• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spin's 300 Best Albums of the Past 30 Years (1985-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

suplex

Things that stick out immediately to me are:

Supreme Clientele and Fishscale (!) but no Ironman?

Odelay but no Mellow Gold or One Foot in the Grave?

3 Feet High and Rising but no De La Soul is Dead?

No Rust in Peace?

Decent list overall I guess. Nice to see Pauls Boutique so high.

Random thoughts:

1. I need to listen to more music.

2. Not sure why Hot Fuss by The Killers is on this list since only about half that album is worthwhile.

3. Who the hell puts one Michael Jackson album on this list and chooses Dangerous over Bad?

4. They've got the Weezer albums switched.

5. Automatic for the People needs to be way higher.

6. I like Dookie, but number 22?

Things that stick out immediately to me are:

Supreme Clientele and Fishscale (!) but no Ironman?

Odelay but no Mellow Gold or One Foot in the Grave?

3 Feet High and Rising but no De La Soul is Dead?

No Rust in Peace?

Decent list overall I guess. Nice to see Pauls Boutique so high.

No megadeth at all is a shame- no Pantera at all is...???

I should stop looking at this list. It's hard to believe someone working at a music magazine made this.

uhhhhh

why is this not on the list? The best Hip-Hop album of all time.

homepage_large.ddbb9dc6.jpg

Very good album yes.

I would like to switch out the Mos Def+Kweli+Blackstar entry with Black on Both Sides by Mos Def. Definitely one of the best hip hop albums imo (1999)

51sne9Cls0L.jpg

Endtroducing in the top 10 makes me very happy. Just bought the vinyl last week.

Eos

Chronic also has the same acclaim, along with the other two albums I mentioned

Chronic was revolutionary in hip hop, BP was not

Those same publications you mentioned wouldn't put BP over chronic

Thanks for proving me right

breh just because there are albums better than the BP, it doesn't mean the album isn't good.

Yeah, I'd rate Hail to the Thief and maybe even Amnesiac above The Bends.
Hail to the Thief is legit it's one of my favorites. I honestly think they rate the stuff after OK Computer as crap like a lot of other "fans" when in reality it's some of their best stuff. I like Ok Computer as well, but Kid A, and (some parts of) Amnesiac, Hail to the Thief and In Rainbows (with this being their best) are all masterful pieces of work. I honestly think King of Limbs is their only recent misstep.

So now you're changing your argument to putting it over The Chronic? Your initial claim says it wouldn't be ranked high in a list when it's received universal acclaim from major publications. If that doesn't warrant being in the top spots of a list, idk what does.

I'm not changing the argument , it's ranked laughably high when you see the all time classics it is ranked over. Look at the albums they just toss in there like Doggystyle and All Eyez on Me at the end of the list like they were irrelevant lol.

It's a list by people who don't listen to hip hop. Source has Amerikkka's Most Wanted as the number 1 hip hop album of all time. It's hard to argue it's not at least top 5, on this list it barely makes the cut. So again look at how BP is ranked, it's a joke

I shouldn't get worked up over a list of hip hop albums from a magazine like Spin

And just noticed no Siouxsie and the Banshees, this list hurts me so much. I knew there would be no way in hell a group like Cranes gets on here, but to not add Siouxsie and the Banshees hurts.

Courage

I'm not changing the argument , it's ranked laughably high when you see the all time classics it is ranked over. Look at the albums they just toss in there like Doggystyle and All Eyez on Me at the end of the list like they were irrelevant lol.

It's a list by people who don't listen to hip hop. Source has Amerikkka's Most Wanted as the number 1 hip hop album of all time. It's hard to argue it's not at least top 5, on this list it barely makes the cut. So again look at how BP is ranked, it's a joke

Addressing your post and everyone else's complaints, this is all ultimately subjective. It's determined by a consensus formed by the magazine's staff, so of course some albums will be omitted. It has nothing to do with influence/impact or any other type of objective criterion you can think of. It's why I'm more interested in reading an individual's lists over a publication's since the latter mostly includes safe picks that align among all of the staff members.

No Michael Jackson Bad? I'm Not a fan of his but it is one of the most perfect pop albums that have stood the test of time?
Smashing pumpkins Mellon... That should be higher... Way higher for me

graffix13

Although I do agree with #1, not seeing any TOOL at all is kind of disappointing.

