I have to agree this is a huge departure. I kinda suspected they would go this way based on a few tracks from their last album. It seems like they've fully embraced it.

valeo

Alright; mostly finished.

This album is overall disappointing - but not because it is poppy. It is disappointing because thee nailed the poppy stuff WAY better on the self-titled already. Ain't It Fun is better than this entire album.

The vocal production is kinda naff on a lot of it.

As someone who struggles with depression and constantly plays the therapist role for depressed friends, Fake Happy and Idle Worship hit hard.

This is literally a perfect album for me. Might beat Riot! as my favorite Paramore album to be honest.

valeo

Alright, so best songs;

Hard Times
Told You So
Rose Coloured Boy
Fake Happy
Idle Worship

Most WTF:

No Friend (but I hate MwY as well so eh)

I'm not getting the "sterilized radio pop" vibe from this anyways, it's definitely poppier but a lot more indie pop than anything else. Calling this a bunch of kidz bop b-sides (as lol worthy as that sounds) is a pretty lazy reading of what's going on with the record. This thing is lush and weird and smart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom