• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paradox aquires White Wolf from CCP

adj_noun

Gangrel for days

B7LFkV3CUAA0RNQ.jpg

I'm concerned after Pillars. Bloodlines was all about lively characters, and the guys who did that well at Obsidian aren't there anymore.

I think they still have capable writers. Several characters in PoE showed promise, but a misconceived and badly structured story gave them few opportunities to reveal/develop their relationships to the Watcher or the world. Too much of their dialogue was expository and too little was tethered to the central action (except by theme). I know it's strange to argue that a bad plot should give you more confidence in Obsidian's writers, but the way I see it, the writers were hamstrung by a high-level problem that may not reoccur and does not necessarily reflect on their ability to create lively characters. I mean, drop a figure like Durance under a bridge in a Vampire game, and I think he'd be plenty lively.

adj_noun

BTW Onyx Path just posted about this on FB, and it looks like they're quite happy with the news,

From the whitewolf site:

Tonight, the original saga of monsters among us continues! On October the 26th 2015, Paradox Interactive acquired White Wolf Publishing and the World of Darkness. White Wolf is based in Stockholm, Sweden, with a brand new team and a focused vision.

As a separate company owned by Paradox Interactive, White Wolf is dedicated to bringing its gritty and mature brand of participatory storytelling to fans new and old. This vision will be realized in multiple digital games titles, across a full range of media and immersive live-action events.

Had they been doing the live action stuff recently, or is that a bit of a revival for them too?

Hey, I'm all for them trying! If they succeed, my god it will be glorious.

Here's my thinking:

First, you need to go turn-based, just to simplify some of the complex stuff you'd be doing gameplay-wise. Then, you let players use a spellcrafting system that allows for a number of major variables (say, target: self/melee/ranged(sphere)/ranged(line)/etc, modify attributes (including health for immediate damage/healing, physical/mental buffs and debuffs), time, and so on.

You could even have pre-built options for players who would rather pick stuff and maybe tweak it.

Then you build some kind of unique stealth system for the whole "don't openly use magic" thing. Or did that change last time WoD got a rewrite?

New Changeling would be great. I would also be interested in seeing someone try to translate Promethean (it even has a built in endgame), but I could also see that being a nightmare.

There's definitely a Silent Hill Real World transitioning Otherworld vibe that could be used for Promethean. And the creature design could be fantastic if done right.

SerRodrik

Yeah, it was a classic case of the publisher dicking over the developer and the developer catching all the blame.

So what you're saying is Obsidian would be the perfect developer for a sequel?

Seriously, though, that's super shitty. Troika was a great studio, they didn't deserve to go out like that.

dude

dude
Here's my thinking:

First, you need to go turn-based, just to simplify some of the complex stuff you'd be doing gameplay-wise. Then, you let players use a spellcrafting system that allows for a number of major variables (say, target: self/melee/ranged(sphere)/ranged(line)/etc, modify attributes (including health for immediate damage/healing, physical/mental buffs and debuffs), time, and so on.

You could even have pre-built options for players who would rather pick stuff and maybe tweak it.

Then you build some kind of unique stealth system for the whole "don't openly use magic" thing. Or did that change last time WoD got a rewrite?
The main problem here is that spells are too combat oriented. In Mage you'd mostly use spells for utility and crazy creative solutions. Maybe going with more of a problem solving system rather than pure combat system will work better?

Luq

Their old games were really good but only vampire title i wanna see is the next Legacy of Kain

it wont happen, i know :(

Chariot

It was the first game that came out using source iirc predating hl2. It was a little bit janky but I never saw the issues a lot of people complain about.
You must have good luck. Vanilla Bloodlines is basically unplayable because of the many gamebreaking bugs.

Jigorath

Banned
I don't really care about the pen n paper stuff but Bloodlines is one of my favorite RPGs. Would love another game like that.

The guy who wrote Durance quit the company, though...

Well, we don't know how much of Durance's final text is Avellone, although he certainly feels like an Avellone character, so I'll concede I chose a poor example. But I think Hiravias and Kana are also as vivid as many of the NPCs in Bloodlines. It's the context (so-so personal missions and little to contribute to the main storyline) that lets them down. Their distinct goals, sensibilities, and language patterns would pop in the small roles required of most Bloodlines NPCs.

Vinland

Banned
I have no idea why CCP acquired the licence in the first place, they accomplished nothing but throwing money into the fire with their failed MMO project. Glad it's with a competent studio for a change.

Well first off they got an established brand with fans. An existing product line still sold for way too much money at bookstores around the world. All the tech for WoD got pushed into EVE.

White Wolf had production ties to CCGs and that afforded Eve to have for a brief time a decent CCG. I still have all my cards.

It got them their offices in Atlanta here in the States where a the state of Georgia gave good tax breaks to media companies trying to drive more IT jobs to the state.

Furthermore, CCP are competant. Not all things have to have a Cinderella story.

Azih

CCP is competent at EVE. They weren't at all competent in managing the WoD IP.

Why not license it out to other developers to make single player games why they slogged along with the MMO?

Why kill fan projects keeping the Vampire goodwill alive for free?

Cleve

Have you played it without the fan patch? It is a very buggy game.

Once you do patch it, the game is easy to have fun with. Except the sewers. Which is a moment that happens in a lot of RPGs made on a budget. Divine Divinity is another example of a game that would probably be irrefutably classic if Larian didn't run out of cash and have a publisher pushing them to add more content at the end.

You must have good luck. Vanilla Bloodlines is basically unplayable because of the many gamebreaking bugs.

I guess I got lucky. I played it at launch and other than having to reload saves because I got literally stuck in the hotel once I don't remember any issues.

Wait, people don't like Pillars of Eternity writing?
I thought it was amazing.

I can't speak for people generally. I think Pillars of Eternity has a lot of good writing (by the medium's standards anyway). But the story is a mess, and that has serious knock-on effects.

misho8723

Banned
I guess I got lucky. I played it at launch and other than having to reload saves because I got literally stuck in the hotel once I don't remember any issues.

I played the game from the launch day and didn't had any major problems or bugs with the game.. texture clipping, some crashes and some sound files missing were the worst when it came to this.. and after some time they did release the 1.2 patch and after that the game was running better and faster, so I think it was ok.. game was in better state than many modern games

StMeph

I would love to see the game handed off to Harebrained for the writing and Larian for the technical development (or just use their engine from Original Sin) if it's an isometric RPG. If they're going first-person like Bloodlines, I sincerely hope it's not on Bethesda's Euphoria used in Elder Scrolls and Fallout. Please find something else.

Also, to everyone immediately jumping to attach Obsidian to the project, what was the last game of theirs you really enjoyed? Pillars of Eternity? Fallout: New Vegas? I don't think they've been extremely impressive in their last releases, and the people responsible for them are gone now anyway. The studio is mostly trading on its name, and I doubt Obsidian can capture half of what Troika did with Bloodlines.

StereoVsn

So can we expect an expansion pack for CK2? :)

Also, I greatly enjoyed Fallout New Vegas and PoE was pretty good as well (getting better with expansions).

Psyren

Please give me an Exalted game...

Anim

Great news. CCP has done squad with the Vampires: The Masquerade IP. Hope Paradox hires someone worthy to work on the sequel.

CPP actually did one worthwhile thing with VtM and WoD in general: as already mentioned earlier in the thread, they licensed it out to Onyx Path - a company comprised of a few White Wolf veterans, who over the last couple of years not only produced a lot of great new material for the new WoD (they published two new game lines: Demon: The Descent and Mummy: The Curse, with a third one - Beast: The Primordial - just released to Kickstarter backers today), but also resurrected the old (or classic) WoD by publishing 20th anniversary editions of Werewolf: The Apocalypse, Mage: The Ascension, Vampire: Dark Ages and some supplements for VtM 20th (Wraith and Changeling are on the way).

Here's a paragraph from the current front page of www.white-wolf.com

The whole thing they wrote on there makes it's sound like the team at White Wolf is happy about this, and that's a good thing.

Well, they are operating as an independent company under Paradox, sounds to me like a huge step up to what you read about the relationship between WW and CCP.Vamprie is the safest bet. Just let them make a successful Vampire game and other franchises are sure to follow.

Guys, there was no White Wolf before this, so there is no one to be happy other than new employees from Paradox. For the last couple of years White Wolf existed only on paper - all writing and publishing of new material has been done by Onyx Path. Let's hope that Paradox and this new White Wolf will still want to continue working with Onyx Path - there is a strong community and talent around them after all, so it would be stupid to ignore it.

Anim

There's an article on VentureBeat with some more information. These two paragraphs are especially interesting:

“We’re going to start licensing out the brand again from the beginning,” said Wester. “We’ll start with one World of Darkness. We’ll start, basically, from day one to unite the community under one flag.”

Moving forward, the new White Wolf will begin analyzing its current deals and licensing agreements to see which ones make sense. If something is working, Sjögren said he plans to keep it around.

This is honestly very worrying for the pen and paper side of things. It seems to imply that Paradox is going to ignore the new WoD and focus solely on the old one. Furthermore, the comment about analyzing licensing agreements is quite strange - Onyx Path is the only licensee, so it would seem that Paradox is questioning their abilities, which is frankly kind of insulting.

Chariot

There's an article on VentureBeat with some more information. These two paragraphs are especially interesting:

This is honestly very worrying for the pen and paper side of things. It seems to imply that Paradox is going to ignore the new WoD and focus solely on the old one. Furthermore, the comment about analyzing licensing agreements is quite strange - Onyx Path is the only licensee, so it would seem that Paradox is questioning their abilities, which is frankly kind of insulting.
I don't know, I like the old WoD more than the new one.

Yeah, it was increasingly clear that CCP wasn't going to do anything with the IPs, and frankly I can't think of a better buyer as far as gamers are concerned.

Top Bottom