Not even Aenima? Even though I prefer Undertow most people say Aenima is their best.

How on Earth has MBDTF become Kanye's most acclaimed album? There are very few songs on there I can listen to all the way through, mostly due to terrible guest verses.

And Nevermind is fantastic, I don't care how overplayed it is.

Esch

Banned
Chronic also has the same acclaim, along with the other two albums I mentioned

Chronic was revolutionary in hip hop, BP was not

Not entirely true. BP definitely played a large part in revitalizing soul samples, kicking off Kanye's career, and deading the 98-00s casio synth swizzy/timbaland stuff that had dominated for years, so it made some waves.

Of course that isn't so much revolution/innovation as much as popularization. Kind of like how The Chronic made what Above the Law did hot.

omgkitty

I guess I can congratulate them on making a diverse list? Not really feeling much of this at all, but at least LCD Soundsystem is in the top 50.

Onemic

Seriously. Personally I think critics just desperately wanted an MJ/Prince figure of this generation to anoint and Kanye made a baity enough rock-friendly album that was easy to instantly canonize, that fulfilled his post-VMAs redemptive arc~

Does anyone seriously think it'd be in these lists if it'd been called "Good Ass Job" as initially planned without that ridiculous masturbatory cover.

MBDTF is easily his best work. Easily.

Like, So Appalled literally shits on everything he's done beforehand and after. And Late Registration is a damn classic.

Some other notes:

- Megadeth's first four albums > Metallica's entire career. The lack of at least Rust in Peace is a shame.

- Pinkerton is better than The Blue Album. :]

- They chose the right Mountain Goats album, but it should be in the top 50.

- Surprised to see the Old 97's on there. I would have picked Drag It Up as the album to place on this list, however.

- No In Search of... by N.E.R.D.? It's easily better than something like Tha Carter II or Usher's Looking 4 Myself.

- Green Day's Dookie isn't THAT good.

- Tegan and Sara's best album is So Jealous, not the crap they went with.

Opinions, eh?

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
oh man. I envy you in a way- though I'm not sure how it's possible to never have heard 295 of these, your mind is going to be SERIOUSLY blown.

Well, it sounds like you would enjoy them way more than I ever would. I go through big droughts of even listening to music that I like.

A lot of that list I don't care for but I'm glad that My Bloody Valentine and DJ Shadow are high and that Doolittle is in the top 20 instead of Surfer Rosa.

Edit: But the wrong Yeah Yeah Yeahs and The Killers is on there. Shoulda been Show Your Bones and Sam's Town.

Well, it sounds like you would enjoy them way more than I ever would. I go through big droughts of even listening to music that I like.

I consider myself a music fan- I enjoyed MOST of these albums at release (or close to it) and with a few exceptions here and there they all continue to hold up very well. I have no problems popping in a few of these now and then, even though just about everything I listen to on a regular basis now is retro-synth that isn't represented here at ALL.

A lot of that list I don't care for but I'm glad that My Bloody Valentine and DJ Shadow are high and that Doolittle is in the top 20 instead of Surfer Rosa.

Edit: But the wrong Yeah Yeah Yeahs and The Killers is on there. Shoulda been Show Your Bones and Sam's Town.
I'm honestly surprised My Bloody Valentine made it on that list, but thank god it did .

Revolver

I see Disintegration and Violator on there so I'm good. Those two albums were a constant soundtrack to my life for a period.

Dead

well not really...yet
I'm honestly surprised My Bloody Valentine made it on that list, but thank god it did .
Id be surprised if the average person working for Spin even cares to listen to that sort of music, and simply includes it on a list like this for lip service.

Id be surprised if the average person working for Spin even cares to listen to that sort of music, and simply includes it on a list like this for lip service.
Yeah Shoegaze really is an acquired taste which explains the complete and utter lack of Dream Pop as well.

Machine

LOL at people expecting Spin Magazine to rate their favorite metal or hip-hop higher. Spin is and always has favored alt-rock. It just dabbles in other genres to appear cooler than it really is. It hasn't even been worth reading since Bob Guccione Jr. sold the magazine in 1997.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom