• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I've started playing more with D.Va's boost... I mean.. that is just a god tier movement. the range on it is crazy (one of the highest leaps in the game) and cooldown is like 4 secs. The best part is that (for now) players don't even expect it. I had a 76 attacking down from a balcony, I shielded, and he still stood there and just switched targets FACING AWAY FROM ME. Best part is he got a knockback plus damage from the boost (I think that's right) and then fell to the guns in the face.

but yeah, so is her headshot like the entire center of the mech??????

yes, with actual damage. You should kill most offense and support, and a bunch of defense, with just the drop.

Yes, she is pretty easy to head shot. Like, if they make her harder to headshot she'll be the bulkiest character in the game with all that armor plus get secondary form.

Ardenyal

Spent a defend match as a pocket Mercy for a Zaria, usually works out nicely with my friends. He spent the whole match everywhere except the payload :D

Fugu

Yea could be all those scenarios together lol.

I would've recommended just switching if no one could stay alive, but he/she put up the most damage so I guess it didn't really matter.

I think Fugu explained their team was all over the place and dying way too quickly? But generally, I would expect one of three scenarios to be true:

1) my team is shit; everyone is always dead
2) other team is shit; can't hit the broad side of a Roadhog
3) RAMBO MERCY AYIYIYIYIYIYIYIYIYIYIYIYI
This was several pages ago but I'm going to answer anyway!

I play as Mercy almost every game because my laptop is shit and I get about a quarter of a second of input lag. With that in mind, it goes without saying that a damage number that high and a healing number that low is an aberration, but it's quite easy to explain.

If my teammates are doing something that I know is going to get us both killed, I, as a rule, don't heal them. I think many people would say that this is a bad attitude but it's totally necessary as a Mercy player to decide not to do things that are a bad idea since she drops really easily and she, like most characters, is worthless when dead. In that particular game my teammates were doing a lot of running to the point single file. I basically never get behind players when they do this and tend to wait or force my team to group up since Mercy's benefit is multiplied in the presence of more players.

In bad games, my allies function like the creeps in MOBAs: They spawn and then continuously throw themselves at the point, hoping something good will happen. However, even with the best support out there there isn't anything I can do to make that strategy work, so I didn't bother. I just shot a lot of turrets and harassed their Widow because nobody else would.

In short, players shouldn't expect Mercy to go in on their dumbass "plan" just because she's a support character, especially if that plan entails you attempting to fight six people at the same time by running directly at them and maybe using your alt.

To wit, sometimes I deal damage without abysmal healing scores:
P1WPm1V.jpg

I remember hoping the random hero brawl would return, but the first few games I had with it were less than great. Today's rounds were better, though. Every time I played Bastion I felt kind of awful because he wrecks when the other team can't counterpick. Also, creative placement is real fun with Bastion.

I do kind of wish you got two or three deaths per character, though. Sometimes I'd have just enough time as a character I rarely played to get used to what I was supposed to do, then *bam* dead.

Fugu

You probably shouldn't have pocketed him then.
I can't help but feel that "pocketing" is nearly always a very inefficient strategy as the person who is most useful at the time won't necessarily always be that person. It might also just get you dead a lot more since Mercy dies often enough in 1v2 situations.

Jblanks

I can't help but feel that "pocketing" is nearly always a very inefficient strategy as the person who is most useful at the time won't necessarily always be that person. It might also just get you dead a lot more since Mercy dies often enough in 1v2 situations.
Yea I don't like being pocketed when I'm tank which is quite a bit. I feel like I'm obligated to kill whatever is shooting my healer putting alot of pressure on me and some heroes like tracer/genji/pharaoh are hard to take down as a tank. That's why I usually prefer a Lucio as a healer because he just has to stay close to give me heals and can speed boost me out of trouble if needed. Also sometimes I get wrecked because I'm turning around to pop a shield as Zarya on mercy and taking away my line of sights from the enemy.

I feel like the best mercys are constantly moving from injured teammate to teammate which also makes it harder to get killed.

Duraigo

I just joined the Overwatch GAF Squad on PS4. Who's ready to have an above average on a good day once in blue moon Zenyatta player on their team?!?!

Your favourite character interactions?

Mine is

Mei: "You're just a no good bully, how can you even look at yourself in the mirror?"

Junkrat:" I beg your pardon, I consider myself a freedom fighter, uh misunderstood."

and

Junkrat: (After seeing an ally Roadhog get a kill) "I knew there was a reason I kept you around, and it wasn't the sparkling conversation"

JTripper

Lol other team was trying to turret cheese us on Anubis at the beginning so I just switched to Zarya and got my Power Overwhelming trophy. That was easy!

Nazo

I don't know how it is on the PC or on Xbox but it seems like the meta on PS4 has just devolved into if your on a Control or Payload map and if your defending just run 3 Torbjorns and a Smyetra and you just can't loose. The entire game is just the 3 Torbjorn's alternating using their molten cores and just locking down an area.

Seriously, the speed at witch Torbjorn can get his molten core is ridiculous.

I think the last 12 matches I've played have had that same set up. Whats even worse is that those teams then decide to quit when its their turn to go offense. Like every god damn time.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
My D.Va eats Widowmakers for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Yes, D.Va is a Widow hard counter. But nobody is terrified or has to comp around a D.Va like they do with Widows right now. Nobody gives a fuck if the enemy team has a D.Va.

Ironic since she's actually a hard counter to a lot of things. She's just very situational.

Fugu

Yea I don't like being pocketed when I'm tank which is quite a bit. I feel like I'm obligated to kill whatever is shooting my healer putting alot of pressure on me and some heroes like tracer/genji/pharaoh are hard to take down as a tank. That's why I usually prefer a Lucio as a healer because he just has to stay close to give me heals and can speed boost me out of trouble if needed. Also sometimes I get wrecked because I'm turning around to pop a shield as Zarya on mercy and taking away my line of sights from the enemy.

I feel like the best mercys are constantly moving from injured teammate to teammate which also makes it harder to get killed.
Mercy's advantage over Lucio is that she can actually save a player -- sometimes even two or three players -- due to her rapid healing rate. Lucio, in most games, will heal a much greater amount (somewhere between 30-50% more I'd say) but is less able to decide the outcome of individual bouts without his ult. If you're not flying around saving people, Lucio is probably the better pick.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Mercy's advantage over Lucio is that she can actually save a player -- sometimes even two or three players -- due to her rapid healing rate. Lucio, in most games, will heal a much greater amount (somewhere between 30-50% more I'd say) but is less able to decide the outcome of individual bouts without his ult. If you're not flying around saving people, Lucio is probably the better pick.

The only reason Mercy would / is picked over Lucio is the ult, not the actual healing.

Mercy might be a more efficient healer, but her bigger issue is that Lucio is a much less squishy target. His self-heal and general survivability are just much higher so as to negate, at least in my opinion, the advantages of her healing.

Yes, D.Va is a Widow hard counter. But nobody is terrified or has to comp around a D.Va like they do with Widows right now. Nobody gives a fuck if the enemy team has a D.Va.

Ironic since she's actually a hard counter to a lot of things. She's just very situational.

She excels in 1v1 matchups (not to the extent of McCree, but she's got an edge in forcing 1v1 matchups), but that movespeed penalty + short range + low-ish damage combines to make her largely a liability in a larger brawl, which is where Shit Gets Done, generally.

I have gained something of an appreciation for how her E can help her push a payload, though.

Good games, Franchise, Redmoon, uh...the...other one. I don't remember your name. :( That match where there was a Lucio and 5 D.Va was really fun. I didn't die once until they got soldiers out later on, ahaha.

Having played a bunch of hours already, my favourite characters are D.Va for Attacking and Junkrat for defending. D.Va is amazing going through the altarante routes with a Mercy and fucking widowmakers and tbjorn turrets leaft and right. Her thruster is the best thing ever. And when capturing the point, if you use cover well to force them to enter your mech is going to die, but start straffing with her and shotting your pew pew gun and sometimes you can turn them crazy and make serious damage (I kill pretty often while on human form), better if theres another character with a stop a group of enemies final attac, or the team enter at the right time. I also love moving the payload with here defending the rest of the characters.
Junkrat is fucking about while you hold your position, as im not really good at bullseye shooting, I prefer something with splash damage and explosives bouncing walls.
I also like Mercy a lot when supporting good players that know what to do.

I thought no mercy's damage boost is an underrated part of her kit - particularly if you have a competent team, she adds much more to damage boosting up a McCree or S76 firing from behind the tank than lucio does firing his gun.

If you don't have a competent team, damage boosting a bastion is still nuts

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
How did you deal with them?

I was on a team of 6 Torbjørns the other day, and we destroyed the other team. They never killed more that 1 turet at a time, and then it was back up again within seconds.

I have a hard time imagening how a pub team of randoms can deal with that, so i will have no idea what to do if i ever face one.

You pretty much have 12 guns pointed at you through a choke point, 6 of them with auto aim and almost instant tracking + 6 guys spamming armour packs at each other. And Torbjørns main gun is pretty good aswell i think, both at range and in close range.

I should clarify that they were a bit haphazard at the start, playing a bunch of different heroes, and we took A quite easily. Then they all switched to Torb in a desperate bid for defense, but we were already on top of them.

You can fly around the sides as D.Va and get to that bridge behind the point really quickly. They had one turret set up there and were putting up another. I boosted across the bridge with DM up to scatter them. Finished one off around the corner before turning back to deal with the turrets. I boosted back across the bridge to where two more Torbs were coming up the stairs from the spawn, and I may have been unlucky were it not for Mercy flying in, helping me to take them both out. Boosted out to take point B to find the rest of my team already there, dealing with the remaining Torbs.

Maybe that was just one example of getting lucky, and they were likely disorganised. Like I said, the turrets could do with some tuning on console, but even in a group he's not unbeatable.

Nice try game, but I'm not gonna play D.Va, sorry.

So envious! I play her all the time!
Praying for one of those epic skins... Either Junker or Scrapper, I don't care. Either one will do, please.

Rhaknar

"Widowmaker OP" is like a PC-meta only thing right?

I'm level 32 on console and have seen like, one good Widowmaker ever.

Well first of all probably. But secondly, this is things people are running into in the 80+s and you are facing 100+s.

Fugu

The only reason Mercy would / is picked over Lucio is the ult, not the actual healing.
I think it's a bit of both. Mercy's healing is more decisive than Lucio's in most situations, whereas Lucio simply heals a greater amount. Damage boost is also great albeit situational. As for the ults, it goes without saying that Mercy's has a much greater YOLO factor and is generally more useful but Lucio's is hardly a slump.

Honestly, I think if you assess them as a whole that Lucio is a stronger character, but a) both are very viable and capable of being used at any level of play and b) Lucio is boring as shit to play.

Mercy might be a more efficient healer, but her bigger issue is that Lucio is a much less squishy target. His self-heal and general survivability are just much higher so as to negate, at least in my opinion, the advantages of her healing.
I don't think Lucio's survivability is that much better than Mercy's if you're talking about players that can aim well, and Mercy is about as useful in a 1v1 situation under the same parameters.

A lot of players don't seem to realize that you can cancel the flying towards teammates to make your movement less obvious/stupid. Mercy has the power to be pretty slippery if her team, including the person playing her, is awake.

Redmoon

Good games, Franchise, Redmoon, uh...the...other one. I don't remember your name. :( That match where there was a Lucio and 5 D.Va was really fun. I didn't die once until they got soldiers out later on, ahaha.

I started laughing uncontrollably when I saw all those D.va's charging in while scoped. After a couple minutes of laughing I had to swap off cause widow is basically useless against that many :p . Went with 76, then an enemy proceeded to insult me at the end lol. Was a fun game though.

Also I'm very sad that I didn't get my McCree 2 punch a basket ball into the hoop recorded :((( First time I ever scored

And apparently I was pressing the wrong hotkey for my mic so I was never actually talking to you guys with callouts n stuff

Skii

Man Reaper is so good. Never appreciated how versatile he is. Close range he's pretty much got anyone beat except for McCree. And his added mobility and defensive capabilities makes him my go to offensive character over McCree now... DIE DIE DIE.

I'm on level 15 now and have just got my second purple loot drop (no legendaries yet)... Is this bad luck or are these the drop rates? Man it's such a grind to get what you want. It takes me like 2 hours to get one level.

Xeteh

I can't hold onto 1000 coins. Got to buy an epic like a highlight intro or emote

Yeah, I had 1k earlier and was having issues deciding what skin to buy, eventually I settled on Toasted for Junkrat because I have Fool and haaaaate it and I'm not a big fan of Hayseed.

Once I get back up to 1k I'll probably buy Architech for Symmetra

Apathy

why even bother trying to help my team by playing a support when they play like shit and are too scared to attack.

no more helping idiots, I'd rather be the one pushing if they are too scared

Fugu

Man Reaper is so good. Never appreciated how versatile he is. Close range he's pretty much got anyone beat except for McCree. And his added mobility and defensive capabilities makes him my go to offensive character over McCree now... DIE DIE DIE.

I'm on level 15 now and have just got my second purple loot drop (no legendaries yet)... Is this bad luck or are these the drop rates? Man it's such a grind to get what you want. It takes me like 2 hours to get one level.
I have killed a Reaper at close range as Mercy more than once. I feel like he's actually pretty weak at 1v1s and is best utilized in situations where his opponents are distracted.

Tracer too.

why even bother trying to help my team by playing a support when they play like shit and are too scared to attack.

no more helping idiots, I'd rather be the one pushing if they are too scared

My life

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I think you just fought bad reapers.

Though his shotgun isn't as effective on small hitbox targets. Still pretty effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom